Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you determine ID (Butch or Femme) based on looks?
Yes, all the time for femmes 0 0%
Yes, all the time for butches 9 8.57%
Yes, for both 14 13.33%
Yes but only sometimes 23 21.90%
Yes, but only when I see a person on the street. Not online 18 17.14%
Yes but try not to 31 29.52%
Never! 7 6.67%
Other (please elaborate below) 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I would say that my gaydar and queerdar, in general, is pretty spot on from a range of masculine to even only somewhat androgynous females. And solid when it comes to gay men too.

I never make assumptions that a person is butch, however. I have seen/met many a masculine female who was gay, but not butch. That's internal, to me.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

I've had a few "Misses", but they're very Rare...
For the most part, I keep the curiosity under an airtight Lid...
I think I learned to do this after I first came to the States..
My g/f's sister set off both gaydar & my curiosity on "Butch" based on how she dressed, carried herself, mannerisms in general..
At the time, I merely followed the stereotype of Butch when watching her..
I would ask my girl and she'd shrug sayin "she's always been that way"
Unfortunately[for my gaydar], she was happily married, and had a kid.
She was a self-proclaimed and true-blue proud redneck....

Nowadays, I try my best not to prematurely jump into conclusions based on appearances, since i've already had folks do the same towards me...

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

It's really hard to tell for me. I think original assumptions are something most people can't help but make but wow can they be wrong. Since I'm femme, I'm assumed straight but wow is that wrong. So, it certainly can be the same for butch women or women that are gay and not butch but may dress that way.

Geeze, so many labels, so many assumptions and so many many mistakes when we assume.

princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Sara

How Do You Identify?:
femmmme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
party of one

Sara is on a distinguished road

I agree with Scootebaby--it's all about eye contact. I don't know how well I can spot a femme (not exactly a priority!), but I'm pretty good at spotting a butch. Regardless of attire or mannerisms, if we lock eyes for more than a couple of seconds and I get that funny feeling in my tummy and they have that knowing little grin, I can say pretty definitively--yes!!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think I have any kind of radar for femmes. If someone is edgy or more self-assured, I do decide that she's probably not straight. I usually don't have a chance to verify, so I don't know how often I'm wrong. That's probably more about my desire to be seen as edgy and self-assured. I do know that I don't have a tendency to associate any particular brand of femininity with femmes. I haven't been influenced by the high-low strata that seems to be part of things for many others. I just don't really know that many self-described femmes. Or butches, for that matter.

I guess I must have an automatic reaction to outer characteristics that I associate with butch, but I've been really wrong in so many embarrassing ways. From labeling (in my head) someone as a butch, and finding out that she's straight, to seeing a cute butch in my peripheral vision, but discovering that "she" is actually an adolescent boy.

I do find, at the few local lesbian events that I attend, that the women I think are butches or femmes typically do not identify as either. The thing is, I'm attracted to women, in general, so gaydar trumps my ability to discern butch or femme.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #26
BornBronson
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently banned 7/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
Straight Butch Woman
Relationship Status:
Nice Tie

BornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Never

Never judge a book by its cover..my mama taught me that.

BornBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornBronson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #27
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..in the queer deffinition of the queer meaning of the queer word...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

tuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=Lynn;111013]From labeling (in my head) someone as a butch, and finding out that she's straight, to seeing a cute butch in my peripheral vision, but discovering that "she" is actually an adolescent boy.

Damn it!! I resemble that remark!!

My opinion is the whole 'gaydar' thing just isn't reliable.I have been slapped a few time to prove it to me.As i got older and went into the city for weekend fun and got aquainted with the gay community in general I found that it's extremely difficult to pin any female into any kind of catorgory seeing as many don't seem to identify themselves as butch or femme.And in some cases when they did it was quite the opposite of what I was thinking.So yes I have thought to place the dyke or femme label a few times and found i was very off-base in my conclusions.

Now as for me I don't even know what label I would put on myself if any for the simple reason there seems to be too many damn labels to choose from and I'm indecisive.I just stick with 'boi' because that old guy at the station where I get my smokes seems soooooooo determined that one day I will appear and majickaly be the 15yr old boy he believes I am.

*chuckles* Good thread though...TY
"Today we would pass through the scenes of our youth like travelers. We are burnt up by hard facts; like tradesmen we understand distinctions, and like butchers, necessities. We are no longer untroubled - we are indifferent. We might exist there; but, should we really live there?"

~Erich Maria Remarque "All Quiet on the Western Front"

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4605968_n.jpg

Last edited by tuffboi29; 05-21-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: i just can't freakin spell..I admit it
tuffboi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuffboi29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #28
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornBronson View Post
Never judge a book by its cover..my mama taught me that.

Good advice from your mama. There is judging, though, and there is that kind of visceral response which isn't really a thought process; it's more of a feeling. When thinking becomes involved, though, it gets a lot less messy!
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #29
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I try not to judge other people (thanks BB). For me it is gaydar, talking, eye contact, outfits, jewelry, makeup, and implied sayings during conversations. I also note that if I am smoking a cigar and wearing a tie, it means something different than when a queer femme smokes a cigar. It is so different.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #30
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation
Default How do I know if someone is butch or femme?

Well I can't say I know what butch tastes like...
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #31
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a 2x4, so for me in real time if a lady is femme she'd have to hit me over the head, for me to go "oh now there's a femme".

Not so in the butch department LOL
I find myself judging masculine looking females as "must be butch all the time" I guess because I see a reflection of myself, but for me I wonder if they are butch or TG.

I was talking to a friend the other day and there was someone she thought was butch, and said person had invited her to a rodeo, not like together just like why don't ya come over to the rodeo. When said femme got to the rodeo she found out that the person she thought was butch was in fact not.

I stopped to get gas yesterday and this person with 1/64th inch haircut and those baggie shorts that come to ya shins that 3 people can fit in, with a cap turned around backward, yeah I assumed she was butch, but ya never know.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #32
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I'm a 2x4, so for me in real time if a lady is femme she'd have to hit me over the head, for me to go "oh now there's a femme".

Not so in the butch department LOL
I find myself judging masculine looking females as "must be butch all the time" I guess because I see a reflection of myself, but for me I wonder if they are butch or TG.

I was talking to a friend the other day and there was someone she thought was butch, and said person had invited her to a rodeo, not like together just like why don't ya come over to the rodeo. When said femme got to the rodeo she found out that the person she thought was butch was in fact not.

I stopped to get gas yesterday and this person with 1/64th inch haircut and those baggie shorts that come to ya shins that 3 people can fit in, with a cap turned around backward, yeah I assumed she was butch, but ya never know.
Oh I’m the opposite. It’s very rare that I assume “Butch” by sight, it usually takes conversation- and quite a bit before I make any connection. Where as “femme”, I seem to instantly recognize anywhere- alone, with children, and even a couple of times when they have been with men. On those occasions I assume- he is her brother, friend- or she just hasn’t worked it out yet. But general gaydar- no, I don’t have it- a lesbian or gay guy, closeted or flaming, I’m always the last one to know.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #33
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

The way people look and act can be a hint. This is not certain but sometimes it helps. What does it matter whether they are butch or femme or (insert identity) people are people.

The only true way is to ask them.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #34
GoofyLuvr

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Well golly gee whiz, I bet she would do it!
Relationship Status:
completely, totally, head over heels in love :)

GoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST Reputation

Let's just say I've learned the hard way not to assume anything! LOL
GoofyLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #35
Curley

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you lol

Curley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST Reputation

It's been said in here it often depends where on lives and their community I live and worked in a very gay environment my gaydar is usually spot on but on the flip side when I'm in a different city My gaydar is often way off ie assuming everyone is gay.....lol.[
Curley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Curley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #36
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

I am real bad at this. I have no gaydar. However, I can always seem to identify a bisexual woman.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #37
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
(e.g., clothing, demeanor, visiting gay sites)
They way they present.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote