Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Broadway anyone???

Not sure if too many of you are out there, but wondering if there are any Broadway/musical/live theater fans out there. I love all of the above - see a lot of productions at our local community theaters and sometimes catch shows at the professional theater.

My current favorite is Wicked - I saw it 4 or 5 months ago and I still listen to the soundtrack none-stop. It's going to be in a city in a couple months about 5 hours from me - I'm seriously considering making the trip to see it again.

So, any other fans of the stage?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

WW......I adore it.
I believe I cut my musical teeth on musicals....beginning in college....(translation: a long time ago)

I've seen 'em....I've been in 'em....long live The Musical!!!!

EXCELLENT thread topic! Thank You!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Great idea for a thread. I am mad, mad, MAD for live theater. I love it in all its glory and incarnations. I've been lucky enough to see Broadway shows (on Broadway) as well as numerous local/traveling theater.

Most recent show I saw was courtesy of that Goofy Bastard. Chaz Palmineiri was doing a one-man production of his "A Bronx Tale." Goof put the word out to Austin, but he and I were the only ones who went. He bought me a ticket out of the kindness of his heart since I'd just moved to Austin.

That show rocked. I'd never seen the movie so had no preconceptions.

I've seen some of the "big" musicals on stage and so far think Lion King is the best of those. I saw Phantom of the Opera a day before I saw the Lion King. It paled in contrast to the staging and presentation.

I've also been in several theater productions (no musicals, you can all rest easy) both on the boards and behind the scenes including manning a spotlight. I actually enjoy the backstage stuff as much as I do being on stage. The camaraderie built doing a play is amazing.

The Color Purple was just in Austin (or still is maybe) and I didn't go. I'm really regretting that. My co-workers are still raving about it.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation

Huge theatre fan! Every time I go to see a production, I think, "what a way to make a living..."

I am going to see Hair next month and I am going to see The Addams Family. One of the many, many pleasure on living in NY!

Break a leg!
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BestButchBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Beau
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:

Beau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST ReputationBeau Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb um, yep

"The play's the thing."

Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
cerys

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

cerys is on a distinguished road

I did musical theater in high school and college. I was in Grease, Bye-Bye Birdie, Lil' Abner, and Little Shop of Horrors.

The only musical that I've ever seen on Broadway was Rent. It is still my favorite. I've seen it both on broadway and the broadway cast on tour. An ex of mine was a theater electrician and so got comp seats to every show so I got to see the few that I was interested in (I also love Evita) that were on at the theater she worked at.

A friend once took me to see Godspell as well.

I still want to see Phantom, Wicked, and Spring Awakening. We'll see how that goes...
cerys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cerys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Yay, I'm glad there are folks who dig this thread!!!

Jack - when I was reading your post I was so afraid I was going to get to the end and it would be a bad experience - so glad that Medusa loved it. What about you? Was it just for her or did you like it?

It's maybe a little odd, but I almost never get emotional watching tv or movies. Animals dying will do it but in these areas I'm not a cryer. Musicals - a totally different story. I teared up several times during Wicked. I've seen Phantom several times and among other times at the beginning when the chandelier rises up I get all teary. I would say that at some point in most of the musicals I have seen I got teary at least once.

I've been really fortunate to have seen two shows on Broadway: Phantom and Les Mis - both absolutely incredible. BestButchBoy - I have no interest in living in New York...except it would be amazing to be able to hit Broadway on a regular basis.

Arwen - I haven't seen Lion King, but if it comes around I will definitely see it. Actually, I take that back - I did see it at a local community theater and really enjoyed it.

Let's see, others that I have really enjoyed - and yeah, they're probably all the really well-known ones. Ms. Saigon, Hair, Aspects of Love, Rent. I'd see all of these again. I've seen Cats, and enjoyed it, but don't think I go again. Saw She Loves me - I think I enjoyed it, but obviously it didn't make enough of an impression on me to see it again. One musical that I saw and did not care for at all was Titanic. The music never grabbed me. The storyline focused on three different groups of people - first class, third class, and the crew, but not on individual folks. So when the boat sank (which was actually done really well) I didn't care as much as when I've 'bonded' with particular characters. Not that I didn't care, but it certainly didn't have the same impact. Those are the shows that come to mind right now - no wait, I've seen Cabaret and Rocky Horror at the local theater and really enjoyed both of them.

Diva - would love to see you on stage - what are some of the shows you've done?

Really enjoying this discussion - thanks ya'll!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

In college....I was in Camelot (chorus), Fiddler on the Roof (Fruma Sarah), Once Upon A Mattress (chorus again)....it was good stuff to get under my belt.

Then later, I had the good fortune to be associated with Houston Grand Opera and had bit parts in Candide & A Quiet Place (where I got to work with Leonard Bernstein), and Sweeney Todd (where I got to work with Stephen Sondheim), along with 2 seasons of operas.

In the early 90's, I worked as a resident member of The Granbury Opera House outside of Ft. Worth....the director was the late Joann Miller (who used to sing with the Tommy Dorsey Band) and she was a total bitch....but I probably learned more from her about the theatre than anyone and she actually trained me to take over the roles she had done in the company. It was a rush. With GOH, I got to perform Queen Aggravain in Once Upon A Mattress and Domina in A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum....I was with them for 2 seasons as well.

With Deep Elum Opera (Dallas) and Abilene Opera Assoc. I got to sing Katisha in Mikado, and with Turtle Creek Chorale, I sang the role of Billi Jo Casta (Rodeo Queen) in PDQ Bach's Oedipus Tex. (What a TOTAL hoot!)

I've been very fortunate to have performed some really great roles. It was great fun!

Thanks for asking!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I have tickets to see A Chorus Line in early March. :-)

I would really like to see Wicked.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

A Chorus Line is great!
I have yet to see Wicked.....I'm antsy to see it, for sure!

I've seen Chicago, Phantom, Les Miserables, Sound of Music, Lion King, Rent, Oklahoma, Fiddler On The Roof....my goodness....there are more.....but I can't remember them all! Most on Broadway....which is ~ imho ~ the way to see them.....there's just something electric about Broadway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Yay!!! I love this thread! I love the theater, musicals and drama.

I went to see CATS for the first time in 1992 and was totally hooked! I waltzed down to the city theatre and auditioned. My first time auditioning and got a speaking part as Mrs. Brown in Me and My Girl. My second musical, I worked stage and props on Lend me a Tenor, and my third, I was cast as Doasty Mae in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

I've seen Phantom, Cats (going again for my 3rd time next weekend), Dave, the Caveman, Les Miserables, West Side Story, Cinderella - I could go on and on!

Thanks Kayden for posting this thread!

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
HeartBreak Kid

How Do You Identify?:
self
Preferred Pronoun?:
User formally Known as Tygerlily

HeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
A Chorus Line is great!
I have yet to see Wicked.....I'm antsy to see it, for sure!

I've seen Chicago, Phantom, Les Miserables, Sound of Music, Lion King, Rent, Oklahoma, Fiddler On The Roof....my goodness....there are more.....but I can't remember them all! Most on Broadway....which is ~ imho ~ the way to see them.....there's just something electric about Broadway.

Yes! TY! *kisses Diva's cheeks* Me too,.... I grew up going to on and off Brodway shows.....and while u get some great lesser known plays off broadway, If u get the chance take in a "Broadway" show....Last time I was in New York I was going to see Wicked.....however I was ummm.... distracted.........
Has anyone seen the Lion king?
how about
Aida? ~ Beautiful

Peace and Love

and then to lie silently like deer tracks

in the freshly-fallen snow beside the one you love

That's All~
~Richard Brautigan, "Deer Tracks"~

Peace and Love

"Pssssst.......your STEREOTYPES are showing"....
~StabbyK~

HeartBreak Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeartBreak Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Doll and I went to Phantom of the Opera, and the best that we have seen so far,
would be. Love Janis... Awesome!
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBreak Kid View Post
Yes! TY! *kisses Diva's cheeks* Me too,.... I grew up going to on and off Brodway shows.....and while u get some great lesser known plays off broadway, If u get the chance take in a "Broadway" show....Last time I was in New York I was going to see Wicked.....however I was ummm.... distracted.........
Has anyone seen the Lion king?
how about
Aida? ~ Beautiful

Peace and Love

DUH! How could I forget Aida!?!?!?!?! STUNNING!!!! And I got to see Lion King on Broadway, too....the set is amazing!

I may or may not have cried over the beauty of it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
HeartBreak Kid

How Do You Identify?:
self
Preferred Pronoun?:
User formally Known as Tygerlily

HeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud ofHeartBreak Kid has much to be proud of

I actually wish there were more ppl in my area that enjoyed shows (i actually typed shoes first......hmmm apparently I need some shopping buddies too).....

I have a question.......
What was the first on or off *professional Show (*as oposed to "amature")
What was the most Memorable Show you have ever seen?
what/where is ur favorite theater to "haunt"

Ok so maybe it was 3 questions.......sue me

Peace and love

and then to lie silently like deer tracks

in the freshly-fallen snow beside the one you love

That's All~
~Richard Brautigan, "Deer Tracks"~

Peace and Love

"Pssssst.......your STEREOTYPES are showing"....
~StabbyK~

HeartBreak Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeartBreak Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #16
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Dapper called me a Broadway snob.
I am NOT a gay man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jus' sayin'.....
Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Dapper called me a Broadway snob.
I am NOT a gay man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jus' sayin'.....

hee hee...

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Our niece went to see Wicked yesterday in Philly ... tomorrow we'll find out how it was. I've been thinking of taking Mare to go see it - but I'm debating whether to go in Philly or NYC. (Not looking forward to the commute up to NYC though ...) I've heard from other sources it was a great show.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
Our niece went to see Wicked yesterday in Philly ... tomorrow we'll find out how it was. I've been thinking of taking Mare to go see it - but I'm debating whether to go in Philly or NYC. (Not looking forward to the commute up to NYC though ...) I've heard from other sources it was a great show.

I love the two songs "Popular" and "For Good" in that show......I've not seen it, but have heard the sound track......I want to see it so badly!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I love the two songs "Popular" and "For Good" in that show......I've not seen it, but have heard the sound track......I want to see it so badly!

Hmmm... thanks for the idea - I think I'll hunt down the soundtrack.
I know Mare 'did' want to see it ... but I mentioned it yesterday and She was like ... "eh...". Maybe Stacey will change her mind if she provides a good review. Everyone I've talked to who has seen it has said it was a great show... my curiosity is piqued.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadway, live theater, musicals