Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #5441
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Wrangler: Clay

Project: Glad Rags, Paper Bags, and happy tags....

SIGNUPS OPEN! 03/27/16 and will close 04/03/16

The deadline for Clay to receive the project is May 2nd

Please include 5 dollars if mailing in the US and 10 dollars if mailing from outside the US (since the wrangler lives inside the US)

Size of project must be 2.5 x 3.5, minimum of one project per person (One if you want but more is fine too).

Clay want folks to HAVE FUN....step out of the proverbial box and HAVE FUN......use crayons as a "resist" OR Vaseline on card stock as one of the links Clay posted showed...glue & gesso...candle wax....and watercolors are inexpensive......Clay's aim is we have fun doing & exploring a new to us technique, to be stress free...and fun to use....

The medium can be of each crafter's own choosing......fabric, watercolor paper, cardstock paper, ATC cards...........any kind of paper that will allow for wax resist & watercolors...crayons for resist, watercolor, gesso & glue, candle wax......whatever resist you want to use.....or maybe something one of you tries/tried and found to work also....Clay is totally open and leave each with free reign for their choice & creativity....

another idea to use....

https://youtu.be/4F5VO2vrrjc

https://youtu.be/RowwC13rBRs

Clay has googled wax resist sticks and found them available at Blick's, Amazon.com, and Jerry's ArtARama.......
Clay found a 4 oz jar of Murray's Yellow Beeswax jar for about $4 at Walmart...online...just to help anyone get started.....
And there is always good old crayons...

1.clay...................
2.Besame*
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer

"For 2016, the rule is if one of our projects is received by the wrangler more than seven days after the due date, or one of us drops out of a project for whatever reason, that person is welcome to continue posting but is not allowed to sign up for a group project again until January 1st, 2017. No exceptions. This rule applies to participants and to wranglers. This rule must be posted at the bottom of all new projects that are being wrangled so that members can thoughtfully consider whether we wish to commit to a new project. And for the purposes of clarification, if someone drops out before the deadline to sign up has been closed then they are not excluded from future projects because they are still following the rules."

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping

Last edited by nycfem; 03-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #5442
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

For anyone participating from outside the US, if May 2nd seems too early a date for projects to be received, please give a shout out prior to the sign up closing as to what date you suggest is better, and it will be applied to everyone if the consensus is that the date is reasonable.

How do I... ?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #5443
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Please include 5 dollars if mailing in the US and 10 dollars if mailing from outside the US (since the wrangler lives inside the US)

Size of project must be 2.5 x 3.5, minimum of one project per person (One if you want but more is fine too).

Clay want folks to HAVE FUN....step out of the proverbial box and HAVE FUN......use crayons as a "resist" OR Vaseline on card stock as one of the links Clay posted showed...glue & gesso...candle wax....and watercolors are inexpensive......Clay's aim is we have fun doing & exploring a new to us technique, to be stress free...and fun to use....

The medium can be of each crafter's own choosing......fabric, watercolor paper, cardstock paper, ATC cards...........any kind of paper that will allow for wax resist & watercolors...crayons for resist, watercolor, gesso & glue, candle wax......whatever resist you want to use.....or maybe something one of you tries/tried and found to work also....Clay is totally open and leave each with free reign for their choice & creativity....

another idea to use....

Clay has googled wax resist sticks and found them available at Blick's, Amazon.com, and Jerry's ArtARama.......
Clay found a 4 oz jar of Murray's Yellow Beeswax jar for about $4 at Walmart...online...just to help anyone get started.....

2.Besame*
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer
5. CCB

"For 2016, the rule is if one of our projects is received by the wrangler more than seven days after the due date, or one of us drops out of a project for whatever reason, that person is welcome to continue posting but is not allowed to sign up for a group project again until January 1st, 2017. No exceptions. This rule applies to participants and to wranglers. This rule must be posted at the bottom of all new projects that are being wrangled so that members can thoughtfully consider whether we wish to commit to a new project. And for the purposes of clarification, if someone drops out before the deadline to sign up has been closed then they are not excluded from future projects because they are still following the rules."

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #5444
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Size of project if using paper/cardstock must be 2.5 x 3.5, minimum of one project per person (One if you want but more is fine too). If you are using cloth or a bandana, obviously it will be much bigger, which is fine

another idea to use....

2.Besame*
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer
5. CCB

How do I... ?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #5445
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I have a technical question. Why the hot press watercolor paper? Does it really make a difference if I tried to do a wax resist on cold press? Just curious before I go out and buy hot press. I mean if you can wax resist cloth why does cold or hot press make a difference. Please and thank you in advance for answers.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #5446
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
I have a technical question. Why the hot press watercolor paper? Does it really make a difference if I tried to do a wax resist on cold press? Just curious before I go out and buy hot press. I mean if you can wax resist cloth why does cold or hot press make a difference. Please and thank you in advance for answers.
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04/...ercolor-paper/

Great question CCB!!!

One of the links I saw said "hot press"...and didn't mention cold press, which is what I have a couple tablets of. I didn't "think" to look at cold vs hot...til your question...so either will work, dependent on what sort of finish you want...

Long & short of it is this.....hot press allows for a smoother finish, and one can use mixed medium on it, so it "adheres" better.

The cold press allows for a distressed look, meaning the paper has a rougher finish, so watercolors & resist may not adhere as uniformly as hot press, giving that distressed faded out look....(I love this look anyway)...:0

So, feel free to use what you have OR choose....and Have Fun my friend!!! I am excited and getting started with my medium choices...

I am certain whatever you choose, will be a great piece of artwork....
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #5447
Genesis
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme on a varied spectrum/babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/hers
Relationship Status:
Loved ლ ⚢

Thanked 14,633 Times in 6,270 Posts
Genesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Yay!

Size of project if using paper/cardstock must be 2.5 x 3.5, minimum of one project per person (One if you want but more is fine too). If you are using cloth or a bandana, obviously it will be much bigger, which is fine

another idea to use....

2.Besame*
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer
5. CCB
6. Genesis

Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Genesis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #5448
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Welcome Genesis! It is great to see you sign up for the project. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or message me here.....I know you will have fun with us penpallers...and I can't wait to see your artwork.....welcome my friend!!! Thanks for joining in...
Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #5449
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

SIGNUPS OPEN! Sign up closing on 04/03/16.

The deadline for Clay to receive the project is May 2nd.

1. Clay
2. Besame
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer
5. CCB
6. Genesis

The medium can be of each crafter's own choosing......fabric, watercolor paper, cardstock paper, ATC cards...........any kind of paper that will allow for wax resist & watercolors...crayons for resist, watercolor, gesso & glue, candle wax......whatever resist you want to use.....or maybe something one of you tries/tried and found to work also....I am totally open and leave each with free reign for their choice & creativity....

ATC's are very popular with this group, so I am amenable to anyone doing them.......l would like the ATC's to be at least 2.5x3.5....be creative just HAVE FUN...

We will each make one item for each participant. If one chooses to do more than one, awesome. But one is the required number!

All typical rules are in play:

Please add $5 for repackaging and postage. I'll send my address to you once signups are complete. I will use the plastic bubble envelopes to mail back most likely.

Whatever medium one chooses if they use cloth or swatch....make these at least 6"x6" and can be up to 8" by 10" as cloth folds relatively flat for mailing...a bandanna comes in a generic size usually and also folds relatively easy for mailing.

Choose whatever medium you wish, but keep in mind the repacking & postage to mail back out....

The Un theme is a very literal....Resist & colors. It's your interpretation, so be as literal or abstract as you want to be. Any materials are accepted within reason to be able to be mailed within parameters of the postage sent in with project.

How do I... ?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #5450
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

I have questions about the size. At one point you say at least 2.5 tob3.5 and then toward the bottom you say at least 6 by 6 and up to 8 by 10 but mention folding, so is the 8 by 10 just for fabric? Could you please clearly state minimum and maximum size requirements?

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #5451
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
I have questions about the size. At one point you say at least 2.5 tob3.5 and then toward the bottom you say at least 6 by 6 and up to 8 by 10 but mention folding, so is the 8 by 10 just for fabric? Could you please clearly state minimum and maximum size requirements?
yes....

ATC's...MINIMUM size 2.5x3.5....

Paper can be somewhere in these same parameters as cloth, swatches...

Cloth, bandannas, etc...clearly need to be bigger...was just giving some ideas....wanted the cloth, swatches to be minimum 6"x6" and a maximum 8"x10"...just some parameters to use as guidelines......Just needs to be manageable for re-mailing! once I put multiples into the return envelopes....

Hope this helps CCB!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #5452
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
yes....

ATC's...MINIMUM size 2.5x3.5....

Paper can be somewhere in these same parameters as cloth, swatches...

Cloth, bandannas, etc...clearly need to be bigger...was just giving some ideas....wanted the cloth, swatches to be minimum 6"x6" and a maximum 8"x10"...just some parameters to use as guidelines......Just needs to be manageable for re-mailing! once I put multiples into the return envelopes....

Hope this helps CCB!

It helps! Sorry for all the questions!

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #5453
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums
Default FOR OUR CURRENT Wax Resist & Watercolors projects...

As we usually do, each crafter can designate which one of their pieces goes to which other crafter OR can leave it up to me.

Usually we put items in a Ziploc bag & label if it is specific for someone in particular.

No problem with questions.....all are welcomed!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #5454
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,500 Times in 3,158 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
No problem with questions.....all are welcomed!!!
So those who sign up make one item for each participant, for ten total if all sign up spots are filled is that correct?

After we sign up you PM with further instructions - where to mail and so on?

Do participants have to be professional artists?

What is the difference betwen wax resist and batik? I did search online but it's confusing. Are there many types of wax resist of which batik is just one, the crayons are another or...?

As long as the basic general overal theme of the piece is wax resist are we free to incorperate other elements?

Thank you for your time and help.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #5455
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSignFemme View Post
So those who sign up make one item for each participant, for ten total if all sign up spots are filled is that correct?
Correct, we have to make a minimum of one piece per participant. Some folks like to, and do, do more than one..is entirely a personal choice. (I do like those extra goodies myself......)

You can choose to designate which crafter gets which piece OR leave it up to my discretion!

The finished projects must be received by me by 05/02/16!!!!

After we sign up you PM with further instructions - where to mail and so on?
Once sign ups are closed which is next Sunday, 04/03/16, I will send my address via PM's to each one signed up. Crafters inside the US send $5 cash in with their finished work for return pieces and $10 outside US.
Do participants have to be professional artists?
No......just have fun creating & enjoy the process......
What is the difference betwen wax resist and batik? I did search online but it's confusing.
Batik is basically a form of dying a material....

Wax resist is just that...a resist. Anywhere on your chosen medium you mark with a crayon, or candle, or wax resist, will not take the dye when it is dyed OR watercolored, if usiang watercolors.

Are there many types of wax resist of which batik is just one, the crayons are another or...?
Wax resist is done using some type of a waxy substance. One crafter mentioned glue & gesso...I am not at all familiar with that.
One can use a candle. wax resist stick, beeswax, Vaseline can even be done on a paper cardstock then colored with watercolors and the image will not take the watercolor...
Crayons can be used to get the "resist" effect.

As long as the basic general overal theme of the piece is wax resist are we free to incorperate other elements?
Absolutely! Get creative, think outside the box, and enjoy the process. I have given carte blanche pretty much so far as medium used, type of resist used, and such.

The only real parameter is make a size of some significance.....2.5"x3.5" if doing an ATC or bigger if one chooses.

As far as material....I would want the swatch to be a minimum of 6"x6".....reason being is I want us to each get something of a significant size........

Most welcome...and welcome Fire! Hope you will come join us.
The projects always turn out so amazing...we have a very diverse group. Eager to see your work should you join us..come on and play with us in the PenPal project!!!

Hi Fire & welcome. I was going to send you an invite to join us!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #5456
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,500 Times in 3,158 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'd like to give it a try but I'm not sure how to get my name on the list, do people just generally PM the Wrangler or... Please advise, thanks
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #5457
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Most important: Do NOT blow us or our mail up. As long as you're not flammable, you're good.

Quote:
I'd like to give it a try but I'm not sure how to get my name on the list, do people just generally PM the Wrangler or... Please advise, thanks

SIGNUPS OPEN! Sign up closing on 04/03/16.

The deadline for Clay to receive the project is May 2nd.

1. Clay
2. Besame
3. Gemme
4. nycfem / Jennifer
5. CCB
6. Genesis
7. FireSignFemme

The medium can be of each crafter's own choosing......fabric, watercolor paper, cardstock paper, ATC cards...........any kind of paper that will allow for wax resist & watercolors...crayons for resist, watercolor, gesso & glue, candle wax......whatever resist you want to use.....or maybe something one of you tries/tried and found to work also....I am totally open and leave each with free reign for their choice & creativity....

ATC's are very popular with this group, so I am amenable to anyone doing them.......l would like the ATC's to be at least 2.5x3.5....be creative just HAVE FUN...

We will each make one item for each participant. If one chooses to do more than one, awesome. But one is the required number!

All typical rules are in play:

Please add $5 for repackaging and postage. I'll send my address to you once signups are complete. I will use the plastic bubble envelopes to mail back most likely.

Whatever medium one chooses if they use cloth or swatch....make these at least 6"x6" and can be up to 8" by 10" as cloth folds relatively flat for mailing...a bandanna comes in a generic size usually and also folds relatively easy for mailing.

Choose whatever medium you wish, but keep in mind the repacking & postage to mail back out....

The Un theme is a very literal....Resist & colors. It's your interpretation, so be as literal or abstract as you want to be. Any materials are accepted within reason to be able to be mailed within parameters of the postage sent in with project.

You're signed up, FireSign! Just please read ALL the rules as there are consequences for dropping out and/or being tardy, so make sure you're fully informed before you get good and dirty.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #5458
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Responsible newbies are always welcome! You don't need to have any special artistic talent, just a desire to have fun! If you join, please keep up with reading the thread!

How do I... ?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #5459
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

This coming Sunday, 04/03/16 is the close for signups. If you or someone you know is planning to join, be sure to remind them to sign up!!!

I am so excited for this project!

Everyone getting their ideas, projects going yet, have any questions!!!!!

Have an awesome April Fool's Day!!!

ETA: When you all send your packages to me, please make sure I do NOT have to sign for them!!! The PO is not anywhere close to me, and I would like packages to come to my regular box...please & Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #5460
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

I am doing a test run of a possible project tomorrow. If it works and I don't hate it, I will join. If not, I'll wait until the next project. 👍

& crafting,

Cara

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:

Tags
artists, creative types