Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you determine ID (Butch or Femme) based on looks?
Yes, all the time for femmes 0 0%
Yes, all the time for butches 9 8.57%
Yes, for both 14 13.33%
Yes but only sometimes 23 21.90%
Yes, but only when I see a person on the street. Not online 18 17.14%
Yes but try not to 31 29.52%
Never! 7 6.67%
Other (please elaborate below) 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default How do you know someone is..

femme or butch? And be honest about this. How often do you look at someone and "Oh ya! They are.. <insert gender ID here>"? I have to admit it that I've done it. Recently, in a class I taught, I got the distinct feeling that one of the few female students I had was a butch (e.g., clothing, demeanor, visiting gay sites) but I never asked her to find out (not appropriate for the class).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

When i'm out in public, i look for butches, and do make assumptions based on looks, clothing, demeanor, etc
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I live in central New York...and the majority of the straight women in my age group look butch...

And I, even at the only gay coffee house in town, evidently look straight....or am invisible....I can't decide which....

I'm just thankful I found Scoote....cuz now it doesn't matter
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Are we talking about basic gaydar? Or something deeper?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes my gaydar goes off and sometimes it don't.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Are we talking about basic gaydar? Or something deeper?
Basic gaydar.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Basic gaydar.
Maybe I *do* have some kind of subconscious internal process when my gaydar is going off. I don't think outloud butch or femme, but you might be onto something here.

I need to think about it.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes I have, when I have approached with that assumption I was corrected.

I do say oh look QUEER!!

Have yet to be wrong, except for once when the husband came up behind the woman who I thought was queer I was like Damn I was off

Great thread Linus!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

my gaydar seems to only bear any accuracy when spotting gay men. I used to find dates for some of my gay men friends ... sigh.
So, my gaydar re femmes or butches, sucks ... most of the time.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Now, the reason for this question/thread/poll isn't a matter of testing one's basic gaydar but a question of how much we let that basic gaydar cloud our thought process about others and "how butch/femme" they are.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Now, the reason for this question/thread/poll isn't a matter of testing one's basic gaydar but a question of how much we let that basic gaydar cloud our thought process about others and "how butch/femme" they are.
Here is the thing Linus, my gaydar doesn't just look for b/f make sense? If I spot queers I get giddy, cause yanno it's like hey there is more of me!! I don't automatically *assign* butch or femme since well they could be dyke, queer, gay or simple Cindy and Sharon.

Make sense?
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Here is the thing Linus, my gaydar doesn't just look for b/f make sense? If I spot queers I get giddy, cause yanno it's like hey there is more of me!! I don't automatically *assign* butch or femme since well they could be dyke, queer, gay or simple Cindy and Sharon.

Make sense?
Oh ya, totally. I do look for others as well (particularly transsexed individuals -- to borrow Dylan's term).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hmmm, if I get what you're saying, yeah... on a quick glance of someone's appearance may set off my butch gaydar.

I think over time though, and experiences etc. I haven't found it to be all that reliable so also no, I don't really let how short their hair is or Brahma work boots lead me to make assumptions about "how" anything but just that, their appearance.

I've found some folks can have a bunch of outer "butch markers" and after getting to know them, or learn how they identify that's all the further it ends up going.

Vice versa too, some people who've had much less butch markers have turned out to be some pretty damn hardcore butches.

I'll cop in that in the past, I have partially judged "how butch" by appearance (I didn't do that as much with femmes... but lived life and experiences of being totally wrong often enough has really changed that.

Femmes, are as we now harder to initially spot, but I haven't found any real different observations to what I've said about butches.

That said, today I also look less at "how butch" anyone is... and really see it more as different types of butches.

Metro
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus, who likes a nice cigar
Basic gaydar.
Ah, I thought you meant based on looks alone.

For me, gaydar goes beyond superficial appearance.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

my gaydar quit working yrs ago...not that it ever really worked tho

being from Ky i learned NOT to judge by looks....in small town Ky a lot of the women look butch...so instead try to make eye contact...and this is ONLY my opinion and MY experience...if i try to make eye contact with someone i suspect may be butch and they try NOT to make eye contact i assume butch...with the femme women IF they make eye contact then i assume gay....dunno why but over time it seems to be a proven technique--for me anyway! *shrugs*
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I usually am not paying attention, but if I am I try not to make assumptions, though sometimes I do.

Years ago I was driving through Atlanta and saw two women walking down the street. I assumed were Lesbians and said so, my sister gave me all kinds of crap for assuming...but I have never met any straight women who would wear black leather chaps and harnesses and have flat tops out and about at 10am on a Sunday MORNING.

It had to be left over from Saturday night. Right?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Like Jo said...here you can't assume anything at all based on appearance. EVEN if they are wearing pride necklaces, earrings, bracelets, underwear and/or hair bows.

Many women look androgynous here. It's a liberal place where everyone wants to "support" a right for everyone to do anything. It is the cool thing to do here.. bein' all kinds of prideful just in support. And earthy, we all must strive for earthy-ness.

So I don't see butch and femme when I look at gay people in a room. Here everyone looks so similar that you go by what people say regardless of how they look. <--for everyone but me of course. Fuckers.

Now do I make OTHER assumptions based on how they look regardless of gay straight or pookie snake? If I am looking at someone say in a club, I am not thinking about their ID, just whether I'd hit it which may lead to HOW, and of course in my fantasies everyone is thrilled with my choices....
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

OOHHHH I love playing 'spot the not'. I have good gaydar for men... I did not know that until I found out my husband (well ex by that time) was gay <go figure>... so I guess I honed it somehow as a young woman.

I have a hard time sensing femme energy for whatever reason. But I have a good sense for some women. I, however, seem totally invisible... but hey then I get to play 'stealth lesbian'... which I quite enjoy

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i never trust my gaydar. It's often right, but i don't trust it. i just wait to find out. If a woman sits down next to another woman and they start making out, well then i might assume they're gay. Until then, nope. i have been wrong SO MANY times.

Six or so months ago i as in a 12-step meeting. It was a regular meeting, not lgbtq. Anyway, it turned out everyone there but one person was gay. But there were two women there -- one who i would have sworn was a dyke, the other who i would have sworn was not. Guess what, the dykey looking one is straight, and the straight looking one is a dyke. Gotta love Berkeley.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I used to think I knew, much more-so than now. It was clearer when I lived in a city. But then again it sometimes varied according to the neighbourhood. Now that I live in a rural area I'm not so sure anymore. Many women I would have thought to be butch if I were in the city aren't at all. And married / not married, children / no children - I don't think it's got much to do with it. So many people aren't out to themselves yet. I don't assume for the most part one way or the other. But sometimes my gaydar just says "yup! No doubt at all!" - and it doesn't matter how the person identifies.

Yup! Clear as mud!

ETA: I think it can be clearer when there is a GLBTQ community to identify with. Maybe that's why it's easier in some ways in a larger centre?