Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Manmade DNA in Lab

Quote:
Source: Huffington Post

WASHINGTON — Scientists announced a bold step Thursday in the enduring quest to create artificial life. They've produced a living cell powered by manmade DNA.

While such work can evoke images of Frankenstein-like scientific tinkering, it also is exciting hopes that it could eventually lead to new fuels, better ways to clean polluted water, faster vaccine production and more.
Is it really an artificial life form?

The inventors call it the world's first synthetic cell, although this initial step is more a re-creation of existing life – changing one simple type of bacterium into another – than a built-from-scratch kind.

But Maryland genome-mapping pioneer J. Craig Venter said his team's project paves the way for the ultimate, much harder goal: designing organisms that work differently from the way nature intended for a wide range of uses. Already he's working with ExxonMobil in hopes of turning algae into fuel.

"This is the first self-replicating species we've had on the planet whose parent is a computer," Venter told reporters.

And the report, being published Friday in the journal Science, is triggering excitement in this growing field of synthetic biology.

<snip -- more at the link>

I'm still trying to decide whether this is good or not. Part of me says, yes. Great! Perhaps we could create stem cells (and thus, remove the fight against them). Or perhaps (as the article mentioned above) we could create a new fuel source.

But there's an ethical part of me that wonders about this. From my experience a a security computer geek, one thing I have learned is that for every tool that has a good use someone will use it in ways we never conceived or intended to conceive.

Is this the dawn of a new age on Earth for mankind or just mad science?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Think your right Linus. Could be a good thing or a not so good thing depending on its applications.

Science is always fascinating. Just think of the changes and discoveries that have occured in our lifetime.

Scientists.....I am fond of the mad ones who push the envelope simply for the sake of developing new things. I am not so fond of the ones who take that new knowledge in order to exploit it financially.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I am attempting to practice what I preach and step outside of the binary presented here ... difficult, but will get back to this thread. There is a lot at stake here. I am sure that fundamentalist will have a field day and thus, perhaps artificially, force me to chose one "side" of the argument.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Science and technology are moving ahead so quickly, they seem to exceed our capacity for understanding and controlling them, sometimes. There are ethical considerations in all cases, and I think we're right to wonder whether we can be trusted to use the knowledge in the best interest of humankind. At the same time, the progress is inevitable, and I do think that the potential for good is so great. Not pressing forward because we are afraid of our own weaknesses is a poor reason for progress to slow.

Those are some of my initial thoughts....
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

While my sister, Jo, was at NIH being treated for melanoma, the doctors were treating her with stem cells, chemo, and experimental drugs. They have a building that houses cloned animals and human-like bodies (I am not sure of what the term is actually). They are the cutting edge of medicine in using stem cells to treat everything from disfigured people, to those who are terminally ill with cancers. It is online at the NIH website if you wish to look it up.

Until doctors find a way to break the DNA codes of the various diseases and such, people are going to die. Until then, we can only hope that those who try the clinical trials, and financially support the researchers, we just can hope and pray for a miracle.

In the back of my mind, in all honesty, from what I saw at NIH, I do believe that there is a cure of so many diseases. It is just that the drug companies want to keep a lid on it. That way they have the money, power, and control.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Wow this is amazingly huge news I think. Thank you so much for posting it.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

This is the time for Biotechnology and it is a hugely growing field to get into. I am interested enough in it's applications in all science that I have been taking courses leading to a Bachelor's degree in this field so that I may go back to work one day and get off my disability. There is so much that these scientists are doing these days. I know for some it is a struggle to agree with some of the things these researches have done, and for others they see it as a blessing. If mankind were not given the tools of their brains to work with, where would we be now? Iceage still? If not for research scientists on the good side of all this stuff that's been done through out history, we would not have beaten polio and other diseases in this country.
I thank all of those pioneers for leading the way in science and research for the greater good of all.

Edited to add: There are always those out there in the world looking to create evil out of good.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

This is amazeing to me,cause hopefuly they can use it to help the people on transplant list to get the help they need,find new ways to cure many diseases,do work to keep ppl from dieing from strokes and heart probs..the list is endless.I just hope that its used for the good of the world and not for harm.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

It is interesting you mention transplant because at NIH, all of my siblings and I had our mouths and noses swibed. Jo was in desperate need of a kidney, & pancreas, and we were thinking if we had a match, if we could transplant organs, and also do something along the lines of dialysis with our blood. None of it worked. Nothing. I hope that down the road what we did, did help other people.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Sybelle

How Do You Identify?:
see Scota_Parisi
Preferred Pronoun?:
see Scota_Parisi
Relationship Status:
see Scota_Parisi

Sybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond reputeSybelle has a reputation beyond repute

As excited as new technology can be, especially when it comes to saving lives - I worry about the flip side. In the wrong hands, this could be our worst nightmare.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Linus
thank you for sharing this news, it is especially hopeful
to those whose familes are in desperate need to matched donors and cannot find one.
It's hard to watch a loved one wither away while waiting for stems cells.
Imagaine being told out of 9 million people there is no match, now with this new technology maybe more people will have a better chance at beating cancer.
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe View Post
This is the time for Biotechnology and it is a hugely growing field to get into. I am interested enough in it's applications in all science that I have been taking courses leading to a Bachelor's degree in this field so that I may go back to work one day and get off my disability. There is so much that these scientists are doing these days. I know for some it is a struggle to agree with some of the things these researches have done, and for others they see it as a blessing. If mankind were not given the tools of their brains to work with, where would we be now? Iceage still? If not for research scientists on the good side of all this stuff that's been done through out history, we would not have beaten polio and other diseases in this country.
I thank all of those pioneers for leading the way in science and research for the greater good of all.

Edited to add: There are always those out there in the world looking to create evil out of good.

Yes, unfortunately. This is the main reason with the advent of such breakthroughs, ethics has to be part of the program.

It is quite amazing to see these developments!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: