Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Femme Zone

The Femme Zone For all things "Femme"

Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation
Default Save My Skin!

Recently, I have been afflicted with the most horrific chapped skin ever.

I don't know why it's so horrific this year, but my hands are chapped and dry to the point of bleeding.

It's really unattractive.

I have tried lotioning frequently, but not to excess.

I dry my hands immediately after washing, I never let them air dry in the cold. I do not use hand sanitizers very often, since my skin has shown signs of resentment.

I wear (really cute) gloves outside.

Please.

Save my skin.

Give me your secret skin tips.

*The chapped broken skin is limited to the tops of my hands

**This is in the femme section, not because butches don't have hands or skin but because I am a femme and this is myyyyyyyy thread. Your secret skin tips are welcome, too, gents.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:
Finding my immortal soul one giggle at a time.

Odarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to all

Check the ingrediants on the lotion. Many lotions have alcohol and can actually be somewhat drying.
Shea butter or mix of almond oil and jojoba does happy things for me.G'Luck.

Edited to add: Oh- and Burt's Bees has a product called "Farmer's Friend" that can be quite useful.
Odarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Odarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Anytime I've asked the pharmacists (I work at Wal-mart in the HBA section so people come in looking for lotion for dry skin) they recommend Eucerin as they use it for a base for stuff they make. I've recently found hand and cuticle cream (i think it's Eucerin, small tube, blue, like $4.82) that has worked wonders. I use hand sanitizer a lot and wash my hands at work since I'm always touching stuff, and the tops of my hands were chapped and flaky and rugged and gross, but this has helped it (and done wonders for my cuticles!).

I know my father use to use Bag Balm when he worked construction (now called veterinary balm, in a square tin and now in the pet section, around $7-ish).

Hope that helps perhaps!
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Have you considered going to a Dermatologist? I used to have a similar condition and the only thing that helped was beef fat - when I made hamburger patties - and that was only temporary. No lotions - and I tried them all - helped. When I worked for a Dermatologist he diagnosed my problem as a form of eczema and the treatment he developed for me helped. You might have that or something different. If you are cracking and bleeding you need to be careful about infections.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Daktari

*sidles into Femme zone*

ebay is your body product ingredient friend.

Try mixing (food grade) cocoa butter with some shea/almond/avocado/apricot (et al) butter. These items are all available on ebay (uk - and I'm sure on ebay usa) and cheap enough -usually - to try experimenting with the mix of butters that suit you.

Or go the oil route and find the mix of oils that work for your skin.

There are numerous websites dedicated to making your own skin products.

*sidles out again*

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

There were a lot of suggestions on the "Nail Me" thread - all about manicures. Some of note were to use polysporin if the skin is actually cracked, and to use the cream meant for cow's udders (which is what desdansmoncoeur was referring to by "bag balm" I think). Your best price for that would be at a feed store. The other thing that Snowy mentioned for nail and cuticle health was to take vitamin E gel caps, open them and spread it over the nails and cuticles. I wonder if that would help boost your skin health? (after the cracks are healed, of course)

My contribution is a hand cream called "Glysomed" - a German product if you can find it. Thick, absorbs well and not greasy. The best hand cream I've ever had.

Good luck! Cracked skin is SO uncomfortable!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
miss entycing

How Do You Identify?:
dangerous, but worth the risk.
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice.. it's that easy.
Relationship Status:
CapitalM's carved upon my skin.

Location: on the southern edge of sanity, under a carolina moon.
Thanked 8,262 Times in 2,255 Posts
miss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputation

you can also try a Paraffin (sp) hand treatment- a type of deep penetrating wax.. usually at a nail salon- not only feels wonderful, but it works really well.
best of luck to you sweetie

True strength lies in submission which permits one to dedicate their life,
through devotion,
to something beyond themselves.

Whenever someone awakens fully,
it affects human consciousness at a collective level.
It is like dropping a stone into a dark murky pond.
Ripples of light...
Not one word need be spoken.

miss entycing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Hello Selenay, you have been given a lot of great suggestions for taking care of you chapped hands. Here are a couple from me...

1. Do go and see a dermatologist.
2. Paraffin is wonderful, but some states don't allow this, because it is not able to be sanitized. They do however sell personal Paraffin machines in Wal-mart or any type of drugstore. A trick I learned about paraffin is to slather your hands with a heavy duty lotion before you dip your hands, once your hands have been emerced into the paraffin cover them again (saran wrap) and wrap them and let the paraffin stay on until cold.
3. Try using aqua fore (sp) It feels kinda like Vaseline and a little goes a very long way. Eucerin makes a great cream but it can seem rather heavy at first.
4. Drink more water!

Good luck!
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Don't dry off after you bathe or wash your hands. Put lotion on your damp skin and let air dry or pat dry. Also Burt's Bees apricot baby oil works great slathered on damp skin..or really any oil...I just like the apricot smell.

The oil mixes with the water...emulsifying and soaks into your skin better. At night sometimes maybe slather up all over after a bath, put on PJ's (cotton or flannel) cotton socks and cotton (or bamboo) gloves (or more cotton socks on your hands).

Works great on my ultra dry skin and is not expensive...but you have to be consistent with it.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

look for 'lanolin creme' --it's what they give breastfeeding mothers in the hospital for their chapped nipples and it works wonders on dry hands.

lanolin is an amazing *glandular secretion* wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
IrishGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Leatherdyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/non-monogamous

Thanked 1,209 Times in 366 Posts
IrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I know this is going to sound crazy but..apretty made me think of it when she mentioned breastfeeding. When I was breastfeeding, my nipples were SO raw, I could barely feed my daughter. They were cracked and bleeding, and chaffed. SO, someone told me a great trick. I took regular tea bags, soaked them in hot water for a few moments..and layed them on my nipples. NOTHING worked like the tea bags!! I've also used this trick when my skin was cracked and brittle, and it works really well. I usually would do it once a day, sometimes more, depending on how bad they felt. The active ingredient is the tanic acid..it's such a healer!! Try that, then put on some really great cream.
IrishGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Great tips!

What about a small humidifier to add moisture to the air?

I have a pot of water on my steam rads and it is really helping (nasal dryness and itchy skin).
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
robbrt

How Do You Identify?:
huckleberry/white patsy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/mx
Relationship Status:
tectonically shifted road warrior

robbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputationrobbrt Has the BEST Reputation

Bag Balm works well...

http://www.bagbalm.com/
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

sweet almond oil is really good and a lot less expensive than neutrogena [sesame formula].
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default skin

Hey go to www.Kellysoaps.com order a jar of the bath salts. It's loaded with all kinds of oils and it smells so good just rub it on while you're in the shower and your skin will be soft and smooth. Also Emu oil is awesome too. But if you want a cheap low cost fix, petroleum jelly, (vaseline) put it on while you're still in the shower with the water running, that works great too.
JAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've had this problem, and in Florida, so it very well may not be related to the weather. All the lotions and slathering and dipping and parafin suggestions have been really good. I employ some of those techniques now with varying success.

I've found, in terms of OTC, that Gold Bond Medicated lotion with Aloe and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula lotions work well for me. The NNF tends to feel and look like Vaseline at first. It gets better when you rub it in.

Whoever mentioned checking the label is a smart cookie. Alcohol is very drying as are some of the acids commonly listed.

Even using lotions and creams, I found that it just wasn't enough. So I went to a dermie and he prescribed Clobetasol Propionate for me. Even when the cracks were really deep and I had layers of them on top of one another (that was NOT fun, I assure you), this stuff worked for me. I haven't really had that issue in WA, which is weird to me (and led to the whole 'weather doesn't matter' line of thinking) because it's very dry up here and cold.

Good luck finding something that works for you, Selly.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Years ago, a dr. recommended Curel (original) and white Dove soap for my dry skin. I haven't had a problem since.

You might also change your soap to something less drying? Some soaps (Dial, for example) are the worst for stripping your skin of natural oils.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
DressyFemme

How Do You Identify?:
FEMME
Relationship Status:
MARRIED :)

DressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST ReputationDressyFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Smile Dermasil....

I have had terribly dry, calloused, cracked feet and dry skin on my feet.

My partner was prescribed Dermasil lotion, which you can get on ebay. Just the regular (not advanced) formula will do. It's also available OTC or you can ask your pharmacist for it.

I have tried sweet almond oil, badger balm foot salve treatments, etc. Nothing has worked as well as the Dermasil. You put it on your feet before going to bed and then drape the feet over the side of the bed. You know it's working when it tingles a little. Leave feet over bed for about 20-30 minutes.

Probably works on the hands, too! (I'd use it on your feet then rub what's left into your hands and put cotton socks on over your hands at night).

Best of luck - I know it's painful!!

Dressy
I am a member of LinkedIn’s Largest LGBT+ and Welcomed Allies Professional Networking Group. Today if you are comfortable being 100% out or supporting LGBT people please come join me and the currently over 42 Thousand Global Members. The group is 100% professionally oriented. We all need to stand because Visibility leads to Awareness and Awareness lead to Full Equality (and keeping it).

Join Us.
Here’s a direct link to the group >> https://www.linkedin.com/groups/63687
˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄ ˄
DressyFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DressyFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
femmy1

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, femmy, femmtastic
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

femmy1 will become famous soon enough

I love bag balm... but a good idea.. is to put some on before bed and slip on a pair of soft white cotton gloves to sleep occasionally. It does wonders !!

For the restof me, my sister turned me onto LUSH lotion bars...
O.M.F.G

here's a link-- I get the wiccy its good stuff.. even better than that ... decadent would be a good descriptor.

f1~
femmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to femmy1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Sel,

Get ahold of The Honey Chile..

She made this stuff for me and the Orange One, well not for us only but for her pet as well..

It was heaven, and I was silky as a rose petal..

True story..

I need more
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote