betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Working overnight shifts

Or 3rd shift, or graveyard shift. Whatever it is that you like to call it.

I've been working straight graveyards for a month now, and while I have had no difficulty adjusting my sleep schedule (I sleep just fine during the day, and I don't find myself tired at work or anything like that) it's been difficult for me in other ways.

I find that I am sad all the time now. I can't put my finger on what I'm sad about - but I am just incredibly bummed out.

I also have started putting on weight, although I am not eating any more / worse than what I had before. My body just seems to be confused in some way and has slowed my metabolism down, I guess?

And on top of that - I am lonely at work. I work in the field that I work in (I work for a pretty big non-profit that does home support for people with physical disabilities) because I wanted to have a job where I would be physically and socially active - but overnights I don't see much of the people that are the reason that I -have- that job to begin with. Mostly night shifts are about paperwork and maintaining the office. I'm only on-site in case someone in the apartment building needs something during the night - which they very rarely seem to do.

Does anybody else who works or has worked overnights have any suggestions for me (and for all of the other graveyard shift workers on this site) so that I can cope better?