Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxnrope View Post
Thanks, Cane. I feel (and dress) similarly (don't wear a vest much except with tux).
Just found a shop, which is also on EBay, that has some really good prices on great merchandise. Crazy, fun name: Wizard of Aahs. Maybe this was posted somewhere already? Anyway, here's the link: http://www.thewizardofaahs.com/
Great fabric, Italian and other Euro styling. And, I can find a "normal" or high rise pant here. I do not care for the "waist" at my hips ... I'm too tall for that and high waisted, so it just isn't comfortable for me in those low rise pants. They also make me walk funny
This is a fantastic link- thanks, Met! I have so much trouble finding the normal or high waisted pants and this looks great. Yeah, the phunny walk...

LOL... since I found the B-f community, I have been having such a great time with clothes! I love hats (no, not ball caps) and in the last 3 years I have put together quite a collection of hats. Oh, how I wish I wore the same size as my Dad did. He had some awesome hats.

I like to shop at vintage shops sometimes when I find ones really have clean clothes (can't handle smells in some vintage shops. there are a few in SF that are super. I have found some things that with alterations have worked out well.

I am continually learning about styles and which ones work for me- and which do not! There are some really stylish butches around that give me all kinds of ideas. Supah'!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #102
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I don't wear really short hair hair anymore but since I donned a traditional butch cut for longer than some peeps here have been on this earth...

Pomade, hair wax, hair balms.

If some people are less excited about using shelf products and smearing petroleum and chemical agents on their head daily there's excellent DIY recipes online that are made from Beeswax, oils such as sesame or safflower and Shea Butter.

Most run like 1 part Beeswax, 2 parts oil, 2 parts Shea Butter

Melt it all together on a very low heat in a small pan and pour into container. It will solidify in about half an hour to an hour depending on how much you made.

You can add a couple drops of a fragrance oil to the mix if you like as well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #103
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

My Dad had a flat top most of the time he was alive. (My sisters and I did make him grown it out in the late 60's, but it didn't last long). In his bathroom medicine cabinet (for as long as I could remember) was a product called 'Butch Wax'. I promise this is true.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #104
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
This is a fantastic link- thanks, Met! I have so much trouble finding the normal or high waisted pants and this looks great. Yeah, the phunny walk...

LOL... since I found the B-f community, I have been having such a great time with clothes! I love hats (no, not ball caps) and in the last 3 years I have put together quite a collection of hats. Oh, how I wish I wore the same size as my Dad did. He had some awesome hats.

I like to shop at vintage shops sometimes when I find ones really have clean clothes (can't handle smells in some vintage shops. there are a few in SF that are super. I have found some things that with alterations have worked out well.

I am continually learning about styles and which ones work for me- and which do not! There are some really stylish butches around that give me all kinds of ideas. Supah'!!
Dude, that wasn't Met, that was me! And, we should talk via PM ... I probably live near you. I have some places to score some good quality items at reasonable prices. I agree with Metropolis: the material/s is important. Good quality. I'd rather save for a while and buy one really great item then several items of lesser quality for the same price.
I dig hats. Fedoras mostly. My dad loved fedoras, and I am my father's child ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
My Dad had a flat top most of the time he was alive. (My sisters and I did make him grown it out in the late 60's, but it didn't last long). In his bathroom medicine cabinet (for as long as I could remember) was a product called 'Butch Wax'. I promise this is true.
I can attest to the truth and existence of Butch Wax during another age...LOL
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #105
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have used Butch Wax before!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #106
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I have a great head of hair..........thick and when it gets longer the waves come, esp in the back.

I use cheap ass shampoo......usually the dollar a bottle at Walgreens. I rarely use product......only if it's getting really long and I need to put on a tie for something and can't get to the barber. If I use product it's whatever cheap stuff that was at Walgreens (insert other pharmacy et al store as needed). It needs to have a strong hold....after all I am wearing it to hold my hair in place.

All of the people who have cut my hair over the years have ALL said I should not use all that stuff in my hair............I don't need it.....and I agree. They have ALL been shocked...yes shocked....that I use dollar shampoo on a daily basis..........

I am blessed by genetics to have great hair on my head.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #107
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #108
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default See #8

http://www.suddenlysenior.com/geezertest0502.html

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #109
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

You've been talking about finding pants with high weists for tall people, but what about the opposite, does anybody know of a good site with clothes for short guys? Not very concerned with brands but quality is really important to me. I usually get my suits made especially for at the tailors but that is really expensive, and I would like to have another option.
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #110
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
OMG! I remember this stuff, too! Had an Uncle with a flat top who used it and for awhile my brother had one and used it. I remember a haircut called a butch, too. What was that other hair tonic men back in the 50's & 60's... Vitalis? Isn't it still around Hope it doesn't smell the same ....

Shit, I'm having an Old Spice moment ..... Hell, that is still around, too!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #111
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

What about Pinaud Clubman hair tonic? I think that was the powder too.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #112
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane View Post
You've been talking about finding pants with high weists for tall people, but what about the opposite, does anybody know of a good site with clothes for short guys? Not very concerned with brands but quality is really important to me. I usually get my suits made especially for at the tailors but that is really expensive, and I would like to have another option.
I do not know about quality and cost, but this site has been recommended in several places ...http://www.shortsizesinc.com/
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #113
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Quote:

I am 5'2". I am lucky that mens jeans, and slacks have always fit me just right as far as hips and low waist. The length of the legs is another story! In some jean styles the inseam comes in long and xtra long!! LoL
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #114
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
LLBean.com, excellent size choices.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #115
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

In the market for a new tux. I do wear them fairly often, I have found and think investing in a more well-made one is a good idea. I like to go to all the formals during the Holidays and I plan on going to the next ReUnion.

I can't go nuts on price, but think I can find a good deal on some of the better brands and fabric. Anyone have suggestions about this? I might go double-breasted, but have to see when trying them on. I want a more light weight tux. Thinking classic cuts are best as I will wear it with different ties, vests, etc and hope to get good wear out of it.

I do want to buy it where it can be fitted and altered right there. There is always the men's Warehouse, I guess. But, maybe some of you have other suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #116
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

At Last...
I dont know about where you are from but here a lot of bridal shops have great selection of tux's and of course measure and alter there...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #117
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
In the market for a new tux. I do wear them fairly often, I have found and think investing in a more well-made one is a good idea. I like to go to all the formals during the Holidays and I plan on going to the next ReUnion.

I can't go nuts on price, but think I can find a good deal on some of the better brands and fabric. Anyone have suggestions about this? I might go double-breasted, but have to see when trying them on. I want a more light weight tux. Thinking classic cuts are best as I will wear it with different ties, vests, etc and hope to get good wear out of it.

I do want to buy it where it can be fitted and altered right there. There is always the men's Warehouse, I guess. But, maybe some of you have other suggestions?
When I read stuff like this it kinda makes me drool. I just love tuxedos!

I suggest (since you're investing for the long-term) a simple style that is timeless.

-100% wool
-one- or two-button
-notch lapel (but I think you, ALH, would really dig a shawl lapel)

Personally, I'd steer clear of a double-breasted.

Have fun!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #118
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

also check out a men's formal rental place - you might be able to get a good quality used tux.
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #119
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

A few links for Western attire:

http://www.sheplers.com/

http://www.cowtowncowboy.com/content/39.htm

http://www.drysdales.com/

http://www.lebos.com/site/index.cfm
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #120
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I get my suits from Jos A Bank Men Clothiers ... anything else ---> it is men's area in Banana Republic.

BR has some great new style khakis in a variety of colors right now. If anyone is interested, they are Gavin and Dawson style and sit a little lower on the waist (actually they are down on your hips) than that of previous Gavin's and Dawson's. Very reasonably priced too. Side Note: With the horrible heat we had this past summer, I was an ice cream eating fool but the yardwork kept it so the ice cream was not affecting me. Well, I have not done any yardwork in a month and kept up the same intake on the ice cream. Just this week I had to go buy size 32 in the men's Dawson style because the size 31 became uncomfortable to button the top button. I had 3 buckets of ice cream in my buggy at the grocery store this past weekend. I was so proud of myself because I put every one of them back in the freezer just before I went to the check out line. Made me kind of sad. The dogs are disappointed too. We'll make it ... somehow ... I think. Just have to tighten up, suck it up and go on. LOL!
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post: