Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Legalization of drugs, pros and cons!

Should drugs be legalized?

Yes, no; if yes what are the consequences, benefits. If no, can we continue waging another losing war?

Who gains, who loses?

Opinions, facts, etc, all are welcome as long as cookies are provided for the OP.

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Legalize marijuana and mushrooms and use the tax money to pay for health care.

Keep Chrystal Meth and other "hard core" drugs illegal.

Would make for way less people in prison for us to pay for and increase revenues and taxes. No one loses.

Cookies all around!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Should drugs be legalized?

Yes, no; if yes what are the consequences, benefits. If no, can we continue waging another losing war?

Who gains, who loses?

Opinions, facts, etc, all are welcome as long as cookies are provided for the OP.

From the title you've had one too many already. Yes, legalize pot, tax it and grow it. I am a non drug user BTW. I think it was put here for a reason, it wasn't manufactured.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Opinion only...

Legalize pot. Never heard of anyone od'ing on pot or committing homicide in a pot induced haze. Never heard of anyone jonesing so bad for pot they commit larceny or murder or rape. Keep narcotics/ opiate derivitives /methamphetamines etc illegal.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
From the title you've had one too many already. Yes, legalize pot, tax it and grow it. I am a non drug user BTW. I think it was put here for a reason, it wasn't manufactured.
Dude, where are my cookies?

I agree, and ditto on not being a drug user.

Why do you think people are against this? DO you have an opinion on that?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Legalize marijuana and mushrooms and use the tax money to pay for health care.

Keep Chrystal Meth and other "hard core" drugs illegal.

Would make for way less people in prison for us to pay for and increase revenues and taxes. No one loses.

Cookies all around!
Did you know that the minimum sentence, according to guidelines, for any drug offense is 5 years?

Let's do the math and see how much money we would save on housing these non-violent offenders and how much we would gain from taxing this stuff.

Thanks for the cookies
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Legalize ALL drugs and prostitution.
Who gains? Everyone but the criminals.
Who loses? The cartels and the CIA.

But it MUST be done at a Federal Level otherwise you end up with the mess we have here in CA. Medical Marijuana growers being prosecuted by the DEA and a Federal Jury not being told about the state law. Long sentences handed out.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Dude, where are my cookies?

I agree, and ditto on not being a drug user.

Why do you think people are against this? DO you have an opinion on that?
Dude you ate the cookies, lookie at your title........^
People are always against that which they don't understand.
Oh my I have an opinion on most things LOL
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Opinion only...

Legalize pot. Never heard of anyone od'ing on pot or committing homicide in a pot induced haze. Never heard of anyone jonesing so bad for pot they commit larceny or murder or rape. Keep narcotics/ opiate derivitives /methamphetamines etc illegal.
I think I may have heard of someone breaking into a bakery to steal the brownies, but maybe I am just making that up.

Why keep the hard stuff illegal? Not that I don't agree, I am just curious.

You also forgot the cookies!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Dude you ate the cookies, lookie at your title........^
People are always against that which they don't understand.
Oh my I have an opinion on most things LOL
OK I am blind, I ate a freaking G. Where is a mod when you need one?
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Superfemme

make prostitution legal and drugs legal and tax the hell out of both

treat adults like adults let them make thier own choices since we all know that people are going to do both no matter what....

by having drugs and prostituition illegal all that does is make more money for the government and the cartels....

oh and it does create a hell of a lot of jobs and fills up prisons which create more jobs......
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmo01 View Post
oh and it does create a hell of a lot of jobs and fills up prisons which create more jobs......
But legalizing it would -also- create a tonne of jobs. They would have to go real heavy on education and harm reduction - and they'd have to hire people to do that.

Like I said in that other thread: making it legal doesn't mean that people who don't currently do drugs are going to start. I don't do any currently illegal drugs - at all. I don't even smoke pot. And my not doing drugs has -nothing- to do with it being illegal - legalizing it isn't going to make me start sticking needles in my veins and stuff up my nose. It's just not.

People are going to do what they are going to do. We may as well create an environment where they are less of a danger to themselves.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Did you know that the minimum sentence, according to guidelines, for any drug offense is 5 years?

Let's do the math and see how much money we would save on housing these non-violent offenders and how much we would gain from taxing this stuff.

Thanks for the cookies
Pot needs to not be an offense at all. It is just dumb. I agree with SF, it need to be legalized at the Federal Level. Mushrooms, Poppies, Peyote, etc.

I do think Chrystal Meth is scary and it makes the entire area it is cooked toxic and can explode easily and kill innocent bystanders. Other than that, I really don't care. Decriminalize away. Yes, prostitution too.

I agree that the government does not need to legislate morality.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Legalize ALL drugs and prostitution.
Who gains? Everyone but the criminals.
Who loses? The cartels and the CIA.

But it MUST be done at a Federal Level otherwise you end up with the mess we have here in CA. Medical Marijuana growers being prosecuted by the DEA and a Federal Jury not being told about the state law. Long sentences handed out.
I agree any legalization must be done on a federal level. I also agree that The Cartels and the DEA, CIA and all the other unknown govt. agencies would lose.

But legalize hard core drugs? I am not sure about that yet. It sounds too me too close to legalizing AK47s, but I am still pondering that.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

I'm "anti-drug". Don't like them, don't do them.
But I think all drugs including pharmaceuticals should be legalized and the taxes put towards treatment for addiction.
The practical problem with this is that there is a massive economy built around drugs which would collapse. If the black market was wiped out and most of the prisons closed by legalizing drugs what would replace this economy? What would happen to all the people who make a living on the black market? Would they sell Avon or what? It's not just "cartels" that make a living in the drug economy but lots of regular people too. There are not enough jobs in the legal economy as it is without displacing the massive underground economy and all the legal jobs that feed off it. Would the average street dealer be re-trained as an addictions counselor in the new "treatment economy"?
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Of course for those people who think pot is a gateway drug and leads to Crystal......

I think they need to read up and look a their logic.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
But legalizing it would -also- create a tonne of jobs. They would have to go real heavy on education and harm reduction - and they'd have to hire people to do that.

Like I said in that other thread: making it legal doesn't mean that people who don't currently do drugs are going to start. I don't do any currently illegal drugs - at all. I don't even smoke pot. And my not doing drugs has -nothing- to do with it being illegal - legalizing it isn't going to make me start sticking needles in my veins and stuff up my nose. It's just not.

People are going to do what they are going to do. We may as well create an environment where they are less of a danger to themselves.
We could legalize and treat addicts for the disease of addiction.
Offer a safe place to buy/use and save tons on future medical care costs by taking away the risks of HepC and HIV.
Open up rehabs to ALL who need it, not just the folk that can afford a 30k stay.

And no, nobody is gonna start shooting heroin just because they can. I agree with Betenoire.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I agree any legalization must be done on a federal level. I also agree that The Cartels and the DEA, CIA and all the other unknown govt. agencies would lose.

But legalize hard core drugs? I am not sure about that yet. It sounds too me too close to legalizing AK47s, but I am still pondering that.
Check this out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8255418.stm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

From my personal experience. I don't do drugs and legalizing it is not going to change that. I think most people would fall under that same category.

Anyone who wants to do drugs now does it, the fact that it is illegal is not a deterrent.

As for the economy and jobs. What happened back during prohibition when booze was finally legalized? New economies sprung up. Selling it legally would be a profitable business. I doubt the economic benefits would be negative. I must look for some articles I have read in the financial and economic areas regarding this very topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Legalizing drugs benefits us all for many reasons!!

Here are some off the top of my head.

1-Societal Benefits- Illegal drug sale creates a criminal culture. People, such as myself (recreational user),has to come in contact with not so nice people. It also affects our youths and creating a space to choose a life of crime selling drugs on the street.

2-The Potency Effect- Remember prohibition...more people chose to drink alcohol over wine or beer because it was more potent. Alcohol related deaths skyrocketed. When it comes to drugs if a dealer is gonna take a risk, then the dealer is more likely to risk transporting/selling a more potent product for the public to purchase. Potency does not equate quality!!

3-Health Benefits- Legalizing would ensure market driven high quality substances to purchase. There would be brand name competition and accountablity.

4-Reduction in Crime- four reasons for this thought
1-reduction in market prices from the influx of users that were normally deterred because of criminal laws.
2-substance related crime will decrease because the courts will now be open for companies to settle disputes in court.
3-Profits for cartels = money for terrorists!!!
4-legalizing sale,transport and possession will now be viewed as legal buisness transactions.

This is all I have for now...
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post: