Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #81
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
I would imagine so. As someone who fights daily (and nightly) with asthma, I appreciate you appreciating your lungs and those who love you enough to stop smoking. It's hard to watch someone throw their lungs away when you really wish yours worked better.
I'm so sorry you have asthma sassy_girl. Sadly I already threw my lungs away and have the asthma, the COPD and 50% lung function

I did it to myself though and can't complain.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #82
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I'm so sorry you have asthma sassy_girl. Sadly I already threw my lungs away and have the asthma, the COPD and 50% lung function

I did it to myself though and can't complain.
I believe mine stems from growing up with two smoking parents. Sad but true. Sorry you are fighting those dreaded issues even if it's your own doing. Maybe others will read this and feel inspired to quit too!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #83
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
I believe mine stems from growing up with two smoking parents. Sad but true. Sorry you are fighting those dreaded issues even if it's your own doing. Maybe others will read this and feel inspired to quit too!
That's what I hope sassy_girl. I'm only 47 and have 50% lung function. I cycle and try keep it to the best of capacity but I'm afraid the damage is done, I have to make an effort to keep lung function, I can't take it for granted. If anyone could learn from my mistake of leaving it too late to give up smoking no matter what the Dr's say then my job is done.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #84
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
That's what I hope sassy_girl. I'm only 47 and have 50% lung function. I cycle and try keep it to the best of capacity but I'm afraid the damage is done, I have to make an effort to keep lung function, I can't take it for granted. If anyone could learn from my mistake of leaving it too late to give up smoking no matter what the Dr's say then my job is done.
Incubus, I do not know you however reading that at 47 you have copd has just choked me into to tears, i think im done...im putting on my patch and gonna finish my book. and pray like hell this time my quit will stick. I hope that you have some really good and solid family support. and i hope your lungs have the opportunity to heal.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #85
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
Incubus, I do not know you however reading that at 47 you have copd has just choked me into to tears, i think im done...im putting on my patch and gonna finish my book. and pray like hell this time my quit will stick. I hope that you have some really good and solid family support. and i hope your lungs have the opportunity to heal.
Awww gaea no need for any choking or tears on my behalf, I did it to my myself. I appreciate your thought though. Sadly because it is copd it means my lungs will never regain function but I can stop the disease getting any worse from this point.

If my story inspires you to stick in there and apply yourself to giving up then that would make giving up and telling my story entirely worthwhile. I would be honoured to have been an inspiration.

The one negative side-effect of giving up is I've gone from being 100lbs all my adult life to 125lbs. It means all my summer shorts that I've just got out of winter storage don't fit me and I had to buy new Levis in the winter too. ...it's summer so at least I can get out on my bike and unicycle in an effort to try and reduce the weight gain a little.

Don't let potential weight gain put you off though, you can do something about that but you can't fix damaged lungs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #86
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

almost 2 weeks now...
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #87
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Champix.

It's a pill, available here, the UK, on the NHS and available elsewhere, I believe, online. B. and I are now finally off the dreaded cigarettes having been smokers for most of O/our lives and I can honestly say that weaning O/ourselves off them was much, much easier than W/we expected, thanks to the pills. Warning though, if you do decide to go this way, you need to do it under professional supervision, especially if you're prone to depression.

Good luck everyone.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #88
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Champix.

It's a pill, available here, the UK, on the NHS and available elsewhere, I believe, online. B. and I are now finally off the dreaded cigarettes having been smokers for most of O/our lives and I can honestly say that weaning O/ourselves off them was much, much easier than W/we expected, thanks to the pills. Warning though, if you do decide to go this way, you need to do it under professional supervision, especially if you're prone to depression.

Good luck everyone.

Words
Hey Words glad to hear that you've both stopped. I used Champix too and have extolled it's benefits in this thread before, I'm glad you can back me up in that. I was/am prone to depression and thought the potential benefits worth the risk. I didn't have a problem thank goodness......I did enjoy the vivid dreams though

MrSunshine, that's amazing! That old adage, one day at a time is useful and if a day is too much break it down into half days, or even hours at a time if things get really tough. Keep at it!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #89
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Night one, Morning One

Sunday was not my quit date yet yesterday 04/11/11 is my last and final quit.

Night one ugh heartburn, ive done this before i know what to expect....mind over matter..

Morning one i realize the only cigarette i ever craved was the morning one the rest were, well habit and i don't want that habit any longer.

im done with it all..

Here to support here to share.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #90
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

May 13th will be my 3 yr anniversary. its been up and down,and i still get a craving here and there depending on situation,but for most part it just makes me sick to smell the smoke. I,too, used chantix(which im assuming is the same asChampix)...was the ONLY thing that worked--and i spent tons of money on everything out there

so good luck to you Gaea..i hope you can accomplish quitting.
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scootebaby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #91
Daktari

Brilliant gaea, there's plenty of folks behind you. Like you said, you know the drill and it's all about riding it out, with gritted teeth if necessary. It does get easier....but you know that.

I'm certainly rooting for ya and will always be here to encourage if you need.

Yup Scoote Champix must be Chantix, too much of a co-incidence in the names. They were the *only* thing that worked for me too ....but then I think because I'd feared for my life just before I gave up I had the added 'benefit' of the fear factor, which I have to say was huge!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #92
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Champix.

Good luck everyone.

Words
In the U.S. it is called Chantix. And yep, worked for me. I was a complete nut job when I tried to quit the first time. The second time, with Chantix...MUCH EASIER. And I was a 1 3/4 - 2 pack a day smoker.

It made me nauseous every morning (with or without food), but it only lasted 20 minutes, so it was worth it.

I have heard some folks have terribly vivid dreams. I had more dreams, but they weren't vivid per se. Regardless, I would have hung in there anyway (if at all possible), b/c it made SUCH a difference. I CAN'T say enough good things about this drug!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #93
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Did the electronic cigarettes really work for anyone here? How long did you have to take these pills Folks? I need a prescription right? Did you gain ALOT of weight? Can you breathe better? Etc..
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #94
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
Did the electronic cigarettes really work for anyone here? How long did you have to take these pills Folks? I need a prescription right? Did you gain ALOT of weight? Can you breathe better? Etc..
Yes, it is a prescription. Check and make sure that your state does not have a program where they will pay for it, if your insurance won't pay for it.

My insurance did not pay for it, but my work did after I paid for one month, which was over $136.00 or something. So, it is a big commitment if your insurance won't pay for it (like mine).

It is prescribed for 3 months, however, there was at least one study that showed people stayed quit longer if they used it for 6 months.

I talked my provider into giving it to me for 6 months based on the above and I really feel that made a difference for me.

I gained about 7 lbs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #95
Guy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,574 Times in 889 Posts
Guy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST Reputation

I quit cold turkey 9 years ago but I have friends and neighbors that have quit smoking through this method.

Lifeline Stop Smoking Clinics - Tampa, Fl. Home Page

This clinic is in Tampa Florida, not sure if there are other clinics , but it's worth looking into.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #96
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Default Good Luck Popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
Im already feeling better day 2, mind you this is my third round. Have some faith.

Whats different this time is my mindset i am not fearful of being a non smoker in fact im embracing it. I had a few moments yesterday where i looked for my "cigarettes" and when i realized what i was doing i stopped the thought in its track as well as the action.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #97
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Default One day at time

This time around is a whole lot easier.

I think it is mindset and the wanting to be a non smoker. I am a non smoker today.

I had someone come into my work and tell me i needed to be 30 days smoke free to be considered a non smoker, my response was why do i need to live on your time frame ? I don't and i am a non smoker.

Why do people need to impose their rules and time periods on others?

I have great people in my life that are incredibly supportive.

Its a good day today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #98
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Congrats gaea

Quote:

I think it is mindset and the wanting to be a non smoker. I am a non smoker today.

I had someone come into my work and tell me i needed to be 30 days smoke free to be considered a non smoker, my response was why do i need to live on your time frame ? I don't and i am a non smoker.

Its a good day today.

Congratulations on each day. Been around along a time at meetings where One Day at a Time is a big celebration.
So again, CONGRATULATIONS.
Living in California I have the pleasure of being able to be at work, at a restaurant, and any public place and not be exposed to the second hand smoke. I'm not a ciggie basher, it is just so unpleasant to me, and I think it is due to being around a 2 pack a day partner and also my Mom, and then when not around it, I can breathe, taste, and smell things better.

I have been with people who quit drinking and doing drugs, but could not give up smoking. My Mom, for one. She went into an in-patient rehab program and quit those, but did not, could not give it up until it was too late.
She was diagnosed with oat cell, or smoker's cancer, and on that very day, told me it would still be hard to quit. She did quit during chemo and radiation, and by her own fighting will and the grace of God, lived almost 5 more years.

Mentioning Electronic Cig's , I know the FDA came down hard on them because of things Investigators found at their sites.
Electronic Cigarettes
Summary of Results: Laboratory Analysis of Electronic Cigarettes Conducted By FDA seen here
FDA announced that it had taken enforcement action against five electronic cigarette companies (seen here) for violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA), including unsubstantiated claims and poor manufacturing practices.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #99
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:

Its a good day today.
F-'em. You ARE a non-smoker!

Keep it going, everyone. You CAN and WILL do it!

It is SO nice being on the other side. Not worrying if you have cigs. Not worrying about when you will get that next cig when you are going into a long meeting. Not worrying if you smell like smoke when you are in said meeting. Such freedom! Seriously, that is what it feels like. FREEDOM!

Do I still crave them? Absolutely. Yesterday wanted one so bad and it has been a year and a half. But, it passes. Just like the cravings any of you may be having right now. Just keep remembering that!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #100
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

After doing the stop/start thing while trying to quit, I kept making excuses and kept sayin, "oh just one or two a day" blah blah blah!

Enough.

I was reading a book and it said if you want a different outcome, change your response. Instead of responding to my stress by going out and smoking, I would go outside and walk up and down my drive way, then come back in and continue what I was doing. It sounds a bit odd, but it seems to have worked.

I am officially3 weeks cigarette free......cold turkey!

I plan on being able to run a mile by June 1st, 2 miles by July 1st, and plan on running a 5K by the end of August. I will run a 5K before I turn 40 in October. Bet on it. Cold turkey.

My shortness of breath is gone and I FEEL so much better!