Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The origins of Memorial Day

As I get older, the meaning of and origins of holidays become more important to me. Often, I find the meaning/origins get lost in the celebration of 3 day weekends, backyard bbq's, ceremonies we dont fully appreciate, commercial events, and a history that is both incomplete and skewed.

If you do a search for the history of Memorial Day, the most common responses will yield something like this:

Memorial Day, originally known as Decoration Day, commemorates men and women who died while in service to the United States. It was first enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the Civil War. After WWI, it was extended to honor all Americans who died in all wars.

In 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the “birthplace” of Memorial Day. There, a ceremony on May 5, 1866, honored local veterans who had fought in the Civil War. Businesses closed and residents flew flags at half-staff. Supporters of Waterloo’s claim say earlier observances in other places were either informal, not community-wide or one-time events.

The tradition of decorating the graves of fallen soldiers is attributed to General John A. Logan, the head of a northern Civil War veteran group. Gen. Logan’s order for his posts to decorate graves in 1868 “with the choicest flowers of springtime” urged: “We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. ... Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.”

You might also find that Memorial Day is the official start of the summer season, a treasured 3 day weekend, and the time for both the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600.

If you dig a little deeper and think a little harder, you will remember this holiday came about after the Civil War. It was a ritual of rememberance and reconciliation for a nation that had been torn apart. The social, political, economic and racial issues we attribute to this war, I think, existed long before and continue to this day.

Sometimes if you dig a little deeper, you find things you didnt expect to find. And then, you dig some more, almost trying to put together a puzzle with pieces you didnt even know existed.

The following article is one of those pieces of a puzzle. And it shows how what we have come to accept as the story of Memorial Day, may not be the real story or the whole story.

And, this has me thinking that maybe, Memorial Day should be about more than honoring soldiers who died in war. Maybe it should include some reflection of what they were willing to sacrifice their lives for and/or what they were asked to sacrifice their lives for. In doing this, maybe it would give us a better perspective on who we are as a people rather than who we think we are.

This article, tho informative, is not without its own issues. Conclusions drawn may not indicate the reasons why something was done. It may just indicate our skewed perceptions of why.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The First Memorial Day
Former slaves began American tradition 144 years ago in Charleston
By Brian Hicks
The Post and Courier
Sunday, May 24, 2009

Charleston was in ruins.

The peninsula was nearly deserted, the fine houses empty, the streets littered with the debris of fighting and the ash of fires that had burned out weeks before. The Southern gentility was long gone, their cause lost.

In the weeks after the Civil War ended, it was, some said, "a city of the dead."

On a Monday morning that spring, nearly 10,000 former slaves marched onto the grounds of the old Washington Race Course, where wealthy Charleston planters and socialites had gathered in old times. During the final year of the war, the track had been turned into a prison camp. Hundreds of Union soldiers died there.

For two weeks in April, former slaves had worked to bury the soldiers. Now they would give them a proper funeral.

The procession began at 9 a.m. as 2,800 black school children marched by their graves, softly singing "John Brown's Body."

Soon, their voices would give way to the sermons of preachers, then prayer and — later — picnics. It was May 1, 1865, but they called it Decoration Day.

On that day, former Charleston slaves started a tradition that would come to be known as Memorial Day.

History discovered

For years, the ceremony was largely forgotten.

It had been mentioned in some history books, including Robert Rosen's "Confederate Charleston," but the story gained national attention when David W. Blight, a professor of American history at Yale, took interest. He discovered a mention of the first Decoration Day in the uncataloged writings of a Union soldier at a Harvard University library.

He contacted the Avery Research Center in Charleston, which helped him find the first newspaper account of the event. An article about the "Martyrs of the Race Course" had appeared in the Charleston Daily Courier the day after the ceremony. Blight was intrigued and did more research. He published an account of the day in his book, "Race and Reunion." Soon he gave lectures on the event around the country.

"What's interesting to me is how the memory of this got lost," Blight said. "It is, in effect, the first Memorial Day and it was primarily led by former slaves in Charleston."

While talking about the Decoration Day event on National Public Radio, Blight caught the attention of Judith Hines, a member of the Charleston Horticultural Society. She was amazed to hear a story about her hometown that she did not know.

"I grew up in Charleston and I never learned about the Union prison camp," Hines said. "These former slaves decided the people who died for their emancipation should be honored."

Hines eventually wrote a history of Hampton Park — the site of the former Race Course — as part of the society's "Layers of the Landscape" series, and included the story. Since then, she has advocated public recognition of the event.

It is a story, she said, that needs to be told.

Songs for the martyrs

The cemetery had been built on the grounds of the Race Course by two dozen men, groups that identified themselves as the "Friends of the Martyrs" and the "Patriotic Association of Colored Men."

On the track's infield, they built a 10-foot fence and dug 257 graves. Most of the soldiers who died at the Race Course prison had been malnourished or exposed to the elements too long to survive. They had been buried together in shallow graves, without coffins, behind the judge's stand.

The efforts to bury them were coordinated by freed slaves and missionaries and teachers working with the freedmen's relief associations, primarily a Scot James Redpath. They did all the work in 10 days, and called these dead soldiers "The Martyrs of the Race Course."

The exercise on May 1, the Charleston Daily Courier reported, began with the reading of a Psalm. The crowd sang a hymn, then prayed. Everyone in the procession carried a bouquet of flowers.

The children strew flowers on the graves as they walked past. After "John Brown's Body," they sang "The Star Spangled Banner," "America" and "Rally Round the Flag." By the end, the graves looked like a massive mound of rose petals.

These former slaves were joined by several Union regiments, including the 104th and 35th "colored regiments," as well as the famous 54th Massachusetts. These companies marched around the graves in solemn salute.

After the picnic, the crowd drifted away at dusk. They had spent the entire day at the new cemetery.

Marking the past

A year later, Waterloo, N.Y., celebrated what has been credited as the first Decoration Day. Soldiers were honored, their graves decorated with flowers, much like what had occurred in Charleston. A tradition began. Within 20 years, the name of this holiday would be changed to Memorial Day.

In 1868, Confederate Memorial Day got its start. The two holidays were kept separate, allegedly because Southerners did not want to celebrate a holiday to honor Union soldiers. Blight said the tradition of remembering soldiers and decorating their graves likely began during the war, when women visited battlefields after the fighting had ended.

For the rest of the 19th century, Decoration Day and Confederate Memorial Day existed as separate holidays, perhaps a symbol of the country's lingering divide. The two holidays were combined and designated a federal holiday in the 20th century.

By then, the martyrs of the Race Course were gone. Their graves were moved to Beaufort National Cemetery in the 1880s, and remain there today.

A few years ago, the city of Charleston and the state approved plans for a historical marker in Hampton Park to honor the first Dedication Day. Blight has said the site is perhaps even worthy of National Park status.

Harlan Greene, director of archival and reference services at Avery, said the time is right; Charleston has begun to recognize its African-American history.

"We're approaching a tipping point," Greene said. "The irony of the story is that Charleston is the cradle of the Confederacy, but the memorial was for Union soldiers. It shows the richness of Charleston history."

So far, no plaque has been set, but Hines continues to push for it. Maybe next May 1, she said.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...rial_day83450/

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thanks Kobi for the historical run-down. Yes, the 3-day weekends, BBQ' and all do take us away from why and how holidays are brought to us. Yesterday while I was out doing some work in my front yard, I chatted with a few school kids walking home about Memorial Day. Not one of them knew that it had a thing to do with military service at all! WTF?? These were middle school kids. Not exactly a scientific study, but I was amazed.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I've always known it as "Decoration Day" as well. My brother is burried in a Veteran's Cemetary and they put little flags on all the graves. It is quite the scene with the white tombstones all in a row and hundreds of little U.S. flags. Very humbling and honorable.

My mom just left to go to Kentucky for the weekend as she has done every year from as far back as i can remember. She and my aunts go buy a bunch of flowers and decorate all my kin-folks graves, military or not. I remember my ex who was from Minnesota had never heard it called "Decoration Day" and thought it was weird that "we" decorated all the graves. I suppose it is cultural and depends on where you are from like a lot of things.

But, bottom line...it is a remembrance. An opportunity to take a little time at the tomb/grave of a loved one, no matter why or how they died. And just as it brings in the fresh, new summer months, it offers up new beginnings as we honor our past.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

My family are from Kentucky, and we take flowers to relatives' graves on Memorial Day, whether they were military or not.

Thank you so much, Kobi, for that history. i had no idea. i have been reading some of the articles that have been written because of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. The NY Times has been doing a series, and Time Magazine had a wonderful article a month or so ago about how our understanding of the war, particularly its causes, has been fashioned by ideology and politics over the years.

This information is powerful because it shows how allied freed slaves were with the Union side. Part of the conservative refashioning of the public memory is that Gone With the Wind narrative of the slaves staying with their former Masters, feeling as if they were better off with them than at the mercy of northerners who would exploit them.

i love knowing that this is another tradition added to the common culture by African Americans. And it's something to see how that has been erased.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,485 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation
Default Happy Memorial Day

We recently visited the world war II museum in New Orleans . So this year, I feel real patriotism and a much great appreciation for all the service people that died . It's nice to have a time to honor those.

The museum there is amazing.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
My family are from Kentucky, and we take flowers to relatives' graves on Memorial Day, whether they were military or not.

Thank you so much, Kobi, for that history. i had no idea. i have been reading some of the articles that have been written because of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. The NY Times has been doing a series, and Time Magazine had a wonderful article a month or so ago about how our understanding of the war, particularly its causes, has been fashioned by ideology and politics over the years.

This information is powerful because it shows how allied freed slaves were with the Union side. Part of the conservative refashioning of the public memory is that Gone With the Wind narrative of the slaves staying with their former Masters, feeling as if they were better off with them than at the mercy of northerners who would exploit them.

i love knowing that this is another tradition added to the common culture by African Americans. And it's something to see how that has been erased.

When I first read that article, I said wow, what an interesting piece of history that was forgotten. And it is.

Then I read it again. And I found myself marveling at the assumptions inherent in it and wondering if the conclusions were the result of someone asking these persons why they did what they did or if we just presumed thru our "white" view of life why they did it.

It doesnt diminsh what was done or the tradition it started. But it would be nice to know the history from the perspective of the people who lived it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

When I first read that article, I said wow, what an interesting piece of history that was forgotten. And it is.

Then I read it again. And I found myself marveling at the assumptions inherent in it and wondering if the conclusions were the result of someone asking these persons why they did what they did or if we just presumed thru our "white" view of life why they did it.

It doesnt diminsh what was done or the tradition it started. But it would be nice to know the history from the perspective of the people who lived it.

Certainly would be- you are on to something here- an assumptive white view. Some historians bring this out. Thanks again.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

thanks Kobi for starting this thread.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

<snip>
In 1915, inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields," Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

She then conceived of an idea to wear red poppies on Memorial day in honor of those who died serving the nation during war. She was the first to wear one, and sold poppies to her friends and co-workers with the money going to benefit servicemen in need. Later a Madam Guerin from France was visiting the United States and learned of this new custom started by Ms.Michael and when she returned to France, made artificial red poppies to raise money for war orphaned children and widowed women. This tradition spread to other countries. In 1921, the Franco-American Children's League sold poppies nationally to benefit war orphans of France and Belgium. The League disbanded a year later and Madam Guerin approached the VFW for help. Shortly before Memorial Day in 1922 the VFW became the first veterans' organization to nationally sell poppies. Two years later their "Buddy" Poppy program was selling artificial poppies made by disabled veterans. In 1948 the US Post Office honored Ms Michael for her role in founding the National Poppy movement by issuing a red 3 cent postage stamp with her likeness on it.

<snip>
To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

The Moment of Remembrance is a step in the right direction to returning the meaning back to the day. What is needed is a full return to the original day of observance. Set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country.

But what may be needed to return the solemn, and even sacred, spirit back to Memorial Day is for a return to its traditional day of observance. Many feel that when Congress made the day into a three-day weekend in with the National Holiday Act of 1971, it made it all the easier for people to be distracted from the spirit and meaning of the day. As the VFW stated in its 2002 Memorial Day address: "Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."

On January 19, 1999 Senator Inouye introduced bill S 189 to the Senate which proposes to restore the traditional day of observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th instead of "the last Monday in May". On April 19, 1999 Representative Gibbons introduced the bill to the House (H.R. 1474). The bills were referred the Committee on the Judiciary and the Committee on Government Reform.

Petition powered by ThePetitionSite.com
To date, there has been no further developments on the bill. Please write your Representative and your Senators, urging them to support these bills. You can also contact Mr. Inouye to let him know of your support.

Visit our Help Restore the Traditional Day of Observance page for more information on this issue, and for more ways you can help.

To see what day Memorial Day falls on for the next 10 years, visit the Memorial Day Calendar page.

and

http://www.vfw.org/Community/Buddy-Poppy/

when I was a kid, there were always 'old folks' (probably the same age I am now) outside the grocery store, the courthouse, any place people gathered with poppies for a donation during the 3 day weekend.

take a moment sometime during the weekend remember and our sisters and brothers in arms who gave their lives.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

*bump* just cuz

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Camo Eagle

How Do You Identify?:
FTM in these communities. Male in everyday & public life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Camo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST ReputationCamo Eagle Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for the info & edu.

I didnt realize it pre dated WW1.
I grew up mainly in VA, so I should have known that.

PB, Ive nev heard it called "Decoration Day", but I can see why it would be.

Living in SA Military stuff is on every corner. Its nicknamed "Military City USA" for a reason. The most troops, bases, posts, commands, of any state. Now we are also once again "Home of Military Medicine" as well.

We just had Military Week, a lil while ago. Here Memorial Day, its activities, and events is a big deal. We have many State & National cemeteries. As a Mil person its usually a busy day trying to get to all the things I need to attend.

My fav is to do the flag distribution. This yr it was with a grp of AF Jr. ROTC kids. There were lg amts of school grps as well. Its always interesting to hear the comments and questions from the civilian kids and their families.
There is a big tradition here to cover ea grave. Also done with wreaths at Christmas.
One elementary school had raised the money to put a red carnation at every headstone in a cemetary at Ft. Sam Houston. One little girl cried bc they didnt have enough. So she said next yr they would work harder to raise more money.
I told her that Im sure the Soldiers understood, and that it was OK. I was touched.
Camo Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camo Eagle For This Useful Post: