Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Reality TV & Gossip TV

Today, Greyson shared a news story about a woman who committed suicide after being involved in a prank call about Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.

Duchess of Cambridge hoax call nurse found dead

The hospital said in a statement: "We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital.

"She was an excellent nurse and well-respected and popular with all of her colleagues."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

I responded with

"I cannot even begin to express how incredibly angry this news story made me. This is the direct result of our society's unhealthy obsession with the lives of other people. We have NO RIGHT to personal information about anyone that they do not care to divulge.

And yet, two DJ's felt it necessary to pose as Royals to get information. From the sounds of this article, this nurse self-terminated because of this.

At what point do we humans get that it's not our right? I blame reality TV and gossip columnists of old for this mind set--this self-righteous sense of entitlement.

Yep. This truly pisses me off."

So I ask you. Do we have a right to condone reality tv/gossip tv/any of the shows that dig and scrabble in other people's lives? Where is the button that we need to switch OFF when it comes to our fascination with other people's lives?

I'm just sick about this. My own son loves all of the reality shows and lives on E! TV.

Our need to know killed Princess Diana. And now it just killed a mother of two. Who else gets to die because we won't turn the TV channel away from these crap shows or tune the radio to something else?

And don't kid yourselves. The gossip fools and reality tv show producers wouldn't be making money if we weren't watching. Ratings pay for advertisers.

I do watch certain types of reality shows but not the ones that want to air famous people's dirty laundry (or clean).

Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Arwen, thank you for starting this thread. When I read the news this morning about the nurse that was unknowningly, without consent, pulled into this prank and she is now dead, anger shot through me and my heart broke.

I am almost speechless. I don't usually indulge in reality TV nor listen to DJs that use "shock and aw" as part of their gimmick. I am not without my part in this need to know.

What is it about human nature that we seem to feed on this celebrity thing or glued to our TV screens, computer monitors to watch "others" living in a world of "Me, Me, Me." I am special too and everyone will want to know, how I party, use the restroom and try to achieve celebrity at any cost to myself and others?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

those dj's have her blood on their hands..........

skeet

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

We watch the amazing race and the voice and that's it. Red worked in Hollywood in the 80's and she became somewhat star struck for awhile but we don't watch any entertainment news or spend time wondering who's who's is doing what with who's who's
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I came back to this thread because the death of the nurse that killed herself has been deemed a suicide by law enforcement in London. This has been on my mind quite a bit and the why did she do it. What made her snap, give up?

Here is what has been spinning through my thoughts. First, when I heard her name before seeing any photos it was clear to me that most likely she was a WOC. Perhaps an immigrant, maybe not but most likely her racial, ethnic, profile would not fit the traditional profile of an English subject, citizen.

Then I read that she was a well respected and liked coworker at the hospital. Her work ethic, impeccable. Again, in my thoughts, yes a WOC and most likely the bar set for her was higher than that of her white counterparts. If not by the greater culture at large, then by her own family and herself, internalized ism.

Why would such an obvious achiever, intelligent professional woman and a mom feel such shame, failure to kill herself over being duped into a prank?

I am not a psychologist or a doctor of any sort but I am willing to bet this woman spent a great deal of energy in her life proving she was worthy, smart enough, "normal" enough, good citizen enough, good wife, mother and daughter enough to make any family proud. Spent her energy proving she was just as good as her white counterparts. To be duped by these DJs and gullible enough to believe that this accented female voice at the other end of the line was the Queen, well it was just too much for her.

These are my thoughts, not based on science, based on my reality of growing up not white and poor in a world that says "First, you must be white, then educated, and with means." If you are not, you are out. If you do aspire to make it into the "club" then the standard will be set much higher for your kind.

I am rambling a bit, but really I was not surprised it was a WOC and killed herself. May she rest in peace. My condolances to her family.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Default The Austrailian Radio Station

The Australian Communications and Media Authority, which regulates radio broadcasting, says it has received complaints about the prank and is discussing the matter with the Sydney-based station, though it has not yet begun an investigation.

The station has a history of controversy, including a series of "Heartless Hotline" shows in which disadvantage people were offered a prize that could be taken away from them by listeners.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/08/504...o-station.html

__________________________________________________ ___________

This sort of radio program did not originate in Austrailia. This does not take away from the responsible behavior of any adult and business entity. Does anyone see the connection between this and the "media" being produced in first world nations? Who sets the standard for global programming? Think about it.

Again, see what other program that was being aired on that radio station? Who is the brunt of the joke?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default ..........

Because of this thoughtless prank.....and anyone else who trys maliciously to get info on those in care facilities they have Hipaa Laws,that wont allow info to be given to anyone but immediate family in person.

There are and will be folks with someone near and dear in the hospital/emergency care facility and they will be trying to get information and none will be able to be given until they arrive in person and have proof who they are...

I see it all the time and the flip side is all the anguish that happens needlessly because they must wait due to those that misuse the system.

Sad
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Releasing confidential patient information is a crime in the U.S. I imagine that the laws there are similar. I would bet that part of the reasons these laws exist if from abuse in confidentiality where public figures and the famous are concerned. Now, please do not mistake my last comment for anything more than a possible "why."

She probably stressed the repercussions of this and did not see any other way out. It truly saddens me that she might have thought that the backlash was not worth living through.

Those DJs should be punished but if they have any type of decency, then the knowledge they have to live with, in regards to this issue, should be far worse than anything the law can do to them.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Just to be clear, I am not saying this prank was aimed specifically at this nurse because she was a woc. Who picked up the phone was random. I am saying the nurses reaction to the incident could be in part to her life time experience in total as a woc and "successful" professionally by western standards.

The HIPA laws are for medical privacy. I can see how some could see my posts as getting off the original point of the thread, maybe. Anyone want to address some of the points, concerns made about media such as Reality TV, Gossip media, Radio Programs? The impact of media on national and global culture?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Just to be clear, I am not saying this prank was aimed specifically at this nurse because she was a woc. Who picked up the phone was random. I am saying the nurses reaction to the incident could be in part to her life time experience in total as a woc and "successful" professionally by western standards.

The HIPA laws are for medical privacy. I can see how some could see my posts as getting off the original point of the thread, maybe. Anyone want to address some of the points, concerns made about media such as Reality TV, Gossip media, Radio Programs? The impact of media on national and global culture?
I dont think you are off base Grey,What happened is about "gossip" and radio/reality shows.

What folks do and are willing to do and the consequences are "reality"
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation
Default may not be the popular view but.............

Quote:

I'll be perfectly honest here, i just have very mixed feelings about this. I have read a little about this and what i've read may not be all that is out there and more information could certainly sway how i view it.

But.

One the one hand...you have a radio station and program with a poor history regarding the "people" behind the pranks. I find the whole thing in bad taste if nothing else. The paparazzi there is even worse than here and i want to believe that they have laws for such things. We can get in trouble here, in the States, for impersonating a government official. I am surprised the same is not true there.

On the other hand....I have read they did not expect to get to talk to even a nurse on the floor. Breakdown in policy of the hospital? Not sure what their hippa rules are there. Here in the United States we use passwords/codes that only the next of kin know. Our Hippa laws are non negotiable and they can land a nurse to be stripped of her license and even serve time. Again, i have no clue what the rules are there.

What i find that is very intriguing about what i know about this and even very odd is that the lady that killed herself wasn't even the one that gave out the information, it was a different nurse. Apparently the one that took her life only handed someone else the phone. So with the info i have so far it is just hard to swallow that this was the only reason.

Was she depressed? On medications? Suicidal anyway? Was she sick with a disease? I understand that no note was left? So, no one really knows the why, if i have my information correct. Or....was it because she was POC and from India, maybe how she was raised or the beliefs there, including shame as being a huge reason to turn their backs on their own families, could be an issue.

I'm just not sure. But, i am VERY hesitant to put all of the blame solely on two radio personalities, even though they don't seem to have high standards for humility, without knowing a LOT more details.

As far as too much reality TV, i don't see it as bringing more problems to our civilization. Whether i'm watching Honey BooBoo getting a manicure and cussing at the age of 4 or watching people being blown up or shot to death on a fictional detective shows, my view of the world and my personal meaning in life doesn't change.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

i watch the kardashians. but that's because i lust after kris. just something about her. and rob has a sock line.

is dog the bounty hunter considered reality? duck dynasty? dog was canceled. and again, i only watched because i lusted after beth. and, beth called dog, ... big daddy. i want her to call me big daddy.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I am going to be honest,even with knowledge of the HIPPA laws etc, if I truly thought I was talking to the Queen who was very concerned about her family member, I might forget everything in my excitement. And I am American! That poor nurse was probably so overwhelmed she forgot all of her training.

The best thing we can do is to turn the station, to not open the news article online, to not support the advertisers/stars etc.

Money talks, bullshit walks. Maybe if enough money is lost, bullshit will walk.

I cannot fathom how hard it is to be famous, to be unable to do anything with any privacy. I know they choose their paths most of the time, but still, it has got to be very hard.

Does anyone remember the scene in "Mommie Dearest" where the fans stood outside Joan's home, calmly and patiently waiting for something & when they were dismissed, they left? Society has come a long way-but in the wrong direction.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
I'll be perfectly honest here, i just have very mixed feelings about this. I have read a little about this and what i've read may not be all that is out there and more information could certainly sway how i view it.

But.

One the one hand...you have a radio station and program with a poor history regarding the "people" behind the pranks. I find the whole thing in bad taste if nothing else. The paparazzi there is even worse than here and i want to believe that they have laws for such things. We can get in trouble here, in the States, for impersonating a government official. I am surprised the same is not true there.

On the other hand....I have read they did not expect to get to talk to even a nurse on the floor. Breakdown in policy of the hospital? Not sure what their hippa rules are there. Here in the United States we use passwords/codes that only the next of kin know. Our Hippa laws are non negotiable and they can land a nurse to be stripped of her license and even serve time. Again, i have no clue what the rules are there.

What i find that is very intriguing about what i know about this and even very odd is that the lady that killed herself wasn't even the one that gave out the information, it was a different nurse. Apparently the one that took her life only handed someone else the phone. So with the info i have so far it is just hard to swallow that this was the only reason.

Was she depressed? On medications? Suicidal anyway? Was she sick with a disease? I understand that no note was left? So, no one really knows the why, if i have my information correct. Or....was it because she was POC and from India, maybe how she was raised or the beliefs there, including shame as being a huge reason to turn their backs on their own families, could be an issue.

I'm just not sure. But, i am VERY hesitant to put all of the blame solely on two radio personalities, even though they don't seem to have high standards for humility, without knowing a LOT more details.

As far as too much reality TV, i don't see it as bringing more problems to our civilization. Whether i'm watching Honey BooBoo getting a manicure and cussing at the age of 4 or watching people being blown up or shot to death on a fictional detective shows, my view of the world and my personal meaning in life doesn't change.

Belle, I can understand mixed feelings. It is my understanding in what I have read in the media the woman who killed herself was the nurse that talked to the DJ thinking she was talking to the Queen.

Knowing you, I believe you that your personal world view will not change. Sadly, that is not the case for many. Some will watch Honey Boo Boo and it will serve to support a negative stereotype about "Rednecks." I use to watch Cowboy movies as a child and I winced, my stomach would tighten because the mexicans were always portrayed as lazy, dishonet, not so smart, villians, or the mexican people were "simple" and peasants. How do you feel about the stereotypes about people from TN?

Finally, just because I may think something, it does not make it 100% full proof correct. I just don't see the value in Reality TV. I don't even find it entertaining. I think it serves in dumbbing down our thinking skills and expectations of civility.

Last edited by Greyson; 12-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

ahh you mentioned Honey Boo Boo. I am so angry over that show. That poor child will spend the rest of her life tarnished because of that show, all for American Amusement...

While suicide is not usually done on the spur of the moment, there are times of great trauma that can stimulate suicidal behavior out of nowhere. The Stock Market crash brought about a few suicides. In my hometown, when the steel mills told workers that that shift was their last one, and they werent to return because they were closing the mills, men walked home and suicide soared. But was this the case with the nurse? Or was she experiencing other problems, long term depression, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Regardless of which it was, the issue is not why she did this, but why THEY did this. And why does it allow to continue?

I get so tired when I hear that pat answer "because thats what the public wants". I dont think so. I think we are lead to believe this is true. I think we are lead to want to know crap about good people. I think we are lead to want to know the dirt about our neighbors. I think we are lead to want to know others arent just our equals, but our less than fortunates. I think marketing makes us believe its what we want...and we simply buy into because we are sheep. Lemmings. We follow crowds. Because, because of television, we now sit in front of a box that tells us what products we want via commercials. Suffice it to say, it also tells us now, what values we want. Its not US saying this is what we want. Its THEM telling us its what we want...

when they stop pushing it, we will stop wanting it....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Belle, I can understand mixed feelings. It is my understanding in what I have read in the media the woman who killed herself was the nurse that talked to the DJ thinking she was talking to the Queen.

Knowing you, I believe you that your personal world view will not change. Sadly, that is not the case for many. Some will watch Honey Boo Boo and it will serve to support a negative stereotype about "Rednecks." I use to watch Cowboy movies as a child and I winced, my stomach would tighten because the mexicans were always portrayed as lazy, dishonet, not so smart, villians, or the mexican people were "simple" and peasants. How do you feel about the stereotypes about people from TN?

Finally, just because I may think something, it does not make it 100% full proof correct. I just don't see the value in Reality TV. I don't even find it entertaining. I think it serves in dumbbing down our thinking skills and expectations of civility.
These are from your link, and i've read this other places too....

Police have made no connection between her death and the prank call, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption she died because of the stress.

During the call, a woman using the often-mimicked voice of Britain's monarch asked about the duchess' health. She was told by the second nurse who took the call from Saldanha that the duchess, the former Kate Middleton, "hasn't had any retching with me and she's been sleeping on and off."

From what i read she may have truly believed this was the Queen, but only handed the phone to another nurse who did the talking. I may be wrong, but i just think there was way more going on in this woman's life that led her to this place and i have high doubts it was just this prank. The prank was bad, i agree, but from the info that is out there, i can't see it being the only reason this tragedy happened to this person. I have no clue, but i'm holding my judgement till either we get all the facts in this or we may never know.

As far as reality TV. I was under the impression we were discussing reality TV vs. regular TV and that's why i posted what i did. I don't see any difference. Like you said, TV in and of itself has always generalized and categorized people.

They both display wrong representation of all people. It's no worse now, IMO, than it was when stuff like Bonanza was on and how it represented the Native Americans. It's all bad, not just in 2012. That was what i was getting at.

Thanks for the dialog Greyson...

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Syr

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Syr

Thanked 1,130 Times in 217 Posts
Syr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST Reputation

I have not had a television in 10 years. It is a mind sucking, poor replacement for life. That is just my opinion. I have friends who complain of the things they need to do, say how bored and dissatisfied they are........and then tell me about the 4 hours they spent watching tv.......
Syr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Syr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
ahh you mentioned Honey Boo Boo. I am so angry over that show. That poor child will spend the rest of her life tarnished because of that show, all for American Amusement...

While suicide is not usually done on the spur of the moment, there are times of great trauma that can stimulate suicidal behavior out of nowhere. The Stock Market crash brought about a few suicides. In my hometown, when the steel mills told workers that that shift was their last one, and they werent to return because they were closing the mills, men walked home and suicide soared. But was this the case with the nurse? Or was she experiencing other problems, long term depression, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Regardless of which it was, the issue is not why she did this, but why THEY did this. And why does it allow to continue?

I get so tired when I hear that pat answer "because thats what the public wants". I dont think so. I think we are lead to believe this is true. I think we are lead to want to know crap about good people. I think we are lead to want to know the dirt about our neighbors. I think we are lead to want to know others arent just our equals, but our less than fortunates. I think marketing makes us believe its what we want...and we simply buy into because we are sheep. Lemmings. We follow crowds. Because, because of television, we now sit in front of a box that tells us what products we want via commercials. Suffice it to say, it also tells us now, what values we want. Its not US saying this is what we want. Its THEM telling us its what we want...

when they stop pushing it, we will stop wanting it
I have to disagree. It doesn't make sense to me that just because the media tells us that we want it that someone would want it.

I have no interest in watching any reality series, any celebrity stuff, etc. None. I think that the only reality show that I have ever really watched was the first and second season of Survivor. Oh, and I did watch half a season of American Idol, once more than several years ago.

I had to google "honey boo boo".

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I believe with any reality show with children, blame the parent(s), not the audience.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I have to disagree. It doesn't make sense to me that just because the media tells us that we want it that someone would want it.

I have no interest in watching any reality series, any celebrity stuff, etc. None. I think that the only reality show that I have ever really watched was the first and second season of Survivor. Oh, and I did watch half a season of American Idol, once more than several years ago.

I had to google "honey boo boo".
That's because you are a very, very special person.

I believe that 'blame' for the 'reality' TV niche should be divided amongst the crowd. Folks for tuning in, companies and creators for making the crap, the media for hyping it up, the folks that participate in it.....Housewives of Wherever come to mind....and the cycle begins anew. At every turn, there is weight to bear and nothing will change until the demand changes. So, it does start with the viewers. Viewers hold the power but appear to be the weakest part of the cycle. Interesting how that works...

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
gossip tv, killers, murder, reality tv, talk radio