Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

View Poll Results: How do you feel about backscatter xrays?
They are great! Whatever it takes to keep us safe. 14 14.89%
They are horrific! I would rather risk being blown up. 20 21.28%
Eh, necessary evil 45 47.87%
Other (see below) 15 15.96%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Backscatter

I just read an article about a TSA employee who attacked a colleague for making fun of the size of his junk during a body-scanning machine training session.

That got me to thinking about the whole backscatter x-ray thing. I am not cool with the idea of people I haven't met and do not want to meet seeing basically my naked body in order for me to get on a plane. What's next, body cavity search? It feels extremely violative to me. Moreso if men are the ones at these machines - but I'm not sure if there is a female-only policy on this one(?)

Anyway, I'm curious how y'all feel about this issue.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

For a supervisor to make fun of one of his students...no. I think that the student has a right to make and file a lawsuit against him. Today is a different world due to terrorism and 9/11. I voted for these scanners. I would rather be safe, and catch someone in the act.

When I go thru most airports I practically have to undress. I'm use to it. I have my shoes, belt, all my change, wallet, cell phone, and anything else possible that could set off the security alarm off and in a plastic dog dish. I have been wanded at least 3 or 4 times, and someone usually calls for backup. I give up. I pack, and I wear a jock strap or a harness. I also carry a letter in my pocket from my doctor stating that I am trans just in case. I have been thru the ringer.

I know that doctors make fun of patients. People make fun of those who are obese, disabled, or different. Why should I be shocked that another group is doing this? I am just waiting for adults to act like adults, but I think I will be waiting a very long time for that to happen from my pov.

Good thread Nat.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Okay, the TSA's site states, "It is important to note that this technology is always optional to passengers." So that's somewhat of a comfort.

Andrew, what I'm beginning to think is that this is exactly what adults act like. This behavior comes standard on lots of models.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Yep, you aren't kidding. I throw my arms up in utter frustration.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is just yet another reason that I am becoming more and more reluctant to fly.

I have the issue of being trans and not having had bottom surgery. I also have 2 prosthetic titanium knees which always set the scanner and wand alarms off. I have to get wanded every single time and because I present as male, the person who wands me and pats me down is always a bio male. The 4 times I have flown anywhere, since I had top surgery and had my name and gender markers all changed, I was patted down by (bio)males who did run their hands over my crotch area. It was very uncomfortable for me and I did not choose to reveal my trans status at the time, either. I don't think I should have to reveal that since it's really a non-issue.

These full body scans are intrusive and humiliating enough, without being trans (and not having bottom surgery) and having disability issues going on at the same time. I avoid flying at all costs. I'd love to travel more than I do, but it's very difficult for me. Add to all this the fact that I'm a large/tall guy and have trouble fitting my legs in seats that afford very little leg room, much less a wide enough seat and, well, the entire ordeal turns out to be very unpleasant for me.

~Theo~
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i am probably speaking from a place of privilege... i'm willing to consider that, because i don't have a strong feeling either way.

so some guy gets a thrill seeing my boobies, it's one more cost of the society that we live in--do you have any idea how many cameras are on the public streets, and how many times a day your image is captured..?

so, i shrug.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I refuse to fly anymore. I dont know who is worse....potential terrorists or those trying to save us from them.

And, I believe all this extra "screening" is a waste of time and resources. We are always reacting after the fact rather than nipping the problem in the bud.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
i am probably speaking from a place of privilege... i'm willing to consider that, because i don't have a strong feeling either way.

so some guy gets a thrill seeing my boobies, it's one more cost of the society that we live in--do you have any idea how many cameras are on the public streets, and how many times a day your image is captured..?

so, i shrug.
Where would your limit be? Would you be cool with a body cavity search too?

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

Well, to be honest, coming from the UK, I feel more not less comfortable flying if I know that people are being properly checked before being allowed on a plane, if I'm flying over the pond I don't want to have to be put in a position where I'll have to tackle some arsehole who wants to kill me purely because of where I'm from, I've got no issues with them, just leave me out of your 'religous' disputes, go take it up with your own god tyvfm!
Anyhow, yeah, the guy should never have ridiculed his student, but I am all for these x-ray machines being used!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Where would your limit be? Would you be cool with a body cavity search too?
i wouldn't be cool with a cavity search, the lines are already hours long through security--unless they were throwing in a pap smear, then i could just plan for it and schedule the extra time.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

i just want to be in good shape when they do it. wouldn't want to disappoint anyone who gets a charge on the job.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

I wonder if they would let you just photoshop it a little, you know, to tighten things up a bit.

Fix those nagging flaws.

Draw in a penis.

Stuff like that.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

I haven't flown since Sep 10, 2001, and it will be fine by me if I never have to fly again!!

I personally find it sad that we have to x-ray peoples entire bodies in order to fly anywhere!!

T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

It is just creepy to me, creepy *shivver
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation
Default one snatch

I gave this a bit of thought. Passengers should just go to body suits designed like stripper pants, held together with velcro, and when they're asked step to the side for inspection, they could just rip their clothing off in one snatch.
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

It's already been done.

Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Grrrrr..I dont like flying anyway and for anyone to require me to stand and be scaned for inspection like a side of beef is invasive as all hell,if I wanted them to see my naked body I would be streaking in the airport.I mean after all befor long we may well be serched even worse than now.The last time I flew I walked thrue a metal detector,had a wand passed over me then ask ..or told should I say..that I would heave to be checked by a female guard cause my drivers licence and my apperence didnt match as much as it should..Yeah I was soft packin and shure didnt look as much like me as my dl says I should..but there was no doubt it was the same preson as on my Id.They confiscated my gear, and all things that may have anything to do with it.Thank goodness that one thing was all I had with me,everything else was at home.They also took my cane at the gate ( my knee was messed up at the time) but gave it back when I departed the plane at destanation.Had to get help if I had to go to the bathroom or use the seats for support walking.I know we need to be safe from terroist but they r going to far.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:

Tags
airports, backscatter, privacy, xray