Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #101
Jacie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and not looking to change that.

Jacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST ReputationJacie Has the BEST Reputation
Default I Don't!

In my youth, I drank, smoked, did any drug offered me, and ran up credit cards in effort to drink, smoke, and do any drug offered me. Basically, I was always broke because I was an idiot. Not the best of money-saving strategies!

Now that I am a responsible sort, and make a pretty decent living, I do not deny myself the things I want. Of course, the essence of those things has drastically changed.

I suppose I save money by no longer drinking (well, now in moderation), smoking, and doing drugs. I also save money by not having a partner to lavish with tokens and gifts of admiration!

Being single is a pretty effective money-saving plan!
Jacie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #102
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

For sure being single saves a person some bucks
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #103
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,910 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I'm thinking about getting a small chest freezer to fill with meat when it goes on sale. I saw a small one at Lowes for under $200. But I don't know if it would fit in my small house? It would help save money though, when the sales are real good.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #104
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation
Default I don't.

I'm an impulse shopper and I truly get a high from it. I guess I can say that I save money in other areas.

I quit getting my nails done and pedi's at the salon after I had a fungus dream and did some research. I went monthly at a minimum of 75 bucks.

Eating vegan saves quite a bit of money. Less options to eat out.

I don't smoke at all or drink very rarely. $1213563213466 savings.

Yeah...that's all I got.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #105
boioboi

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
they/them or ze/zer
Relationship Status:
Happily Committed

boioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputation

I rarely go out to eat, canceled our internet at home, volunteer at a local store to get 35% off our food, use eBates (it's an awesome site -- get money back for your purchases online -- see referal link below), and shop the sales. Oh, and buy clothes second hand.

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrer...%3D&eeid=28585
boioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boioboi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #106
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, so I'm seriously giving some thought to saving money so I can afford to cut back my hours at my fulltime job. Basically, work 4 days a week instead of 5. I'm going to get that chest freezer here soon, since I found a great new butcher shop that is very reasonably priced. That way I can stock up on meat much cheaper than grocery store meat, and better quality. I will still buy whole chickens at Redner's when they go on sale. We don't really go out to eat a whole lot, and I'm not into shopping for clothes and stuff like that. Comcast is expensive but there really aren't too many cheaper alternatives around here. If I could find a Summer job cleaning rental condos at the beach this Summer, I would use the extra cash to pay down my pet credit card. We had to run it up pretty high due to all four dogs having different ailments, surgeries, etc.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #107
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

How I cut back? I shop online for my fur-kids food at Chewy.com. Free delivery over 50.00 and the same price as the store. I buy for the month. It also saves on wear and tear on the car, since the pet food store with all the deals is far away. Always buy in bulk. Sometimes Sal army or Goodwill has good stuff you may need. I go to the Dollar Store for cheap soaps and other cleaning stuff. I SAVE ALMOST 100.00 PAYING CAR INSURANCE EVERY 6 MONTHS INSTEAD OF EVERY MONTH. I insulate every window and door top to bottom when it gets cold. Even the light switches! Food bill is only forty per week because I am single, but two can eat for almost the same amount. I get oatmeal and eggs in bulk for breakfast. Butter is almost never on sale though, as well as the real good breads. I don't buy loaves for over 1.50. Lunch is soup or sandwich. Progresso soup is ok when cans are on sale for 1.00. Buy them in bulk at that price! Grilled cheese sandwiches are a great money saver, also when fruits or veggies are on sale. I never buy when they are not. Also, I took the bus, until my butch bud sold me a great old Toyota cheap. I cut out internet and tv entirely. I do watch old movies on vcr. I buy them at the thrift store for 25 cents. I have free radio, and a Bearcat scanner. I visit this planet from my local library every week. I don't pay rent, because my job is to manage a B&B property. I really lucked out. I do pay for heat and phone. I am currently trying to cut the heat bill by trying to rig up a rocket stove via a pipe out a window There's a lot more I do to save money, but I can't think of them all right now.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #108
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
Ok, so I'm seriously giving some thought to saving money so I can afford to cut back my hours at my fulltime job. Basically, work 4 days a week instead of 5. I'm going to get that chest freezer here soon, since I found a great new butcher shop that is very reasonably priced. That way I can stock up on meat much cheaper than grocery store meat, and better quality. I will still buy whole chickens at Redner's when they go on sale. We don't really go out to eat a whole lot, and I'm not into shopping for clothes and stuff like that. Comcast is expensive but there really aren't too many cheaper alternatives around here. If I could find a Summer job cleaning rental condos at the beach this Summer, I would use the extra cash to pay down my pet credit card. We had to run it up pretty high due to all four dogs having different ailments, surgeries, etc.
Soo soory to hear about your poor furkids GG. There's no getting around the vet rip-off furkid's bills. I thought so much about that, and how unfair it is. I would go in debt also with cards for them. I would buy anything if they really needed care.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #109
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I will readily admit that I am fairly lousy when it comes to saving money on my own. I've tried different things over the years without much success, so I finally bit the bullet and opened a Roth into which I funnel $500 a month. As things stand now, the maximum contribution allowed annually is $5000, so for two months I don't do that and put that money into what I have labeled my fun fund. I have taken to viewing my Roth as a lock box to which I don't have a key.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #110
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascot View Post
I will readily admit that I am fairly lousy when it comes to saving money on my own. I've tried different things over the years without much success, so I finally bit the bullet and opened a Roth into which I funnel $500 a month. As things stand now, the maximum contribution allowed annually is $5000, so for two months I don't do that and put that money into what I have labeled my fun fund. I have taken to viewing my Roth as a lock box to which I don't have a key.
Hey Ascot, sounds like you're doing great. In 2015 it got bumped to $5500 and if you're over 50 (I have no idea how old you are) that goes to $6500. Viewing it as a lock box is smart.

My weak spot was in not taking advantage of opening an HSA/health savings account earlier. I'm starting this year, it maxes out at $3500 per year unless you are over 55 (which I will be this year), then it goes to $4500 so that I can "catch up" Oy!
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #111
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,101 Times in 8,595 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
Oh cool! Let me know how it turns out!!!! I just may have to try it out.
It came out well. I got the ingredients from Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon.com. Here's the recipe ...

==========Directions from kind Jesse======

Liquid Laundry Soap

• ¾ cup Castile Soap (You can use the peppermint, lavender, and citrus varieties even though in this case, the smell does not linger in your clothes)
• ½ cup Super Washing Soda
• ½ cup 20 Mule Team Borax OR substitute with Baking Soda (See below)
• ¼ cup of fine sea salt
• ½ cup of citric acid

Instructions
1. Take your two-gallon bucket and pour hot water in the bottom of it, about an inch high of water.
2. Add the dry powders (baking soda, super washing soda, borax (if using borax)
3. Add a little more water if necessary to cover the powders then take your hand mixer or immersion blender and blend the powders for a few minutes, or until it is fully blended and there are no clumps.
4. Fill your two-gallon bucket up almost all the way with unheated water.
5. Add the castile soap (this helps it not to bubble up), and stir with a long-handled spoon.
6. Using the funnel, pour into your containers.
7. Use 1/3 cup for regular to large loads, and a little extra for extra-large loads.

You can use baking soda in place of Borax because Borax can cause skin irritation & organ problems, and it is hard on clothing. I left it on there, so you can decide for yourself, which you prefer to use. Some people generally double this and make it in a 5-gallon bucket, so that you only have to make it every few months. The salt serves as a water softener, you can leave it out if you do not have hard water. Castile soap is available in a bar as well as liquid either is fine to use. Some prefer the bar because it is cheaper, even though it does require grating prior to making this recipe. This soap will look somewhat watery after sitting for a while. You can keep a ladle in or near the bucket for stirring it before use. It really is not as difficult to make as it may seem when reading these directions, and it does clean as well if not better than store bought top brands and for much less.

For softening, you can add ½ cup of plain white vinegar to the final rinse cycle instead of using dryer sheets, which have been linked to all sorts of fun illnesses.

For stain removal, peroxide and baking soda worked into a paste and rubbed into the fabric works pretty well.

=====Notes======

It was really easy and I'm glad I made it.

I used Baking Soda and kosher salt.

There aren't instructions on when to add the citric acid. I added all the powders at once—including the citric acid (last ingredient). The acid started bubbling. The soap hardened after it stopped bubbling and I just used the emulsion blender to break it up and it worked well. Next time I'll add the citric acid after blending the other powders, I think.

I also used pure liquid Castille soap (Dr. Bonnners). I don't want to spend time grating soap.

I made two gallons and it's plenty for me. I put it in two containers and I gently shake the container before using.

Next time I'll get a scent-free liquid Castille soap so that I can add my own essential oils.

I know how to make bar soap. Next I want to learn how to make liquid soap for the body and hair.

Good luck, Gayandgray. It's cheaper than store bought and it's easy to make.

And thanks, Jesse!

Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #112
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Well I don't have the chest freezer yet but the clothes line is finally being put up tomorrow morning!! That will save a lot on my dryer, especially when I wash the bed sheets and comforters. Our four dogs sleep with us, so I'm always having to wash bed linens and the comforters take forever to dry!! I'm really excited because tomorrow is my first day back to the dog kennel, which I'm going to use the extra paycheck toward paying off pet credit card, and when I get home around noonish there will be our new clothesline
Old 04-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #113
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

stay single

Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #114
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I don't leave the house.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #115
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The single biggest thing for me has been to figure out how to eliminate or reduce every expense I had that could be considered "reoccurring". Whether it be taxes, haircuts, housing, or electricity. They all add up over time.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #116
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Pay bills on time

Pay bills off on car

Don't make huge spending from your wallet or credit make sure you live within your means of living even if your above middle class if you stick with a budget that you can live with do it. Just on special occasions treat yourself or you and spouse or girlfriend ( what ever the case might be in your present situation.)

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #117
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

By using my clothesline instead of the dryer I save $50-60/month on the electric bill. They put in a new Dollar Tree in town where everything is $1, and I now do a lot of my grocery shopping there. I can get 18 eggs for a freaking dollar!! They have really good name brand stuff here and I save so much money compared to if I bought it at the grocery store. I borrowed from Glenn's idea and I'm eating a lot of grilled cheese and soup, which is cheap.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #118
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation

By not spending it lol
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to femmeandstrong For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #119
legally_b10nde

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman - Hello Daddy, hello mom. I'm your ch-ch-ch cherry bomb!
Preferred Pronoun?:
female/she/her
Relationship Status:
Single by choice

legally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputation

I could totally use lotta tips BfP members.... as for me, paying off car loans earlier helped, prepping meals/week and called credit card company and reduced my APR, helped.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #120
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Butches sometimes need a lil retail therapy too. I save money by not removing the tags or removing it from the package. If it's not something I really really need... it goes back!
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post: