Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Femme Zone

The Femme Zone For all things "Femme"

Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #81
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
gaea, it is more the misinformation that pisses me off. I am not upset with you, I am upset with the person who told you this bull-crap...
what ruins the natural nail is illegal products that contain MMA and a heavy handed tech. Most of the non traditional nail places use bigger brushes that contain more of the monomer and you are bound to have it get on the cuticle area which in turn causes over exposure. Let me see if I can find the article I hand out when I taught. I will work on finding it later this week. Sorry for the rant...

**puts her soap box away...
thanks Kim that is very kind of you and i would appreciate any information you can pass along to me.

taking care of my nails is important to me and i get great satisfaction from doing them myself.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #82
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Not Impressed

With Ultas Red Carpet Manicure Gel...

I followed the instructions to a tee...the gel took hours to set even having my nails under the light as instructed ....

I think im going to save my money and invest in the "gelish" brand and the light system. The gelish brand is what my nail tech uses when i can go to see her so i already know that is a brand that sets properly with the light system.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #83
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

I have terrible nails. They barely grow, and when I do get a little length on them, they bend and tear. They are getting better, though, because I found a fantastic product. Nail-aid Collagen Nail Builder. I know a lot of people love Sally Hansen products, but I've always found them to be lacking. Never did a thing for me. Also, Sally Hansen products are animal tested, which is a deal-breaker for me. Nail-aid is made in the USA, not animal tested, and contains no DBP, toluene, or formaldehyde. It's fabulous stuff. The Collagen Nail Builder promises visibly longer, stronger nails in one week, and it absolutely delivers. My nails still have a way to go to be truly healthy, but I can definitely see progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #84
Rivkeh

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
In formal settings...Miss
Relationship Status:
Wrapped up with a Shiny Red Bow

Rivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST ReputationRivkeh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMa'am View Post
I have terrible nails. They barely grow, and when I do get a little length on them, they bend and tear. My nails still have a way to go to be truly healthy, but I can definitely see progress.
...okay, this year I have started having Shellac CND done when I have a manicure and it is amazing! The colors and the lustre stay beautiful for 2 plus weeks....before that I was having manicures with regular OPI nail polish and was lucky if I got three days. The other great thing about Shellac is that it keeps your nails strong, and therefore you get better growth.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #85
BugsAndKisses

How Do You Identify?:
ladybug, lover of little things
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Settled

BugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST Reputation

I can't wait to try this!
BugsAndKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BugsAndKisses For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #86
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsAndKisses View Post
That is so many different kinds of awesome. I'm totally doing this after my next manicure.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #87
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

For anyone who has done the shellac manicures, I found a product that I am in LOVE with:

This is called "Sensationail" by Nailene. It's a kit that costs about $50 and they have about 12 different colors.
The kit comes with the LED light and all the stuff you need. It takes about 10 minutes to do your nails and they are hard as a rock after.

I am in LOVE.

This ends up costing less than $5 per manicure!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #88
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Has anyone here tried a "gel" manicure, yet? I've heard they last a long time. And do you know if you can get one if you have tips w/acrylic?
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #89
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Has anyone here tried a "gel" manicure, yet? I've heard they last a long time. And do you know if you can get one if you have tips w/acrylic?
The acrylic would have to come off I think. I've had the gels done before and I liked them. They didn't damage my nails like acrylic. They would last up to 2 weeks for me, but I am hard on my nails.

I just got my first shellac manicure and I like it too. It's lasted about a week and a half so far, and may make it to 2 before I get annoyed enough to have it redone.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #90
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,009 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
The acrylic would have to come off I think. I've had the gels done before and I liked them. They didn't damage my nails like acrylic. They would last up to 2 weeks for me, but I am hard on my nails.

I just got my first shellac manicure and I like it too. It's lasted about a week and a half so far, and may make it to 2 before I get annoyed enough to have it redone.
I love shellac! My nails stay pretty much flawless for at least 3 weeks. They have kits you can buy to do them at home now too, but I trust that I will mess them up if I do lol!
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #91
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,009 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsAndKisses View Post
Curious, did you ever do this? When I tried it was quite a bit messy and it didn't turn out like I had hoped...(do they ever?)
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #92
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

What type of gel are you thinking about? Something along the line of Shellac by CND, OPI also has a version, actually there are many versions out there. Although you can use acrylic and gel together the person doing the process should be able to do it right. I would suggest finding someone in your area that uses Young Nails. It is the product I use as a licensed nail tech/cosmetologist. I have used OPI and the CND Shellac of those two I prefer OPI. As far as tips go, I only sculpt my nails and steer clear of using tips, mind you this is just my preference and may not be something your nail tech does.
I wish you luck in finding what works for you.

Quote:

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #93
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I wish I could grow my nails naturally, but I can't. I usually bite them (yuck!) but it's a habit I have never been able to break. So.. I get the fakes. I get acrylics with gel. This serves two purposes, long nails (ya!) and no more biting. I spend about 60.00 a month on fills and about 30 for a new set which need to be replaced every 6 weeks. It's kinda expensive, but I like it! It just HURTS like a mutha when I have to get the old ones ripped off and new ones put on. Every time I say I'm not gonna do it, and just get a regular manicure but I always change my mind lol

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #94
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
When I get my acrylic tips, they put a clear gel on top instead of a top coat. You have to put your hands under a UV light for 3 min so they dry. My nails look perfect until my next fill, always. You can pick a color if you want too. They have all kinds of gel colors at my nail salon.

Starry
The Following User Says Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #95
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Starry, why are you having your acrylic nails replaced? There is NO reason to have them removed. EVERY time they *rip* off the acrylic they are taking more of your natural nail. This is what makes the natural nail weak and causes damage that really can not ever be undone. I will guess by the price you are stating here is that you go to a non-traditional nail salon? It should NOT be painful to get your nails done! If it is hurting during the service or after find a different salon. I have all of my clients to their natural nails, they just have an overlay of either acrylic or gel. Nails is what I do, staying educated is important to me so I am sorry if this comes off as being mean. If you have any questions please by all means send me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
I wish I could grow my nails naturally, but I can't. I usually bite them (yuck!) but it's a habit I have never been able to break. So.. I get the fakes. I get acrylics with gel. This serves two purposes, long nails (ya!) and no more biting. I spend about 60.00 a month on fills and about 30 for a new set which need to be replaced every 6 weeks. It's kinda expensive, but I like it! It just HURTS like a mutha when I have to get the old ones ripped off and new ones put on. Every time I say I'm not gonna do it, and just get a regular manicure but I always change my mind lol

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #96
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
Starry, why are you having your acrylic nails replaced? There is NO reason to have them removed. EVERY time they *rip* off the acrylic they are taking more of your natural nail. This is what makes the natural nail weak and causes damage that really can not ever be undone. I will guess by the price you are stating here is that you go to a non-traditional nail salon? It should NOT be painful to get your nails done! If it is hurting during the service or after find a different salon. I have all of my clients to their natural nails, they just have an overlay of either acrylic or gel. Nails is what I do, staying educated is important to me so I am sorry if this comes off as being mean. If you have any questions please by all means send me a pm.
I go to a Vietnamese nail salon. I have had my nails done for over 15 years and I always have to get them replaced. They use a white tip or a now a white powder that eventually grows out and needs to be replaced. I know it hurts like a mutha! Maybe it doesn't need to be done, maybe it's a money making scheme who knows. I have been to many nail salons and they always do this tho.

Starry
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #97
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

There really is no reason for this other than to take your money. It can be replaced without removing everything. I do it all of the time for my clients, who say it is now nice to know that getting your nails done shouldn't hurt.
Where are you at in San Diego? I might be able to hook you up with a salon that might make getting your nails done not so painful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
I go to a Vietnamese nail salon. I have had my nails done for over 15 years and I always have to get them replaced. They use a white tip or a now a white powder that eventually grows out and needs to be replaced. I know it hurts like a mutha! Maybe it doesn't need to be done, maybe it's a money making scheme who knows. I have been to many nail salons and they always do this tho.

- Unknown -
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #98
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I've been having this done for about 6 months--Shellac is used at my salon.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #99
CA_BabyCakes

How Do You Identify?:
All Femme

Thanked 1,174 Times in 282 Posts
CA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST ReputationCA_BabyCakes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I found that when i put gel on french tip nails sometimes the gel discolors after about a week. The gel is thick and not removable with nail polish remover so when it discolors i have to return and have it professionally removed. I went back to just using clear coat, which i can remove and reapply myself.
CA_BabyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CA_BabyCakes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #100
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

Yeah, unfortunately the acrylic wrecks your nail bed, but I love the length and strength w/ acrylics. Maybe the next time I remove them, I'll try the gel manicure. Do you know if it the same w/the shellac mani,(having to remove your acrylic first?)
Thank you for your response, Gemme.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:

Tags
manicure