Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Femme Zone

The Femme Zone For all things "Femme"

Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #21
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I do a lot of tile work and the grout dries out my hands so bad that they feel like sand paper, and they crack and bleed around my knuckles. I use Aquafor, and I apply it right after my shower, and then again right before bedtime...and I put socks on my hands. Yes, I feel silly doing it, especially when trying to turn off my nightstand light; as I forget to do that prior to putting on the socks.

Good luck with whatever you end up trying!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #22
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
Some of note were to use polysporin if the skin is actually cracked, and to use the cream meant for cow's udders (which is what desdansmoncoeur was referring to by "bag balm" I think). Your best price for that would be at a feed store. The other thing that Snowy mentioned for nail and cuticle health was to take vitamin E gel caps, open them and spread it over the nails and cuticles. I wonder if that would help boost your skin health? (after the cracks are healed, of course)
Bag Balm/Veterinary balm is for the cow's udders, yup.
I've seen Vitamin E oil, could that be applied as opposed to breaking open the gel caps? Just think it would be less messy. Apply to a cotton ball and maybe rub it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
Hello Selenay, you have been given a lot of great suggestions for taking care of you chapped hands. Here are a couple from me...

1. Do go and see a dermatologist.
2. Paraffin is wonderful, but some states don't allow this, because it is not able to be sanitized. They do however sell personal Paraffin machines in Wal-mart or any type of drugstore. A trick I learned about paraffin is to slather your hands with a heavy duty lotion before you dip your hands, once your hands have been emerced into the paraffin cover them again (saran wrap) and wrap them and let the paraffin stay on until cold.
3. Try using aqua fore (sp) It feels kinda like Vaseline and a little goes a very long way. Eucerin makes a great cream but it can seem rather heavy at first.
4. Drink more water!

Good luck!
I think there is Eucerin Original, and then Eurcerin Aquaphor. Not sure on the difference exactly, I think the Original is thicker. As for the paraffin, the pharmacy carries paraffin baths with wax refills (at least my Wal-mart does).
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #23
Unndunn

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
doesn't matter to me
Relationship Status:
single

Unndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST Reputation

I think you've already gotten some great responses, but I would add that you should make sure that your thyroid levels are in the normal range. Dry skin can be a symptom of hypothyroid. Normally it would be your whole body, not just your hands, but it's worth asking about at your next check up.
Unndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unndunn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 AM   #24
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have not tried the Bag Balm, but I have heard WONDERFUL things about it....right now, Austin is experiencing some of the lowest humidity levels we have ever had! 16% this morning!

I've been using Shea Butter (Bath & Body Works) and it's pretty good for short term. I also got a parafin bath thing at Wal~mart...it's still in the box! lol But parafin feels WONDERFUL, too!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #25
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

I've been using Shea Butter (Bath & Body Works) and it's pretty good for short term. I also got a parafin bath thing at Wal~mart...it's still in the box! lol But parafin feels WONDERFUL, too!

Mine is still in the box too!

Ha!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #27
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

In the spring when I am in the throws of gardening, my hands become particularly rough and chapped. Now, salves can be particularly greasy, but vasoline combined with cotton gloves while you sleep, followed by a moisturizing lotion several times during the day, works wonders. Aveda hand relief lotion is a wonderful product. Has a soft, lovely, lemon vanilla fragrance.
This method also works well for those "rusty" heels *laffs and obviously you would use cotton sox in place of the gloves. Aveda has a fabulous foot relief lotion as well, with a soft peppermint fragrance.

*I just can not stand greezy (yes, greezy) palms
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #28
LieslKate

How Do You Identify?:
Prime Lesbian Femme Feminist Submissive Amazon Dyke Riot Grrl... :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
the Feminine...
Relationship Status:
single

LieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant future

A couple of things crossed my mind reading though the thread...

If someone has started a low fat diet that is too low in fat ('cause your body needs some to actually function well) it can lead to dry skin and hair not to mention constipation... make sure you are getting enough EFAs (essential fatty acids) in your diet as well as mono-saturated fats like olive oil and avacado oil... stay away from artificial fats like those in margerines and butter substitutes.

Eucerin and many other creams are made from differently sourced urine... might want to check the ingredient list. If you are vegetarian or vegan you may be compromising thoe choices as its being absorbed into your body... more than one way to injest something !
"Eucerin dry skin products rely on the main ingredient of urea to fight itchy, scaly skin. Urea is a chemical compound that is produced in the waste stream when metabolizing proteins in mammals. It is manufactured in the liver and is expelled as the chief ingredient in urine." (mammals includes humans). For more info and other options go to...
http://www.skinsosilky.com/dryskin/30-eucerindryskin.htm

Checking the thyroid hormone levels are also a great idea but do need to be aware of the side effects of levothyroxin and synthroid (2 most common prescribed thyroid hormone replacements) such as heart palpitations, elevated heart rates and heart attack - myocardial infarction is the most common...

Applying a light oil such as sweet almond or sesame right after bathing or showering while the skin is still damp works well as do any of the Aveeno products (no urea) and a few million Italian women can't be wrong with centuries of using olive oil for hair, skin and cooking/eating it !

AND Drink water... hydrate and moisturise from the INSIDE out... 2 quarts / liters a day does it and flushes the kidneys!

LieslKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslKate View Post
A couple of things crossed my mind reading though the thread...

If someone has started a low fat diet that is too low in fat ('cause your body needs some to actually function well) it can lead to dry skin and hair not to mention constipation... make sure you are getting enough EFAs (essential fatty acids) in your diet as well as mono-saturated fats like olive oil and avacado oil... stay away from artificial fats like those in margerines and butter substitutes.

Eucerin and many other creams are made from differently sourced urine... might want to check the ingredient list. If you are vegetarian or vegan you may be compromising thoe choices as its being absorbed into your body... more than one way to injest something !
"Eucerin dry skin products rely on the main ingredient of urea to fight itchy, scaly skin. Urea is a chemical compound that is produced in the waste stream when metabolizing proteins in mammals. It is manufactured in the liver and is expelled as the chief ingredient in urine." (mammals includes humans). For more info and other options go to...
http://www.skinsosilky.com/dryskin/30-eucerindryskin.htm

Checking the thyroid hormone levels are also a great idea but do need to be aware of the side effects of levothyroxin and synthroid (2 most common prescribed thyroid hormone replacements) such as heart palpitations, elevated heart rates and heart attack - myocardial infarction is the most common...

Applying a light oil such as sweet almond or sesame right after bathing or showering while the skin is still damp works well as do any of the Aveeno products (no urea) and a few million Italian women can't be wrong with centuries of using olive oil for hair, skin and cooking/eating it !

AND Drink water... hydrate and moisturise from the INSIDE out... 2 quarts / liters a day does it and flushes the kidneys!

oh god! pee! ......
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Ingress

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Daddi's girl

Ingress will become famous soon enough

Lots of good suggestions here but I would recommend going down the natural route and avoiding all the petroleum based products. Blush mentioned soap and that's one of the biggest problem causers along with wash/shower gels that contain sodium laureth sulphate, a really strong detergent. Look out of cleansers that do not contain this and I think coupled with the use of natural oils and butters, you'll see a remarkable difference in no time.
Ingress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #31
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

So many great suggestions!

I so agree with all the oil ideas...and cocoa/shea butters.

I've been using >>Alba<< cocoa butter body lotion for about 2 weeks now and I *love* it. I've tried lots of cocoa butter lotions and this one has been the best so far. I also smells devine.

My hands get really dry at work for some reason, so I use >>Bath & Body Works<< hand creme. It also smells yum. But really, it is just so moisturizing without being greasy.

Best of luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #32
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

I have been using Miracle of Aloe Miracle Foot Repair Cream.
It is not just for feet. It works realy well and when that is not enough I grab some aloe off my porch and go the route.
The miracle cream is made in the USA and is evironmentally friendly and not tested on animals.
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #33
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
I have been using Miracle of Aloe Miracle Foot Repair Cream.
It is not just for feet. It works realy well and when that is not enough I grab some aloe off my porch and go the route.
The miracle cream is made in the USA and is evironmentally friendly and not tested on animals.

I know someone else that uses foot repair cream on her hands. She started using it on cracked and dry heels and decided to try it on chapped hands. It worked so well, she bought more cream for future use.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #34
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
Recently, I have been afflicted with the most horrific chapped skin ever.

I don't know why it's so horrific this year, but my hands are chapped and dry to the point of bleeding.
I don't know if this might apply to you, but I've noticed that the difference between having a dishwasher and not having a dishwasher is cracked and bleeding skin... hot water and dish detergent strip the oils right out of a person's hands lickety-split. Combined with central heating that dries the air, that can spell disaster for hands.

If that might be the case for you, the answer might be to wear gloves when washing dishes. Also, a liberal application of Vaseline covered by thick white socks (or gloves) while you sleep will heal some really badly chapped skin pretty fast, sometimes in a day or two. (Generic brands don't seem to work as well as Vaseline, dunno why.)

Whatever the case may be, Selly, I hope your hands feel better soon!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
LieslKate

How Do You Identify?:
Prime Lesbian Femme Feminist Submissive Amazon Dyke Riot Grrl... :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
the Feminine...
Relationship Status:
single

LieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchiegirl View Post
oh god! pee! ......
YEP... PEE ! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

LieslKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My hands are prematurely aged from gardening without gloves for years. Plus, I wash my hands about 30 times a day.

I swear by Curel Lotion. http://www.curel.com/moisture.asp

I use dish soap that has lotion or hand protector built into it. When it's really bad, Mary Kay has a collection called "Satin Hands" that will make your hands look great in minutes.

http://www.marykay.com/spabody/bodyc...2/default.aspx

Oh, and I can't forget another great one. Hemp hand lotion. It has a bit of a weedy smell but it penetrates and makes dry skin really soft.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hemp/prod5950023

Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #37
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

Burts bees works great.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #38
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Topical ointments and lotions are very usefuk and needed for sure.
But if this is really bad it sounds like it needs to be addressed inwardly as well

Most definately by drinking water..alot...And laying off any caffine and carbonated producks for a few days.

Also, Green Tea is very food at bring elasticity back into the skin from the inside out. Also very good for complection.

Just a thought.

Also by taking vit E...It also helps to regenerate the skin from inside out.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #39
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Lots of comments about hand care here. I use Obagi skin products (yes even some Butches/TGs want nice skin). It's mostly focused on facial skin. Been using them for around 5 years now.

T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #40
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Old butch hear...I have the same prob when I work as a chef as I wash my hands many times a day..The thing I use is called udder butter,works great and has no alcohol in it or anything to dry ut skin.It comes in a round or sometinmes squre jar with a cow on the front.I swear its the best I ever used.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote