How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

started the revolution will not be funded, edited by incite! women of color against violence. and the new jim crow: mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness by michelle alexander.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1462
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #1463
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my scorpio boo bear.

Thanked 32,029 Times in 9,961 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I have been reading from several authors (Swedish or Danish, by origin) but I guess what I miss reading the most or perhaps even miss in face to face conversations is unvarnished, completely transparent exchange of ideas between people who might agree or tend to disagree; but certainly I miss the verbal or textual exchange in an unvarnished format.

That's not to say I miss ugliness or language that pushes the envelope of incivility. What I mean is that it would be nice to read or participate in an exchange of ideas or dreams or whatever in unvarnished ways.

That's what I miss the most: when reading here or there or anywhere
(conversations included, too).
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #1464
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

10 more days until the library summer program ends!

Now reading:
Farther Away - Jonathan Franzen
Favorite passage in the book so far, "If you dedicate your existence to being likable, however, and if you adopt whatever cool persona is necessary to make it happen, it suggests that you've despaired of being loved for who you really are. And if you succeed in manipulating other people into liking you, it will be hard not to feel, at some level, contempt for those people, because they've fallen for your shtick. Those people exist to make you feel good about yourself, but how good can your feeling be when it's provided by people you don't respect?"
Buddhism for Beginners - Thubten Chodron

and two in the kitchen for a little light summer canning:
175 best Jams, Jellies, Marmalades - Linda Amendt

Pickles to Relish - Beverly Alfeld (her full name is longer than the title)
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1465
Daktari

Just got a Kindle today and can't decide whether to start the first of the Hunger Games trilogy

Lost London - Richard Guard
A Race for Madmen - Chris Sidwells (non-fiction about Tour de France)
The Stranger's Child - Allan Hollinghurst

or

The first in the Marketplace series - Laura Antoniou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #1466
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,691 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default 50 Shades of Grey trio of books

Am enjoying this set of books...a gift to me...smiles....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1467
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

"In One Person", by John Irving.

Funny, well-written and interesting. How can you beat that?
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1468
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara View Post
About to start The Difference Engine.
I got this book for Kindle after seeing your post and I'm curious about how you liked it. I liked it a lot- but the charm is definitely in the details.

Right now I'm reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson. It's hysterical.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1469
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

starship troopers - robert a. heinlein

i have to admit - for a book written in 1960 it still reads very modern
and i totally get why the odd man at the va hospital was so keen to recommend it
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #1470
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Wow, I ran into the author that I wrote about below whose book I loved so much in my local natural food store today! I got excited in the way others might if they ran into Lady Gaga or Obama! I admit that I said nothing memorable or witty. I simply GUSHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I read two great books, both of which I strongly recommend.

1) The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt by Jon-Jon Goulian

This is a memoir by a quirky brilliant hilarious genderqueer. A real stand out! If you've ever felt like a misfit but followed your own path anyway and laughed at yourself to keep the sadness from overtaking you, you'll love this book! It's truly a unique read!

Amazon.com: The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt (9781400068111): Jon-Jon Goulian: Books
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #1471
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

"Introduction to Criminal Justice". One chapter left and I'm done with this class, thank GAWD!

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #1472
SoulShineFemme

How Do You Identify?:
All girl. All the time.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Married to my beloved ONLY

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,363 Times in 455 Posts
SoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm just getting started on Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich. It's light and refreshing after a particularly exhaustive book I finally finished about the possibility of finding Atlantis.
SoulShineFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoulShineFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #1473
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Please Kill Me: The uncensored oral history of punk.
by Legs McNeil & Gillian McCaine
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #1474
sara-bera

How Do You Identify?:
female

Thanked 2,859 Times in 739 Posts
sara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputationsara-bera Has the BEST Reputation

A gigantic book of short erotic fiction.
sara-bera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sara-bera For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #1475
calibri

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

calibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputationcalibri Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading "Start Where You Are" by Pema Chodron, which is a wonderful Buddhist text that benefits from having some background knowledge but is still very accessible if you don't know much about it. Highly recommended - it will enrich you and possibly change your life, whilst NOT being another vague self-help book.

I've always loved fiction, but I learn so much from non-fiction that I find I'm drawn to it more often
calibri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calibri For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1476
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm on a Sookie Stackhouse spree- finished From Dead to Worse, now reading Dead and Gone. I haven't been a big fan of Charlaine Harris' writing- I've mostly stuck with the books because I like the HBO series so much (and things are so whacked out on THAT show right now I thought maybe the books might shed some light...but, um, no.). Anyway, I noticed the writing in From Dead to Worse, and the one after seemed better- the jokes were less forced and less corny, there were more cool pop culture references, and all the characters felt like they fit together a bit more seamlessly. I began to wonder if maybe From Dead to Worse was the first of the book series to be written after the HBO series began, and sure enough, yes...it was. It's almost like Charlaine Harris has seen now seen the edgier style of the show, and has adjusted her writing to match it. Interesting concept, really.

I also finished Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. Fantastic book... validating, at least for this introvert. Lots of details of psychological studies, with a fair amount of neurobiology thrown in, as well as the author's personal anecdotes. If you've ever sat in class getting annoyed by the talkative students who aren't actually adding anything worthwhile to the class discussion, or if you'd like some pointers on how to maximize your own quiet strengths, this book is for you.

Next up: The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, As Written by Our Genetic Code by Sam Kean.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #1477
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Self Quoting Faux Pas

Ok, quoting my own, but who cares, right?

I'm tickled that the library just received a copy of Adrienne Rich's Dream of a Common Language! Heading to the library today to check it out before anyone else. How nerdy am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
10 more days until the library summer program ends!

Now reading:
Farther Away - Jonathan Franzen
Favorite passage in the book so far, "If you dedicate your existence to being likable, however, and if you adopt whatever cool persona is necessary to make it happen, it suggests that you've despaired of being loved for who you really are. And if you succeed in manipulating other people into liking you, it will be hard not to feel, at some level, contempt for those people, because they've fallen for your shtick. Those people exist to make you feel good about yourself, but how good can your feeling be when it's provided by people you don't respect?"
Buddhism for Beginners - Thubten Chodron

and two in the kitchen for a little light summer canning:
175 best Jams, Jellies, Marmalades - Linda Amendt

Pickles to Relish - Beverly Alfeld (her full name is longer than the title)
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #1478
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Wow, one of my favorite authors, David Rakoff, a gay humor/political writer (similar to the style of David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs) just died at age 47. I'm so very sad about this. I would not only read his writing but listen to him read it on the radio and on CDs. The death of an author we love is it's own grief, and a deep one at that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/bo....html?emc=eta1
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1479
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #1480
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,623 Times in 3,977 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

some circus book..its about real magic. Its fiction. Its good. Its new.

Tags
books, reading