Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

View Poll Results: What is Your Employment Status?
I am employed full time. 84 53.85%
I am employed part time. 7 4.49%
I do freelance work. 7 4.49%
I am on unemployment. 6 3.85%
I am not currently employed. 4 2.56%
I am not currently employed but looking for a job. 7 4.49%
I am currently employed and looking for a better job. 7 4.49%
I work more than one job. 6 3.85%
I am on disability. 15 9.62%
Other: See thread for explanation 13 8.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

I went out on permanent disability five years ago next month. It is supposed to be reviewed every ten years. But there is no chance of it being taken away because of my age which I would have been too close to retire now anyway and there has been no improvement in things either.

My heart goes out to each and everyone of you who is looking for work and/or underemployed. I wish you all the very best luck in your job searches!!! My fingers are crossed daily for everyone and everyone in my personal life dealing with these issues.

I believe with all my heart that the economy will get better and the job situation will improve. I also believe the economy will return to a much more level playing field between employer and employee too.

Corporate America (talking about big companies) should be ashamed of themselves for sitting on over 2 trillion dollars they have recovered since the stock market bounced back. 2 trillions dollars; some of this should have been re-invested in their employees instead of hoarding it. Shame on them!!!

Hugs to all of you looking to better yourselves!!! I feel for you all having been there myself in the recession of 2001. It is so scarey to look for work and it does reflect on how we feel about ourselves. Good luck!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,592 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

i am a full-time public librarian and i love it....i worked very hard to get the required degrees to be where i am and i continue to wwork hard to land grants, fellowships, publication, etc. so that my value increases within the field. i have marginal salary (lol), better-than-average benefits, and exceptional pension.

Library work is an inspiring and exciting field and i want to stay where i am forever....my only worry is that our elected officials (who come and go, thank goodness) don't always value us, and what if our budgets gets slashed during the next philistine administration?

what if the general public allows themselves to be convinced we are obsolete now that there is google?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
I went out on permanent disability five years ago next month. It is supposed to be reviewed every ten years. But there is no chance of it being taken away because of my age which I would have been too close to retire now anyway and there has been no improvement in things either.

My heart goes out to each and everyone of you who is looking for work and/or underemployed. I wish you all the very best luck in your job searches!!! My fingers are crossed daily for everyone and everyone in my personal life dealing with these issues.

I believe with all my heart that the economy will get better and the job situation will improve. I also believe the economy will return to a much more level playing field between employer and employee too.

Corporate America (talking about big companies) should be ashamed of themselves for sitting on over 2 trillion dollars they have recovered since the stock market bounced back. 2 trillions dollars; some of this should have been re-invested in their employees instead of hoarding it. Shame on them!!!Hugs to all of you looking to better yourselves!!! I feel for you all having been there myself in the recession of 2001. It is so scarey to look for work and it does reflect on how we feel about ourselves. Good luck!!!!!
Watched "Charlie Rose" last night with the two heads of the financial committe just out with solutions. very interesting- what they had to say about the holding back of this money and how it is essential that these corps get this money flowing! It won't happen unless these tough decisions are made - and it is time politics be put aside in both major parties.

Interesting how both agree that if decisions are not made soon and carried out, the markets will dictate the result.

I'm no economist, but, see reason in what the commission proposes- now, will the games stop? People need to feel some safety in employment.

Some in our community are struggling- evidenced right here. So many talented people with dreams! And others trying to get training and schooling to reach goals. You all are terrific!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hey Y'all....

I just wanted to say "Thanks!" for all the sweet messages/reps/rep comments since I posted. I didn't post what I posted for Y'all to feel sorry for me....in fact, I think being laid off ~ as I told someone earlier ~ was one of the best things that had ever happened to me. I believe I had felt defined by what I did for a living and that blessed paycheck for a very long time.

And that's not who I am at all! I believe not having that extra money has taught me many valuable lessons....primarily, the things that are really important are not THINGS. And also, my priorities in life have changed a great deal!!

Thanks again....I do so love this Planet! Thanks, Medusa, for this thread (and this SITE!).

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

A lot of you already know that I work in my family's business. (4th generation at that). It is a retail shop and has been so rocky...from not getting paid for weeks at a time to just scraping by...I have seen it all here. I went back to school full time and am very fortunate that my dad still pays me for the 8 hours a week I am not actually in the shop.

We have a Trader Joe's opening up the street from my house after the first of the year and I plan on getting a job there...as many hours as possible...to try to get ahead again after having to blow through my savings over the last two years.

Luckily I can study at work when there isn't anything going on....and trust me, there ain't a lot happening in the oriental rug business right now!

I am very blessed to have what I have...but I sure can't wait to get out of this business and go to work for an engineering or architectural firm where I hope to have stable income!

March 2012!

Tags
employment, job