Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
ZoeyJayne

How Do You Identify?:
Desbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Dez, me , it , her , who knows lol
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

ZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST Reputation
Talking I am getting married and I am clueless......HELP!!!

So after a year Alicia and I have decided that we want to get married... She proposed to me on thanksgiving day at her parents house and now my brain has been filled with lots of OMG's and how do you plan a wedding with no money... I have my friends telling me I need this and I need that and this and that... But here is the thing.. We are not doing a traditional wedding... We know that for the reception we are going to be doing a potluck... we have the hall picked out (I think)... we know our colors are going to be a limeish green and light blue.. we set the date of 9/24/16.. Alicia and I are not much of the dress wearing type, But I am also not the tux wearing type and neither is she... we are both neither butch nor fem we are just ourselves.. But I do want to wear a dress or maybe I dont know .. but i dont want a wedding dress... I want like something casual and simple... .... Let me stop ranting and being all scattered here ... I just have no clue how to plan a wedding and a few idea's could be helpful... Thanks in advanced
Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

.................................. well that's a shocker (not on facebook much, must have missed it in the feed)

congratulations hunny

-- p.s, people will tell you what they know and feel, but it's your wedding, so do what you feel is right.

what style of dress are you thinking? In September here, it's like 90 degrees so i'm not sure about the weather up there. Are you looking for like a long flowy dress, summer dress? what are you envisioning? you can text me if you want.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

First of all, you've got to tune out your friends and the entire wedding industry as far as "you need this and that and Pluto" to get married. You actually just need the legalities and that's it.

I strongly caution you on throwing a potluck, unless your wedding is very small. I advise you (I know, here I am throwing advice around ) to let your guests be guests and don't make them "work". There are ways to provide food and refreshment that doesn't break the bank, even if it's cake and punch. That used to be the norm, anyway.

There may be legalities around throwing a potluck and using the hall's kitchen, also. Take it from me speaking from experience, the aggravation and extra work on you isn't worth it. I learned it's far worth the money to hand it over to caterers, including set up and serving.

You don't need tuxes or wedding dresses. Since you have over a year, check out prom and homecoming season dresses coming out.

Above all, get organized and stay that way. And have fun .
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

Do what feels right my dear Zoeykins and many congratulations to you both
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Congratulations on your engagement!

When my wife and i married we wanted friends and family around us, but we were determined not to spend a lot, so here are a few of our ideas:

We had our ceremony and reception in my Mom's lovely backyard by the pool. Maybe you know someone with a nice backyard you can use for free? September is a good time for an outside wedding. You can rent chairs for a small fee, or ask friends and neighbors to borrow a few.

We had a small plain cake made at our nearby grocery store, and went to a cake decorating store for a topper. We had cupcakes made up in our colors, and there you go for maybe $50 total.

If you have a 99cent store/dollar store, keep your eyes open for deals on matching paper plates, napkins, cups, plastic forks...etc. You can also find seasonal decorations there for cheap...we were married in July, so we bought summery things and tikki torches for around the pool.

If you or your friends know how, do some music mixes, and have one of them help you with the music...maybe cost you a six-pack or it could be their gift?

If you plan to have booze, do a spiked punch for the adults and a regular for the kids? Cheaper than beer and booze set-ups.

To go with our summer theme, we bought great silk flowers at the local craft store and made all of the flower bouquets and coursages. I still have ours!

Printed Invitations are pretty pricy, so make them yourselves, or buys some plain and have a crafty friend do calligraphy for you as their gift.

So many ideas, lol

Make lists of things you really can't live without at your wedding, and go from there. We found we really couldn't live without our family and friends there...everything else was icing on the cake!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations! I agree with everyone who said you should have the kind of party that suits you. Make an event that you would want to attend. If you're still torn, ask yourself why you're doing this thing, anyway. What's the purpose of throwing this party? If it's a joyful celebration of the family you're creating, and you're so happy about that that you can't help but invite all the people who are important to you to witness it, then do whatever you think honors that intention. If you're concerned with presenting a proper image and creating a traditional event that conforms with expectations about what marriage means to your family and community, then pay more attention to all the traditional practices that signal to one and all that you're MARRIED in the way they've come to expect.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive for most women I know. For them, wearing a traditional white lace dress and throwing the bouquet to their unmarried friends with all their family watching is THE most joyful of all the joyful celebrations on earth. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in those traditions for myself, and it sounds to me like you're not necessarily inclined towards all those traditional wedding rituals, either. That doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy them and find them incredibly meaningful were you to end up adhering to them, but you don't have to.

Waaay back in the way back machine, my ex and I got handfasted, (Pagan/Wiccan commitment ceremony). A white dress wasn't even on my radar. Besides all the wedding industry hoopla that I wasn't interested in supporting, it's my opinion that red is the right colour for the occasion. It represents lust, vigor, fertility and good health. Green is a great colour, too. It's the colour of growth also of fertility, as well as material wealth. My handfasting dress was red, and I thought it was a perfect choice for the occasion. Other colours have their own associations, and it might help you choose how you decorate yourself and your party space to think about the symbolism they carry.

When I reduce a wedding down to the essentials, I see it as an important life event during which you officially create family, and invite your friends/family to witness and support you in your choice. Whenever you're stuck just keep asking yourself if the thing your second cousin insists you can't do without contributes to, or detracts from, that intention.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Congrats to you both!

As far as wedding details, Pinterest has a whole bunch of ideas for all budgets. Dont get so overwhelmed with it all that you forget to enjoy the moment(s)!!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,170 Times in 5,134 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

My one bit of advice - get a check-off list (there are lots of similar ones around), assign deadlines and stick to it. A year and a half is just about the right amount of time to plan a wedding at a reasonable pace without killing yourself. With a year and a half, it could even be - gasp! - fun!

Best Wishes,
GeorgiaMa'am
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: