Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default The "Other" DADT Policy

Time magazine reported on this but this is something that has been going on for a while and has been in the non-mainstream blogsphere area for a few years now (definitely within the last 2-3 years). Why this hasn't made more headlines is beyond me (although I know it's because higher ups probably think of this stuff as "boys being boys, heh, heh"). Ya, well, boys need to learn to behave far better, IMO, if this is considered acceptable enough for an "honourable discharge" when found guilty.

Quote:
Sourced: Time Magazine

The Pentagon's latest figures show that nearly 3,000 women were sexually assaulted in fiscal year 2008, up 9% from the year before; among women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, the number rose 25%. When you look at the entire universe of female veterans, close to a third say they were victims of rape or assault while they were serving — twice the rate in the civilian population.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is really interesting, Linus, and I personally want to thank you publically for posting this info.

As most everyone here knows, I work in a VA medical facility and have worked in the DoD/VA system for nearly 15 years now. I am also a Veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps. I can personally attest to the fact that, in my years working in the VA health care system, almost every other female Veteran I've had the honor to care for was sexually harassed or assaulted while serving on active duty. The numbers are appalling, really.

I never was assaulted but I certainly was harassed, simply because I was female-born. Who did this?? Guys I worked with...guys I worked FOR...guys who were hanging off barracks balconies with their friends as I walked by. You know, when you encounter deplorable behavior like that, you really have to wonder about the sort of culture that gives men the (perceived) license to carry on that sort of thing.

So, "boys will be boys"?? Ya, I guess that was the excuse, but there's something seriously wrong with that, too. That's like excusing law-breaking by turning your head and saying criminals will be criminals, too. Is it inherent behavior?? I think not. They do it because the culture encourages, then dismisses and excuses it. That's what really needs to be stopped.

Theo....at work
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I had heard this too. Like it's not bad enough to be deployed in a war zone, women can pretty much count on being sexually assaulted.

I think our society in general still blames the victim, and it is worse in the military which is short on personnel.

The ramifications of these wars we did not need to fight will likely never end.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Would love to see a film maker do a "real" film on the level of The Hurt Locker focusing on women in the military. I'm sure that BOMB would be just as explosive.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: