Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where I'm from......

I thought this might be a fun way to "get to know" each other via our surroundings or home towns. Post follies or foibles or really neat stuff about where you are from!

Where I'm from, hotdogs are a primary cuisine. Signs for 2/$1 are posted on lighted marquis' at every gas station/ conv. store you pass. You can see vintage cars with guys decked out in their best overalls lining up at lunch time!

We're going to make a coffee table book called "Hillbilly's Hot Dogs and Hot Rods"
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Where I'm from (or where I'm living right now), you can't shake a stick and not hit a BBQ place. You've got BBQ in gas stations, grocery stores, upscale and down-home places.

And everyone has the BEST BBQ of course. You can get it dry, wet, spicy, sweet on chicken, beef, pork or brisket.

And yes, brisket is its own food group--why do you look at me that way?
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation
Default It's Deer Season

Where I'm from it's deer season,and since we have some of the best hunting places in the Mid-state,there are pickup trucks,and ATV's and lotsa dudes and ladies running around in more camouflage than you will ever see outside of a Bass Pro Shop! So if you are gonna be in the woods here,and you AIN'T hunting,wear lotsa blaze orange and sing at the top of your lungs!!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I was born in Uvalde, TX ~ Home of John Nance Garner (VP) and Dale Evans Rogers......

I moved to Austin when I was 4 and don't remember having lived anywhere else before that. I've had the same phone number for 53 years.....

When I graduated from high school, I left for college, but now I am once again living in the home in which I grew up. The term "full circle" comes to mind. <smile>

The slogan for Austin is "Keep Austin Weird"........and there are serious efforts to do just that.....I love it here....

My memories and observations....Barton Springs ~ a 'swimming hole' that is fed by an underground springs and is a constant 70 degrees year-round. It's huge....

Laguna Gloria...a wonderful and quaint art museum....been around a long time.

Of course, no mention of Austin would be complete without mentioning Leslie Cochran, Austin's most famous street person. Leslie wears women's clothing and is very outspoken against police treatment of the homeless. He was recently pretty beaten up when he tried to warn some kids about the dangers of drug abuse. All sorts of folks donated toward his medical bills. He is an Austin iconic figure and is often seen wearing a leopard thong and pumps....sometimes, he carries his cat around on his shoulders. He's a trip. The guy has no teeth, but by God, he has a bluetooth!

There's 6th Street.....restaurants and bars and neat shops....and when there's a festival, it is usually held on 6th Street. It's festive!

The historic Driskill Hotel.....built in the late 1800's by a cattle rancher (I think that's right)...it's lovely to be sure.....

And if you have little holes in your yard, you can pretty much bet on the fact that you've been visited by the armadillos! And if you scare them and they feel they can't get away from you, they will roll up in a ball! No joke. Oh. They also stink.

Did I mention Museum of the Weird? Which, of course is located behind The Lucky Lizard Curio Shop...... go figure!

And Cathedral of Junk......oh my God! LOL! It IS a religious experience! He puts on plays in the back.....there's a "tree house" built of his junk....2-3 stories tall with every toy from your childhood you can possibly imagine....too funny!

Ok.....well....there are sane things here, too.....Town Lake ~ now Lady Bird Lake ~ is actually the Colorado River which runs through the center of town....beautiful.

Austin is amazing. No two ways about it! While we did have The Shrub as our governor....we've also had the amazing, Harley-drivin' Ann Richards! And in our upcoming governor's race, we have Kinky Friedman on the democratic ticket.....

I know.

Keeping Austin Weird.........

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Where I'm from (originally), time slows down. Waaaaaay down. People talk with a drawl but YOU are the one with the accent. Brick homes reign supreme. You eat supper not dinner. Going to the local buffet means an impromptu family reunion. There is cornbread (REAL cornbread, not this Jiffy crap they have up here) and REAL BBQ (not the watered down versions up here) and it's an insult not to finish your plate and ask for more. National cell towers can't find it. The roads are lined with trees aged through decades upon decades and they bow their tops in respect to you, reminding you to do the same of your elders.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,879 Times in 2,477 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Where I'm from (originally), time slows down. Waaaaaay down. People talk with a drawl but YOU are the one with the accent. Brick homes reign supreme. You eat supper not dinner. Going to the local buffet means an impromptu family reunion. There is cornbread (REAL cornbread, not this Jiffy crap they have up here) and REAL BBQ (not the watered down versions up here) and it's an insult not to finish your plate and ask for more. National cell towers can't find it. The roads are lined with trees aged through decades upon decades and they bow their tops in respect to you, reminding you to do the same of your elders.
LOL.....Gemme, where I come from, we call sweet corn bread (like that icky Jiffy mix) "Yankee Corn Bread". That stuff is more like cake!!!

Corn bread is cooked in a cast iron skillet, has a crunchy bottom and is really really tasty when "cracklin'" (little bits of crispy bacon) is added. Some people like to add jalepenos, but I'm not too fond of spicy things, myself....except women.

Cheers to you, Southern Lady!!!

~Theo~ .....proud to be Southern.
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

I was born in Oklahoma City, which is ......

OKC is the biggest city in the state

It became the state capital in 1910

The first ever parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City in 1935

The first ever shopping cart was invented and used in Oklahoma City at Standard Food Markets in 1937

The Oklahoma City bombing of April 19, 1995 is the considered the largest domestic terrorist attack in the nation's history. According to the FBI, "domestic" refers to the individual or group behind the attacks rather than their location. It was the largest terrorist attack on U.S. soil until the events of September 11, 2001

National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is located in OKC and has many events going on all year round ( I have never been and I wanna go the next time I visit)
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
LOL.....Gemme, where I come from, we call sweet corn bread (like that icky Jiffy mix) "Yankee Corn Bread". That stuff is more like cake!!!

Corn bread is cooked in a cast iron skillet, has a crunchy bottom and is really really tasty when "cracklin'" (little bits of crispy bacon) is added. Some people like to add jalepenos, but I'm not too fond of spicy things, myself....except women.

I love cracklin bread! My Granny used to make it!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post

Many Cajuns and Southern black folk like their cornbread sweet, and it ain't out of the package when they make it. Just saying.

Um, I love a crunchy bottom
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Subscribing because I must get to work sometime this morning. What a neat thread. I want to read the whole thing.

I'm in Southern California, and well,...off to work 4 now.
BBL>
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
There is cornbread (REAL cornbread, not this Jiffy crap they have up here)

where i come from...the jiffy mix plant is right down the road in chelsea

where i come from...the streets downtown are not passable 6 saturdays from late august through mid november because of home football games (GO BLUE!!)...

where i come from we have zingermans deli www.zingermans.com

the home base of dominos pizza is here...

the largest juried art fair in the US is held here where i come from...

there is a week in early september called "move in week" when the students come back to town after their summer break...locals HATE move in week!!..truth be told...locals aren't too crazy about the students any week of the year! lol!!

skeet

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Where I come from, many of the streets downtown are made of cobblestone..
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,783 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am from, you are either going "up north" or "downstate." You are either a "Yooper" (live in the Upper Peninsula or U.P. or Yoop, thus Yooper) or a "troll" (because you live in the Lower Peninsula, below the Mackinac Bridge, thus you live under the bridge and are a troll). We call tourists in the northern part of the state "fudgies" because they often frequent the many fudge shops. You often use your right hand as a map of half the state and point to where you are from, if you were born in the Lower Peninsula. You can kind of use your left hand as the Upper Peninsula. Where I am from (northern Michigan), most schools close on the opening day of deer hunting season because so many teachers and students call in sick so they can go hunting. Where I am from, it can snow as early as October and as late as April or May. Where I am from, Canadian coins are accepted as change and given as change just like American coins, except for the Loonie...we don't take the Loonie. Where I am from, you either eat your coney dogs Flint style or Detroit style. And always with mustard and onions. In fact, that's the only time I put mustard on a hotdog.

Where I am from, my little hometown on the shores of Lake Huron, it is not unusual to hear a little Polish at a certain butcher shop because the butcher knows Polish to talk to some of the older customers, some of whom still feel more comfortable talking what they grew up talking (Polish). So, you sometimes hear "Dzien dobry" in the morning. In my hometown, there is a restaurant attached to the bowling alley (hey, the population is only 4500) that usually serves an all-Polish food buffet on Thursdays. All you can eat - $6, and that includes the duck blood soup. In my hometown, people buy their meats at the butcher, not at the grocery market. And there are two outstanding butcher shops for such a small town. In my hometown, there was a radio program every Saturday morning on the local radio station that was dedicated to playing Polish folk music and polkas for two hours. The man who hosted it recently died, so I think the show will die too...and that makes me sad. In my hometown, there are essentially two churches -- Catholic and Lutheran. My town is almost evenly divided between the churches and between Polish and German ancestry (I am half and half). On Christmas Eve, the Catholic Church has a 6 p.m. Mass and the schoolchildren from the Catholic school sing Christmas carols in Polish and the little old Polish ladies (who still wear scarves or kerchiefs on their heads at church) sing along in Polish too.

Fun thread.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,879 Times in 2,477 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, right now I live in Las Vegas, and I don't have to tell very many folks what "Lost Wages" is like. I think a lot....maybe too many...people think they know what Vegas is like, based on what they've seen on The Strip. It's not like that for locals, though, as most of us make a concerted effort to NOT venture down there unless we have to or have guests visiting or wanting to see it. You have to see it, at least once in your life.

The local scenario is very different from the tourist experience. Once you get out of the Strip/downtown area, the city itself is very livable and pleasant. It's almost like any other relatively large sized city in the United States. Nearly everyone in Vegas is from somewhere else, so the shopping and atmosphere is rather eclectic. We even have a Chinatown!!! For me, however, my own "space" tends to be more centered around my family, my work and the military culture, since I live and work near/at Nellis Air Force Base, which is home to the Thunderbirds, which is the premier jet demonstration team of the Air Force (I'm partial to the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels, however, being a Marine), so there's a lot of air activity out where I live. It's severely hot (temps sometimes exceed 110 F) here in the summer and very comfortable (50's and 60's) in the winter months and in the past years, VERY dry with only a scant amount of rainfall. The only really significant problem we have here, as far as the environment (other than the current drought), is the smog and dusty air quality. We do get a lot of the smoke from California when they have had those devastating fires in the past few years, and since Vegas has been one of the boom towns during the inflation of the housing "bubble", we have had a bad problem with the dust. I had never, prior to moving to Las Vegas, been hospitalized for my asthma, but have since had two admissions for severe exacerbations.

I've been living in Vegas for 9 years now, but I'm originally from "The Hostess City of the South", Savannah, Georgia. I'm very, very proud to claim Savannah as my hometown and am still considering returning home when I retire from civil service and after my parents are no longer living. I miss that beautiful city, the "low country", steeped in graceful history, the laid back living and genteel flavor. I miss the smells of the salt marshes and the muddy oyster beds. I miss the fishing, crabbing and shrimping that occupied my summers when I was growing up. I miss seeing people smile and nod at each other and the way the Southern people take such pride in their manners and in treating strangers like family. It is the way I was raised and it is still a part of me. I also miss the "comfort food" of the South and a good plate of fried oysters, slaw and batter-dipped fries. I miss a good ol' fashioned "Low Country Boil" (a mixture of crab, shrimp, crawfish, corn on the cob, potatoes, onions, Kielbasa sausage, with seasonings, all boiled together in a pot). I miss the moss hanging from the knarled 100+ year old oak trees in the city. I miss sweet iced tea and the soft spoken "lowcountry" drawls that you hear from natives of Savannah and Charleston, SC.....two graceful sister cities by the sea. In short, I just miss home.

Okay, I'll quit, because I'm now so homesick, I wanna bawl!!!! LOL

~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am from is a small town in northern CA a old cornish mining town about as small town as it gets lots of open spaces room to gorw and breathe kind of like watching history past old west fighting the intrusion of the modern age suits me I just did not know it then. I miss fishing in the creek with my grandpa hikng in the snow watching the horses run in the neighbors field. going with my dad and stepmother to her parents ranch to help with the calves lol and my dad putting me on the back of one to see how long I could ride it. so I see I ran from what I already had and now spent years trying to get back to it
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
so I see I ran from what I already had and now spent years trying to get back to it
Ah Bard, but you needed to be the person you are today, and that person had to grow through other experiences. I don't think it's ever a mistake to expand our experience of life... even though I totally get how frustrating it can be to need to get back to where we started! I would SOOO move to the country--or at least a very small town--in a heartbeat if only I could.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am from, the median income is around 22,000. There are few jobs to be had and depression both financially and emotionally runs deeper than the veins of coal in the mountains.

We do have a hella lotta heart here though and as much as things never change, they never stay the same either.

We just returned home a bit ago from a meeting with the boys guidance teachers and his classroom teachers. As some of you know, he has been in a "special" school for the past five or so years, with his teachers there saying he would never be able to be mainstreamed.

When we enrolled him, we were very straightforward about who we are as a couple and as his very involved and active parents. We have been nothing but welcomes graciously by his teachers and all of the staff at the school we have encountered.

The schools in our little county, while working with a shoestring budget ( as most are across the country) have been winners of National awards for teaching excellence. From what I have seen, they deserve it!

Our boy is making A's and B's mainstreamed with very few allowances made for his different ability. He is excelling in his classes and making friends and being outgoing. I simply could not be more proud! ( Well,maybe if he would bathe and clean his room.. LOL )

I agree with Bard and Bit, that sometimes going away and coming "home" makes a huge difference in how we view what is really important. For me, it's my family. Even if home is tucked away under a foothill of an old mountain covered in red clay.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation
Default this is what I'm talkin about!!

christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #19
CrankyOldGuy

How Do You Identify?:
Just the right amount of wrong
Preferred Pronoun?:
[sic] Basturd
Relationship Status:
She turns my crank

CrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST ReputationCrankyOldGuy Has the BEST Reputation

....it is illegal to delay or detain a homing pigeon!

"To say nothing, to do nothing, stops nothing" - Roni McCall,
Founder,
Through Their Eyes,
The National Animal Abuse Registry
CrankyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrankyOldGuy For This Useful Post: