Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Epigenetics is a fascinating field of study in evolution.

As to the phenomemon of queerness, they are postulating that:

~ sex-specific epi-marks passed from father to daughter or mother to son could cause homosexuality

~genes hold the instructions, epi-marks direct how those instructions are carried out – when, where and how much a gene is expressed during development. Epi-marks are usually produced anew each generation, but recent evidence demonstrates that they sometimes carry over between generations

~this usually happens in response to spikes in testosterone — sex-specific epi-marks formed in early fetal development activate to protect the fetus from the testosterone surge. Otherwise, the high testosterone could cause female fetuses to ‘masculinze’ or vice versa for male fetuses.

~different epi-marks protect different sex traits from being masculinized or feminized, some affect the genitals, others affect sexual identity and others affect sexual preference. But when epi-marks are transmitted from fathers to daughters or mothers to sons, they may cause reversed effects, such as the feminization of some traits in sons, such as sexual preference, and similarly a partial masculinization of daughters.

~the transmission of sex-specific epi-marks between generations is the most plausible evolutionary mechanism of the phenomenon of human homosexuality

Theories are only as good as the thoughts behind them, and how those thoughts influence conclusions.

Seems to me, the thought behind this science is deeply rooted in stereotypical assumptions about queers i.e. gay females are masculinized and gay males are feminized.

The science could also be said to be steeped in the patriarchy. It is all testosterone based. Lord knows we have all been taught and socialized to believe ALL revolves around testosterone. Now, they are just looking for the bio-genetic proof.

On the other hand, as a feminist, it was also intriguing to see a defective testosterone process being targeted as the causal factor in this process

However, I am sure it is just a matter of time before it will all link back to Adam, Eve, and that freakin apple.

when i listened to the news story, that (in red) is what stood out to me also. complete lack of explanation for those of us who, depending on identity, show no signs of being more or less masculinized or feminized. i'm getting really tired of the stereotyping.

and it's not Adam and Eve and the apple i'm worried about. it's the extremists who will now start looking for the gene they want to weed out in order to have straight kids. i've already heard one "see, homosexuality is a birth defect" story that resulted from this research. next thing you know, fundamentalists everywhere will start swamping abortion clinics when they find out their baby carries the "gay gene".

wait. fundamentalists. abortion clinics?
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #2802
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
when i listened to the news story, that (in red) is what stood out to me also. complete lack of explanation for those of us who, depending on identity, show no signs of being more or less masculinized or feminized. i'm getting really tired of the stereotyping.

and it's not Adam and Eve and the apple i'm worried about. it's the extremists who will now start looking for the gene they want to weed out in order to have straight kids. i've already heard one "see, homosexuality is a birth defect" story that resulted from this research. next thing you know, fundamentalists everywhere will start swamping abortion clinics when they find out their baby carries the "gay gene".

wait. fundamentalists. abortion clinics?

I hear you. The problem gets to be, as usual, people dont understand the "science". But, they use their misunderstanding to support a position.

From my understanding, this is a theory not a proven fact. And it is not a gene per se but the epi marker that determines how a gene is expressed. And they are postulating that the epi marker when over exposed or underexposed to testosterone may influence sexual orientation. Thats a boatload of maybes.

Even the scientists say "it is the most plausible explanation". Thats not fact, but scientific conjecture.

Do fundamentalists believe in abortion?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2803
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Butch who desires femme company.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Thanked 3,359 Times in 626 Posts
Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation
Default Another shooting...

http://www.courant.com/news/breaking...,3969911.story

Please respond with updates when you have them. Thank you.
Happy_Go_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happy_Go_Lucky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #2804
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default 27 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

More than two dozen people, mostly elementary school children, were shot and killed at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school this morning, federal and state sources tell ABC News.

The massacre involved two gunmen and prompted the town of Newtown to lock down all of its schools and draw SWAT teams to the school, authorities said today.

One shooter is dead and a manhunt is on for a second gunman. Police are searching cars. One shooter was described as a 24-year-old armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet vest, sources told ABC News.

It's unclear how many people have been shot, but 25 people, mostly children are dead, multiple federal and state sources tell ABC News. That number could rise, officials said.

Today's shooting occurred at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, which includes 450 students in grades from kindergarten through fourth grade. The town is located about 12 miles east of Danbury.

http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-s...opstories.html

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #2805
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #2806
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
More than two dozen people, mostly elementary school children, were shot and killed at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school this morning, federal and state sources tell ABC News.

The massacre involved two gunmen and prompted the town of Newtown to lock down all of its schools and draw SWAT teams to the school, authorities said today.

One shooter is dead and a manhunt is on for a second gunman. Police are searching cars. One shooter was described as a 24-year-old armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet vest, sources told ABC News.

It's unclear how many people have been shot, but 25 people, mostly children are dead, multiple federal and state sources tell ABC News. That number could rise, officials said.

Today's shooting occurred at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, which includes 450 students in grades from kindergarten through fourth grade. The town is located about 12 miles east of Danbury.

http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-s...opstories.html
This makes every problem I have seem so insignificant....I just can't wrap my head around folks shooting babies! Sending prayers and healing to all of the families.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #2807
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default From our President

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #2808
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation
Default :'(

It's a sad day and a sad world we live when our schools have to partake in regular drills on what to do if somebody enters the school armed with guns and starts shooting .
That's all I have to say about this .
RNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RNguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #2809
anotherbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single and very content this way...

Thanked 1,300 Times in 367 Posts
anotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputation
Default I can't imagine the grief in that little town in Connecticut tonight.

Dear Father, We have gathered as a community,
not because
we wanted to, but because we felt compelled to;
because we couldn't not be here––for one another,
for the families of the victims
We gather as citizens who love our God
and who love the good land God has given us;
who cherish the freedoms we enjoy,
and who lament our innocence lost.
With anger we come, and with sorrow;
with confusion and concern.
Our spirits boil with emotion;
our minds are ajumble with nagging implications.
We come
to pray,
to listen,
to speak to God and to one another;
to lament our losses
and lift up our wounded hearts for healing. ♥♥♥
anotherbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #2810
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/...ack/index.html

Beijing (CNN) - Twenty-two primary school children were wounded in a knife attack Friday in central China, authorities said.

The attack took place at the entrance to the Chenpeng Village Primary School in Henan province, according to the public information department of Guangshan county, the area where the school is located. An adult was also wounded, it said.

Several of the children are in critical condition, the state-run website Chinanews.com said, citing local authorities.

Police say they have detained a suspect, a 36-year-old man from the village, state media reported.

Initial assessments suggest the man is mentally ill, Chinanews.com said, citing Guangshan authorities.

China was hit by a spate of knife and cleaver attacks that targeted school children in 2010.

A number of measures were introduced at the time, including increased security at schools across the country and a regulation requiring people to register with their national ID cards when buying large knives.

CNN's Shao Tian in Beijing and journalist Pan Xinlei in Hong Kong contributed to this report.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #2811
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

A family from here in my city of Winnipeg moved to that town in Connecticut not long ago; the man and his wife had a son and daughter ......... apparently his daughter was one of the ones who were killed

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #2812
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

I have been wondering why no one is talking about how the guy got into the school. They had a buzzer and a monitor. I heard he pushed his way in. Does anyone know how?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #2813
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
I have been wondering why no one is talking about how the guy got into the school. They had a buzzer and a monitor. I heard he pushed his way in. Does anyone know how?
I've been wondering that too. I haven't seen the Times today.

His mother was either a former teacher or a volunteer at the school. They might have just "known" him.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #2814
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I've been wondering that too. I haven't seen the Times today.

His mother was either a former teacher or a volunteer at the school. They might have just "known" him.
I imagine they are looking over the evidence to see why he was let in. I would think they want to make sure the person who is responsible for this followed the procedures. I can't imagine being the person who let him in and how they must feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #2815
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

In my Ontario, Canada city (and high school I work at), one can just walk in the front door to a school. People come in and out and report to the main office--parents dropping off things, late arriving students or returning from appointments, office deliveries, supply teachers coming in etc. It's odd (and sad) to think of my entire school locked up during the day. No one buzzes people in or anything like that.

USA schools are all locked up during the day?
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #2816
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Each school set up will be unique to the building. Some have a double set of doors scenario. Where you can go in the first set of doors and then be buzzed through the 2nd after checking in. You can push your way in if others are entering/exiting at the same time. Especially at a high transition time like the morning.

And for Soon.... yes all outside doors are locked during the day. Only one set of doors is open where folks can be buzzed in.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #2817
GPS
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy to my 5 year old..
Preferred Pronoun?:
Banned 12/27/2012 - Former member came back under a new name
Relationship Status:
Enjoying Life

Thanked 1,171 Times in 351 Posts
GPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
they are now saying he shot the gun thru a window. he was not buzzed in. his mother was not a teacher at the school. and.... it was not the oldest of the 2 boys it was the younger one.

again who really knows?
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #2818
GPS
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy to my 5 year old..
Preferred Pronoun?:
Banned 12/27/2012 - Former member came back under a new name
Relationship Status:
Enjoying Life

Thanked 1,171 Times in 351 Posts
GPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST ReputationGPS Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
In my Ontario, Canada city (and high school I work at), one can just walk in the front door to a school. People come in and out and report to the main office--parents dropping off things, late arriving students or returning from appointments, office deliveries, supply teachers coming in etc. It's odd (and sad) to think of my entire school locked up during the day. No one buzzes people in or anything like that.

USA schools are all locked up during the day?
Canada is a type of country i wish we had. Seriously. i practically grew up in Crystal Beach, hell it was about a 40 minute ride from home. we spent holidays and summers there.

i honestly wish we were more like Canada
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #2819
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
they are now saying he shot the gun thru a window. he was not buzzed in. his mother was not a teacher at the school. and.... it was not the oldest of the 2 boys it was the younger one.

again who really knows?
Ok thanks for the update!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #2820
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Butch who desires femme company.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Thanked 3,359 Times in 626 Posts
Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation
Default It is maddening

to think that most if not all the schools in the near future will be monitored like a Fort Knox. Seems this country has plenty of money AFTER a tragedy ala 9/11 but when it comes to preventive care, the far right politicians turn a blind eye.

This will get worse before it improves. What exactly will it take for many politicians to get on board with sane gun laws and stop the NRA cult from spitting all over us. Their 2nd amendment rights DO NOT supercede my right, your right to live a peaceful and safe existence.

Rant Off
Happy_Go_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking news, news