Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #1661
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I'm out of books I want to read and was going through what I had here that I didn't read, so I've picked this book up 4 times over the last year to read and always put it away when I get a book I really want to read...with that said, I'm reading Wicked Lies by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush. I think I'm finally getting past what I consider boring parts.

I really need to go to Amazon and find some whodunits I haven't read yet, used and cheaply priced, so I can grab a few of them.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #1662
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
-recommended by my eldest
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #1663
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I came across an article from my reading list of materials this morning by Dr. E. Alexander, III (who is a highly skilled neurosurgeon) called:

Proof of Heaven

Companion link to article (HERE)

And in light of reading the article above, I think I have found a compelling reason to work on End-of-Life as a core focus during my doctoral studies because of several observations found within his own narrative experience. Quoting a phrase from the article:
"But these invitations, he acknowledged, do not mean that his theory is gaining ground among doctors. In private conversations, he said, very few of his colleagues offered counterarguments. Some agreed with his conclusion that science could not explain what he saw, but none of them were willing to be named in his book," -- Dr. E. Alexander, III (Leslie Kaufman, The New York Times, Nov. 25th, 2012).
I understand exactly where Dr. Alexander (III) is coming from because I have experienced facets of my own death events to a particular degree. My feeling is that unless a person survives a near death experience, it would seem especially difficult for the person who has not experienced death (in order to be able to wrap their mind around items of interest mentioned in the interview), so there's a proviso of useful counter-arguments for further exploration.

Dr. Alexander is a featured guest on Oprah Winfrey's program which airs this coming Sunday night (Super Soul Sunday). I think Dr. Alexander was onto something when his first initial idea was to name his book, An N of One. I'm going to read his book the first chance I have next week; so I can craft my doctoral statement and future study proposal based on findings I read in his book, as well as including an extensive reference list I already have on-hand pertaining to events of death and End-of-Life care.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #1664
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore~ Robin Sloan
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #1665
falloutmk

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze, Zir, or She, her, ect if needed.
Relationship Status:
Single, Poly, and happy.

falloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoc View Post
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
-recommended by my eldest
My girlfriend read that book and highly recommends it. Tell me what you think of it!
falloutmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #1666
falloutmk

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze, Zir, or She, her, ect if needed.
Relationship Status:
Single, Poly, and happy.

falloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading Sirens Song: My Marriage to a Borderline. It's a memoir from a medical students perspective of how luring a relationship to someone with Borderline Personality Disorder can be. As weird as it sounds I have been researching BPD since I discovered the ex who I had the longest relationship with had it... This is my 5th book on Borderline Personaility Disorder in 3 months.
falloutmk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falloutmk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #1667
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Not reading anything at the moment. I just saw this on my FB feed and thought it apropos.

I hate the original song but this parody mad me smile.

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #1668
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Caroline (anonymous author)

Caroline is the story of an extraordinary woman--beautiful, strong and mischievous. Putting her looks and wit to good use, the young Caroline seduces her friend Harry and his sister Adelaide. Once married to Harry, and living comfortably with him and Adelaide, Caroline enlarges and enlivens their menage by creating an "academy" for young -- and not so young -- women requiring in initiation into the rites of love.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1669
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington

Fiction ~Set in Seattle, it's a story about some of the women working at Boeing durning the war.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #1670
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Slices of Life~ Georgia Beers

I loved loved loved this book
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #1671
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool

jus' started "quail fried rice". not sho' if it's gon' be all dat jus' yet...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #1672
TimilDeeps

How Do You Identify?:
queer fucker
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mine
Relationship Status:
I'm dating myself. It's really working out. I think I'm the one!!!

Thanked 1,471 Times in 445 Posts
TimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST Reputation

National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders
TimilDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimilDeeps For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #1673
stonebutchinpa

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Whatever
Relationship Status:
Single

stonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently reading "Butch is a Noun". Very interesting read so far
stonebutchinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stonebutchinpa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #1674
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I just finished all 3 of the books I had going and am going to start on the first Game of Thrones book.

Will probably start on a biography of Albert Einstein as well.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #1675
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Vlad The Impaler: The Man Who Was Dracula
By Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #1676
Daktari

Still reading Kurt Vonnegut
Still dipping in and out of a whole slew of books.
Just started reading the new fellowship book 'Living Clean'.
Just started reading Recovery is a Bitch...not as relevant to my own situation as I hoped but interesting and hilarious.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #1677
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I read a voluminous amount of materials each day... but when I read a book, I try to pick something that is new to me, most every time I go to the library or have money on hand to buy a book.

The latest books I have on hand now are authored by Chaim Potok (The Chosen and My Name Is Asher Lev), two of which I have read before. But I happened to come across a book while browsing in the non-fiction section, authored by Caroline Moorehead: A Train In Winter (2011). I have yet break into the larger part of the story, except I have read the introduction and other snippets on the book's cover. But what I have learned so far is that Moorehead authored Russell Bertrand's biography (who I believe to be a very smart man, I have enjoyed all works written by Bertrand) and that the contents of the book is "drawn upon interviews of women and their families; from German, French and Polish archives; and documents held by WW2 resistance organizations" so that the voice of the women, who were sent off to Auschwitz in 1943 (some were rescued, most of them didn't make it out alive), could have a place, a voice, among many who share memories of that era in time (pp. iiii - 11).

I'm really looking forward to reading A Train in Winter because it seems to naturally follow the story of Erik Larson's non-fiction account, during the same time period, within his book called In The Garden of the Beasts.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #1678
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Always a few things going.
  • The Awakening, for book club.
  • Stone Butch Blues, which I have read several times in the past but now am reading alongside with my main squeeze.
  • A textbook on the history and development of the Constitution, for a mini-course I'm doing with my daughter.
  • A biography on Mary Todd Lincoln.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #1679
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I read a voluminous amount of materials each day... but when I read a book, I try to pick something that is new to me, most every time I go to the library or have money on hand to buy a book.

The latest books I have on hand now are authored by Chaim Potok (The Chosen and My Name Is Asher Lev), two of which I have read before. But I happened to come across a book while browsing in the non-fiction section, authored by Caroline Moorehead: A Train In Winter (2011). I have yet break into the larger part of the story, except I have read the introduction and other snippets on the book's cover. But what I have learned so far is that Moorehead authored Russell Bertrand's biography (who I believe to be a very smart man, I have enjoyed all works written by Bertrand) and that the contents of the book is "drawn upon interviews of women and their families; from German, French and Polish archives; and documents held by WW2 resistance organizations" so that the voice of the women, who were sent off to Auschwitz in 1943 (some were rescued, most of them didn't make it out alive), could have a place, a voice, among many who share memories of that era in time (pp. iiii - 11).

I'm really looking forward to reading A Train in Winter because it seems to naturally follow the story of Erik Larson's non-fiction account, during the same time period, within his book called In The Garden of the Beasts.

I love Russell Bertrand..thank you, Katzchen, for posting this.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #1680
Daktari

Is Russell Bertrand the same dude as the Brit, Bertrand Russell. The philosopher and Nobel lit. winner?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading