Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1841
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I Shudder at Your Touch-22 Tales of Sex and Horror

Steven King, Clive Barker and 20 others.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #1842
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I'm rereading George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Season 3 of Game of Thrones is awesome and it's been awhile since I've read the earlier books in the series.

I'm a little irritated that Martin is releasing The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister at the end of this year. It's a lesson in patience, since I really want the next book in the series instead, and he takes so long to write them.

Call it an irrational fear, but George isn't a young man and the times when I consider that he could potentially die before finishing the series are pearl-clutching moments.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #1843
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,087 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

I picked this up the other night.....

PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #1844
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Dr. Feelgood: The Story of the Doctor Who Influenced History by Treating and Drugging Prominent Figures Including President Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis Presley
by Richard A. Lertzman , William J. Birnes

&

12th of Never: Women's Murder Club, Book 12
by James Patterson , Maxine Paetro

&

Adult Children of Alcoholics workbook

& Re-reading

A Short History of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

A nice mix of history, trash and personal growth. lol
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #1845
LukeCian
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Jake Tulane
Relationship Status:
Can you adjust suspenders and a bow tie?

LukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST ReputationLukeCian Has the BEST Reputation

Piece of Cake - Cupcake Brown

The Coldest Winter Ever - Sister Soldier

Private - James Patterson
LukeCian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LukeCian For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #1846
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

The Four-chambered Heart by Anais Nin

Lesbian Polyamory Edited by Marcia Munson
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #1847
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,586 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading (and really enjoying!) Butch is a Noun by S Bear Bergman
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #1848
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation
Default catching up

just finished with old mail.

now on to the instructions for a leveling product that i hope works.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #1849
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Just listened to the CD of:

"Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church" by Lauren Drain and Lisa Pulitzer"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Banished-Surviving-Westboro-Baptist-Church/dp/1455512427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368014671&sr=8-1&keywords=banished"]Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church: Lauren Drain, Lisa Pulitzer: 9781455512423: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I think it's read by the author but I could be wrong. In any case the reading of it is just beautiful which makes a big difference to me for books on CD.

It's an amazing book that I'm sure I will listen to again at some point. For those who don't know, Westboro Baptist Church is the "God Hates Fags" church. It's about how this girl, now woman, Lauren's, parents ended up moving their family to Kansas and joining the church. It's a fascinating in depth look at this religious cult and the psychology of the people involved from the inner workings of the church day to day, particularly Shirley Phelps. Highly recommended but chilling.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #1850
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,004 Times in 9,946 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Here's what I borrowed from the library yesterday:

Patrick Swayze: One Last Dance.
Leigh, Wendy (2009)

Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickenson and Her Family's Feuds.
Gordon, Lyndall (2010)

Her Blue Body Everything We Know (Earthling Poems 1965-1990).
Walker, Alice (2003).

"There Are Things I Want You To Know" About Stieg Larsson and Me.
Gabrielsson, Eva (2011).

How Stella Got Her Groove Back.
McMillan, Terry (1996).

And I checked out a 4-disc dvd collection, a British drama series from Masterpiece Theatre (PBS): Upstairs, Downstairs (Anniversary Edition).

eta: I'm half way through the book about Patrick Swayze which is not only about him, but also about Lisa (his wife), his mother (Patsy) and his father (Big Buddy) and their family of friends, but also incredibly insightful about the man himself, his accomplishments as a dancer and actor and how he owned his life - no matter the circumstance, no matter the outcome. I am enjoying this book immensely.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1851
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

i just started the Lesbian Adventure Club series by Rosalyn Wraight
They are fun and a quick read
Uh Huh Her
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #1852
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Read a great little piece of lesbian fiction titled "Lexington Connection" (by M.E. Logan, http://www.bellabooks.com/9781594933233-prod.html) about a week ago. Really enjoyed the characters and was happily surprised at the depth of the story considering the size of the book and the fact that the sexy times begin on Page 5. I recommend it.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #1853
BBinNYC

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Fine with he or she. Just don't call me late for dinner.
Relationship Status:
married to the best femme in the world

Tournaments Won: 2

BBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lesbian Romance Novels

I recently read a ton of these because I wanted to understand the formula so I could write one. Most of the ones I read are not badly written, very focused on the romance (not very literary), and pretty vanilla. Most are not butch-femme but a few hint at it. All in all, they are worth a read if you need some escape. I put a list together for a friend. Here it is:

The ones with a * are the ones I like the best!

1. Heart Block* - Melissa Brayden: Rich, white, blonde CEO who never gets into relationships (but sleeps around a lot), Emory. Her mother dies and she hires Sara (Latina, single mom, not identified as a lesbian) to clean out the mansion of a house and give everything away. Good characters and writing.

2. Wild Things* - Karen Kallmaker: Rich, white attorney/politician in AA after alcohol addiction avoids relationships in order to keep a squeaky clean image so she can run for State Senate, Sydney. Her brother is dating Faith, a U Chicago history professor who is very Catholic and still living with her very Catholic parents at age 34. Faith has a lesbian past she is trying to forget.

3. Waiting in the Wings - Melissa Brayden: Jenna is a blonde dancer/singer/actor who majored in musical theater and gets her first big break in the touring company of a hit show which stars Adrienne, a former teenage actress. Romance ensues until Jenna gets a big offer to work in LA and they break up. Four years later, they are cast in a movie together.

4. Come and Get Me - Julie Cannon: Lauren is an in-house attorney for a Fortune 500 company, not sure of her sexuality. Elliott is a rich head of her family's venture capital fund. Elliott sleeps around. They meet and at the point when things get steamy, Lauren tells Elliott this would be her first time with a woman. Elliott freaks, thinking she's being played. The rest of the book is their coming back together.

5. The Princess Affair* - Nell Stark: Princess Alexandra (Sasha) is second in line to the British throne and has a reputation as a party girl. She's a closeted lesbian who sleeps around a lot. Kerry is an Irish Catholic Rhodes Scholar who comes to Oxford to study architecture and meets Sasha. Can they reconcile their different worlds?

6. Too Close to Touch* - Georgia Beers: Gretchen is a sales executive starting a new job. Kylie is the girl next door and is Gretchen's assistant. But you can't fall in love with your boss or your assistant. Can you?

7. Love Waits - Gerri Hills: Classic reunion story. Gina, a former high school jock, and Ashleigh, a blonde cheerleader, fall in love in high school and break up their first year of college after a terrible miscommunication. Neither has found real love over the next 20 years. They attend their 20th high school reunion dreading seeing one another.

8. Starting From Scratch - Georgia Beers: Avery pines after the local bank branch manager, Elena, who she believes is out of her league. After being asked by her friend to coach a T ball team while her friend recuperates from surgery, Avery meets a little boy named Max. One day Max shows up at Avery's backyard and begins playing with her dog. Her mom comes by looking for him and she is none other than Elena.

9. Learning Curve* - Rachel Spangler: Ash, a butch about town who never sleeps with the same woman twice, is convinced by her best friend to sit in on a support group for LGBT youth where she meets Carrie, a women's studies professor who volunteers with the youth. The book is about their growing attraction, romance and how they reconcile their two different worlds. It also features the story of a young lesbian struggling to get away from her homophobic mother.

Last edited by BBinNYC; 05-09-2013 at 05:47 AM.
BBinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BBinNYC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #1854
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
Woginrich, Jenna

On it's way....can't wait to start reading.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1855
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

"The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith (lesbian romance)

Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist and short-story writer most widely known for her psychological thrillers, which led to more than two dozen film adaptations. Her first novel, Strangers on a Train, has been adapted for stage and screen numerous times, notably by Alfred Hitchcock in 1951. In addition to her acclaimed series about murderer Tom Ripley, she wrote many short stories, often macabre, satirical or tinged with black humor. Although she wrote specifically in the genre of crime fiction, her books have been lauded by various writers and critics as being artistic and thoughtful enough to rival mainstream literature. Michael Dirda observed, "Europeans honored her as a psychological novelist, part of an existentialist tradition represented by her own favorite writers, in particular Dostoevsky, Conrad, Kafka, Gide, and Camus

So far my favorite quote from this book;

"You’re about as weak as this match.” Carol held it burning for a moment after she lighted her cigarette. “But given the right conditions, you could burn a house down, couldn’t you?”

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #1856
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Just listened to the CD of:

"Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church" by Lauren Drain and Lisa Pulitzer"

Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church: Lauren Drain, Lisa Pulitzer: 9781455512423: Amazon.com: Books

I think it's read by the author but I could be wrong. In any case the reading of it is just beautiful which makes a big difference to me for books on CD.

It's an amazing book that I'm sure I will listen to again at some point. For those who don't know, Westboro Baptist Church is the "God Hates Fags" church. It's about how this girl, now woman, Lauren's, parents ended up moving their family to Kansas and joining the church. It's a fascinating in depth look at this religious cult and the psychology of the people involved from the inner workings of the church day to day, particularly Shirley Phelps. Highly recommended but chilling.
Thanks sweetie. i just bought it and it looks great thanks for sharing.
Uh Huh Her
The Following User Says Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1857
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"the saddest girl in the world", cathy glass

"cherry bomb", j.a. konrath
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #1858
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Queer South Rising: Voices of a Contested Place, edited by Reta Ugena Whitlock.

From the back cover:

Queer South Rising is a collection of essays about the South by people who identify as both Southern and queer. Essays explore the complexities of the Southern place while questioning notions of a universal, homogenous LGBT, queer, identity. Essays explore topics ranging from religion, politics, sexuality, race and education, inviting readers interested in the South and queer themes to engage with the narratives it holds. Whitlock has sought, in collecting these essays, to shatter perceptions about a nostalgic, romanticized Southern culture in general.

"This is simply wonderful! Reading these pieces is invigorating- like getting a call from my mama- as if she had never died and had just been hiding out in the moutains somewhere. Suddenly I feel like I am not alone, that I have family close by. These essays are resonant powerful tales and wonderfully complicated examinations of what most of the world does not even acknowledge, my people and our messy lives." - Dorothy Allison

I have an essay in the book, so yeah, I'd recommend it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #1859
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation
Default What am I reading

Pop culture and The De Vince Code

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1860
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

Break Down by Sara Paretsky - a V.I. Warshawski book.

Just started but I liked this:"He only wants to marry a strong woman so he can wrestle her to the ground and grind the life put of her."

Last edited by Wryly; 05-11-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading