Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Parenting

Parenting This area is for discussing parenting, adoption and anything related to raising our kids!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default My credit is ruined??? But, I'm only 5!

http://xfinity.comcast.net/finance/f...hildsidentity/

I read this article today, and it reminded me of a woman that I worked with 9 years ago, who used her daughter's social security number (she was 10 years old at the time) to get cable. I was shocked, because it had never occurred to me that someone would do that. To make matters worse, she was always late paying and periodically her cable was shut off for non-payment. I remember being really mad because I knew she was ruining her daughter's credit. I can only imagine what other accounts she opened up at the time.

I went to the TransUnion link in the article and filled it out for my son. I am hopeful that it will come back clear, although goodness knows I wouldn't put it past his father to have used it for something.

Anyone ever experienced an issue with someone using a child's social security number fraudulently?
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I came into contact with several people at an old employer who had used their children's name and social to obtain credit. I was AGOG to the say the least.

I try to wrap my head around why someone would do this and understand that poverty can feel really desperate but to use a child's information that way is just gross.

Nice link!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've known people who have done this and it made me want to shake them til their teeth rattled. I tried to explain to one person, who was a close coworker, that she was condemning her daughter to the life she was, herself, trying so desperately to get away from. She never saw my point.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I am assuming it is criminal for a parent to use their child's social security number just like it would be if someone else did it?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
1PlayfulFemme

How Do You Identify?:
An Unwitting Thread Derailer!
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, femme through and through
Relationship Status:
She is my soul.

Thanked 2,362 Times in 697 Posts
1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I knew a woman once who had stolen her grandmother's (Her namesake's) identity. The granddaughter had horrible credit...her grandmother's WAS impeccable. Needless to say, if you'll steal from your grandmother, you'll likely steal from others. Can't even begin to tell you how much she stole from us and our friends that were trying to "help her out". I think most of us learned big lessons from her. When we finally kicked her out of our home, she hadn't seemed to have learned anything.

That was the most abhorrent thing I had ever seen, til this!!! Screwing up your kids future so you can charge stuff (or open accounts) you can't afford to pay for??? Good grief!! My warning if you know someone who is guilty of this, watch your own wallet around them. If you'll rationalize stealing your kids identity (and their financial future), you'll rationalize anything...at least in my mind!

Whatever you fear most has no power. It is your fear that holds the power.
-Oprah Winfrey
1PlayfulFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1PlayfulFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I knew someone that did this with all 3 of her kids
I have also known those that used a dead relative that left this world with a great credit history

Sadly, poverty does play a role in what some do, but not everyone
Some use others because they are too lazy to work
Others do it just to see if they can get away with it
Either way, I'm not in favor of it or those that do it

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

When I was working, I do remember people who had their utilities shut off were being advised to get service restarted using a child's name.

It solved an immediate problem but I dont think anyone was aware of the potential ramifications down the road.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for all of the responses.

In regards to using a deceased family member's social security number...

I ran a housing program years ago, and one of our clients passed away suddenly. We contacted her family immediately to make arrangements for her funeral and to set a time so they could get her belongings. The day her son and daughter came to "get her belongings" they literally ransacked her apartment and left, taking only the food in her kitchen. I received a phone call the following day asking me if I knew where her social security card and ID were. The client had an entire apartment full of sentimental items, pictures, clothing, and furniture, but all they wanted were the food and the card and ID. I had already removed her wallet at the request of her mother, so they did not get them.

We ended up donating most of her belongings. So, it was a shame. The son and daughter were also clients of the agency, and in different housing programs, so I knew all of their basic needs were being taken care of.

To me, cable is a luxury, and shame on my old co-worker.

I looked to see what happens if a parent uses a minor child's ss# and this is a link to an answer.

http://www.experian.com/ask-experian...ty-number.html

Haven't received a response from TransUnion yet, so I am hoping that no news is good news.

Last edited by tantalizingfemme; 05-15-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: