The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

So butch only comes in one flavor and if it's not the right flavor it has an ick factor?

That's how the last couple of posts felt to me...

Just because the term doesn't resound with you, doesn't make it less than or geared twards hetros...

This piece resounded with me...

I got what she was saying...

I like butch girls..(Ok, I like butch in just about any flavor, but have a weakness for a big ol butch who is a girl)

I happened to be partnered with one...

Nothing shocking, nothing cutting edge..

Just a big old hard working, hard fucking, gets called sir, taking up space butch who is also a girl...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

she doesn't "get me" fine at all = different strokes ( Did I not say that?)
even at my youngest (around four)
that word was very off-putting and insulting (to me)
and I know for certain I am not alone in those thoughts.

diversity
don't we all get to be who we are?
cant we all say what is true (for ourselves) without someone
taking offence?
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #43
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I might "try" dating her for a minute.
Nope, no I wouldnt lol.
I would get an insensitive vibe from her choice of words.
Even 40 years ago (for me) that word was a trigger for all that I am not.
In this tiny paragraph , she says it 11 times.
(To me) that cancels out the good words she chose like swagger and cock.
The disconnect between sir and girl is fucking enormous. helllooooo?

I would think that she does not know the ==>first thing about butches to begin with.
Great, pal! Please don't waste the time of Femmes who appreciate complexity. That leaves them more available for feminist butches like me, who laugh at the sexist world we live in. I'm hot for Femmes who can negotiate that oppression without asking us butches to be reflect the binary back to them. I'm hot for Femmes who can call me any word that makes them feel sexy and want to get with me. I'm hot for Femmes who often suffered because of not being seen as "girly enough" because they were strong and independent. My "butchness" grew from my girlhood. I'm neither ashamed of it, nor diminished by culturally common references to it.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Dude if you won't want to be called "girl" then fine, but she wasn't talking TO straight people and was partnered to a butch at the time and words like "ick" and "sting" are pretty loaded terms when there are plenty of butches who are fine with the term girl (some are submissives and some are not).

I think people need to read the entire article before leaping to conclusions about what the author does or doesn't know.

http://www.villagevoice.com/1999-10-...masculinity/2/

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #45
WickedFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very Happily Married to Bobbi46

WickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST Reputation

It's my opinion, I own it whether or not you agree or disagree is your opinion and I respect differences. Yes, when she lectures at universities I assume that the majority of the audience are heterosexuals because statistics don't lie. I don't know her personally, but I have met her once briefly. She seems like an okay person. However, I don't think anyone is the authority on any subject regardless of who they think they are. We are all people experiencing our own lives and living our own biases because we are subjective. My partner is one who identifies as female butch and I'm very okay with that. I accept how everyone identifies - who am I to judge. However, I can see how her statements could be interpreted as misogynistic depending upon where you are standing on the spectrum of gender identity. My butch is my boy. I'm sure that Tristan's butch at that time was quite alright with the way she represented her at the time. I'm hoping and quite sure she wasn't speaking of all butches. and yes, I will not retract my statement that heteros probably find her quite intriguing. personally, she bores me and I don't read her stuff or pay for her lectures. She just isn't that interesting to me, but that's my perogative. I'm sure I did not spell that word correctly. hahaha!
WickedFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WickedFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #46
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I am sure a lot of people see me as a butch "girl". I, personally, do not. I have never liked being called a girl or liked it when someone says "you go girl" or "girrrrrl, you should have seen....", but that is just me. I am not a boy (depending on who calls me that..) or a girl, a man or a woman. I am butch, I am A butch....I am what I consider the gray area....or the best of both worlds.

I don't like being referred to as someone's "girlfriend" in a relationship sense, but if that is how they want to term it, fine. To be really honest, I feel like I have to settle for whatever makes everyone else comfortable, and it is getting tiring....anywho.....

I get what Tristan was saying in the article, I really do. I just had to substitute the word "girl" with "butch", and then I was quite happy.

btw, this is all coming from my ME space, and I am by no means trying to say anyone else should feel this way or that the word "girl" is icky or gross...it's just not for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #47
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I would think that she does not know the ==>first thing about butches to begin with.
I dont know whom you have dated, but are you sure you want to tell a Femme "what she knows about butches"?
Let's not be critical. Let's celebrate that someone took the time to say something (anything) about butches. If it doesn't exactly describe you, well....something else probably does.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #48
WickedFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

WickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Dude if you won't want to be called "girl" then fine, but she wasn't talking TO straight people and was partnered to a butch at the time and words like "ick" and "sting" are pretty loaded terms when there are plenty of butches who are fine with the term girl (some are submissives and some are not).

I think people need to read the entire article before leaping to conclusions about what the author does or doesn't know.

http://www.villagevoice.com/1999-10-...masculinity/2/
Like I said, many years ago - 1999... lol...
The Following User Says Thank You to WickedFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #49
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

The piece doesn't feel all that outdated to me. *shrug*

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Great, pal! Please don't waste the time of Femmes who appreciate complexity. That leaves them more available for feminist butches like me, who laugh at the sexist world we live in. I'm hot for Femmes who can negotiate that oppression without asking us butches to be reflect the binary back to them. I'm hot for Femmes who can call me any word that makes them feel sexy and want to get with me. I'm hot for Femmes who often suffered because of not being seen as "girly enough" because they were strong and independent. My "butchness" grew from my girlhood. I'm neither ashamed of it, nor diminished by culturally common references to it.
Please dont call me pal.
What have I written that leads you to believe I am an oppressor of women or non feminist butch?

signed
the un-complex? I think fucking not :]
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #51
WickedFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

I don't know, but someone who id's as femme writing an article about butch masculinity doesn't seem very informative or insightful to me. However, attending a conference called 'butch voices' or something like that where butches speak to their identity and experiences is definitely more insightful coming form the 'first' person perspective. Nothing against Tristan or Red or whomever.. again, just my opinion. The article is dated, it's one person's experience with a butch and it's her perception of that person at the time. I thought it was boring the first time I read it. I'm more interested in hearing butches speak and share their own personal experiences with masculinity and gender fluidity. If I want to know or bond with femmes, I will go to a femme conference. It's my opinion that you have to be living it to be an authority or sell yourself as an authority. I thought the article was hot and belonged in lesbian erotica rather than an article about masculinity in the Voice. I'm just glad that as a community we have evolved since then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #52
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

I didn't see her as trying to sell herself as an authority on masculinity in the article. I don't see the article as revolutionary but it's not boring to me either.

We definitely have a very different opinion on what progress has been made. No comment from me on butch conferences.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #53
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i'm grateful for all of the discussion here...it has all been really thought-provoking.

i love butches. i love reading other femmes' reflections on what they love about butches...as much as i love reading different butches write about what they love about femmes.

i'm personally hyperconscious of how i talk about butch identity, because it isn't my identity, and because, like femme identity, it is complex and multifaceted...and different people embody/experience/express it differently.

i know many people who would hate to be called "girl"...hell, i am not butch and there are only very specific instances where i am okay with being called "girl." outside of those instances it makes me feel insulted and infantilized. i know my partner would find it really triggering and upsetting for people to call him "girl."

at the same time...i respect that others feel differently. hell...that is one of the things i love most about butch identity...that y'all express it in so many different and amazing and hot ways.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #54
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

let me try to put it another way

the term girl for many butches,tgs and transmen ( somewhat like me growing up)
(not that I am speaking for all of them or everyone please note all the disclaimers)
can and does lead to really fucked up and dysphoric feelings.
You dont as a kid feel "right", ever. You want to feel "right" but dont know how.

So you grow up and look masculine, get secure in yourself because your face is
screaming hi I'm a deisel dyke everyday 24/7. Some take it to the next
level of comfort to feel "right" aligned etc and transition. Some dont.

Its really all about comfort and the details. (To me)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #55
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

dude, your description mirrors what i've heard from a lot of masculine id'ed folks in my life...that's why i'm really careful how i use gendered language.

i def agree june that feminine doesn't own beauty! at the same time many masculine id'ed folks in my life have balked when i told them they were beautiful because they are used to "beautiful" being a gendered word (to me it is not). i also change the language when i speak it sometimes because i don't want to trigger or offend people.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #56
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
I'm more offended when I see folks online/real time so easily use bitch when referring to Femmes/Women/Feminity then again I'm all about Girl Power!!!

Spice Girls anyone?
Tell me what you want, what you really really want!

< desd, who loves the spice girls
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #57
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I have known butches who ID as butch but would do a double take if their girlfriend referred to them as "my butch" or frequently referred to them as butch at all. A lot of folks who are butch ID'd do not use the word a ton. I know of two who have complained when others have overused it referring to them. The others may have been trying to impose gender expectations on these people or were overly foregrounding gender.

Just adding that point.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #58
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

soo many opinions .. and all valid to ones own perspective. u can reslove it by

1. wearing a tshirt w. ur own logo and ur own ID
2. get ur own personal ID tattoo'd on ur forehead
3. or don't get mad at ppl who ID diff than u would << now theres a thought ~
4. u can fight the world and stress urself out <<not good causes wrinkles ~
5. just let it be known . that u r .. OH ~~ that nice person we just met ~~

~ocean
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #59
SugarFemme

How Do You Identify?:
*Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

Thanked 4,463 Times in 854 Posts
SugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I remember at age fifteen being offended at being called, "girl" after finding out the definition was, "A young, immature female". I certainly did not feel that described me at all as I was a very mature, responsible and politically astute young woman. Now that I am fifty, it REALLY annoys me when I go to a restaurant with my nineteen year old daughter and the twenty year old server asks, "What can I get you girls to eat??" Really??? Oh and fuggedaboutit if she calls me, "Honey" LOL.

Quote:
she doesn't "get me" fine at all = different strokes ( Did I not say that?)
even at my youngest (around four)
that word was very off-putting and insulting (to me)
and I know for certain I am not alone in those thoughts.

diversity
don't we all get to be who we are?
cant we all say what is true (for ourselves) without someone
taking offence?
SugarFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SugarFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #60
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

On another thread I said;

“To the jackass that spent 15 minutes staring at me yesterday, your thoughts were loud and clear; "Is that a guy or a girl?" I have an answer for you......

Fuck off”

In greater Chicagoland, my gender identity to the general outside world seems to be directly linked to the length of my hair regardless of my choice of clothing. I wasn’t really kidding about that. I just spent a week in South Carolina. There was no deviation; I was addressed as Ma’am 100% of the time. There is it a sign of respect and I accept it as such.

My own fur bristled more at the word “Pal” (Sorry, I know you didn’t mean to offend in using it) than it did at “girl” but then again I don’t like being called dude, bro, or buddy either by people who don’t know me.

At work my team is well aware of who we (my partner and I) are. I am also referred to on occasion as “girl” “hoe” and “bitch” as local colloquialism. I find no offense in it as it is intended to include me in the group rather than belittle or offend. They are all straight and often ask the most interesting (?) questions. It’s ok by me as I know they feel safe enough to ask me “stupid” questions without fear of being dressed down for doing so.

For me, girl is just another word among many. We can choose to claim it as we claim dyke, pussy, c@#t (sorry guys, that word is the ultimo ick factor for me) or bitch. Or reject it as we do others along the way. I'd be interested in knowing why some "claim" a word and reverse its power while other words do not seem to make that list.
Wolfsong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post: