Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #181
Blue_Daddy-O

How Do You Identify?:
Retro Daddy, Male-Identified
Preferred Pronoun?:
He Him Sir Mister Husband Dom Master
Relationship Status:
Single and ready for a garden party

Blue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST ReputationBlue_Daddy-O Has the BEST Reputation

My well wishes are with everyone on the gulf. Please stay safe and if you can please get out of potential harms way. I also feel so terrible for the Animals in these situations. They have already begun early euthanizing at many shelters.
Blue_Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #182
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Thanked 2,574 Times in 790 Posts
Oiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Seven Years Ago

This night 7 years ago, I was hunkered down in Mississippi waiting for hurricane Katrina, having no real idea of how bad it was going to be until the water started coming in my home in the early morning hours.

While this is no Katrina, there will be significant impacts to some. I have relatives, friends and property on the Mississippi Gulf Coast so I'm keeping in touch with them through the night, and they will be checking on all the property when it is safe to do so during the light of day tomorrow. Anyone in the path, please be safe, hunker down and hang on. It's going to be a long night.

Glynn
Oiler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #183
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Oiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler41 View Post
This night 7 years ago, I was hunkered down in Mississippi waiting for hurricane Katrina, having no real idea of how bad it was going to be until the water started coming in my home in the early morning hours.

While this is no Katrina, there will be significant impacts to some. I have relatives, friends and property on the Mississippi Gulf Coast so I'm keeping in touch with them through the night, and they will be checking on all the property when it is safe to do so during the light of day tomorrow. Anyone in the path, please be safe, hunker down and hang on. It's going to be a long night.

Glynn
Another night. Got word this morning that my property was okay, but they are catching hell there right now with tornadoes all over the place so that could change. I haven't been able to reach my brother at all, or my property manager since this morning. My cousin managed to get a call out for about 20 seconds before her cell phone signal dropped and I could hear the fear in her voice. Plaquimines Parish in Louisiana is catching hell too; so far, 800 houses under water and they are contemplating blowing the levy to relieve the pressure where the Mississippi River and the Gulf water are meeting from opposite directions and topping the levy. Isaac, GO AWAY!

Glynn
The Following User Says Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #184
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Another night. Got word this morning that my property was okay, but they are catching hell there right now with tornadoes all over the place so that could change. I haven't been able to reach my brother at all, or my property manager since this morning. My cousin managed to get a call out for about 20 seconds before her cell phone signal dropped and I could hear the fear in her voice. Plaquimines Parish in Louisiana is catching hell too; so far, 800 houses under water and they are contemplating blowing the levy to relieve the pressure where the Mississippi River and the Gulf water are meeting from opposite directions and topping the levy. Isaac, GO AWAY!

Glynn

I was thinking about your houses down there earlier today. Hope all is well as can be and your family is safe.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #185
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I have been glued to the news about this. Definitely thinking of everyone, loved ones, my Brother who lives on the gulf coast, and hoping that the hurricane will leave quickly.

They were calling for up to 8 inches of rain here over the last couple of days but we are now down to about 6 so that's good.

Oiler! I hope your loved ones and property stay safe!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #186
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

The wind is REALLY starting to kick up out there now.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #187
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Just got a text from my cousin. A tornado took their shed and they (and their dogs) are hunkering down in the closet. I told them to stay put and I'd let them know when to come out; tornado warning for the next 45 minutes. I hope everyone else who has friends and family in the area has a good outcome. I hate, hate, hate this.

Glynn
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #188
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboi View Post
The wind is REALLY starting to kick up out there now.

Head up here if you need to! We have a guest room!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #189
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybaby View Post
dee...I am soooo sorry...and I am keeping everyone in thoughts & prayers tonight....sending you a hug, too!
Thank you
FINALLY talked to my mom, she is without power at my cousins which is no biggie in comparison and doing ok, Her phone as been on and off all day.

Unable to contact the rest of everyone and that area got hit the hardest. My home town is under again, and where i lost everything 7 years ago.

7 years ago today, unbelievable. The horror just keeps coming back and the inability to talk to people is nervewracking.

Sending as much positive energy as i can.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #190
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

South of New Orleans...

one of my old friends posted on FB that she has 5 feet of water under her house, which is 8 feet off the ground.

the town hall roof is gone and the bayou has spilled over into town, making it one big lake.

The way of life there is shrimping, it's all they know. It's august season and even after all this is done it's gonna be a hard road, again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #191
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Head up here if you need to! We have a guest room!
Thank you for the invite. Scout and I will be fine.
I have to work anyway tomorrow. They told us this afternoon, if anyone calls in they will not get paid.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #192
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
Thank you
FINALLY talked to my mom, she is without power at my cousins which is no biggie in comparison and doing ok, Her phone as been on and off all day.

Unable to contact the rest of everyone and that area got hit the hardest. My home town is under again, and where i lost everything 7 years ago.

7 years ago today, unbelievable. The horror just keeps coming back and the inability to talk to people is nervewracking.

Sending as much positive energy as i can.
Glad you were able to reach your mom; yes, the damn phone disconnect just grates on my nerves. Yes, 7 years ago today my mother lost everything and I lost half of everything. My house held together, but the bottom floor went under 4.5 feet of water. My mother's house across the street was hit hard and it was over a year before she got back in it. I hope to sell everything down there before next hurricane season and to talk my cousin into getting the hell off that coast!

Glynn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #193
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
South of New Orleans...

one of my old friends posted on FB that she has 5 feet of water under her house, which is 8 feet off the ground.

the town hall roof is gone and the bayou has spilled over into town, making it one big lake.

The way of life there is shrimping, it's all they know. It's august season and even after all this is done it's gonna be a hard road, again.
I am just sick about this.

It seems so unfair.

I just talked to one of my coworkers whose Mother lives just outside of New Orleans and she told pretty much the same story. Her Mother had apparently tethered a flat bottom boat to their deck and is prepared to use it if the water continues to rise.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #194
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboi View Post
Thank you for the invite. Scout and I will be fine.
I have to work anyway tomorrow. They told us this afternoon, if anyone calls in they will not get paid.
You don't want to know what my reply to them would be,,,if it isn't safe, it isn't safe. Hang in there buddy. Hunker down!

Glynn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #195
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

My house was damaged for Katrina, it sunk for Rita. Yes a little storm no one remembers sunk my mohagany floor house on the bayou and that was it, i was done.

My biggest loss? .... Rosemary Pino..( RIP ). Being part of the decision to put her in a place that murdered her is not easy to live with. The caretakers gave all 12 patients their meds and fled, leaving them there to drown.

You all would have LOVED her. Please read about her below, she meant so much to me, and she saved the lives of gay folks who had no where to go in the 60's and 70's, she gave them jobs and a home.

In the end she had dementia and was told someone would be back the next day to pick her up at the facility as she was not well enough to evacuate, along with 11 others. Then the levee broke. Lost in her and Margie's house was all of the journals from the bars listed below, the photos, the memories of her adventures and all the people she touched and helped. Maybe she was murdered to spare her the heartache of seeing her house completely underwater. Margie died not long after Pino. It's all just too much.

PINO Rosemary Pino ""Mama'' tragically departed this world to meet her Heavenly Father on Monday, August 29, 2005 during Hurricane Katrina. Throughout her life, Mama was a pioneer for rights of the gay and lesbian community. In addition, she worked diligently for human rights and AIDS. With her beloved business partner and devoted friend of 56 years, Margie Normand, they owned and operated numerous gay bars including, The Grog, De Ja Vu', Pino's, The Blue Odyssey, and Club 621. Prior to the bar business, Pino worked for Hibernia Bank and Camp Leroy Johnston. Mama was heavily involved with the gay carnival organizations. A member of A.G.G.I., honorary mom for the Krewe of Polythemus and the Krewe of Armenius, she also served as a board member for the Krewe of Ishtar (an all women's gay club). Standing only five feet high, Mama's distinctive laugh and bubbly personality made her appear to be six feet tall. She volunteered for The Lighthouse for the Blind and taught blind children to swim. She loved to swim and played softball until she was forty years old. Mama fought for the underdog and often adopted gay kids whose parents had disowned them. She supported her friends and everyone who ever met her adored her and her fun loving spirit. Mama enriched other's lives and will be sadly missed by her surviving sister, Joyce Pino Cantrell; business partner, Margie Normand; close personal friends, Bonnie, Kathy, Sis, Cindy, Dee, Sue, Judy, Rusty, Mark, Keith, Linda, Beverly, and Anisha; and countless other friends. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 448 Metairie, Road, Metairie, LA. Visitation will begin at 10:00 AM at the church. Burial will follow in Metairie Cemetery. LAKE LAWN METAIRIE FUNERAL HOME is in charge of arrangements.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #196
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Quote:
You don't want to know what my reply to them would be,,,if it isn't safe, it isn't safe. Hang in there buddy. Hunker down!

Glynn
LoL Im sure it was the same thing all of us was thinking!!!
But, so goes it when you work at the hospital. I've heard it many times over 22 years.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #197
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Quote:
My house was damaged for Katrina, it sunk for Rita. Yes a little storm no one remembers sunk my mohagany floor house on the bayou and that was it, i was done.

My biggest loss? .... Rosemary Pino..( RIP ). Being part of the decision to put her in a place that murdered her is not easy to live with. The caretakers gave all 12 patients their meds and fled, leaving them there to drown.

You all would have LOVED her. Please read about her below, she meant so much to me, and she saved the lives of gay folks who had no where to go in the 60's and 70's, she gave them jobs and a home.

In the end she had dementia and was told someone would be back the next day to pick her up at the facility as she was not well enough to evacuate, along with 11 others. Then the levee broke. Lost in her and Margie's house was all of the journals from the bars listed below, the photos, the memories of her adventures and all the people she touched and helped. Maybe she was murdered to spare her the heartache of seeing her house completely underwater. Margie died not long after Pino. It's all just too much.

PINO Rosemary Pino ""Mama'' tragically departed this world to meet her Heavenly Father on Monday, August 29, 2005 during Hurricane Katrina. Throughout her life, Mama was a pioneer for rights of the gay and lesbian community. In addition, she worked diligently for human rights and AIDS. With her beloved business partner and devoted friend of 56 years, Margie Normand, they owned and operated numerous gay bars including, The Grog, De Ja Vu', Pino's, The Blue Odyssey, and Club 621. Prior to the bar business, Pino worked for Hibernia Bank and Camp Leroy Johnston. Mama was heavily involved with the gay carnival organizations. A member of A.G.G.I., honorary mom for the Krewe of Polythemus and the Krewe of Armenius, she also served as a board member for the Krewe of Ishtar (an all women's gay club). Standing only five feet high, Mama's distinctive laugh and bubbly personality made her appear to be six feet tall. She volunteered for The Lighthouse for the Blind and taught blind children to swim. She loved to swim and played softball until she was forty years old. Mama fought for the underdog and often adopted gay kids whose parents had disowned them. She supported her friends and everyone who ever met her adored her and her fun loving spirit. Mama enriched other's lives and will be sadly missed by her surviving sister, Joyce Pino Cantrell; business partner, Margie Normand; close personal friends, Bonnie, Kathy, Sis, Cindy, Dee, Sue, Judy, Rusty, Mark, Keith, Linda, Beverly, and Anisha; and countless other friends. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 448 Metairie, Road, Metairie, LA. Visitation will begin at 10:00 AM at the church. Burial will follow in Metairie Cemetery. LAKE LAWN METAIRIE FUNERAL HOME is in charge of arrangements.
I remember hearing that Pino had passed, but I had no idea that this is how it happened. Did you also know Charlene Schneider and Linda?? Charlene was a dear friend of mine and I still keep in touch with Linda who is living in Bay St. Louis now.

Glynn
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #198
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

No i don't know Charlene or Linda. I went on weekends to clean and help Margie and Pino. I used to peel crawfish and crab for Pino . I met them through a friend of theirs and fell in love with them both. So damn sad.Margie was dating a girl Linda for a long time but she passed away too, seems that Katrina took it's toll.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #199
LadyRieinAL

How Do You Identify?:
Evolving Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, girl, her
Relationship Status:
found my vibrational match

Thanked 1,214 Times in 281 Posts
LadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hurrican News

My heart and prayers are with y'all tonight, and I totally understand what it feels to lose contact with your loved ones in times of a violent storm raping all you've ever known and loved.
Love and light surround you and your loved ones -
LadyRieinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LadyRieinAL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #200
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Looks like we dodged a bullet here . Im sorry that Mississippi is getting hammered.