Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Nothing.....oh no I'm going through a funk, must get to the library or Amazon.com.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #1642
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,403 Times in 6,875 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm greatly looking forward to starting The Woods in Winter by Bernd Heinrich. he is an amazing naturalist who learned at his father's knee...then went on to get advanced degrees in botany and zoology. He teaches at the University of Vermont. He has the ability to put scientific things into layman's terms without dumbing it down....
The first book I read of his was A Year in the Maine Woods...he does a Thoreau basically....and writes about it...
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #1643
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default I really must start posting in this thread ...

isn't this picture gorgeous? from: https://www.facebook.com/TitleWaveforBooks

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1644
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

Wizard's First Rule - Terry Goodkind

Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1645
SomethingBeautiful

How Do You Identify?:
Neither butch nor femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, captain? :P
Relationship Status:
Existant & no so complex anymore

SomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST Reputation

Currently the weekly flyers, because I haven't found a new book to focus on.
SomethingBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SomethingBeautiful For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #1646
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading ..always..more than one book at a time...
and life will end before I get to read all I would have liked...

currently...
1. the Hobbit...love it...and soon the movie will be out

2. Burn Unit... about nursing care for burn victims... not for everyone..but I am a nurse and it is very interesting to me.

3. Emotional Sobriety... about not following old patterns I grew up with... how to outgrow them...

4. Mammarazzi... (lol ) ... a book on tips for photographing children...

plenty of reading for a while...
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmeandstrong For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1647
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingBeautiful View Post
Currently the weekly flyers, because I haven't found a new book to focus on.
LOL ..sb...

reg the flyers...

ur a riot...
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to femmeandstrong For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1648
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

A Dangerous Inheritance, by Alison Weir. This is pure historical trash, although I enjoy her biographies.

It's parallel stories of Katherine Plantagenet, illegitimate daughter of Richard, Duke of Gloucester (and soon to be King), and Katherine Grey, sister of Lady Jane Grey. Both were real people, though I'm sure much license has been taken as to their personalities and characters.

Katherine Plantagenet is more a convenient character narrating the unfolding story of Richard, his sister-in-law the Queen, and his nephews. He of course has gone down as the wickedest uncle in history, killing his nephews and allegedly several other kin to snatch the throne for himself. Or was he??

The image of the hunchbacked homicidal power-mad Richard came out of the Tudors and Shakespeare. Henry Tudor, with only a flimsy claim to the throne, won the Battle of Bosworth and became Henry VII. That tenuosity would have ramifications throughout all the Tudor reigns and afterwards. Richard's much more sympathetic in the book. Others, including Henry, also had motive to brush aside the boy-king and his brother like mosquitos.

Katherine Grey was caught up in a plot by a powerful duke to prevent the Roman Catholic Mary Tudor (Henry VIII's daughter) from becoming Queen, after the Protestant Edward VI died. Part of this was marrying her to the son of one of his cronies, and there are teasing scenes of almost-consummation, but in reality the marriage was never consummated and ultimately annulled. Later, she brought down the rage of her cousin Elizabeth when she clandestinely married without the Queen's consent and had two sons, to boot. She died under house arrest. Her role in the book is to discover her distant relative Katherine Plantagenet and what happened to the nephews.

Books like this usually just make me mad, as they are almost like fanfiction instead of reality. But, once in a while, a little trash is a good thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1649
MegBluEyz

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

MegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST Reputation

Reading is one of my favorite past times. I have been disappointed lately that schools are not using paper books anymore. There is so much value in turning the page of a book and the smell of it. Like in old bookstores.
I continuously read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and keep it in my nightstand. It is a book for ones life.
MegBluEyz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegBluEyz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #1650
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBluEyz View Post
Reading is one of my favorite past times. I have been disappointed lately that schools are not using paper books anymore. There is so much value in turning the page of a book and the smell of it. Like in old bookstores.
I continuously read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and keep it in my nightstand. It is a book for ones life.
I feel exactly the same. I'm very sad to see books disappearing slowly. And like you, I've been reading The Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh continuously for many, many years. It is a book for ones life as well.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #1651
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I had to put "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin down for a couple of weeks due to school but I picked it back up tonight.

I also have "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk and an old Thanatochemistry book (the science of embalming human bodies) going.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #1652
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Letters For My Brothers: Transitional Wisdom in Retrospect

Edited by Megan M. Rohrer and Zander Keig
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #1653
MegBluEyz

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

MegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST ReputationMegBluEyz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
I feel exactly the same. I'm very sad to see books disappearing slowly. And like you, I've been reading The Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh continuously for many, many years. It is a book for ones life as well.

It is good to know that I am not the only one who feels a loss of paper books. I do somehow believe that the classics will remain timeless. I have not read, The Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh and will peruse it. I was recommended, The Untethered Soul, By Michael Singer, a book of the journey beyond yourself and think it might be quite good.
MegBluEyz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MegBluEyz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #1654
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

WILD by Cheryl Strayed

"On an icy trek across the frozen Northwest, a brave new writer finds her voice."
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1655
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung View Post
i've walked past this book a few times and admit i've judged it by it's cover
is it a good read?

it was a quick easy read, chock full of tidbits that I didn't know.

example: in the James Taylor song
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmgkvIgc0w"]James Taylor - "Carolina in My Mind " - YouTube[/nomedia]
the lyrics "It's been a holy host of others standing round me"
is a nod to The Beatles who had his recording contract at Apple Corps Ltd.

I'm a huge James Taylor and CSNY and the author weaves in and out of each of the artist history (mostly) in chronological order.

afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #1656
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,377 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This was recommended to me by a wonderful friend, and I have to say it is amazing. Not just about civil conduct, but the "ethical underpinnings of manners". Puts a whole new spin on human interaction. I can't say enough good about it and I haven't even finished it yet. Light easy read.

Book Description from Amazon

Publication Date: April 1, 2010
Most people would agree that thoughtful behavior and common decency are in short supply, or simply forgotten in hurried lives of emails, cellphones, and multi-tasking. In Choosing Civility, P. M. Forni identifies the twenty-five rules that are most essential in connecting effectively and happily with others. In clear, witty, and, well...civilized language, Forni covers topics that include:

* Think Twice Before Asking Favors
* Give Constructive Criticism
* Refrain from Idle Complaints
* Respect Others' Opinions
* Don't Shift Responsibility and Blame
* Care for Your Guests
* Accept and Give Praise

Finally, Forni provides examples of how to put each rule into practice and so make life-and the lives of others-more enjoyable, companionable, and rewarding.

Choosing Civility is a simple, practical, perfectly measured, and quietly magical handbook on the lost art of civility and compassion.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #1657
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Old Thing
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ol Butch Bones
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Written and signed by my own Dr. Adolphus Anekwe- "The Stamped Image" (Fiction)
The daunting discovery of a new chromosomal marking, HLA B66, otherwise known as the 666 gene, that is present in those who have committed heinous crimes, and the search for those everyday citizens who test positive.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1658
SoulShineFemme

How Do You Identify?:
All girl. All the time.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Married to my beloved ONLY

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,363 Times in 455 Posts
SoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading a book called "Your Call Is Important To Us. The Truth About BULLSHIT"
By Laura Penny.
SoulShineFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SoulShineFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #1659
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

LIARS, LOVERS, and HEROES (What the new brain science reveals about how we become who we are) By Steven R. Quartz & H.D & Terrence J. Sejnowski PH.D.

...Very interesting..
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #1660
Daktari

Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night. Awesome book, wonderfully tight writing style. It's my first Vonnegut and I'm hooked. I have Breakfast of Champions next.

Still reading the odd article in the one book and a chapter here and there in a couple of others. I should stop being a flea brain and settle down to savour them individually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading