Old 05-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation
Default Clothes do not Maketh the butch ....

Or do they ?

How important is clothing to you ?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

clothes do not make the femme
or do they

it matters to some
it doesn't matter to some

it is individual

i am to busy worrying about being me to worry about what others think about me

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Butch is a gender no? The shell does not represent gender, that's just me
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

People argue with me here butch is a look not a gender, I also get told I chose to be this way ..
Old 05-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Merlin, clothes don't make anyone any gender, one is who one is and those who can't or wont accept you for you need a checklist for their own BS. K?

We all are who we are and those who matter could give a rats ass, and those who don't, you don't give a second thought to. SSWA (so say we all).

You be the best HUMAN you can and to hockey pucks what anyone else thinks.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Or do they ?

How important is clothing to you ?
I prefer to be wearing some.

Bending minds ~ Shapeshifting theories.

It's up to all of us to bury those rusty ways of thinking.

I mean, unless I am walking around covered in a box, I prefer not to
be placed in one either; so actively challenging the antiquated
theories that have managed to spill over into
this day and age is surely one way
to keep things interesting.

My attire and general appearance is a style all it's own.

Makes me shudder to think that the way a shirt buttons up the front,
left or right...can pull the weight of judgement from society.

Lots of thoughts on this, but it'll have
to wait...as mah schedule is full of today.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Rope

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
polyamorous

Thanked 1,279 Times in 212 Posts
Rope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST Reputation

Clothes don't make you a butch...plenty that defy that based on their own personal style (or lack of style <g>), or their gender bending wearing both male and female clothes, or however it works for them, etc. Not all butches want to wear ties or boxer briefs or whatever you might use as the barometer to measure "butchness".

In the leather community we can spot s/m folks---yeah, in this case stands for stand and model s/m rather than actual leather folk. Leather folks don't all own leather clothing and leather clothing certainly does not make you a leather community person or someone that understands what earning one's leathers means.

Rope--

Rope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rope For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I have never passed up a gift because of the gift wrap. If my S/O treats me well. they can certainly dress as they desire. Now, if they specifically ask me to shop for them/dress them, I will certainly do so. I have dated a few women who prefer that I do the shopping simply because I liked to do it and they would rather not.

As a femme, I have had plenty of times that I was judged because of my appearance. I would not, have not and refuse to do the same.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Daktari

Quote:
People argue with me here butch is a look not a gender, I also get told I chose to be this way ..
I'd be very surprised if anyone in the bf community over on this side of the pond have said that butch is not a gender! People in mainstream lezzer-land would possibly say such a thing though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #10
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

They have to me doc.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Daktari

Quote:
They have to me doc.

Really Merlin? I can't say I've ever heard that from any of the bf community I know here.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Even if the whole world were suddenly forced to wear tinfoil jumpsuits every day for the rest of eternity, butches would still be butches. Same with everyone else continuing to be whatever they might identify as. Butch is an identity, not a pair of jeans or a hair cut.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Legendryder

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation

My take on clothing is I refuse to look like a slob. Unless of course I am out working on the bike or car or mowing the lawn. I dress neatly. Period. I will not wear clothes with holes, no matter how trendy it might be. I prefer men's button shirts, not because they are men's, but because they just fit better. I have long arms and legs, women's clothes do not fit me. I also have no boobs to speak of, so those darts just look silly. Just sayin'.
Legendryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legendryder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
How dismissive. I'm sorry that's happened to you.

In my experience over on this side of the pond, people have said such things--or the equivalent: that a femme cannot wear men's clothing without magically turning herself into a butch--because they have rigid ideas about the meaning of "butch" and "femme." Some people have been open to a discussion and to broadening that definition; some people have used it as a wall of defense to avoid talking about it, a way to categorize and dismiss me.

Mostly these days I don't run into such nonsense anymore. Hope it gets better for you, too.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

People sometimes give way too much of their opinion! So sorry people tell you you should dress this way or that. It happened to me too in my younger days, now I just refuse to engage.

Do clothes make the Butch? no.

Do I love to be out with a well dressed Butch? Hell yes!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Even if the whole world were suddenly forced to wear tinfoil jumpsuits every day for the rest of eternity, butches would still be butches. Same with everyone else continuing to be whatever they might identify as. Butch is an identity, not a pair of jeans or a hair cut.
Yup- an identity, an attitude... whatever one wants it to be for themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendryder View Post
My take on clothing is I refuse to look like a slob. Unless of course I am out working on the bike or car or mowing the lawn. I dress neatly. Period. I will not wear clothes with holes, no matter how trendy it might be. I prefer men's button shirts, not because they are men's, but because they just fit better. I have long arms and legs, women's clothes do not fit me. I also have no boobs to speak of, so those darts just look silly. Just sayin'.
I wear a mix of clothing- some men's. some women's- I agree, what fits and I feel good in, is the key. Also, I am with you about sloppiness- but, sure, when doing yardwork, house panting, etc., I wear my grungies. Don't care for the sloppy look on anyone- butch/trans/femme... hets... anyone! probably a bias of mine, but, grooming is something I do notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Merlin, clothes don't make anyone any gender, one is who one is and those who can't or wont accept you for you need a checklist for their own BS. K?

We all are who we are and those who matter could give a rats ass, and those who don't, you don't give a second thought to. SSWA (so say we all).

You be the best HUMAN you can and to hockey pucks what anyone else thinks.
Yeah!! Wear what you like and feel comfy in!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendryder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I wear a mix of clothing- some men's. some women's- I agree, what fits and I feel good in, is the key. Also, I am with you about sloppiness- but, sure, when doing yardwork, house panting, etc., I wear my grungies. Don't care for the sloppy look on anyone- butch/trans/femme... hets... anyone! probably a bias of mine, but, grooming is something I do notice.
Alright, just wanna jump in because there seems to be a reoccuring "anti-'sloppy'" theme on these forums, lol. Seriously, I understand if you all don't like to dress a certain way, but why does it have to come down to commenting about how other's might choose to dress, even if it is "sloppy" in your books? Is a person in a pair of slacks and a polo automatically "better" than a person in torn up jeans and a sleeveless shirt? Also, there's a difference in grooming/hygiene and the clothing a person chooses to wear. Just because I have multiple holes in my pair of camos, or the bottoms of my jeans are shredded to shit, doesn't mean I'm unhygienic. Sheesh, people

From the mouths of the greats:

Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. - Henry David Thoreau

It is an interesting question how far men would retain their relative rank if they were divested of their clothes. - Henry David Thoreau

Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts. - Henry David Thoreau

He also has a great one from Walden where he goes on rant on how it's idiotic that a man is looked down upon if he walks into town with a hole in the knee of his pants, yet if he had a broken leg no one would care. Why does a hole in the knee of his pants speak of his character? It shouldn't.

If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies... It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it. - Albert Einstein

In fact, that one just might be new sig material lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Yeah!! Wear what you like and feel comfy in!
Exactly To me, dress "neatly" if you want to dress that way. Dress in a suit every day of your life if you want. Dress in sweatpants every day if you want. Walk around in a brown paper bag for all I care, lol.

Cheers,

Ender, King of shabby clothing
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

I can be seen about the neighborhood wearing jammies
under mah long black jackets. No socks, slip on Zombie
shoes...and barely a rake thru mah mane.

I clean up good when I care to,
but the rest of the time it's all about my comfort.

Oh, and winter time I wear huge puffy gorilla
and talon slippers to the store.

So there.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Daktari

It's funny, I met up with a gaydargirl I've chatted with for years the other day and she thought it highly amusing, and was surprised for some reason, that I was wearing a pink tshirt. Apparently only girls wear pink!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
It's funny, I met up with a gaydargirl I've chatted with for years the other day and she thought it highly amusing, and was surprised for some reason, that I was wearing a pink tshirt. Apparently only girls wear pink!
When I was little I insisted on a blue bedroom. Everyone was shocked and stunned.

Colors are just colors...seeems so silly!