Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default "The Headpat" - A Femme's Place

This discussion didn't really feel at home in very many other threads in the zone so I wanted to start one here.

When I think of "headpatting", I think of how there have been times when it felt as if a Femme was expected to "know her place" in discussions, times when Femmes speaking up about their opinions were met with placating and patronizing.

I am interested in hearing from other Femmes about times they have felt "headpatted" by Butches, Transmen, and other Femmes. How did it manifest? How did it feel? Why do you think it happened?

I have had this discussion with a few of my girlfriends over the years but am interested in an expanded discussion.

Have you felt headpatted as a result of exercising a dominant voice? Do you see this as a symptom of sexism? Do you see this as a tool of silencing?

I'll add more in a bit.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not sure that i am on the right track here with what you are saying but i'll give my .2

When i think of head patting done to me personally, I see it more online than in person. For the most part, people take me pretty seriously in real time at least with peeps that know me well.

I've seen it thrown out to other people probably more than i have endured. I've also saw the phrase said when i wasn't sure if that was really what was going on. Of course no one would really know that except the parties involved but i would bet i've seen it as an excuse during a disagreement as well.

Again, personally, I'm not superwoman and i do have feelings but usually i pay no attention because to myself i think "you have no clue who the hell you are dealing with". I think our femme community as a whole, is so strong and so formidable that it usually is called out quick. I know it is done here occasionally, but i think it isn't near the degree of what i've seen on other sites and in real life. Thank goodness.

Now in real time, in the bio world, i see a lot of head patting directed toward women in general. This has been going on for eons.

I want to throw this in because it is true that online i've seen it the other way around too. Femme's doing head patting to masculine folk and to other femmes.

It certainly goes both ways.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

not really understanding the term headpatting however getting the jist of it by means of the explanations set forth.

personally I have dealt with this by means of beig silenced and or patronized. This often times is irritating because I have a voice an opinions when this happens I will usually dismiss myself from a conversation and or excuse myself all together from the room. This has happened not only in my community here however also by bio men as well as my gay brothers.

This has also happened with femme friend here in my community where many times I have been expected to or told to "dumb" down so that I become more likeable, I won't dumb down for anyone I'm not sure if this is even a part of this headpatting thing.

recently I experienced some conversations where I wasn't even heard and spoken to as if I had no brain...I no longer speak to that person.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Thoughts

I tend to experience this here (online) and via bio men and on a bad day when she's cycling my mother wants to do it. It's mostly when I have something to say that is either an opinion or a correct observation. It pisses me off and when I tend to call the person out on it, the deflection and bull shit back peddling starts.

I experienced it with Femmes more on a academic level, it's hard to pick out if said person can pretty it up with big words.

Either way that kind of shit makes me want to yank someone's hair out or at least that's the kind of feeling that arises when it happens.

I see folks head pat submissives.bottom identifed butches, men, transguys that too is tied to some serious sexism and other ugly shit or with butch women I see it when they have opposite views on hard conversations. It's pretty icky.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I have to commend several butches and genderqueer folk on this site for supporting my voice here. I am not quiet or demure or whatever gender stereotypes would suggest I ought to be. I really appreciate the thanks and comments I have gotten from them over the years -- even when they have disagreed with me.

Offline, I have to agree with Belle, I don't get a lot of it. Sometimes someone will say something "helpful" that is crossing a boundary, meaning I didn't ask for their advice and they don't know me well enough to just offer it without my asking. A look is usually all it takes.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
GreeneyedMe

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sweet Femme ones
Relationship Status:
Peeking around the corner...

Thanked 4,375 Times in 804 Posts
GreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I find it rude and demeaning. Hurtful, disrespectful. Like a femme is supposed to sit quietly and look pretty and not be heard....um, no.

I have a strong voice and opinion at times....I will be heard. I would not appreciate a headpat as a way to silence me....at all.

It has been done to me in the past, and I sweetly yet firmly suggested it not be done to me again.

It feels awful...like you don't matter in the situation....

I am not a dog....reserve headpatting for the furbabies please.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I do find headpatting incredibly dismissive and, thusly silencing. I've seen it happen both here and in rt and it plays out across the gender spectrum.

Usually, when it happens directly to me, it's coming from a factory model man and it's usually my boss.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I have been head-patted before by people I have dated. It did not produce the desired result, unless it was that they wanted to be single. I am a strong, intelligent, sensitive, empathetic, outspoken, and opinionated woman. I know my place, it is existing and being treated as an equal within my personal relationships.

I feel fortunate to be a part of this online community, where people are taken to task by moderators and other members for "head-patting" type behavior, and because of this, it does not seem to rare its head here often.

This has happened to me multiple times at work and other times in my life as well. However, I think that the question posed in this thread was aimed toward experiencing this within our own community on and offline.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I didn't reveal my age here for a long time because I knew I'd get headpatted. There there, you're not old enough to have any idea.

I'm 28. I've had personal tragedy. I've suffered from illness. I miscarried the only child I was ever able to conceive some years ago. I grew up with a special needs brother and a drug-addict father, my mother doing the best she could. I've loved very deeply. I've lost very painfully. I've travelled. I've lived alone. I've had an education. I've worked hard and enjoyed it.

I may not know what someone else knows, no matter how old they are, but I have my own experiences. I have not welcomed or courted condescending behaviour from anyone, and those who are politely asked to refrain are courteously despatched if they don't stop. I also refuse to condescend to anyone on the basis of age.

Butches, I'm sorry to say, are the most condescending. Sometimes femmes, but mainly within my own local community this happens (it's a femme-eat-femme world here, I'm afraid.)

Suffice to say that although it's tempting, when someone says to me, "When I was your age, chicken, back in the day..." to respond with "SHADDAP OLDZ LOL", I never would. But sometimes... sometimes... I know who I am and I know better than they do, but it would be so terribly satisfying. Swat the hand that pats me, indeed.
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Oddly enough I am rarely, if ever, head-patted in my real life. I get the occasional head pat locally in environments that are related to cars, home improvements, etc. Part of this may be because I'm female....and part may be because I truly don't know what is going on most of the time in these areas and it shows.

Tcountry and I laughed about this when hy came out to fix my roof. We were in Lowe's, in the tool section, and hy was about 6 or 8 feet in front of me. No doubt I had a bewildered look on my face, standing there in my floral dress, when a very nice man came up and offered me his card.....general handyman services.

He did not offer one to T.

Is this condescension? It could be seen that way. I prefer to think of it as good marketing and a good sense of who future customers might be. And, yes, I kept his card.

I have NEVER experienced a head pat in my professional work, even though I work with a lot of bio-males, and many people who technically outrank me in the workplace.

Where I have most often experienced it is in our community....online...and most often by femmes.

I think, in part, it's because they don't actually know me. They may have read my posts for years, but if we've never met then they only THINK they know me. I think the anonymous nature of the internet makes people more willing to be rude, condescending, or just plain nasty.

In person, I doubt the same dynamic would be in play.

Having said that....has it happened often here? No. It's been isolated, and only from a very small handful of people.

I prefer to think of it as their issue, not mine.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

In real life I encounter a lot of headpatting from bio-men. Whether there's something about my demeanor or my voice, bio-males have always been condescending toward me. It's the attitude of 'aw look, she has an opinion' and everything I say becomes a joke or cute. Most women don't do this to me as far as I've noticed. With bio-men, first comes the smirk, then the voice softens or raises an octave or two, then he speaks slowly to me as if to a child. I know who I am now, but it is frustrating. It caused me to develop all kinds of defensive measures namely my self-effacing sense of humor. I basically learned to beat them to the punch and now it's hard to turn that off. I can be humble and try to be gracious, but truly I'm not weak just because I don't fight back. I will simply assume someone is an idiot and not worth the effort after a few chances. Butches don't do that to me to the same degree, BUT I have felt that many butches make themselves the focus of every conversation. They interrupt me frequently or position conversations so that their thoughts and opinions are the default and everything I say is gauged against the standards they created.

I don't know if that’s just my experience or if there's something I do that triggers that kind of attitude. I refuse to act like someone I'm not just to get someone to take me seriously. I won''t engage people like that. They get tuned out and I lose interest in the conversation.
Angeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Angeltoes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Lucky for me I am so clueless half the time I do not register snark or head patting online. The only place I can say I have experienced this is talking about religion and that was butches and femmes who did the head patting because obviously I am intellectually inferior because I believe in G-d.

In real time I deal with head patting from butches and cisgendered men on occasion. It does not bother me but does make me sad sometimes. I feel bad for anyone who can't see me as a human being instead of a collection of stereotyped gendered behaviors.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

in r/l, whenever i'm head-patted it's typically because i dont, as a rule, tend to be taken seriously in the first place. this is all a huge change for me. 10 years ago it never would have happened.

in a lot of situations i tend to come across as unsure and awkward, at best, and to be reticent in charged situations. i also dont really take myself seriously anymore. less and less so over the last 5 or 6 years actually. i find it unrealistic to expect that people will treat me respectfully if they see that i lack basic self-esteem or that my self-respect is something that resides on shaky ground.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Yes!

Why yes, I just did.... Imagine that...
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i get head-patted rather frequently in real life, although it's often hard to tell the reason (ageism, ableism, sexism, racism). people frequently treat me as though i'm much younger than i am, and talk down to me. i've experienced some of that here, although i've felt more of it here over my age than because i identify as femme. most of my head-patting comes from older white men (and sometimes women) whom i work with. every now and then it'll be from a woman or man my own age or younger.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
I tend to experience this here (online) and via bio men and on a bad day when she's cycling my mother wants to do it. It's mostly when I have something to say that is either an opinion or a correct observation. It pisses me off and when I tend to call the person out on it, the deflection and bull shit back peddling starts.

I experienced it with Femmes more on a academic level, it's hard to pick out if said person can pretty it up with big words.

Either way that kind of shit makes me want to yank someone's hair out or at least that's the kind of feeling that arises when it happens.

I see folks head pat submissives.bottom identifed butches, men, transguys that too is tied to some serious sexism and other ugly shit or with butch women I see it when they have opposite views on hard conversations. It's pretty icky.

this. First thing i thought about when i read the first post of this thread.

i've been head patted by someone who made the mistake of thinking i am subservient to the world because i am someone's submissive.

We got that straightened out.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post

this. First thing i thought about when i read the first post of this thread.

i've been head patted by someone who made the mistake of thinking i am subservient to the world because i am someone's submissive.

We got that straightened out.

This is such a salient point from you and Snowy and really speaks to perceived power. (and I don't mean that disrespectfully).
I'll try to muddle through this as best I can - Like, I think about how some of the head-patting I have been on the receiving end of has been from folks who perceived themselves to be in positions of power over me. Either as a Top, a "Daddy", an older person, a thinner person, a more educated person, etc.

How have you addressed this in your own experiences?

I have usually said something along the lines of "You may be a Daddy but you ain't *my* Daddy" and "That's great that you are older and have more experience but this is what *I* have experienced".

I do try to be mindful of my own head-patting stuff when talking to other folks and keep an open mind so that I can always learn from other folks without my own filter of "already know".
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Breezy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 4,555 Times in 1,199 Posts
Breezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST ReputationBreezy Has the BEST Reputation

I had to ask someone if this meant literally patting me on my head or was I missing something. I was missing something and the butch did not make me feel badly about having asked.

It has happened to me. It has happened so much I did not realize it most of the time. I thought it was normal. I thought it was just the way butches, some femmes, transmen and some cisgendered men behave. I thought something was wrong with me and I must have said something embarrassing or so totally off base others did not want to hear from me. I was so wrong. I am capable, intelligent, kind and respectful. No one has the inherent right to stop me from speaking, thinking, feeling or going anywhere anytime I please unless it s illegal.

How did it feel? It felt belittling, confusing, condescending, anger inducing, crazy making and it hurt. I would wonder what in the hell is going on? Why am I being shut down? Why can the other person say it but I cannot? Why, when my speaking voice is low and kind, am I being told don't speak to me that way? I discovered this is simply the inner landscape of the person speaking and has absolutely nothing to do with me or what I have/had to say. It had everything to do with the speaker.

Has it happened to me here? If it has happened it didn't register. If it has I also look at it this way, I'd rather be happy than right so knock your socks off. I'll walk away and leave you alone with your head patting once I do realize it.

Universe just handed me an assignment, this thread for reading and speaking. I am recovering from being shut down, shut up and told what I said and did was wrong most every time unless it was supportive of the speaker.

Thank you for posting this.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Breezy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I think I've experienced this more from bio-men than any other group. I find that it happens most often in conversation...either a conversation between me and another, or if I am part of a small group of people conversing. The person speaking (as I said, usually a bio-male) will use a "big" word, and then pause, turn to me, and feel the need to explain what they just said...dumbing it down, of course. This infuriates me. First, if I don't understand something...I have no problem asking the person speaking to clarify their statement. Second, just because I am blonde (oh those stereotypes at work!) it doesn't mean that my hair has somehow seeped into my brain and strangled it. And last, but not least, the fact that I have a vagina doesn't lower my IQ. When this has happened, I've often said to the person "I understood perfectly what you said and didn't ask for an explanation. What made you assume I didn't understand you?" I've never gotten an answer.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi

Last edited by always2late; 12-16-2012 at 11:14 PM.
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Head patting experiences...

Not many on line. If I feel like head patting is a persons way of interacting with femmes I tend to not enjoy their company and avoid them. Once I believed someone was "head patting" and I addressed it. Often it doesn't register. And I am learning to distinguish it.

In the B-F or larger queer community...
Sometimes but again I avoid the "head patting" folks. I also have very little experience with community (work and parent that's what I do) so that limits my response pool.

from Cis-men...
I get head patting in relation to cars, the weather, driving, fixing things, etc. I can either raise the point of my actual skill level or acknowledge my skill deficits and welcome the advice with a reminder that it is impossible to tell from my female status what I already know.

From other women...
It drives me absolutely batty and happens frequently. It happened recently at work with a woman supervisor. It was appalling and I still haven't figured out how to address it with the actual person. Some women I talk to about it with get it others just dismiss it. As part of what we are expected to put up with. I am trying to understand my very angry response. I'm not ready to address it calmly yet.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post: