Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Femme Zone

The Femme Zone For all things "Femme"

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #101
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
What type of gel are you thinking about? Something along the line of Shellac by CND, OPI also has a version, actually there are many versions out there. Although you can use acrylic and gel together the person doing the process should be able to do it right. I would suggest finding someone in your area that uses Young Nails. It is the product I use as a licensed nail tech/cosmetologist. I have used OPI and the CND Shellac of those two I prefer OPI. As far as tips go, I only sculpt my nails and steer clear of using tips, mind you this is just my preference and may not be something your nail tech does.
I wish you luck in finding what works for you.

Thanks for the info, justkim...I will have to look into the sculptured nails as a possible option. Are they as strong as acrylic?
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #102
vixenagogo

How Do You Identify?:
unabashedly femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
i prefer being proadverb.
Relationship Status:
single.

Thanked 1,260 Times in 381 Posts
vixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputation
Default tomay-to...tomah-to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Yeah, unfortunately the acrylic wrecks your nail bed, but I love the length and strength w/ acrylics. Maybe the next time I remove them, I'll try the gel manicure. Do you know if it the same w/the shellac mani,(having to remove your acrylic first?)
Thank you for your response, Gemme.
a gel manicure is the same a shellac manicure. shellac is just a brand name of a gel manicure product. i have had shellac and gelish products used. personally i like the gelish because it's a little thicker in consistency and seems to wear longer ( i get about 3 weeks wear). gelish also has more colors to choose from (including sparkles for those so inclined).

so yes, you would have to remove your acrylic first if you are interested in a gel manicure cause you wouldn't need both, right?

in regards to your nail bed... if you pick or peel off the gel polish, it will cause damage to your nail beds, too. always have any artificial nail product (gel or acrylic) removed the proper way by soaking in acetone. the nice thing about the gel manicure is that there is no aggressive filing on the natural nail like acrylic nails because the product is removed every time you have it done (instead of layering).
vixenagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vixenagogo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #103
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixenagogo View Post
a gel manicure is the same a shellac manicure. shellac is just a brand name of a gel manicure product. i have had shellac and gelish products used. personally i like the gelish because it's a little thicker in consistency and seems to wear longer ( i get about 3 weeks wear). gelish also has more colors to choose from (including sparkles for those so inclined).

so yes, you would have to remove your acrylic first if you are interested in a gel manicure cause you wouldn't need both, right?

in regards to your nail bed... if you pick or peel off the gel polish, it will cause damage to your nail beds, too. always have any artificial nail product (gel or acrylic) removed the proper way by soaking in acetone. the nice thing about the gel manicure is that there is no aggressive filing on the natural nail like acrylic nails because the product is removed every time you have it done (instead of layering).

Thanks for clearing the gel/shellac thing up. And also the acrylic/gel thing, too.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #104
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately the acrylic wrecks your nail bed, but I love the length and strength w/ acrylics. Maybe the next time I remove them, I'll try the gel manicure. Do you know if it the same w/the shellac mani,(having to remove your acrylic first?)
Talon, more damage is done by the nail tech to the natural nail when they are not trained properly. ALL of my clients could go without nail enhancements if that is what they chose to do. But they don't. I take any and all classes that are offered to me so that I can provide the most current and up to date information to my clients.
You can put gel over acrylic, but proper steps need to be taken to make sure you get the best adhesion.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #105
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

There should NEVER be any aggressive filing on the natural nail bed no matter what you are having done. You only need to remove the shine from the natural nail bed. I have used buffing block to remove the shine. I had no problems with my product adhering to the nail. It is all in the prep work. Acrylic doesn't need to be removed for every application, if you are being told this then you are being ripped off.

I do this for a living, I also teach. It is my job not only to educate my students but also my clients. I share this information with you all because I love what I do, not because I want to be perceived as a know it all... If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #106
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
There should NEVER be any aggressive filing on the natural nail bed no matter what you are having done. You only need to remove the shine from the natural nail bed. I have used buffing block to remove the shine. I had no problems with my product adhering to the nail. It is all in the prep work. Acrylic doesn't need to be removed for every application, if you are being told this then you are being ripped off.

I do this for a living, I also teach. It is my job not only to educate my students but also my clients. I share this information with you all because I love what I do, not because I want to be perceived as a know it all... If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
Vixen and kim pretty much answered you, Talon, so I won't get into a long or drawn out dialogue but I will say that I'm up to 2 weeks now with my shellac mani and, though I can see the growth and where it could be filled in, I got a French so it still looks good.

I will say that next time, I'm going to have them go really deep on the white part. That way, when it grows out, I won't be able to see the shadow of the growth as soon. It may last me 3-4 weeks if I do it that way.

*edited to say*

I spent the first 3 days of my new shellac mani in water. If I wasn't in the pool, I was in the jacuzzi so my nails took a beating. I looked more pruney than humany. I have a regular pedi on my toes and the polish began to chip on the edges a little bit but my fingernails still looked fabulous. I'm really liking this.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 04-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #107
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Default Some of my handy work...

- Unknown -
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #108
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'd love to have cute nails but I can't because of work. So I make up for it with pedicures in the warm months.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #109
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Go ahead and pamper yourself... Do it when it is cold too... Your feet will thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
I'd love to have cute nails but I can't because of work. So I make up for it with pedicures in the warm months.

- Unknown -
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #110
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Vixen and kim pretty much answered you, Talon, so I won't get into a long or drawn out dialogue but I will say that I'm up to 2 weeks now with my shellac mani and, though I can see the growth and where it could be filled in, I got a French so it still looks good.

I will say that next time, I'm going to have them go really deep on the white part. That way, when it grows out, I won't be able to see the shadow of the growth as soon. It may last me 3-4 weeks if I do it that way.

*edited to say*

I spent the first 3 days of my new shellac mani in water. If I wasn't in the pool, I was in the jacuzzi so my nails took a beating. I looked more pruney than humany. I have a regular pedi on my toes and the polish began to chip on the edges a little bit but my fingernails still looked fabulous. I'm really liking this.
*chuckle*....I'm in the water quite a lot too, especially in summer, so the shellac sounds perfect for me.
Thanks, for everyone's response, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #111
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
me too , bodyworker with long nails not good!

i made a post about pedicures on the nail me butch version, i am so sick of seeing people get foot funguses from pedicure places!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #112
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
me too , bodyworker with long nails not good!

i made a post about pedicures on the nail me butch version, i am so sick of seeing people get foot funguses from pedicure places!
I've never seen a place that uses basins. What you wrote scares me!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #113
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Member Photo Albums

Update: I had a pedicure last week and I found a woman that is REALLY clean. She uses a foot bath with disposable liners. She doesn't share files, she dries yours out and keeps it in a baggie with your name on it.

I was telling her how HAPPY I was to see her foot bath and that I was scared of getting foot fungus from the places with those whirlpool like tubs. She told me that foot fungus isn't the worst thing you could get. There is a place in the mall that closed by the health dept because it was spreading MRSA! She also had a client that had a gift certificate to another place and she got a blood infection when that drill they use on acrylics nicked her cuticle. She said that the state goes crazy with these places because when they try to shut them down they say they sold it to another person (another family member usually) and they get the run around.

She told me some other disgusting stories as well. Just be careful everyone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #114
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Beloved, be careful with leaving your files in a bag. This can encourage the growth of undesirable types of bacteria also. I also use the drop in disposable liners. They are worth their weight in gold and the peace of mind they bring to clients is invaluable. Glad you found someone who makes you comfortable.

Quote:
Update: I had a pedicure last week and I found a woman that is REALLY clean. She uses a foot bath with disposable liners. She doesn't share files, she dries yours out and keeps it in a baggie with your name on it.

I was telling her how HAPPY I was to see her foot bath and that I was scared of getting foot fungus from the places with those whirlpool like tubs. She told me that foot fungus isn't the worst thing you could get. There is a place in the mall that closed by the health dept because it was spreading MRSA! She also had a client that had a gift certificate to another place and she got a blood infection when that drill they use on acrylics nicked her cuticle. She said that the state goes crazy with these places because when they try to shut them down they say they sold it to another person (another family member usually) and they get the run around.

She told me some other disgusting stories as well. Just be careful everyone!

- Unknown -
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #115
Ms. Tabitha

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Married ~ 4-1-13

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,041 Posts
Ms. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST Reputation

I find 'Duck Nails' disturbing

Would you wear your nails this way?

Ms. Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Tabitha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #116
femmsational

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitch, but she will do
Relationship Status:
Spoiled beyond rotten!

Thanked 3,788 Times in 773 Posts
femmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tabitha View Post

Holy cow!! I am a total nail girl. Even if I have a ball cap, jeans no makeup etc.. my nails are done. always.

Those duck nails freak me out. How do you wear shoes??? Wouldn't they cut the hell out of your other toes? And me being a putsy person normally, if my hands had nails that flared like that, I'd knock everything I tried to touch over.

I guess if you're used to them they might not be so hard to live with??? Maybe?

Still....Holy cow!!!

julie

Yes, I'm aware I can't spell, and no, I don't care quite enough to spell check. Sorry!!!
femmsational is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to femmsational For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #117
Ms. Tabitha

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Married ~ 4-1-13

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,041 Posts
Ms. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST ReputationMs. Tabitha Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmsational View Post
Holy cow!! I am a total nail girl. Even if I have a ball cap, jeans no makeup etc.. my nails are done. always.

Those duck nails freak me out. How do you wear shoes??? Wouldn't they cut the hell out of your other toes? And me being a putsy person normally, if my hands had nails that flared like that, I'd knock everything I tried to touch over.

I guess if you're used to them they might not be so hard to live with??? Maybe?

Still....Holy cow!!!

julie
I agree Julie ~ I may not have my makeup on and my hair may be pulled back in a ponytail but, my nails and especially my feet, are done

I could hurt myself with those nails or someone else
I don't think you would be able to wear closed toe shoes if your toes had the 'flare' on them, could you?

Imagine the pain if one of them broke?
Ms. Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #118
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Ummm... NO! Not only No but ummm... hell no... I have seen some crazy trends come and go when it comes to nails. This is NOT an option I wish to entertain. I have done them on a client, she loved them...
To each their own...

Quote:

- Unknown -
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #119
femmsational

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitch, but she will do
Relationship Status:
Spoiled beyond rotten!

Thanked 3,788 Times in 773 Posts
femmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I agree Julie ~ I may not have my makeup on and my hair may be pulled back in a ponytail but, my nails and especially my feet, are done

I could hurt myself with those nails or someone else
I don't think you would be able to wear closed toe shoes if your toes had the 'flare' on them, could you?

Imagine the pain if one of them broke?
I don't want to imagine the pain!!! Youch!!!

I didn't think about what I might do to someone else with them. ummmm...something to ponder. hehehe

Yes, I'm aware I can't spell, and no, I don't care quite enough to spell check. Sorry!!!
femmsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #120
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

ok stepping out n trying something new for me
the sally hansen nail sticker polish its cute

this is called booty something or other...i like that it is pink camouflage.

the probelem with things like this is they make them for gals with tiny nails and mine are not tiny at all they are wide and well my middle fingers arent quite covered fully however i like the fun aspect to it and they were easy to apply. I have matching painted pink toes.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:

Tags
manicure