Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Can I just Ask???

Ok I do not know where another thread like this exist if it does at all.

so here goes the reason for it.

Im a pretty smart girl, however i live alone and there are some things that just befuddle, Now im pretty certain if someone were to ask question about os or computer hardware i would easily be able to answer that,,,etc etc

i would like this thread to be about being able to ask questions without feeling sill or put down because one may not know.

I will start....please i need help

can i just ask, why does the sound suddenly not work on some of my tv channels however works on the rest? Seriously it has me stumped and i do not know what to do about it.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

I sooo wish I could help you Gaea, but alas, I do not know :-/
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Most commonly the channels without sound are set on the SAP audio option. Go to the channel not working. Hit the menu button and go to audio options. Make sure the station is on mono or stereo - which ever you prefer.

Sometimes it is the cable box, if you have one. Unplug it, let it sit for a few to reset itself and plug back in.

If you have comcast, try the LANG button on the remote.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
ruby_woo

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,941 Times in 376 Posts
ruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputationruby_woo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post

Im a pretty smart girl, however i live alone and there are some things that just befuddle, Now im pretty certain if someone were to ask question about os or computer hardware i would easily be able to answer that,,,etc etc

i would like this thread to be about being able to ask questions without feeling sill or put down because one may not know.

can i just ask, why does the sound suddenly not work on some of my tv channels however works on the rest? Seriously it has me stumped and i do not know what to do about it.
I don't know, but this happens to me too. I usually just turn off the tv and turn it back on again in a few minutes, and it seems to work.
ruby_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby_woo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

Oh, Do you have hard wire cable?
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Most commonly the channels without sound are set on the SAP audio option. Go to the channel not working. Hit the menu button and go to audio options. Make sure the station is on mono or stereo - which ever you prefer.

Sometimes it is the cable box, if you have one. Unplug it, let it sit for a few to reset itself and plug back in.

If you have comcast, try the LANG button on the remote.
I have comcast basic, my language is set to eng my sound is on stereo, i have unplugged the box let it sit and still nothing on 3 channels however sound on the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Oh, Do you have hard wire cable?
yes I have comcast.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

i do not know what i did as i reset the box as suggested it didnt seem to work at the time and now 5 mins later it is working.

YAY....thanks for the suggestion...im guessing a cable box is much like a computer and sometimes needs a reboot...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Gaige

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch

Thanked 3,756 Times in 1,171 Posts
Gaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST Reputation
Default CIJA...

if we can use this thread for rhetorical questions? This isn’t one of those btw.
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaige For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
if we can use this thread for rhetorical questions? This isn’t one of those btw.
Ask away....

this can be a fun thread for all and even just to get the littlest bit of help like making my sound work again.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Default errr, "really?" ;-)

I'm used to satellite...and my dad was just explaining some of this stuff to me, which is a tad out of my realm...because shows/movies "on demand" are available on cable and not satellite.

He was saying something in the neighborhood (having called fairly high up the service chain) to get an explanation as to why things didn't always work...at least right away.

So, in a given service area, (don't forget, I'm not a techie) there's a "bandwidth" type of thing going on and too many offerings and users for the bandwidth, should everybody want to use it at the same time, which we don't.

Then, when a request is made via your TV and remote (and we have gotten use to instantaneous response times) that selection has been "put away" and is not right there in the instant, so what happens in the moment is nothing or partial. Then there is computerized switching of things and what was requested comes up....and non-techie me is adding, I think an on-off or channel change somewhere may help "reload" the buffer to the new information like hitting "refresh"...but maybe not.

And so, even if this is wrong or only partly right, maybe some techie person will clarify.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I'm used to satellite...and my dad was just explaining some of this stuff to me, which is a tad out of my realm...because shows/movies "on demand" are available on cable and not satellite.

He was saying something in the neighborhood (having called fairly high up the service chain) to get an explanation as to why things didn't always work...at least right away.

So, in a given service area, (don't forget, I'm not a techie) there's a "bandwidth" type of thing going on and too many offerings and users for the bandwidth, should everybody want to use it at the same time, which we don't.

Then, when a request is made via your TV and remote (and we have gotten use to instantaneous response times) that selection has been "put away" and is not right there in the instant, so what happens in the moment is nothing or partial. Then there is computerized switching of things and what was requested comes up....and non-techie me is adding, I think an on-off or channel change somewhere may help "reload" the buffer to the new information like hitting "refresh"...but maybe not.

And so, even if this is wrong or only partly right, maybe some techie person will clarify.
I have to be honest here, im not much for all those hundreds of channels so i have basic cable with a basic little tiny box in my living room which is where the issue was...only a few channels not all...i have a larger box in my bedroom because the cable guy didnt want to be bothered with switching it after i explained to him many times i only wanted the antenna service "im good with channel 13 and recently fox" anyway i have this fancy remote....and i just learned last night i could actually watch some "on demand" shows in my bedroom however i have no idea how i accessed that and i have no idea if i could replicate that.

I like my remote for changing a channel and for volume maybe someday i will get fancy with this television thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation
Default Rhetorical

CIJA ... why do I insist on getting pot stickers when I dont like them?
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Spirit View Post
CIJA ... why do I insist on getting pot stickers when I dont like them?
So you can share them with your friends!!! hee hee,,,I love pot stickers when did you get them?

Cija- What do you do with them?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

CIJA I am compelled to answer all rhetorical questions for free entertainment. Would that be a problem?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So you can share them with your friends!!! hee hee,,,I love pot stickers when did you get them?

Cija- What do you do with them?

I got them this afternoon when I got some orange chicken for lunch - they always look so good and then when I try one, I just dont like them and end up giving the others to the dogs! lol

I think I keep expecting them to be something else based on how they look - then it's a shock to taste them and see that one, they are not what I thought they would be and two, I really dont like or want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
CIJA I am compelled to answer all rhetorical questions for free entertainment. Would that be a problem?

lol, nope - I just put "rhetorical" so people wouldnt think I was actually expecting some kind of psychological or philosophical answer. A sarcastic answer, however, is a different story.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
spike

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/hym
Relationship Status:
Taken

spike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputationspike Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have to be honest here, im not much for all those hundreds of channels so i have basic cable with a basic little tiny box in my living room which is where the issue was...only a few channels not all...i have a larger box in my bedroom because the cable guy didnt want to be bothered with switching it after i explained to him many times i only wanted the antenna service "im good with channel 13 and recently fox" anyway i have this fancy remote....and i just learned last night i could actually watch some "on demand" shows in my bedroom however i have no idea how i accessed that and i have no idea if i could replicate that.

I like my remote for changing a channel and for volume maybe someday i will get fancy with this television thing.
I gave up cable over two years ago. I now use a digital reciever box and I get about 20 channels, which is more than enough for me. I am not a big tv person anyways and I don't have a cable bill every month either. If there is something I really want to watch from a cable channel it is usually on the internet somewhere.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

This is audio catching up with visual in the world of HD and digital. It could be a number of reasons your TV does that.

First off, if your TV is more than 5yrs old, you may need a new one. (yes, TV's built in the last 10 years were built to fail, anticipating the recording upgrades. I think they are better now.) Because:

Digital is instant. Both audio and visual are recorded that way. Light is faster than sound, regardless. On the channels you do have sound, do the lips ALWAYS match with the words? It might be slight but, I bet they don't. (I notice on some shows at my house on a 7yr old TV)
Also, there are recording laws as to what level of "noise" you can record at. (there are no such laws for commercials, that's why they are so much louder than the show your watching. (on the channels you can't hear the show, you can hear the commercials, right?)) Because digital is "cleaner" from the git go, the levels at which it can be recorded are lower.

Your TV may not recognize the new recording/broadcast formats. Some, it seems but, not all. And the ones it does recognize, might not happen right away. Turning it off and on might help the lagging in recognition but, it will not fix it. In a nut shell, the broadcast may be too quiet on the waves your TV uses to let you hear it.

I hope this helps and didn't just muddy it up for you. lol

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
This is audio catching up with visual in the world of HD and digital. It could be a number of reasons your TV does that.

First off, if your TV is more than 5yrs old, you may need a new one. (yes, TV's built in the last 10 years were built to fail, anticipating the recording upgrades. I think they are better now.) Because:

Digital is instant. Both audio and visual are recorded that way. Light is faster than sound, regardless. On the channels you do have sound, do the lips ALWAYS match with the words? It might be slight but, I bet they don't. (I notice on some shows at my house on a 7yr old TV)
Also, there are recording laws as to what level of "noise" you can record at. (there are no such laws for commercials, that's why they are so much louder than the show your watching. (on the channels you can't hear the show, you can hear the commercials, right?)) Because digital is "cleaner" from the git go, the levels at which it can be recorded are lower.

Your TV may not recognize the new recording/broadcast formats. Some, it seems but, not all. And the ones it does recognize, might not happen right away. Turning it off and on might help the lagging in recognition but, it will not fix it. In a nut shell, the broadcast may be too quiet on the waves your TV uses to let you hear it.

I hope this helps and didn't just muddy it up for you. lol
um lmao no you didn't muddy things up my flat screen in my bedroom is beautiful sound and picture. my living room tv is um 15 years old I think it's a Phillips magnavox and for the most part is also a nice set which is why ibhave been reluctant to purchase a flat screen for the living room that and shelling out 500 or more to replace a working tv seems silly to me..guess im going to have to at some point

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
um lmao no you didn't muddy things up my flat screen in my bedroom is beautiful sound and picture. my living room tv is um 15 years old I think it's a Phillips magnavox and for the most part is also a nice set which is why ibhave been reluctant to purchase a flat screen for the living room that and shelling out 500 or more to replace a working tv seems silly to me..guess im going to have to at some point
I truly have no business being in here. No, truly. I am at a loss when it comes to technical things and even worse trying to explain them.

But, i wanted to mention something that makes no sense to me, just so you will know this for whatever reason.

I bought a brand new flat-screen for the bedroom last year. It's beautiful and big and i loved it. However, the sound on it sucked. I had it turned up as loud as possible and i could still barely hear it. My son, who is a technically knowing person of course due to his age, tried to buy me additional speakers but my TV needed something it didn't have, yada yada. I could get those speakers but they were really expensive....so i didn't. He monkeyed around with the sound settings, called the manufacturer and nothing worked.

Ok, trying to get to my point here. I switched cable companies from ATT to Comcast. Guess what??? Now i have HUGE sound. Isn't that strange? Peeps say that can't be why i now have sound, but i'm telling you...it is. I used to keep my sound setting on 10, as high as it would go and i still could barely hear it, now it's on a 4 and it's blaring.

Just wanted to throw that out there. It's weird but it is true.

Good luck to you!!!!

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
I truly have no business being in here. No, truly. I am at a loss when it comes to technical things and even worse trying to explain them.

But, i wanted to mention something that makes no sense to me, just so you will know this for whatever reason.

I bought a brand new flat-screen for the bedroom last year. It's beautiful and big and i loved it. However, the sound on it sucked. I had it turned up as loud as possible and i could still barely hear it. My son, who is a technically knowing person of course due to his age, tried to buy me additional speakers but my TV needed something it didn't have, yada yada. I could get those speakers but they were really expensive....so i didn't. He monkeyed around with the sound settings, called the manufacturer and nothing worked.

Ok, trying to get to my point here. I switched cable companies from ATT to Comcast. Guess what??? Now i have HUGE sound. Isn't that strange? Peeps say that can't be why i now have sound, but i'm telling you...it is. I used to keep my sound setting on 10, as high as it would go and i still could barely hear it, now it's on a 4 and it's blaring.

Just wanted to throw that out there. It's weird but it is true.

Good luck to you!!!!

That IS why you have better sound. That's part of the recording/broadcasting levels I was blathering about. Could even be an area/signal thing. Your equipment pairs better with comcast's equipment and broadcast.

gaea, I get what you're saying about replacing the TV. Mine works great too, I don't want to buy another one.

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote