tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

The Uncoupling
—Meg Wolitzer

When the new drama teacher at Eleanor Roosevelt High School stages a production of Aristophanes' Lysistrata, the town of Stellar Plains is never again the same. The town's women are overtaken by a creeping, cold curse; which leads them to completely disengage from their husbands, lovers and boyfriends. It's funny how a Greek comedy, written in 411 BC about the Peloponnesian War is so timely today: the political climate, the war protests, the unhappy community, the men who fight, and the women who stay behind. This is a smart, topical, unique story which is absolutely done to perfection. Wolitzer's prose is straightforward and clean, leaving her gem of a story to shine, and shine it does.

—Powell's Books
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #782
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Its not a book I'm reading but a new magazine that I bought, its by Prevention called Walk Off Weight :-)

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #783
vixenagogo

How Do You Identify?:
unabashedly femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
i prefer being proadverb.
Relationship Status:
single.

Thanked 1,260 Times in 381 Posts
vixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputation

middlesex.
-jeffery eugenides
vixenagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vixenagogo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #784
MaggieBluIze

How Do You Identify?:
Feisty Kick Butt Bratty Babygirl Femme LOL
Preferred Pronoun?:
Something Sweet Please =)
Relationship Status:
My rainbow bubble holds love, happiness and life with my sweet Husbutch Daddy Bass!

Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,504 Posts
MaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST Reputation

Eat
Pray
Love
Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #785
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

One of the most amazing real life stories ever. "As Nature Made Him, by John Colapinto. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

http://www.book-club-queen.com/as-na...colapinto.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

A baby boy who's botched circumcision left him without a penis and under advice of a doctor, raised him as a girl. He is a real life hero. Tragically he committed suicide at 38, two years after his twin also committed suicide, and after the book was written. This was a huge lesson in gender assignment taking place in the brain not in the genitals.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #786
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
One of the most amazing real life stories ever. "As Nature Made Him, by John Colapinto. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

http://www.book-club-queen.com/as-na...colapinto.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

A baby boy who's botched circumcision left him without a penis and under advice of a doctor, raised him as a girl. He is a real life hero. Tragically he committed suicide at 38, two years after his twin also committed suicide, and after the book was written. This was a huge lesson in gender assignment taking place in the brain not in the genitals.
I will second this
excellent book

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #787
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

Studying:
BKS Iyengar Light on Yoga

Just for Fun:
The Subtle Knife - part 2 of the Golden Compass Series
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #788
Lilygirl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Commited

Lilygirl is on a distinguished road
Default Author: Jacqueline Carey

Currently on book seven, Naamah's Kiss. Very hot.
Lilygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilygirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #789
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

Now You See Her - James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

The Rescue - Nicholas Sparks

Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne - David Starkey
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #790
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

The Art of Racing in the Rain Garth Stein

Emma Brown Clare Boylan

Charlotte and Emily Bronte: The Complete Novels

The Thirteenth Tale Diane Setterfield

stacks of others i will eventually get to.

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #791
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel..... read it more than 15 years ago and decided I want to reread it.

(Trying very hard not to picture Daryl Hannah as Ayla)
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #792
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
It does sound interesting. So is she blaming the behavior of men on feminism?

M

I am still mulling this over but it seems her premise is that societies have certain rituals/rites to bring children into adulthood and the roles associated with them. In this society the rituals included jobs, marriage, having a family...in that order.

Now, as women are becoming more self sufficient financially, foregoing marriage, and having children without husbands or active fathers, the change in rituals for males is leading to a prolonged adolescence or pre-adulthood. The loss of rituals is leading to role confusion and males are struggling to redefine purpose/roles.

Seems more like systems theory applied to humanness i.e. a change in one part of a system, requires a change in another. Just observing the process of change as it is evolving rather than a blaming thing.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #793
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation
Default 2 at the moment...

Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister

and rereading

Madam Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

just finished

the Steig Larsson series (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played with Fire, and Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest) - very captivating read and although the third book had good movement, the characters started to meld together a bit. It seemed almost watered down by trying to overdo the subplots.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #794
MaggieBluIze

How Do You Identify?:
Feisty Kick Butt Bratty Babygirl Femme LOL
Preferred Pronoun?:
Something Sweet Please =)
Relationship Status:
My rainbow bubble holds love, happiness and life with my sweet Husbutch Daddy Bass!

Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,504 Posts
MaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST ReputationMaggieBluIze Has the BEST Reputation

I wish I could say I am reading something deep and meaningful, but I'm not. Work has been slammed busy, so when I do get to read it is purely for pleasure and is usually an easy read.

I am currently reading ...

Pat Califia Mortal Companion
and
Dinah McCall The Perfect Lie

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #795
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

The East, the West, and Sex A History of Erotic Encounters By Bernstein, Richard

It is a fascinating read. He is a great author. More than once I have giggled out loud, said "no frickin way" out loud... and well just enjoyed the read. It is nice not to read something heavy.

I am also reading Beebo Brinker by Ann Bannon. I was prepping for sexy storytelling, but nope no sexy story there. Had to mine other story sources!!

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #796
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I am just about finished with the Game of Thrones. I must say that I was glad that HBO kept primarily to the book! I do love the book so much better - its all in the details!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #797
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. (again) I am more then a bit of a pTerry addict.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #798
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

One of Us: Conjoined Twins and the Future of Normal

by Alice Domurat Dreger

From tapu
The review below summarizes the overarching theme. I would add that this is a mind-boggling treatment of self-identity. The topic of developing and maintaining healthy identity in circumstances of genetic disability is ratcheted up a notch here, with each conjoined twin displaying a separate self, fierce in the expression of individuality. I love, love, love this book.

From Publishers Weekly
Analyzing case studies past and present, Dormurat Dreger, an associate professor of science and technology at Michigan State, questions assumptions about anatomical norms in an exploration of separation surgery on conjoined twins. Providing historical and contemporary evidence that most adult conjoined twins do not desire to be separated, and that many surgeries are carried out on children too young to object, Dormurat Dreger voices distaste for Americans' failure to tolerate anatomical difference and instead fetishize individualism at all cost.

Making ample use of her previous study of hermaphrodites, she likens separation surgery to reconstructive surgery on the sexually ambiguous genitalia of "intersex" children. Both types of surgery, she argues, share the dubious social rather than strictly medical goal of making such children appear more "normal."

****Points if you know where the title comes from****
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #799
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I just ordered Stolen Lives by Jaycee Duggard. I just want to read anything this girl writes, bless her.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #800
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Book Three in George R. R. Donaldson's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Mesmerizing.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading