Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default What Do You Think of TIME‘s Breastfeeding Cover?

TIME‘s newest cover image — of a woman breastfeeding her 3-year-old son — is causing quite a stir.

The magazine’s cover story addresses the issue of attachment parenting, saying that the popular method, promoted by Dr. Bill Sears, “drives some mothers to the extremes.”

But before most people have had a chance to read the actual story, they are reacting — strongly — online, on Facebook and on Twitter to the bold image of a young blonde mom nursing her son, who is standing on a chair.

“When you think of breastfeeding, you think of mothers holding their children, which was impossible with some of these older kids,” explains photographer Martin Schoeller.

“I liked the idea of having the kids standing up to underline the point that this was an uncommon situation.”

So what do you think?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

GOT MILK ?
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
SugarFemme

How Do You Identify?:
*Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

Thanked 4,463 Times in 854 Posts
SugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST Reputation

As I was looking at what you posted Kobi, I commented to my daughter that Dr. William Sears is EXACTLY who I got advice from when she was born. I too practiced attachment parenting (With the exception of the long-term breast feeding) with my daughter from the time she was born. What I got from day one was a baby who slept through the night. Was never colicky. Did not throw tantrums. Was secure in her surroundings. Maybe I was lucky. But my daughter is now almost 19 and is so "together". We have a very close and loving relationship. She is fearless and smart. Takes on challenges and is always striving for better. She is open, aware of those around her and a gentle soul. Honestly, I give a lot of the credit to Attachment Parenting. I am so glad I bought that book before she was born.

It's a shame that all people are going to see is a Mom breastfeeding her child on the cover and react before they have read the article. Attachment Parenting is SO much more than that.

I have traveled quite a bit around the world and breast feeding is nowhere viewed the same way it is in the US. It is seen as a totally natural and normal thing and they are very accomodating. And no one is offended when a woman feeds her child in public. In the States, many times people acted offended when I was feeding my daughter in public. Their problem, not mine. I was feeding my hungry child. What is more natural than that??

Last edited by SugarFemme; 05-10-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
SugarFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SugarFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Breastfeeding is natural and normal. Our culture has a disturbing view on breastfeeding. The WHO recommends breast feeding until at LEAST 2.

My motto while nursing was if you don't like it don't look. I never really covered. I covered as much as I could with my shirt but I never put a blanket over her. I was always waiting for someone to confront me but it never happened. I did get some strange looks.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,358 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
Breastfeeding is natural and normal. Our culture has a disturbing view on breastfeeding. The WHO recommends breast feeding until at LEAST 2.

My motto while nursing was if you don't like it don't look. I never really covered. I covered as much as I could with my shirt but I never put a blanket over her. I was always waiting for someone to confront me but it never happened. I did get some strange looks.
I completely agree with you.

I support every mother's right to breastfeed in public.

But there's something about the Time cover which is a little disturbing to me.

It is true that I don't know anything about attachment parenting, but

The editors did choose an image where the child seems so knowing.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Great convo

I'd like to read the article first because I, me, don't view a woman breastfeeding her child odd, I think this country has issues with a womans breasts being nothing but fun bags.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Attachment parenting can mean a lot of things. Some basics are breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, NOT doing cry-it-out, etc. Some people do some things, not others. That's just a very basic explanation.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
SugarFemme

How Do You Identify?:
*Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

SugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Here is the Attachment Parenting Website If you want Further Info

http://www.attachmentparenting.org/p...principles.php
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SugarFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Looking up "attachment parenting". Hard to know what they mean by "extreme" when you dont know what the philosophy is or what they they are espousing and why.

The cover picture itself seemed to have been deliberately staged to evoke a certain reaction.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

The cover picture itself seemed to have been deliberately staged to evoke a certain reaction.

I completely agree with you. I thought the same thing when I saw it.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Did a brief review of the theory and some of the methodology. Saw some stuff where some folks swear by it, some call it "antifeminist tryanny", some say it is unrealistic.

I dunno. Am not a parent and never aspired to be one. Just reading this stuff sucked all the energy out of me. And, I'm thinking as a 24/7-365 thing, the only thing I would be attached to is a straight jacket.

The article comes out tomorrow. Might have to go check out a copy to see what they are calling "excessive".

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

the staged photo annoyed me, the story/breastfeeding does not.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

I nursed my baby. She never spent a night in a crib, always beside me. That's where I wanted her. She never had colic. Was an amazing baby, people would remark on how intelligent she was on a daily basis. I started weaning her at a year. I then became pregnant with my son. She had to go cold turkey at 14 months. "no mo' milk" She never left my bed and 36 weeks later we had another bed mate. I nursed him for a year. We never used bottles or formula. This was right for us. This is what felt natural. I actually had a lot of negative comments from family for nursing so long and allowing them to sleep with me. It was frustrating and cut down on my dinner party list. I still did what I felt was right for us. I'm a little embarrassed to say that they were 6 and 7 before I made then sleep in their own rooms. They'd still sleep with me now if I let them. My back and sex life will not tolerate a puppy pile anymore.

There is no perfect way to parent. We all have ideas and notions of what is best. I use my intuition and logic and hope for the best. And though I breastfed I do not judge those that choose not to. It's all about what is right for YOU and YOUR child.

Personally, I would not nurse a child as old as the one shown on the magazine. I have to wonder if the mother may be the one attached to nursing more than the child.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

I personally believe some theories within the attachment parenting theory are useful but like most other things there are some things I personally disagree with such as co-sleeping but this is just my personal opinion and of course I am sure it works for others.

As for this photo on the cover. I am agitated and disappointed with Time Magazine for their poor choice. This looks as if it was intentionally done to provoke folks and of course benefit them. This is only aggravating America's lack of tolerance for breastfeeding. I will not bother to read this article and contribute to Time Magazines poor taste.

I am pro breastfeeding and don't believe it is appropriate for anyone but the mother to decide when and how a child is weaned.
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

yeah, I'm not gonna read it either.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

My first thought when viewing this, was that Time/the media have been doing the same crap for quite a long time: shaming us, mocking us and trying to make breast feeding look or be perceived as bad or perverted.

I have not read this article but i have heard a woman speak on Attachment Parenting ideas and ideology at a woman's conference at Tenova not long ago. I found it quite fascinating and a lot of it was smart parenting, imo. I didn't agree with all of it, but so what, to each his/her own. I seriously doubt that many women would breast feed a child until the age of three. I know some do but truth be known, it's nothing new. That is the only part i have a problem with.

Is this photo another form of exploitation of women? Making breastfeeding look abnormal or strange. Maybe i'm off base here, but at first glance it appears that way to me.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I breastfed my son, in public when necessary...and I totally support every woman's right to feed their child whenever and wherever they have to. After all...that is what breasts are FOR...so this stupidity about it somehow being distasteful or "obscene" for a woman to be engaging in a completely natural act is absolutely ridiculous!! That being said...I am disturbed by the cover photo. It seems it was staged to provoke a reaction and has little to do with the subject of the actual article.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
PumaJ

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Queer Feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

PumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST ReputationPumaJ Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Great cover:-) Certainly goes against the image of breasts pushed by our dominant culture:-)

I'm an advocate for natural birth (unless medically contraindicated), breastfeeding on demand, & attachment parenting.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
SugarFemme

How Do You Identify?:
*Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

Setting Attachment Parenting aside....there are many women that nurse their children until 3 due to financial issues. Sometimes, that is all those children have. It is such a touchy issue to decide what is an appropriate age for a child to be weaned. I personally see nothing wrong with it. I would not do it. But I would never judge others that do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SugarFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I'm glad I dont read time mag,Its just dosent seem right to brest feed a three year old.When I had my kids I refused to brest feed them( my choice),as for brest feeding its a persons choice...but if it must be done in public do it as privatly as possable.This is my opinion only not to rain on any one elses idea of the issue.No more to be said form me.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post: