Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #61
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:
And you said I wasn’t your type!!!

Thanked 1,079 Times in 377 Posts
jelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputation
Talking New River NC/VA

We didn't "Canoe the New", but we sure did "Kayak some New".

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/main.php

“Sometimes we make the right decision; sometimes we make the decision right.”

“Every conflict is a lesson in self-discovery for both of us. Sometimes it's only hindsight that makes it worth it. For you, I would do it all again.“
jelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #62
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelli View Post
We didn't "Canoe the New", but we sure did "Kayak some New".

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/main.php

WoW!...thanks for posting this....and great info in the links. Beautiful, in a word!

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #63
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:

jelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputation
Default From new river trip...

“Every conflict is a lesson in self-discovery for both of us. Sometimes it's only hindsight that makes it worth it. For you, I would do it all again.“
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #64
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:

Banjo loves to go kayaking. he gets so excited when we pull out his pfd. now, he doesn't like cruel and I to get to far apart and will get a little antsy depending on the distance. We then get closer and let him swim from one kayak to the other. This gives us both Banjo time as well as keep him cooled down if it's hot outside. He gets LOTS of attention everywhere we go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #65
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelli View Post
He gets LOTS of attention everywhere we go.

I see plenty of kayakers out with the dog. Two in particular, I see regularly. One, she goes out with both of her humans....has to sit in the cockpit because she is bad and likes to hop off and race them....they tell me that's no so terrible, but she is almost 90 pounds, and getting her back into the kayak~ floating on the river is dangerous....so she has to wait till swim time....and the other dog, TOTALLY spoiled. Has his own seat in a tandum kayak....the front seat of course....Shepard mix. He wears a pfd and eye goggles! I love it.
___

Ok, summer is cruising by. Finally relief from the heat. I've had so many headaches this summer, heat related, it has to be. Last evening it was normal weather, 83, and I had a light jacket on. I was sort of chilly. I didn't believe it myself

I've been working horrendously long hours four days a week, so I can have the extra day off each week end....and I've been having so much fun......Went out with our rowing club last evening to dragon boat and I heard our teen age group
had an *incident*. Two speed boats going in opposite directions (I heard in a no wake zone) but I wasn't able to confirm that, created a wake and the wakes hit the kids simultaneously and it tipped over the dragon boat.

a) Dragon boats are big and heavy and tips and flips almost never happen.

b) Pittsburgh River Rescue was there with in minutes....and the Coast Guard is investigating.

20 teenagers on board, and two adults, plus they go out with a motorized lead boat. No one was injured. I'm proud to report, the teen agers did everything they have been taught to do and even had the dragon boat uprighted. River rescue and the coast guard brought them to the rowing club
despite the kids wanting to attempt to reboard the boat. as precaution, they were all checked out, and all fine.
Stresses the importance of practicing *emergency*

__

Finally Kayak news. I was out for a row already this morning. An all womans row. I like these best. As we were getting into the kayaks and waiting on everyone to get settled, I saw a younger man (in his 20's I'd say) come walking down to the river, carrying a surf board looking thing and had a long handled paddel. He layed it at the edge of the river, got into the water, not quite knee deep, and climbed on TOP of this board, and stood up and rowed...or surfed...not sure what it was. I was preoccupied because he wasn't wearing a PFD and this river will swallow you....that makes me crazy, but wow, the muscles he had
~very pronounced from the rowing he was doing~ it looked like a sophisticated version of Mark Twain out there.
This isn't the beach, so we don't see the latest trends inland, on the rivers....so I came home and looked it up

www.imaginesurf.com

Now of course I want one. Maybe not one as sophisticated as these, (i/e not as expensive either) My partner just reminded me of this...her words, not mine. This is why you
never go on vacations, you're always buying these toys. I like to have fun.....what's so wrong about that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #66
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Default girls day out

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #67
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I've been kinda randomly following this thread and appreciate all the good info.

We live around several lakes and prime canoeing spots. I told Jack a few days ago that it looks like pretty good exercise for the upper body and that I wanted to pick up a Kayak.

She thinks I'm too clumsy

Once you get in one, is it fairly easy to balance?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #68
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Yes....they come in all shapes and sizes......the wider the entry hole (speaking in easy to understand terms) the flatter the bottom and less chance to wobble and flip.

Look at the back muscles on these girls I just posted standing up....it works all of your muscles....even your legs are involved......

I tried to get a group together to go to the reunion after I read what Ark. had available....no one bit. Heck I'd drive for the opportunity.

Exhale.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #69
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post
Yes....they come in all shapes and sizes......the wider the entry hole (speaking in easy to understand terms) the flatter the bottom and less chance to wobble and flip.

Look at the back muscles on these girls I just posted standing up....it works all of your muscles....even your legs are involved......

I tried to get a group together to go to the reunion after I read what Ark. had available....no one bit. Heck I'd drive for the opportunity.

Exhale.
I would love to do it in a group as long as nobody video-taped anything

I see them all the time on craigslist here and even at yard sales sometimes. What is a good price range to invest for a brand newbie?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #70
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

I'd put all of my money into the PFD (personal flotation device) you want one that fits, is comfortable and will work!

The rest, well if it's your first....buy someone elses must sell...craigs list is perfect.....I always see damn good ones with the paddel (a good paddel can be a hundred bucks) for a hundred total......because if you like the sport, you'll get another one that fits your needs more.

Just like every one does who buys a camper....they always buy something better once they understand camping.

Kayaking and fishing is big too.....I don't fish, but I know Jack does.....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #71
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:

You can always rent them too. This way you could see what preferences surface without having invested much.

I totally agree about the PFD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #72
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
I'd put all of my money into the PFD (personal flotation device) you want one that fits, is comfortable and will work!

The rest, well if it's your first....buy someone elses must sell...craigs list is perfect.....I always see damn good ones with the paddel (a good paddel can be a hundred bucks) for a hundred total......because if you like the sport, you'll get another one that fits your needs more.

Just like every one does who buys a camper....they always buy something better once they understand camping.

Kayaking and fishing is big too.....I don't fish, but I know Jack does.....

Exactly! I didn't know if I needed to get something specifically for me at first or what. I've been looking a bikes for much the same purpose as the kayak. I am opening up my life to healthier living and am enjoying being outdoors more and more. The idea of kayaking around some of the lakes and streams we have here is super motivating!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #73
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

kayaking is good for the head space.....zen like. It's much cheaper too. most people have trouble transporting them, and thats the turn off. I have a rack that I pull with my bicycle.....I live two blocks from the launch site on the river...so NO PROBLEM for me......also, having some one to do it with is suggested. I belong to a rowing club and I teach kayaking, so I can always find someone who wants to go out......and with all of the water outlets your state has, I'd say those same options would not be hard to find.

People think bicycles are inexpensive, and I know you have been researching. Everyone tells you get one fitted for you, and that can be costly....kayaking, you are moving and it's so much fun, you don't mind.(you won't be getting out and pushing it up a hill either....lol) My partner is not athletic like i am, and I took her kayaking and the second time, she was hooked, she never says no.....infact asks if we're going out.....i'll also tell you water people are fun people.....(again, zen) Try rental.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
kayaking is good for the head space.....zen like. It's much cheaper too. most people have trouble transporting them, and thats the turn off. I have a rack that I pull with my bicycle.....I live two blocks from the launch site on the river...so NO PROBLEM for me......also, having some one to do it with is suggested. I belong to a rowing club and I teach kayaking, so I can always find someone who wants to go out......and with all of the water outlets your state has, I'd say those same options would not be hard to find.

People think bicycles are inexpensive, and I know you have been researching. Everyone tells you get one fitted for you, and that can be costly....kayaking, you are moving and it's so much fun, you don't mind.(you won't be getting out and pushing it up a hill either....lol) My partner is not athletic like i am, and I took her kayaking and the second time, she was hooked, she never says no.....infact asks if we're going out.....i'll also tell you water people are fun people.....(again, zen) Try rental.
The zen is what is attracting me! We have a giant truck so I know transporting it wouldn't be a problem and there are at least 3 lakes/streams within range of where I work and live that would be super easy access.
The bike search has been put on hold since the bike I want/need is over $1000. I do love the idea of the kayak because I will accomplish the exercise and outdoor-zen that I'm wanting for so much less $$.

How is fishing out of one?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #75
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Blaze has a picture posted not too far down, Stiletto posted it, I think little man fishes too....I don't fish. I talk too much....lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #76
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I've been kinda randomly following this thread and appreciate all the good info.

We live around several lakes and prime canoeing spots. I told Jack a few days ago that it looks like pretty good exercise for the upper body and that I wanted to pick up a Kayak.

She thinks I'm too clumsy

Once you get in one, is it fairly easy to balance?
I've owned various kayaks. It is a good work out for your entire body and the best part fairly easy. You'll feel it in your abs, ass and thighs. Look up videos on you tube for proper hand placement and sinking the paddle. This makes all the difference in the world.

The kayaks I have and prefer are called "Ocean Kayak". I like them because they are open, have holes in the leg area and seat which gets your butt wet but I enjoy it keep cool. I'd rather take my kayak out over my canoe when its hot. They are very sturdy and will last forever. Mine has a compartment for a small cooler behind the seat and a closed compartment for gear. I often use mine for fishing or overnight camping and have plenty of room.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #77
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
The zen is what is attracting me! We have a giant truck so I know transporting it wouldn't be a problem and there are at least 3 lakes/streams within range of where I work and live that would be super easy access.
The bike search has been put on hold since the bike I want/need is over $1000. I do love the idea of the kayak because I will accomplish the exercise and outdoor-zen that I'm wanting for so much less $$.

How is fishing out of one?
this is why I like the open sit on top types. I can strap my poles to the sides and there's lots of open room to put stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #78
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

I have never fallen out of kayak accidently, until yesterday. I have done so intentionally, while teaching kayaking to newbies. Emergency procedures
are part of recreational kayaking.

My partner and I are going to compete in a *pumpkin* race in October. A
5 k fun bicycle ride, and a kayak race. (I may run in the 10 k, not sure, and today for sure, not sure) This was my partners idea not mine.

So yesterday, as per the usual, we head out to the river to kayak at sunrise. It's been extremely hot again, and oppressively high humidity. I was happy no sun shine. The competitive side of me wants to compete and win in this kayak competition. It's rated level 1. So I had my butch
who is much stronger than I, in training. She was towing me in my kayak,
up stream. We went to our designated *break spot* I brought along
frozen grapes and blue berries and espresso. Both were in these thin
stainless steel thermos's and these great ceramic commuter mugs with rubber lids. I had them packed into a perfect kind of bag. Understand,
packing in/on a kayak is important (get your minds out of the gutter)

Our kayaks were still tethered together, and as we approached our
*break spot*, I began breaking out the break-fast treats. Instead of me untying her kayak, the smarter thing to do....as she was dropping the small
anchor, i was up on my kness, sort of, stretching all the way across the bow to untie my rope, while holding the partially broken out break-fast with one hand, and some how I lost balance-slipped and before anyone could say anything FEMME OVERBOARD.

I fell in, to my left side, so in between me and my honey, was my kayak. Now my left leg somehow became somewhat stuck as inertia was taking me overboard and breakfast was now in the river. Zip canvas bag filling with water....and I couldn't get my leg completely free (i didn't realize this
at first) until the damn kayak finally flipped first onto it's side, then completely over........at least I was out of it....and I'm watching my precious stainless steel ensemble float away filling with water and there goes our treat! So I try to swim after it. Maybe I was a tad bit in shock, thinking back to yesterday.

In my I hear a whistle blowing. WTF? It was my lover blowing her emergency whistle. So I stop swimming, and start floating and begin to yell at her *QUIT BLOWING THAT WHISTLE>>>THAT'S FOR EMERGENCY* And she blew it again. I swam over to her kayak yelling the whole time, and I sort of remember her inquiring if I was ok....and I was mixed yelling about the espresso floating away and sinking, stop blowing that whistle, my kayak is taking on water and of all the goofy things for me to say....*The ducks poop in this water*.

Now you know, she just wanted to take the end of her kayak paddle,place it on top of my head and press, just hard enough to put my head under water to shut me up. But as I have said, she knows when to ignore me.

By this point she had a big smile on her face,(she told me later the comment about duck poop did it) and my high strung personality misconstrued that smile to be laughing at me, and I was now yelling/crying/ lump in my throat.....oh this is funny!!! as I was trying to flip her kayak. (hence total melt down)

Finally I got my brain back (after I wrapped my head around breakfast ensemble was gone) and I had to teach her how to help me empty my kayak. She had never done this before. I was trying to be patient. I was only super bitch one more time. I yelled * You're going to get wet
FU#$ing get over it* and again, in retrospect, that didn't apply as she was
very wet. I was irrational.

Finally, we got the water out of, and me back into my kayak. I paddeled back to the bicycles trying to regain my composure, but we kept the rope attached.

Last night, in the middle of the night, I said to my *sweet* honey....please tell the Kat to get off of my hip. Ha? No kat on my hip. Honey goes and gets me two advil. This morning, I can hardly walk. I feel like I tore an ass muscle. Sitting is even worse. We have a baseball game in a couple of hours. I already tried to sit on my bicycle. That was a NO. I tried to ride with out sitting, medium pain. It just started to rain. That maybe the answer. I've been standing all morning, trying to stretch this out, why can't I stand at the game?

Sweet Lover just said we are not going. (please)
Thought I'd share. Have a safe labor day to those of us in the US!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #79
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am trying to get Doll involved, so I wanted to purchase this kayak. But I don't think she wants to go kayaking unless the water is like 18" deep. ~Sigh~ guess I have an excuse to buy an Ocean rough water kayak
Was going to get this for us...

But really wants this...
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #80
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I also am very fond of this one, with it's ready to go fishing set up and Rudder, perfect for getting close inshore and staying there.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post: