Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Social security disability

Wondering if anyone has gone thru a SSDI hearing. Wondering what it is like, what to expect, how to prepare etc. Anyone? Bueller?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Yep been there done that.
You and your lawyer will be before a SSDI Judge, he will have looked over your application and any Doctor reports, film reports, diagnostic evaluations and make a decision. Your lawyer will do his or her thing to hopefully have the judge decide in your favor. If you have a good case, and can not truly do any work in any area you are qualified to work in, you may have a good enough case to get SSDI. You may have to answer questions from the judge, your lawyer will advise you.
The judge will take up to a month to decide your case, you can appeal it, but that is beyond my knowledge of how to proceed.
Hope that helps.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I, thankfully, got my application approved w/o needing to go to court. Good luck Kobi!
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Best to you, Kobi! I only know some things from the side of writing reports as a psychotherapist for clients to have their legal reps use. One piece of advise I have is to talk to your attorney/rep about making certain that if these kinds of evaluations are needed, it is a good idea to have them prepared by a therapist that has experince in this area- knows the SSA trail of red-tape. A good disability therapist can cut through a lot of gartbage that just isn't needed and get to what is important to help you gain the SSD benefits you are entitled too. Sticking to the points the SSA are looking at and not going anywhere else in reports is the key. A good relationship between your docs, the lawyer and a therapist (if one is involved/required for your case) makes things go more smoothly.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default SSD/SSDI

I got SSD back in 91. I was so sick that it was granted automatically, it seems. I didn't go to court, didn't even get a lawyer. My doc did it all. SSDI is another thing all together. It seems to come and go without warning. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. Dependent upon the position of sunspots? Ich habe nein idea.
Good luck, Kobi!
Lady_Wu
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
She put a ring on it and the date is set :)

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

Kobi~ I go in front of the judge next month for my hearing. I have been told here, that there will be some job assessment people there (i forgot their actual title) that will try to assess whether I can do any job including washing dishes. I know there is people that cheat the system but really....if u have a degree and in a professional field and LOVE what you do why would you do that? If I could work a normal schedule, I would be glad to
When is your hearing btw?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

I don't remember much about mine. The judge pretty much had his decision made for me prior to the court preceeding. I had recently had surgery so the judge wanted to determine whether i was any better since it. I wasn't. I knew when leaving that my benefits had been approved.

Luckily i have gotten better and the only benefit i still receive is medicare
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delish View Post
Kobi~ I go in front of the judge next month for my hearing. I have been told here, that there will be some job assessment people there (i forgot their actual title) that will try to assess whether I can do any job including washing dishes. I know there is people that cheat the system but really....if u have a degree and in a professional field and LOVE what you do why would you do that? If I could work a normal schedule, I would be glad to
When is your hearing btw?
Delish,

The job assessment people are the vocational counselors. I didnt know they would be there until the letter to the voc person came in my packet.

Had a funny (haha) discussion with my lawyer over this. Told him the question to ask me is not CAN I do something but HOW. I live alone. If I cant figure out how to do something I have an even bigger problem. Of course I can cook, clean, grocery shop and do laundry. Now ask me HOW I have to do them.

I am sure people do try and rip off the system. What bugs me is the money I get from long term disability barely covers my mortgage. I have been draining savings for 3 years to cover the rest, even after cutting expense to the bone. Does any sane person think I would do this for the heck of it?

My hearing the Sept 13th. Thankfully not a Friday the 13th. And what is this hearing by video stuff? Judge doesnt even come in person unless you request it and are willing to wait a few more months. Heck maybe they can save me a trip to the city and we can do it via skype.

I wish you well at your hearing. It is definately an aggravating experience.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
She put a ring on it and the date is set :)

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
Delish,

The job assessment people are the vocational counselors. I didnt know they would be there until the letter to the voc person came in my packet.

Had a funny (haha) discussion with my lawyer over this. Told him the question to ask me is not CAN I do something but HOW. I live alone. If I cant figure out how to do something I have an even bigger problem. Of course I can cook, clean, grocery shop and do laundry. Now ask me HOW I have to do them.

I am sure people do try and rip off the system. What bugs me is the money I get from long term disability barely covers my mortgage. I have been draining savings for 3 years to cover the rest, even after cutting expense to the bone. Does any sane person think I would do this for the heck of it?

My hearing the Sept 13th. Thankfully not a Friday the 13th. And what is this hearing by video stuff? Judge doesnt even come in person unless you request it and are willing to wait a few more months. Heck maybe they can save me a trip to the city and we can do it via skype.

I wish you well at your hearing. It is definately an aggravating experience.

My issue is not how but when I can do things. My issue is chronic fatigue and pain due to apparently Lupus. I have already spent my savings and thankfully my ex is covering our mortgage. I am going to owe her out the ass if we don't sell soon.

Thank you and good luck with yours too! My bday is Sept 13th and my hearing is Sept 14th Maybe Sept will be a good month for us!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up I had professional help!

To all who need help,

I had a company called Allsup help me get my SSDI the first time through; they have an either 93 or 97% win rate...I don't remember the correct number since it's been so many years.

They sent me the paperwork to fill out but then called me to and asked me the questions and the lady filled in the answers in the computer while we were on the phone, very helpful. And she asked questions I could tell that were eliciting answers from me that were making my case better than had I filled out the papers and just mailed them back in alone.

They do charge a fee but their is a federal limit on how much they can charge and let me tell you, it is so worth their help! The phone number is 1-800-560-1410. They even have a website, just google allsup. Hope this helps!