Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #341
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

It is always good to keep an open mind about anything IMO.

It is always a good thing to evaluate and try and be logical before coming to advanced conclusions.

I pray before this bill is made into a law it is thought through entirely from all aspects and for ALL people to be considered.

I appreciate all sides, learning is a beautiful thing.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #342
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Yes, the nice people of Arizona thought it a good idea and better than nothing to pass a law that would use racial profiling to get rid of undocumented immigrants. A deterrent. To them, it was a good law.

The death penalty, another deterrent, has been proven to be ineffective.

The 1996 immigration and terrorist law was supposed to deter terrorism. Then we had 9/11.

What these laws have done is tear families apart and executed hundreds of innocent people.

Patriot Act, that seemed like a good idea too.

I could go on and on.
Yes- take a look at these and think! I would add the Enemy Alien Acts during WWII. Corkey has a good point about "knee-jerk" legislation. I know cases like this one (and how about Jaycee Dugard's- her abuser should never have neen out on parole in the first place) are just damn hard to deal with. We all want justice- or for kids to be safe in a world in which so many are not. it hurts- but the problems behind why these things go on need very different kinds of solutions- ones that the US has never actually fully funded in any of our institutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
By and large, I agree.

I just wish people would stop and think for a minute what it could mean to THEM to be a parent wrongly accused. Parents have brought their children to emergency rooms only to be reported and arrested for abuse and neglect because a doctor or nurse misinterpreted/misdiagnosed. I'm no fan of our criminal justice system or of juries, given that they tend to be as racist and sexist as the society they reflect, BUT I wouldn't want to be tried in the court of public opinion either.

Heart
Me either! And I don't think many people realize just how many parents are wrongly accused due to exactly the variables you bring up. I want the truely guilty stand trial and found guilty and serve time. But I also want a fair and unbiased criminal justice system along with fully funded and effective social services and programs that could prevent so many of these crimes in the first place. With the sociopath or psychopath, there is a difference they need to be kept away from society, perod. And our parole systems fail us terribly with these criminals.

Thinking of how important things like schools for pregnant teens and mothers with parenting classes are so impportant. And day care at community colleges with parenting classes for credit. Just some things running through my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I have no problem with a well thought out Constitutionally agreeable law that would protect kids from their parents. I sure don't want one that is a knee jerk reaction to a horrifying emotional crime/accident. Laws that effect the parent who by accident in an hour looses track of their kid could potentially go to jail for 15 years. Bit harsh don't you think?
Exactly! Sometimes these laws that spring from these situations are idiotic. Well thought out is what I vote for, too!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #343
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
From what I have read, the sixteen states that has so far considered this law has been amending and appending to consider certain circumstances and scenarios. They are considering the fact that there could be circumstances that would delay or prevent someone from reporting a child missing .... and I agree with that. It would be hopeful that the law would know the considerable difference between a mother that has sincerely lost track of her child and someone who may be involved in foul play. (But we all know how "hope" plays in the matter....)
Interesting... your reference to mothers... Although fathers and father-figures are ten times more likely to neglect, abuse, or kill a child in their care, all this national outrage and rush to pass bills comes on the heels of a mother's crime....

Last edited by Heart; 07-11-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #344
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Interesting... your reference to mothers... Although fathers and father-figures are ten times more likely to neglect, abuse, or kill a child in their care, all this national outrage and rush to pass bills comes on the heels of a mother's crime....

I think that this ( the red highlighted part) is precisely why there is such a sense of moral outrage when crimes are ( allegedly) perpetrated by mothers. It is such a shock that it quakes our very being. We ( as a global community) have gotten "used to" for lack of a better or more politically correct phrase, Men abusing, wounding, killing. We are still aghast when we hear of women serial killers or baby killers ( even in the light of postpartum depression findings).

I hate the thought of innocent people being charged for crimes that may have been beyond their control. I also hate the loopholes that allow the guilty to walk away from personal guilt on whatever level they created a scenario of endangerment to a child.

This case is but one. One that happened to get national attention. I have no doubt that on this planet full of people similar offenses happen daily.

The petition mentioned here, again, is but a stepping off point. I for one, have written my legislators to ask that more considerations be made before a law of this nature be passed, for the protection of innocent parents/ guardians. I do not disagree, however, with the notion of a reasonable amount of time for notification of a missing or possibly endangered child and a law being passed that addresses that. I do not disagree with a law that states a reasonable amount of time to notify authorities in the case of discovering a child has died or is in immediate physical distress.

I do not know what a reasonable amount of time is, so I leave that part of lawmaking to the experts. Experts like the one from the Huff Post article, who is writing a book about the Casey/ Caylee case, whom will profit from this case, and might be able to help determine exactly what a reasonable amount of time would be for a parent to notify authorities in the case of discovering a child dead or missing. I do find it interesting when the experts ( who are writing a book about the subject) put forth the notion that the science isn't that exact, yet do not give an estimate of what "might" be reasonable. Guess we have to buy the book to find out.

Meting out justice is as much an art as a science. Our laws will evolve as our ability to harm one another does. Our laws will continue to be written by the people we place in office. Their ability to write and enforce laws will always rely upon our compliance ( through approval or inaction) or will be influenced by our constant and consistent voice for justice.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #345
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I stand corrected for not using the words parent, guardian and/or custodian. Perhaps the present (Casey Anthony) situation remained in my mindset.

Diane Down, Andrea Yates, Susan Smith, China Arnold, Michelle Kehoe.
Men who murder their children or families, interestingly and sadly enough, are not that "infamous". Media does seem to highlight mothers guilty of this crime.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #346
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

I caught the end of it on CNN news via the web.
Not knowing any of the facts but by the small bit I have seen I reckon she did it ..

It hasn't been reported in the uk at all .. But it does seem it has all been played out by the media.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #347
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

This is what I mean
Not having all the facts and watching the pundants talk and making a judgement on that. You don't have the facts and she was found not guilty.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: