Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For Mr. B....................

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
Porcelain

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss

Porcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST ReputationPorcelain Has the BEST Reputation

William Shatner...
Porcelain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porcelain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
I am sure nothing compares to the complete overuse of the punctuation mark.

I find this to be mostly true on forums like Facebook.

It just annoys the HELL out of me !!!!!! oh wait...
And here I thought we were friends.... damn! I'm totally heart broken.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

<(")...........
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm so............confused! <~~~Sassy....please note only ONE exclamation mark. Thank You.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default My brother from another mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain View Post
William Shatner...

Who invokes the Shat?!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #27
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hi, my name is June and I am apostrophe challenged.
HI JUNE!!!!

I love this one ~.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation spell check alert

Because now I HAVE to -

"tilde"

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #29
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Default Phoenician spelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Are you mocking my Phonetic Spelling's?

Ignoring the improper use of the apostrophe.

- H. L. Mencken
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Right?
I mean.................why use a silly ol' -, when one can use a mini~rollercoaster!

The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #31
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Sometimes, I'll get a phonetic when I've been talking too long......

I blame Joon.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #32
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This grammar, conjunction, punctuation chatter has me all a-twitter.

I swoon for the tilde! (Especially when spelled correctly.) And let us not forget the proper use of a semi-colon; you know, to connect two distinct sentences, or line up a notable series!

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

As long as we are talking about the tilde, I really like the umlaut and the cédille. But then again, I like my vowels and c's.

It's not for everyone.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I wish English would adopt the Spanish upside-down "?" and "!" to put at the beginning of questions and exclamations. Not only does it look cool, but you actually get a heads-up about the tone of the sentence at the beginning where it makes sense.

I used to think I knew the rules of punctuation, but my brain has gone out to pasture. Texting for 7 years and internetting for 15, and it really feels like there are no real rules at all anymore. Plus I read this book called "Eats Shoots and Leaves" which was a hilarious book on punctuation written by a British woman. British punctuation is different from American. Even though she explained the differences as she went along, I've never been right in the head again. That book is laugh-out-loud funny to me. I never thought I'd read a book on punctuation ever in my life, but it had me in fits.

How would you punctuate the following sentences?

I really love the word azure because its really pleasurable to say

if you know your abcs wont you come and sing with me

apostrophes can indicate possession a contraction or in some cases can be used before an s to pluralize an initialism and thats it

Where do you put the period in the following sentences?

She wished she could stop time (she always harbored secret yearnings for certain superpowers)

The word you are thinking of is "idiosyncratic"

And, how do you address letters these days?

I was taught:

"Dear So-and-so,"

but my partner's technical writing textbook says it should always be:

"Dear So-and-so:"

When did we switch to colons for addressing letters????

I just don't know anymore about any of it. It seems all loosey goosey. I think anarchy has triumphed in the world of English punctuation. It's kinda nice.

At work the other day, I got an email.

"I don't handle this type of request..."

and I really felt like the ... was short for "you _____"

I try to avoid this sort of use of ellipses because they make me paranoid when they are thrown my way.

I guess it's not just loosey goosey these days - I think punctuation's getting in a lot more with expressing emotion and personality and tone. Writing has never had to pull so much of the weight of social behavior before (as far as I know). <--I think think that's where the Brits put the period, but I'm not sure where American English puts it.

and here's a question:

Are emoticons a kind of punctuation?

oh - and about spaces:

Do you put one space or two between the end of one sentence and the beginning of another?

I was taught to put two, but the young ones have informed me that the rule is now one space and that the two-space rule was more tied to typewriters than computers. What say ye?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #35
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation
Default OK Nat,

Quote:
I reall love the word azure because it's really pleasurable to say. ~ and that's as far as I go.

I love (most) punctuation........I just can't stand all the RULES!!! Fuck the rules!!! I love ~ and !!! and @, # $, % ,&&&, *** ^ < > ,,,??:{[}]; "='+_)(|\` and especially the two little dots and the little scoopy cuppy thing I can't make. Thanks Nat, I've never felt so appreciative of all the punctuation friends we have!!! I just want to run around kissing all of 'em!

G'night,
Turtle Huh?! What happened!?
And (and I like beginning sentences with and), just like everything else in my life ~ I like to mix and match
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #36
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I reall love the word azure because it's really pleasurable to say. ~ and that's as far as I go.

I love (most) punctuation........I just can't stand all the RULES!!! Fuck the rules!!! I love ~ and !!! and @, # $, % ,&&&, *** ^ < > ,,,??:{[}]; "='+_)(|\` and especially the two little dots and the little scoopy cuppy thing I can't make. Thanks Nat, I've never felt so appreciative of all the punctuation friends we have!!! I just want to run around kissing all of 'em!

G'night,
Turtle Huh?! What happened!?
And (and I like beginning sentences with and), just like everything else in my life ~ I like to mix and match
using color as punctuation = awesome

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #37
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
It's going to be like that is it? I refuse to believe you use dots in speech in real time. What you do is pause, which is not the intended use of ellipses. My goat will not be gotten, lady!

It IS going to be like that, Mister.
THANK You for seeing things my way! That made me happy!

And I HAVE been known ~ on occasion ~ to actually SAY "Dot, dot, dot" (I might even do the little chubby quote fingers, TOO! What do You say to THAT, Peter Puncto?)

Your goat.
Mine..................all MINE!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #38
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I wish English would adopt the Spanish upside-down "?" and "!" to put at the beginning of questions and exclamations. Not only does it look cool, but you actually get a heads-up about the tone of the sentence at the beginning where it makes sense.

I used to think I knew the rules of punctuation, but my brain has gone out to pasture. Texting for 7 years and internetting for 15, and it really feels like there are no real rules at all anymore. Plus I read this book called "Eats Shoots and Leaves" which was a hilarious book on punctuation written by a British woman. British punctuation is different from American. Even though she explained the differences as she went along, I've never been right in the head again. That book is laugh-out-loud funny to me. I never thought I'd read a book on punctuation ever in my life, but it had me in fits.

How would you punctuate the following sentences?

if you know your abcs wont you come and sing with me

apostrophes can indicate possession a contraction or in some cases can be used before an s to pluralize an initialism and thats it

Where do you put the period in the following sentences?

She wished she could stop time (she always harbored secret yearnings for certain superpowers)

The word you are thinking of is "idiosyncratic"

And, how do you address letters these days?

I was taught:

"Dear So-and-so,"

but my partner's technical writing textbook says it should always be:

"Dear So-and-so:"

When did we switch to colons for addressing letters????

I just don't know anymore about any of it. It seems all loosey goosey. I think anarchy has triumphed in the world of English punctuation. It's kinda nice.

At work the other day, I got an email.

"I don't handle this type of request..."

and I really felt like the ... was short for "you _____"

I try to avoid this sort of use of ellipses because they make me paranoid when they are thrown my way.

I guess it's not just loosey goosey these days - I think punctuation's getting in a lot more with expressing emotion and personality and tone. Writing has never had to pull so much of the weight of social behavior before (as far as I know). <--I think think that's where the Brits put the period, but I'm not sure where American English puts it.

and here's a question:

Are emoticons a kind of punctuation?

oh - and about spaces:

Do you put one space or two between the end of one sentence and the beginning of another?

I was taught to put two, but the young ones have informed me that the rule is now one space and that the two-space rule was more tied to typewriters than computers. What say ye?

Good Gay!
Is this a TEST?!?!?!?!? <~~~~ Oh YEAH? Whadaya call THAT!?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #39
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm so............confused! <~~~Sassy....please note only ONE exclamation mark. Thank You.

duly noted !!!!

oh damn.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #40
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

mr bent... i have decided... thru careful introspection... that like everything in my life... i have perverted said ......... to suit my own basic needs... from this point on... as ms jordan... my fav english teacher... is my witness... i will never say ellipsis again... long live the dots!

as for shatting.... itsa lotta work and a pain in the arse...

and
on a real note...

several thangs contribute to the perversion that is my speech here... laziness... convenience... and... i tell myself efficiency adds to it... thats prolly bullshit tho... being from the south and typing it like i say it is another reason...
learning shorthand all those years ago contributed to my fonetik problems...
other than that---------
i was always a fan of ee cummings... and... hated faulkner who wrote the longest sentences in the history of the world it seemed to me and i have a tendency to do what punctuation tells me to do something i wish i didnt do but i again give nods to ms jordan who was a hella woman...

rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post: