Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am from, the median income is around 22,000. There are few jobs to be had and depression both financially and emotionally runs deeper than the veins of coal in the mountains.

We do have a hella lotta heart here though and as much as things never change, they never stay the same either.

We just returned home a bit ago from a meeting with the boys guidance teachers and his classroom teachers. As some of you know, he has been in a "special" school for the past five or so years, with his teachers there saying he would never be able to be mainstreamed.

When we enrolled him, we were very straightforward about who we are as a couple and as his very involved and active parents. We have been nothing but welcomes graciously by his teachers and all of the staff at the school we have encountered.

The schools in our little county, while working with a shoestring budget ( as most are across the country) have been winners of National awards for teaching excellence. From what I have seen, they deserve it!

Our boy is making A's and B's mainstreamed with very few allowances made for his different ability. He is excelling in his classes and making friends and being outgoing. I simply could not be more proud! ( Well,maybe if he would bathe and clean his room.. LOL )

I agree with Bard and Bit, that sometimes going away and coming "home" makes a huge difference in how we view what is really important. For me, it's my family. Even if home is tucked away under a foothill of an old mountain covered in red clay.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: