Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #41
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

davos and stannis were well-cast...i'm also iffy on craster. i agree with you jd that melisandre is not nearly as commanding as i thought she'd be.

i didn't think the actor playing jaime really fit his character well in the first season, but he grew on me in the first episode of this season. i liked his portrayal before, it just didn't feel true to the character in the books.

i love the exchange between dany and her bloodriders in this episode and jorah as well. it's kind of funny,

spoiler for the books/later storylines
the whole dany/jorah unrequited love thing in the book bored me half to death, to be honest. but the chemistry between emilia clarke and iain glenn in the first season made me a hardcore dany/jorah shipper. now i'm going to have a huge huge sad when it goes into the unrequited love bit later

tyrion was amazing in the first episode
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I thought it was a great first episode. I love the series. Tyrion was great. I love his character. And Peter is a fabo actor!! And I just want to hang Joffrey. Don't spoil it for me... those who have read the story already. Psychopath... that was my first diagnosis.

I am halfway through the first book. It has been AGES since I have read a fiction book, but... I am not giving up. I am enjoying the "fill in the blanks" aspect of the book.

I think this is going to be A GREAT SEASON!!!

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #43
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

HBO is running a month long free bee so im watching Game of Thrones for the first time.I find it intresting but would like less gore,even polishing it up a bit then putting a more current time span,it could easly be the present day.No matter what century it is people have been doing the same things to be bigger,more powerful or just plane be a hard ass for what ever reason.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

it would be cool if it was set in modern day, but it would be a total break from the fantasy genre. it is kind of funny and weird how fantasy is always assumed to be in a medieval england sort of setting though. there's an interesting article about game of thrones and accents...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17554816

Quote:
But Game of Thrones, much of which was filmed in Northern Ireland, has only one American actor as a central character, Peter Dinklage. He does his part with a rather posh English accent.

"A New York accent wouldn't work," Dinklage, who was born in New Jersey and plays scheming Tyrion Lannister, recently explained to the Calgary Herald. "It doesn't sound right."

And if you go on the forums you see American fans' expectations have been met.

"I'm not an expert by any means, but what I find interesting is that they sound to my American ears to be not only British accents, but regional British accents," writes Independent George on the Ice and Fire Forum.

"The North sounds vaguely Scottish to me, Robert sounded like he was from Northern England, I know the DVD commentary track to episode six said that the Vale was cast as predominantly Welsh (though I couldn't identify a Welsh accent if my life depended on it)."

He adds: "Hopefully one of our British readers can set me straight. For natives, it could be as jarring as watching a western where everybody's speaking Italian. Oh, wait... "

Martin, the creator of the Song of Ice And Fire series of books, was inspired a great deal by European Medieval history," says Stephen Tierney, administrator of the Game of Thrones UK fansite.

"As such his characters reflect that and if you read the books and listen to the cadence of the characters' voices you will find that they do sound more regionally British than they do American.

"Since it is a mediaeval fantasy saga with more emphasis on the characters than on witches and wizards I do think the regional British accents work very well. The show does place a lot of emphasis on a north/south divide and seeing the northern House Stark going up against the distinctly southern House Lannister provides a great contrast and helps the viewers know which side everyone is on."

It's not just fantasy that has developed a British accent default setting, even for American audiences. For ancient Greece and Rome - as seen in everything from Spartacus to HBO/BBC's Rome series - audiences again expect UK accents. One has only to cast one's mind back to Joaquin Phoenix's accent in Gladiator for a classic example.

Some have a simple explanation for the British invasion of fantasy land - Kevin Costner.

Although not strictly part of the genre, his US/British accent in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was so jarring, and out of historical context, that it stood as a warning to all future directors. Or so the theory goes.

Martin has said English accents work best for fantasy, as the genre is rooted in the Middle Ages.

"It's full of castles and lords and swords and knights and all the other trappings that we associate with England in this country. It seems natural. It would be hard to do with a group of actors who had thick Southern accents," he has commented.

"You would think why not just film it in the states with famous American actors, especially since George RR Martin, who wrote the books originally, has been called the American Tolkien? You would think this is an American thing," says Dan Wright, producer of UK-based Game of Thrones fan show Thronecast.

"But originally the books were sourced and based around at least a working knowledge of British history, the War of the Roses and things like that, and that certainly comes out in the way the royal family is structured and that sort of thing."

But Game of Thrones is on a premium cable channel. There is still a long way to go before British actors are allowed to use their own accents on network television in mainstream roles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #45
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Three words: WINTER IS COMING.

I'm so happy this show is back on!!
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #46
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Craster, for me, was far too young and hearty. I also wasn't sold on Stannis who I felt needed to be larger but I loved Davos. And Melisandre was perfection.

I adore the Imp. He's the reason I savor that show. He's got heart and isn't afraid to show it.

Can't wait for more!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #47
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

Thanked 21,374 Times in 6,724 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Really enjoyed the first episode altho it wasn't nearly long enough
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #48
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedivahrrrself View Post
Three words: WINTER IS COMING.
qft

I am seriously hyped as shit that it's back on. I watched the first two episodes today. Loved The Night Lands as things start to get rolling again

For those looking to watch it online, two words: Pirate Bay
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #49
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

i thought it was pretty funny (and awesome) that the second episode got leaked...but it just means i have to wait longer for the third one! lol
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #50
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah, I was so excited to watch the second season that when I saw there was more than one available already I readily watched them both. But then it was a buzz kill at the end to realise that that only means I have to wait until next week for another episode, lol. Ah well. I'm just happy it doesn't seem like there will be any huge gaps again between episodes this season. I really hate when good series do that and you have more than a month to wait for a new episode. If GoT started doing that I'd die of impatience.

On a side note, the scene between Arya and Gendry in The Night Lands was hilariously done. I still think she was one of the best cast characters.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #51
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

wow, I am so envious some were able to view the 2nd episode..how lucky!..evenso looking forward to tomorrow part 2
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #52
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
wow, I am so envious some were able to view the 2nd episode..how lucky!..evenso looking forward to tomorrow part 2
And you can, too, if you embrace pirate bay as your friend But then it's airing tomorrow night, so I guess it's not as worth it as it was a few days ago, lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #53
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
And you can, too, if you embrace pirate bay as your friend But then it's airing tomorrow night, so I guess it's not as worth it as it was a few days ago, lol.
oMg, i am goggling that to see what that is all about! Thanks!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #54
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

watching s2e2 stirring..
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #55
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

watching episode five...i'm amazed at how much they've deviated from the books, especially with margaery tyrell's character, but i guess it is more sensationalist for tv this way. and natalie dormer played a similar role in the tudors, so it would fit well here.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #56
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

They have deviated from the books. But I wonder if it isn't, for the most part, because there are so many characters in the book with back story that can't be conveyed in ten hours of TV. I wonder if the writers aren't trying to mash together scenes to make it coherent for the audience. As well as spice it up a bit. There was never the love making scene between Renly and her where she offers her brother to be in the room. I was waiting for that in the book... nope. Renly died. I thought it would have made interesting reading.

I am glad I am reading the books as it does fill in the obvious holes in character motivation and back story. Just about finished book 2. It has been so many years since I have read fiction, well a long book fiction, that it took me a long time to get back into the swing of reading for fun and not for learning... (derail end)

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #57
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

yeah, i definitely understand why they've deviated from the books and they've done it in really interesting ways, so i'm not holding it against them (i was kind of obsessed with the books for a decade before this came out, so i'm one of those slightly nitpicky people.) i do think it might present interesting problems since the book series isn't completed yet...assuming they decide to do all seven seasons, once books six and seven are completed it'll be interesting to see if that throws any wrenches in the works based on how they change the storylines.

i am realllly glad they've simplified some of the character roles and cut out/merged extraneous characters. (though, really, i think they should have left asha greyjoy's name as asha instead of changing it to yara. but i just really like the name.)
The Following User Says Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #58
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

Default Haven't..

read the books yet, i'm afraid to. [ lol ] because i don't want to pick apart the series, which [i think], is incredibly good..and the plot twists seem to work well even with the deviations..my favorite characters are Bran and Osha, and their repartee.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #59
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

Default Who do you think..

has those dragons?!??
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #60
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

I also wonder if they've not deviated from the book to throw off fans, so at least there are some surprises instead of just seeing the series shortened on screen. Because at the end of the last episode I was like
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: