Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > THE BUTCHFEMMEPLANET PLANET > United States Forums > North Carolina Forums

Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation
Default North Carolina

Where are my Tarheels? lol

I live in the mtns, near Asheville. Where y'all at?
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

North Cackalacky here!

We've yet to explore much of the state, but we have a wish list including Asheville (e's been, but I haven't) where my oldest niece lives, and the Outer Banks.

Are you a lifetime resident, Dixie?
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

mawning NC dwellers
wow i see this thread needs some serious bumping..... haha..
i been running around NC doing short loads all friggin week....
i love it here. use to live in the charlotte area in 2000/2002
and now planning on moving bk...
im hangin here in salsibury at wally world at the moment waiting for my dispatch to send me a load to go do. heading someplace with a lot of miles. heh....
anyways........ have a good day

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm in Southern VA, a stone's throw from the NC state line. I'm subscribing to this thread. Let's get this party started.
Sachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
lyric

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
quiet and content

lyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Hi everyone

I'm curious about the NC LGBT community - more specifically, the B-F community, and most specifically, in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'm considering a future move to the area and was wondering what to expect in regards to community, visibility, etc.

Can anyone tell me anything? Any information anyone is willing to offer would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

Hey, Lyric...

I spend a lot of time in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill because my sister and her family live in Raleigh. I've dabbled in the queer community down there, so I can help a bit.

Chapel Hill is a fairly liberal town, and seems to be the most liberal of the three. Durham is pretty queer friendly too, for the South. Raleigh tends to be a little ... what's the word...antiseptic, maybe? The queer community in Raleigh seems to be a bit male-centric, in my opinion. A bit more female-centric in Durham. Chapel Hill is all over the map...tree-huggers, queers, liberals, etc. I socialized briefly with a femme in Durham on one trip down there. She indicated to me that community there (b-f) was kind of skimpy.

Overall, I love it there...always lots going on and lots to do.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
lyric

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
quiet and content

lyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputationlyric Has the BEST Reputation

Jake, thanks so much for the quick response and the information!

My mother lives in Raleigh. I called her earlier this evening to ask her what she's observed, but she's pretty much clueless. I've been doing some research online, but what I'm finding are mostly nightclub reviews and old advertisements for NC Pride. From what you've offered, the Chapel Hill area sounds more eclectic and closer to what I'm looking for. I lived in eastern Tennessee for a while and relocated to the DC area about five years ago, and while I enjoy aspects of the community here, I'm looking to move somewhere a bit warmer and a bit less expensive than DC, where we can be out and queer without a lot of hassle. I know that some places in the south are a little iffy, and I don't really want to plant myself in an area that is less than accepting and especially where my partner would feel uncomfortable.

Thanks again for what you've shared! I really do appreciate your help.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Please don't ask me why it never occured to me that there would be a North Carolina thread here...I am such a total bimbo sometimes!

Greetings from the Charlotte Metro and Maggie Valley areas!

Lyric have you checked out the Q-Notes website? It's the LGBT paper for NC & SC. There's a community resource guide (qguide) on their site for the Raleigh/Triangle area. An LGBT Community Center just opened up in Raleigh too. I'll see if I can come up with some more info for you. But that's a good place to start.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
lyric

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
quiet and content

Thank you, Miss Scarlett! I'm so grateful for the link. I've bookmarked it and will check it out tomorrow when I'm not quite so brain dead.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
sweet_goldie_grrl

How Do You Identify?:
me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

sweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputationsweet_goldie_grrl Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up hey y'all!!

well I definitely live in NC!! I don't see a lot of members from this site who live in NC . . . everyone else lives in texas or california! Well, I know not EVERYONE else lives there but it sometimes seems so. Anywhoo.....i'm subscribin' to this!!
sweet_goldie_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Hey, Lyric...

I spend a lot of time in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill because my sister and her family live in Raleigh. I've dabbled in the queer community down there, so I can help a bit.

Chapel Hill is a fairly liberal town, and seems to be the most liberal of the three. Durham is pretty queer friendly too, for the South. Raleigh tends to be a little ... what's the word...antiseptic, maybe? The queer community in Raleigh seems to be a bit male-centric, in my opinion. A bit more female-centric in Durham. Chapel Hill is all over the map...tree-huggers, queers, liberals, etc. I socialized briefly with a femme in Durham on one trip down there. She indicated to me that community there (b-f) was kind of skimpy.

Overall, I love it there...always lots going on and lots to do.

Jake
Raleigh here, and not a fan. I wouldn't recommend this city to anyone, for any reason. (!!!) Not that I dislike it that much, but that there are decidedly better places to live. Then again, I moved here from New York, so it's a tough comparison. I'm considering relocating "inside the belt line" which has a little more going on, and feels less sprawled than where I live at present.

You're correct about Durham (has 2 good sized "clubs") and Chapel Hill. If it weren't such a long commute for me, I think Chapel Hill would be my choice.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Happy Spring to my fellow Tarheels!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend so far and that we can finally say farewell to winter!!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Raleigh here, and not a fan. I wouldn't recommend this city to anyone, for any reason. (!!!) Not that I dislike it that much, but that there are decidedly better places to live. Then again, I moved here from New York, so it's a tough comparison. I'm considering relocating "inside the belt line" which has a little more going on, and feels less sprawled than where I live at present.

You're correct about Durham (has 2 good sized "clubs") and Chapel Hill. If it weren't such a long commute for me, I think Chapel Hill would be my choice.
My sister and her family live inside the beltline, and I would recommend it. It seems a lot nicer than the sprawled areas. They live near the Five Points area, and really like it. I enjoy Raleigh whenever I visit, but a lot of my visit tends to revolve around my three year-old niece, so there's lots of visits to parks, the natural history museum and things like that. Raleigh is still on my list of places to possibly relocate to someday.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
My sister and her family live inside the beltline, and I would recommend it. It seems a lot nicer than the sprawled areas. They live near the Five Points area, and really like it. I enjoy Raleigh whenever I visit, but a lot of my visit tends to revolve around my three year-old niece, so there's lots of visits to parks, the natural history museum and things like that. Raleigh is still on my list of places to possibly relocate to someday.

Jake
The latest issue of Q-Notes has a great article about Raleigh and its potential for a Castro-type gayborhood for NC. Here's the link:

http://goqnotes.com/6047/raleighs-avenue-q/
Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
GentleAndro

How Do You Identify?:
Androgynous Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She (And "He" from my lady)
Relationship Status:
Single

GentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST ReputationGentleAndro Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pockets of Visibility

Asheville is definitely the high mark of queer visibility in North Carolina, but there are other places as well: Charlotte, Durham and then Chapel Hill and Raleigh trailing.

As for b/f, it's mostly various forms of butch on butch (or bisexuals who are femme on femme) in any place but Asheville.
GentleAndro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GentleAndro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

Hello, tarheels!

I am currently in California, but was born and raised in NC, the Charlotte area, and my family still live there. My mom actually owns a metaphysical book shop in Monroe, NC and is VERY gay friendly. Trans friendly too, lol. I miss NC sometimes, but mostly the land.. I have a very strong connection to the earth and the mountains of NC.

I hope to be visiting at some point this year.. Will keep everyone updated

-Tony, Southern Boy representin'..

Mom's Website: http://www.angelfirefire.com/nc3/freespiritgiftshop
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

Mom's *real* website addy, lol

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/freespiritgiftshop
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Smile If you pass through WV....

If you pass through WV near Bluefield WV/VA, stop in for and! We don't get many guests these days!
Lady_Wu
Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Hello fellow Tar Heels.. I am actually going to be moving back to NC next year, thinking about settling down in or around Asheville.. I know that there are few folks on here from Asheville, including some trans folks. I am just wondering, are there any local groups or resources for transguys in the area? I looked up some info and found a group, but it looked like it was geared more toward MTF's.

Thanks for any info and I am sooo looking forward to being back to my home state

-Tony
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #20
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderKnight View Post
Hello fellow Tar Heels.. I am actually going to be moving back to NC next year, thinking about settling down in or around Asheville.. I know that there are few folks on here from Asheville, including some trans folks. I am just wondering, are there any local groups or resources for transguys in the area? I looked up some info and found a group, but it looked like it was geared more toward MTF's.

Thanks for any info and I am sooo looking forward to being back to my home state

-Tony
I'm in the Asheville area. I'm not quite sure off the top of my head, but I will do some digging around for ya and see what I can find.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote