Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #41
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
We see each other friday through sunday.... I have a whole lotta time in between. Thank goodness, at least that 's out in the open now.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
See honey, we are having a reality tv-like moment right now in front of everyone.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #43
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
See honey, we are having a reality tv-like moment right now in front of everyone.
Yeah, I figured I should do something to entertain Belle to make up for judging her and all....

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yeah, I figured I should do something to entertain Belle to make up for judging her and all....
You DID entertain me. As a matter of fact....

It was like watching our own little reality TV show with queers et al from BFP.

Hey.....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
Bleu

How Do You Identify?:
Bleu

Thanked 2,700 Times in 733 Posts
Bleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
And we are learning things AND being entertained... it's a win-win.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bleu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #46
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,620 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

Do not mess with the Brady's....I loved that show growing up. And the Beav...and Andy Griffith. I am So Aunt Bea as I get older...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Isn't it better in a way to watch real people then to watch the Brady Bunch and leave it to Beaver and all these sanitized scripts?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #47
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

i didn't watch tv today. the lady vols didn't play. they play next sunday, ... and the game will be telecast. this is of great importance to me. just sharing.

but yeah, i roll like that. i miss days. i don't watch tv every day.

i'm out of the loop. i really am. on purpose. i did not even know who the kardashians were until last year. and honey boo boo a couple months ago, ... i've never watched the show. i've never watched survivor. american idol. the voice. etc. the one show that comes to mind that i absolutely dislike watching the advertising for, ... i've never watched the show, ... is dance moms. i'm not a big fan of reality. well, not some one else's reality. especially when they are getting paid for it and my reality is not. so i just lust.

i watch what i watch. sometimes it's reality. sometimes it's just dirtysweet.

p.s. i just remembered. i did watch frosty the snowman on youtube.

Last edited by macele; 12-09-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: because i can!
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #48
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,620 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I watch some reality shows as well. But I was referring to those shows that are debasing to someone or a group of someones. HoneyBoo Boo comes to mind immediately. Another one was the Fear Factor. Eating reindeer balls, having 200 spiders crawl all over you. There is an adolescent one (or damn close to it) about some kid who does all these dangerous stunts. Come on. Really? A simple "dont do these at home" isnt enough warning. If he can do it, kids think they can too.

The reality shows I like are Oddities, Storage Wars, and Pawn Stars. I hated Flavor Fav and his campaign to find a GF. But then I detest all the Bachelor, Bachelorette shows. Cattle calls. As does Millionare Matchmaker. Its not any different just because the featured person is privelaged with money.

television is a main tool of socialization, and it does pass along a culture's beliefs and values, and therefor can and does create new ones. Dont think so? Think of Jennifer Aniston's haircuts. On a deeper level, Ellen D's bookstore sitcom changed our culture forever. Why do you think there were/are so many groups opposed to allowing homosexuality on tv? Because once its on there as an approved and accepted lifestyle, its only a matter of time before it becomes an entrenched cultural value.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #49
Bleu

How Do You Identify?:
Bleu

Thanked 2,700 Times in 733 Posts
Bleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
I watch some reality shows as well. But I was referring to those shows that are debasing to someone or a group of someones. HoneyBoo Boo comes to mind immediately. Another one was the Fear Factor. Eating reindeer balls, having 200 spiders crawl all over you. There is an adolescent one (or damn close to it) about some kid who does all these dangerous stunts. Come on. Really? A simple "dont do these at home" isnt enough warning. If he can do it, kids think they can too.

The reality shows I like are Oddities, Storage Wars, and Pawn Stars. I hated Flavor Fav and his campaign to find a GF. But then I detest all the Bachelor, Bachelorette shows. Cattle calls. As does Millionare Matchmaker. Its not any different just because the featured person is privelaged with money.

television is a main tool of socialization, and it does pass along a culture's beliefs and values, and therefor can and does create new ones. Dont think so? Think of Jennifer Aniston's haircuts. On a deeper level, Ellen D's bookstore sitcom changed our culture forever. Why do you think there were/are so many groups opposed to allowing homosexuality on tv? Because once its on there as an approved and accepted lifestyle, its only a matter of time before it becomes an entrenched cultural value.
I agree and I think this is how in a way it is a form of art, shaping and changing the way people feel and think and SEE. Ellen D's bookstore is a perfect example.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bleu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #50
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Isn't it better in a way to watch real people then to watch the Brady Bunch and leave it to Beaver and all these sanitized scripts?
Nope. I think it's six of one and half a dozen of another. Both present unrealistic images. Maybe the reality TV stuff is a little worse because kids these days aren't watching anything Mayberry. They're watching what's on the air now and, for the most part, it's teaching younger generations how to act like big ole posturing jerks or that girls are just to look pretty and have big boobs or that money is what is important in life.

Except Judge Judy. I join the bandwagon for her. She tells it how it is, so her style of reality TV is more like a reality check on TV.

Quote:
Reality shows BB refuses to watch with me under any circumstances: Wife Swap, Trading Spouses, Real Housewives, and My Shopping Addiction
I'm totally with BB on all of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
You DID entertain me. As a matter of fact....

It was like watching our own little reality TV show with queers et al from BFP.

Hey.....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!

No.

I see your wheels. If they spin any faster, you will combust.

*stern look*

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #51
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
Television has had a hand in influencing our society from it's inception. What is different now? I wonder how many women were influenced by June Cleaver? How many people thought blending two families may be as uncomplicated as the Brady Bunch? Talk about debasing.... my mother thought I Love Lucy was the worst show ever because of the way Lucy acted to get what she wanted.... she thought it was insulting to women. We weren't allowed to watch it. (We would sneak it because we loved it) Yet, look at how beloved that show is and Lucy is.

I was influenced by a lot of television shows from the 70s and 80s.

And games shows of the past.... The gong show, the Dating Game, Hollywood Squares....Embarrassing? Debasing? Influential? All reality Shows in a sense. People getting on television for their 15 minutes of fame and saying and doing whatever would keep them there. (I loved Hollywood Squares because of the racy chatter of the "squares".)

And talk about racy, what about the Newlywed Game? Yowza
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #52
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Television has had a hand in influencing our society from it's inception. What is different now? I wonder how many women were influenced by June Cleaver? How many people thought blending two families may be as uncomplicated as the Brady Bunch? Talk about debasing.... my mother thought I Love Lucy was the worst show ever because of the way Lucy acted to get what she wanted.... she thought it was insulting to women. We weren't allowed to watch it. (We would sneak it because we loved it) Yet, look at how beloved that show is and Lucy is.

I was influenced by a lot of television shows from the 70s and 80s.

And games shows of the past.... The gong show, the Dating Game, Hollywood Squares....Embarrassing? Debasing? Influential? All reality Shows in a sense. People getting on television for their 15 minutes of fame and saying and doing whatever would keep them there. (I loved Hollywood Squares because of the racy chatter of the "squares".)

And talk about racy, what about the Newlywed Game? Yowza
True dat. Remember the word whoopie they used instead of the word sex? As if renaming it made it better somehow and we younger folks in the audience didn't have sense to know what they were talking about?

And Gemme, you know me too well. I will topstay on the planned show for the lanetplay.

I loved Lucy. Ha. But i did. I can be her at times, ok more than times, i am her a lot, so i'm told. More than once.

As we know, there is a whole thread or two on the June Cleaver shows and how they affected us.

Did anyone ever watch Dark Shadows? It was, i think, the first soap opera, or one of the first. I believe it was in black and white (showing my age here) but my mom would watch it every afternoon when i was a wee one and i got into it as well. A vampire soap opera. It was great. I know there is now a movie based off of it. I need to watch that...it's on my list.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #53
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Speaking of Reality T.V. ...........

This was random. I came upon this today when reading morning news. Apparently a U.S. Senator from West Virginia says "Enough." Buckwild is a new show about Appalachia. The article says "Appalachia with a Jersey Shore twist."

Senator urges MTV to pull the plug on 'Buckwild' series, calling it a 'travesty'

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...-travesty?lite
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #54
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

i've never wanted to be like june cleaver or mr. cleaver. i may have found myself being jealous of shows at times, like say of their material things or the way their families bonded so well. growing up, i found a lot of television to be make believe.

that very well could be how reality tv evolved.

Last edited by macele; 12-10-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: because i can!
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #55
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syr View Post
I have not had a television in 10 years. It is a mind sucking, poor replacement for life. That is just my opinion. I have friends who complain of the things they need to do, say how bored and dissatisfied they are........and then tell me about the 4 hours they spent watching tv.......

I agree with this BUT I also really enjoy TV. I love reality TV. I hate shit like Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras because I think this shit exploits children.

My mind is pretty expansive and I have huge responsibilities. Nothing pulls me out into a nothing zone quite like TV. Ok, maybe meditation but its different. But I don't feel like i need to sit in front of it every night. I also don't feel I need to be online drowning in social media. Everyone has their own form of relaxation. Then again I'd love a good distraction any day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #56
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default I watch..

Ink Master
MasterChef
Top Chef
Iron Chef (prefer the Japanese broadcast)
Celebrity Ghost Stories
In The Life
Hotel Impossible
The Layover
Nova
Taboo
Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition
Antiques Roadshow
Kitchen Nightmare's
Mystery Diner's
Explorer

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #57
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Buckwild.....

I saw a clip of this and just shook my head
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #58
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
This was random. I came upon this today when reading morning news. Apparently a U.S. Senator from West Virginia says "Enough." Buckwild is a new show about Appalachia. The article says "Appalachia with a Jersey Shore twist."

Senator urges MTV to pull the plug on 'Buckwild' series, calling it a 'travesty'

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...-travesty?lite
This show is really loving the controversy. When it happened to Jersey Shore it actually increased the ratings. I'm not crazy about the show but I love Snookie! She's such a cute little train wreck.

But this Buckwild show is going to create big media buzz, get a lot of free advertising and its most likely going to be stupid. It almost reminds me of those stupid guys from Jackass.

I love all the Real Housewives. Lately Miami is my fav. I love Top Chef, Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. Actually there are quite a few Food Network shows I love.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #59
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

..... interesting thread......
the shows i watch
Chef Ramsey's shows .. im a big fan..
pawn stars
judge judy ... she is tough
judge mathis ... i like his sarcastic sense of humor

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #60
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not a huge fan of reality television, shock jock radio or "entertainment news" - generally. Almost all of those shows make me uncomfortably embarrassed for the people participating in them. I can't even watch the 'Amazing Race', which is a great concept, because the amount of xenophobia that many of the contestants spew every time they're in a foreign culture makes me cringe and change the channel.

Don't even get me started on "real housewives" or "mob wives" or the Kardasians... or the billion dollar birthday parties for pre-teens ... or the spray tanned children ... What do those shows say about how we view women? And children? And what our values are?

...But that's me. they make *me* really uncomfortable.

I don't begrudge anyone the right to decide which shows to watch, books to read, magazines to buy, radio stations to listen to. BUT I do believe that we perpetuate it by "buying it". For example, the paparazzi only exists because magazines pay $100s of $1000s for photos of public figures, and magazines only pay that much for a single photo because those photos sell magazines.

I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying shows or magazines or internet sites - but make no mistake your choice to participate as a consumer is not negligible, your participation is counted, it does impact what type of television shows are made, how far a photographer will go for a shot, how outrageous a act has to be in order to gardner audiences - it impacts what policies are in place and where the boundaries are...

The "entertainment news" industry is colossal and a multi-headed Hydra.

Murdoch himself has taken a huge hit in the past couple of years, his empire is starting to fall to pieces from the phone-tap scandals, but there are no lack of morally bankrupt media outlets ready to fill the gap.

The prank call that precipitated this tragedy was incredibly distasteful and indicative of how dehumanizing the "cult of celebrity" has become.

The radio hosts should be deeply ashamed of themselves because not only did they successfully invade the privacy of a person at a very vulnerable point in her life; they also acted with utter disregard, and a total lack of respect, for the medical professionals with whom they were speaking... all in the name of entertainment. All for a joke. Their act was distasteful and ill conceived and they should be held accountable for some of the blame for this loss of life.

Both of the nurses involved in the prank call would have been in serious trouble both legally and professionally. The UK does have very stringent laws (equivalent to HIPPA) surrounding patient confidentiality and access to health records. Those laws were violated. Their professional credentials and livelihoods would have been on the line, not just their jobs at that hospital. And while the nurse who killed herself may not have disclosed the information regarding the morning sickness she would have been complicit by the very act of passing the call on to another colleague (an admission that the Duchess was a patient). Beyond the legal violations of disclosing personal health information - the hospital administration would have been publicly embarrassed, they would be in the news for all the wrong reasons, they would have likely lost the patronage of the Royal Family, they would be facing legal fines for the disclosure, and it is quite possible that portions of their funding could be on the line because of the scandal; the hospital administration would have been looking to take swift and severe action against the staff involved.

I think there should be no doubt that this nurse would have been under considerable personal stress at the time she took her life.

Tags
gossip tv, killers, murder, reality tv, talk radio