Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default From joemygod

Obama Mandates Hospital Visitation Rights For LGBT Couples

President Obama tonight ordered the Department of Health & Human Services to prohibit hospitals from discriminating against LGBT couples when it comes to visitations rights.
Administration officials and gay activists, who have been quietly working together on the issue, said the new rule will affect any hospital that receives Medicare or Medicaid funding, a move that covers the vast majority of the nation's health-care institutions. It is currently common policy in many hospitals that only those related by blood or marriage be allowed to visit patients. "Discrimination touches every facet of the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, including at times of crisis and illness, when we need our loved ones with us more than ever," Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in praising the decision. Obama's actions are the latest attempt by his administration to advance the agenda of a constituency that strongly supported his presidential campaign.
It's not yet clear how gay couples will establish the validity of their relationships to hospitals, as most do not yet have one that is legally recognized. A side effect to this otherwise very welcome move by the president is that it removes one of the most compelling arguments for marriage equality.
UPDATE: Here's the wording from the first section of the order. "Legally valid advance directives" will be required, apparently.

Initiate appropriate rulemaking, pursuant to your authority under 42 U.S.C. 1395x and other relevant provisions of law, to ensure that hospitals that participate in Medicare or Medicaid respect the rights of patients to designate visitors. It should be made clear that designated visitors, including individuals designated by legally valid advance directives (such as durable powers of attorney and health care proxies), should enjoy visitation privileges that are no more restrictive than those that immediate family members enjoy. You should also provide that participating hospitals may not deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. The rulemaking should take into account the need for hospitals to restrict visitation in medically appropriate circumstances as well as the clinical decisions that medical professionals make about a patient's care or treatment
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #22
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Another memo.... requesting more fact-finding... to be followed up at an unspecified later date...
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #23
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BGb--BfUgg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- President Obama Orders Same-Sex Hospital Visits[/nomedia]
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #24
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
A side effect to this otherwise very welcome move by the president is that it removes one of the most compelling arguments for marriage equality.
I would counter that argument with the argument that it still requires non-married partners to 1) pay for a legal document and 2) have that document in their possession at all times. There is financial cost and an extra burden, neither of which are required for legally married persons (unless hospitals are asking to see folks' marriage licenses before letting them visit).
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
I would counter that argument with the argument that it still requires non-married partners to 1) pay for a legal document and 2) have that document in their possession at all times. There is financial cost and an extra burden, neither of which are required for legally married persons (unless hospitals are asking to see folks' marriage licenses before letting them visit).
Absolutely agree. Sure would be easier if we could just get married.

I am not exactly sure how private businesses can be mandated when we are told that marriage would have to vary from state to state. Not sure if that made sense, but what I am trying to understand is how the government can make rules affecting private business when they supposedly can't even make a federal mandate for gay marriage.

I made mention on another thread that Obama should make a human rights amendment. I guess I should have worded it better to say that I wish he would PUSH for one. He certainly does have the right to submit legislature and use his presidential powers to "strongly encourage" passage of bills, legalese, etc. I may have liked it better when he was still going to his old church. The strongly opinionated pastor may have been an asshat, but that church supports gay marriage. It is my understanding that at some point after his election Mr. Obama made the statement that his religious beliefs do not allow for gay marriage. I know before election he seemed to be very pro- gay equal rights.

I fear like others, this being just another reason we "don't need gay marriage".
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I am not exactly sure how private businesses can be mandated when we are told that marriage would have to vary from state to state. Not sure if that made sense, but what I am trying to understand is how the government can make rules affecting private business when they supposedly can't even make a federal mandate for gay marriage.
The government isn't telling them how to run their business. They're telling them that if they want Medicare/Medicade money, these are the rules. It's kinda like when the feds told states that if they wanted federal money for their highways then they had to lower the speed limit. The states didn't have to lower the limit if they didn't want the money.

I think it's a neat way to handle the problem.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #27
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Abolish DADT and DOMA and I'll call it a steak.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #28
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Despite the loonies, the conservatives and Repubs are offering little objection to this policy and it enjoys broad public support - as it should. But what that means is that Obama is taking the least controversial path when it comes to the rights of lgbtq people. I think this move actually signals his ongoing lack of support for same-sex marriage.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #29
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I think it enjoys such broad public support because it doesn't just apply to us, but to all patients. It clearly says that "patients" will have the right to designate visitors, whether those visitors are blood relatives or not--and believe me, straight people in long-term unmarried relationships can have the same problems we have (being kept away from their partners in the hospital) if the partners' families object. I've known some straight people who were pretty badly traumatized by that.

What the long-term ramifications of this legal action will be for our community, I don't know. I do think it establishes a legal precedent both for patients' rights and for all patients being equal. Here's hoping it sets a precedent for all people being equal in other legal ways as well!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #30
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why only marriage will protect us...

Cross posting this on same sex marriage updates.... I think it is very important for us to realize that until we really are treated "equally", this sort of thing can and will continue to happen.

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/sono...couple_and.php
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #31
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
While I agree with you as a person who reads and pays attention to what is actually said in the article, there will be MANY people who either "hear" about it, or read through it quickly and believe that we have been granted some broad set of new rights. One of our (my) arguments for same-sex marriage (Hospital/medical decision making) then becomes moot in their minds, thus beginning an education process that we should not have had to do again.

In his (Obamas) efforts to throw us a bone, I believe he has harmed us immeasurably. That is however just my personal take on the situation. I thought it reprehensible that CNN had a Poll this weekend asking if President Obama did the right thing. CNN....asking if people think minorities should have rights. Sigh.... We have such a long way to go...
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post: