Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation
Default Move Your Money Movement

There's a push afloat to get people to move their money from the Big Four to community banks and credit unions. What do you think?

Lots of people think that it's a good idea, but don't want to be bothered with the work required to move an account. Others seem to think that having a branch and ATM on every corner is important. With direct deposit available to so many and pretty much every place one walks in to willing to give cash back on an ATM purchase, I'm curious to know why it is that folks need to have constant and instant access to their bank. It makes sense if you have a business and need to make regular deposits, or your paycheck has to be manually deposited every Friday, but that's not most folks.

Move Your Money

linkyloo to Huffington article

I haven't had a checking or savings account with any of the Big Four since about 1995. Two of them pissed me off so much that I won't even accept their credit card offers. I'm stuck dealing with one (for now) because it gobbled up the regional bank that held my mortgage and one credit card. I have to go to my brick and mortar bank 3-4 times a year, and my online bank has more free ATM sites within 5 miles of my house than any of the Big Four.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread!!! Thanks MsDemeanor!!

I am huge fan of localizing money!! This is a great way to do it!!

I am also researching nurture capitalism, natural capitalism, and Slow Money Principles.

I don't think this is derailing because these things go hand and hand with the concept you posted. Here are some links to be interested in.

http://www.slowmoneyalliance.org/

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/...re-capitalism/

http://www.natcapsolutions.org/

http://www.natcap.org/sitepages/pid5.php
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

I moved my $ from Washington Mutual (now known as Chase) to a local credit union about 6 years ago. WaMU was messing around with my money and charging me fees upon fees. I changed to the credit union and haven't looked back since. I heart my bank now.

Hadn't heard about the Move Your Money Movement, but I think I will read more about it!

~cara
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Credit unions are wonderful. I love my credit union. It isn't that hard to change. I did not know about this movement but I think it is a great idea.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Same here. I've been with Navy Federal Credit Union for many years now and refuse to go back to a bank. My mortgage, unfortunately, is held by Wells Fargo, but other than that, I do all my business through Navy Federal. They've always been really really nice to me and have gone wayyy out of their way to help me out in the past. They've earned my loyalty!!!

~Theo~
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Like some of You, I bank with one of the Big Four (I had no idea they were called this, but it doesn't surprise me.)...........and like some of You, there have certainly been some issues with this bank of mine.....there is always SOMEthing going on with them that just really irritates me.

I don't have a lot of money, but what I DO have needs to be safer than what it is and they need to not be nickle and diming me every 5 seconds.

Currently, I am researching Credit Unions close~by which will suit me better. This year, I will kiss BoA Au Revoir..............

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Like some of You, I bank with one of the Big Four (I had no idea they were called this, but it doesn't surprise me.)...........
I just made it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Currently, I am researching Credit Unions close~by which will suit me better. This year, I will kiss BoA Au Revoir..............
Old 01-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
I just made it up.

I love it when You go all CommandoCreative on us.....that's hawt.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

We use a Credit Union, have direct deposit and can access our CU's atm's at the places we use the most. Very convenient, and we have online access to boot. Yep love our CU! Oh and because I'm over 50, I don't get charged per check fees. Banks make me
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I have been with the same local bank since (well, whatever age it was my father took me as a kid).

I have my checking and regular savings there. The only credit card I have is through this bank. I have used my local credit union for my car loans.

My mortgage is through Wells Fargo.

My non 403(b) investments (Roth Ira, rollover IRA) are in Vanguard. Vanguard is essentially client owned and the fees (which are the lowest around) are pretty close to what it costs to manage the funds.

My community bank doesn't really offer much in the way of investing. If it did, I would go with it.

Recently, my bank was taken over by a larger comapny (not one of the "big" ones, though). 750 of the 3,000 employees were let go. The people that were let go were evidently those who worked in the local branches. The folks who weren't in the day to day banking were kept as supposedly the reason why this bank wanted to take over my bank was b/c they weren't good at x, y, z (but of course they were good at the day to day stuff, so the branch people were let go!). The bank has been around for many years. Many folks have been there for 30 years. It is sad.

(I didn't see this thread until today!)

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I use a local bank and am planning on opening an account with the state employees credit union very soon but will keep the other account as well. My house and everything I've ever bought has been with the local bank.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

I love our credit union. Spoke to them today about refinancing our mortgage through them.

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote