Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Unpopular and Maligned Animals

Thought it might be interesting to have a thread regarding the creatures people tend to dislike almost on instinct. My definition of animal here does not include humans or plants or fungi, but would include any other living entity that feeds on living things that feed on other living things.

I saw this today and thought it was neat:

Researchers discover empathy in rats:

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hyenas

However, this is interesting...

http://ethiovision.com/hyenas-not-a-...r-in-ethiopia/

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Cochroaches. I love all things living and can't even kill a spider in my house, but these things just skeeve me. I have never had one in my house, thank goodness. I went to the Zoo in Santa Barbara and they had a hissing cockroach exhibit. I did not look intentionally, but as soon as I saw them I went I to an instant panic attack. My girlfriend at the time had to like walk me out of the exhibit, lmao. So weird. I have never had a personal experience with them that I can remember.
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
Cochroaches. I love all things living and can't even kill a spider in my house, but these things just skeeve me. I have never had one in my house, thank goodness. I went to the Zoo in Santa Barbara and they had a hissing cockroach exhibit. I did not look intentionally, but as soon as I saw them I went I to an instant panic attack. My girlfriend at the time had to like walk me out of the exhibit, lmao. So weird. I have never had a personal experience with them that I can remember.
Don't ever move to Texas

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

You best not come to louisiana,we have generational roaches..they get bigger every generation..the plametto bugs will spook ya big time..yuck hate em!

Last edited by Rockinonahigh; 12-09-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Ok.. I cant read this thread lmao.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I had a pet cockaroach I named Big Bug and trained it to follow me in every room, eat off a plate with two front legs, do somersaults, sit on my shoulder, and sit on the sofa with me and watch TV.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
I had a pet cockaroach I named Big Bug and trained it to follow me in every room, eat off a plate with two front legs, do somersaults, sit on my shoulder, and sit on the sofa with me and watch TV.
Did it have a favorite show?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
ruby_woo

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,941 Times in 376 Posts
ruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread regarding the creatures people tend to dislike almost on instinct. My definition of animal here does not include humans or plants or fungi, but would include any other living entity that feeds on living things that feed on other living things.

Rats FREAK ME OUT. I've run down the street screaming after seeing a rat. I tried reading the rat article but the rat in a tube picture was giving me the heebie jeebies. I think I'd rather find out my house had ghosts than rats.

I like lizards though, I guess lots of people don't. They have have cute little faces.
ruby_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ruby_woo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
Did it have a favorite show?
We were suppose to be on David Letterman, but it mysteriously disappeared!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

It's funny that nat should start this thread cause one of my least fav animals are

Gnats

Those pesky little flying monkeys.

These smaller flies are worse than the bigger versions cause you can't see them coming or anticipate their flight paths.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default We can't forget the ever popular Spider

This guy writes a very funny blog about his spider experiences..

http://jeffvrabel.com/2011/07/19/im-...mediately-why/

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Quote:
O.M.F.G.... *screams*
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation
Default Possum

There's a possum that lives in my back yard... we cross paths occasionally, since we're both active at night. Freaks me out every time- it reared up and hissed at me once, and I was the one who nearly played dead. I know I should feel more fondly toward North America's only marsupial, but they're just so....mismatched.

They get a bad rap on the rabies thing too. Though they *can* carry rabies, it's not very likely- their body temp is too low.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
We were suppose to be on David Letterman, but it mysteriously disappeared!
I'm not one bit surprised. It's one of those little know facts, but cockroaches are frequently glossophobic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation FML

. This thread is SCARY!!!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I have pet rats and I highly recommend them for friends looking for a first small pet for their kids. Rats are FAR less likely to bite than gerbils or hamsters and they are clean and playful. I've had every type of (legal) pet out there and rats are surprisingly high on my love list. I even leave their cage door open because they wander a bit on the top and sides but NEVER leave the immediate cage area. Very smart, sweet pets!
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

I love rats. I love rodents in general. I brought my white mouse to school once in my pocket and then my nickname was rat until we moved and I changed schools.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting fact:

rats are not carriers of rabies. They cannot carry or transmit rabies.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

True, unless they are bit by an animal carrying rabies. Non-meat eating animals like squirrels, rabbits and bats that eat fruit or bugs are also not carriers. Because raccoons and possums scavenge scraps and eat meat, they have a higher incidence of carrying rabies.
ETA: Only because many people believe incorrectly that rats, etc., cannot get or give rabies: http://www.ratbehavior.org/DryBite.htm

They can, but the cases are rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Interesting fact:

rats are not carriers of rabies. They cannot carry or transmit rabies.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post: