Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Catholicism

Hi folks,

Are there any other Catholics out there? Of course there are issues of patriarchy and heterosexism in the Church itself, but what parts, if any, of Catholicism have you kept in your life and daily faith?

Belonging to a parish is hard for me as I'm queer and out. There are two parishes in town where I'd gladly belong if I could just take the plunge...

Another issue is taking the Eucharist. It's part of my tradition that I find very important, but there are no options besides taking the Blood of Christ for celiacs at present. If I belonged to a parish, there may be something I could do to work things out, but belonging to a parish also means being an out queer, and that's another story!

So here I am, trying to take the lessons of social justice, God's love and a devotion to Our Mother with me as I limp through faith... what's your story?

<3
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Me

My Catholocism is ingrained in me via culture.. Other than that I have some pretty harsh, blunt, direct opinions about Catholic Doctrine and the puppet master, most may know him as the pope
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,708 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I am a Roman Catholic. No surprise there, being that I come from a country where 95% of the population is Roman Catholic.

I do not subscribe to all of the Roman Catholic theology or ideology, but I have learned to mix some of the tradtions and beliefs into my own form of spiritualism, not religion.

My First Communion was also my last one.

There is a lot more, but to me religion is a bit personal.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I absolutely adore the Holy Mother. She is so beautiful! I love reading about her visitations and miracles. Yes, I attended Mass regularly when I lived close to a Catholic church. I accept the best of what all Religions have to offer.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
Hi folks,

Are there any other Catholics out there? Of course there are issues of patriarchy and heterosexism in the Church itself, but what parts, if any, of Catholicism have you kept in your life and daily faith?

Belonging to a parish is hard for me as I'm queer and out. There are two parishes in town where I'd gladly belong if I could just take the plunge...

Another issue is taking the Eucharist. It's part of my tradition that I find very important, but there are no options besides taking the Blood of Christ for celiacs at present. If I belonged to a parish, there may be something I could do to work things out, but belonging to a parish also means being an out queer, and that's another story!

So here I am, trying to take the lessons of social justice, God's love and a devotion to Our Mother with me as I limp through faith... what's your story?

<3
I am a Roman Catholic. I don't subscribe to all of the church's teachings, past or present, but my faith is strongly Roman Catholic in belief, instinct and practice.

My Catholicism conveys itself in an unequivocal belief in original sin and a need for atonement; I am somewhat drawn towards Opus Dei. I also believe unreservedly in the existence of Satan and other demonic forces and my Catholicism is important to me in providing comfort against this unseen evil. I acknowledge that much of my belief system would be viewed as out-dated to many contemporary Catholics.

I do not take eucharist although I attend mass on a reasonably frequent basis. Sometimes I choose to attend the Soho Masses - http://www.sohomasses.com/ . These are masses aimed at LGBT people, their families and friends that are held in London twice-monthy. Unsurprisingly, these masses are not without controversy within the church but attending these is positive, reaffirming and uplifting for me.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I do not take eucharist although I attend mass on a reasonably frequent basis. Sometimes I choose to attend the Soho Masses - http://www.sohomasses.com/ . These are masses aimed at LGBT people, their families and friends that are held in London twice-monthy. Unsurprisingly, these masses are not without controversy within the church but attending these is positive, reaffirming and uplifting for me.

This has been a difficult week to be Catholic, especially here in London. This evening was our last ever Soho Mass, something that's generated significant press attention both in the UK and continental Europe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21490633

Some of the press coverage has been inaccurate and, in any event, our LGBT Catholic community has found another Roman Catholic church in which to worship but there's been hurt and heartache in how this has come about.

With that said, this evening's final service was tremendously powerful and reaffirming for me and, I think, for many others too. We had seven priests (yes, SEVEN) to celebrate the mass tonight as a sign of support and to demonstrate that we are very much a part of the Catholic community.

The Church was packed. It was standing room only with LGBT Catholics, friends, families and allies. Ironically, despite these obstacles, my Roman Catholic faith is stronger today than it has ever been before.

This evening's service concluded with the following song. I'd never heard it before but it is truly beautiful:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi folks,

/snip

<3
I am a former Catholic for many reasons, some of which you alluded to. After my confirmation I consciously chose not to be a part of the Church or any organized religion. Of course, I attend the major sacraments when they are meaningful to those I love: christenings, weddings, last rites and funerals . But it has been at least 21years since my last confession.

However there are many good things I took from my religious education and participation in the Church.

While I no longer identify as a Christian, I believe that the teachings of Christ are wonderful parables for how we should *be* ... kind of a "good practice" guide to being a decent human being.

I credit the Church with inspiring in me my feminism at a very early age. I was outraged (at the age of 5) to discover I could never become an altar boy or a priest simply because I was a girl; and I spent the next decade wearying poor old Father Barker with "but why?".

Similarly, I give the Church credit for first fostering my critical thinking skills.

And I believe that having the courage of my convictions, (the strength to live each day in big and small ways according to what I believe to be good and true and right), is a result of my time in the Catholic Church.

Saint Joan was my hero and my role model and the religious figure I revered the most as a child.

I also recognise that for many people the Church provides solace and a sense of community, and I think those are wonderful and necessary things to have in your life, where ever you may find them.

And when I think of my time in the Church it is inextricably linked to my Grandmother. She found great solace there: in her understanding of God, in the rituals and in the community. And I would say 1000 rosaries for the opportunity to sit next to her through Mass just one more time.

I wish you all the best, genghisfawn, in finding a place to express your faith.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i enjoy a connection to the Saints as well as other deities that guide me through life.

i was raised Catholic, with a twist of Santeria (Voodoo) for extra measure. I have denounced the Catholic Religion (and have very strong opinions about it completely) but everyday carry the Saints and of course the Blessed Mother (aka Yemaya ) with me at all times.

i channel the Voodoo priestesses of the past when i need to, enjoy cleansing rituals, i use medals and gris gris to keep me safe.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,424 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

I was raised Roman Catholic, but my parents weren't staunch.
When I do go to church, I don't think about my sexuality or worry about how the church is going to view me. I go to church for God, not for anyone else.

I guess after too many years of catholic school, I became immune to the doctrines and the judgments. Only One is going to ultimately judge me, so I figure in the meantime, I just live in my faith in a way that makes me comfortable.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

We are not welcome to take the Eucharist, ever. If you are actively homosexual you are automatically out of communion with the Church and in a state of mortal sin. Heck, if you miss a Sunday to watch your nephew in a school play, you are out of communion with the Church and not welcome to take the Eucharist until you've gone to confession and been forgiven. In the faith the Eucharist is actually Jesus, his literal body. Mass is not just a service it's a recreation of his death. When you stand before the alter it's the *same* as being present at the crucifixion. Would you miss the crucifixion or would you consume his flesh while in a state of mortal sin? Of course not. The only way to heaven in the Catholic religion for us is to promise to sin no more and that means to promise never to have a homosexual relationship again.

Sorry, I get emotional about this...I'm a former Catholic and there are so many things I love and miss about the faith and traditions, but I will not accept that I'm hell bound because of who I choose to love. If God and Jesus exist I was made this way for a reason.

Quote:
Hi folks,

<3
Angeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Angeltoes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Angeltoes, which is why we say prior to the Eucharist (in the newly translated Mass) "Lord, I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." This, like a good condensed Act of Contrition, is an admission of the congregation that we are sinners and we can't help but be as such. My entire Catholic upbringing, among Jesuits, was pretty much the law of, "Well, we're sinners. What does that mean, anyhow? That we were born with the capacity to sin? Instead of saying we suck because we're sinners, we accept that we're made perfectly by God and can only attain grace when we have repented fully when He comes again, so in the meantime try not to hurt anyone and be as good as possible."

This is how I see sin, and my role in the world as a person. I'll repent no more for my queerness than I will for anything else - only God can judge, and I receive the Eucharist as an out queer in my church and nobody has ever stopped me. Their perception of sin may be different from mine, but God is loving - people can be dicks. La fin.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

I was raised Catholic and hold some very strong beliefs that are still attached to that upbringing. During those years I found differences in the churches acceptance of who I am and how I live and express who I am in this world. In my late 20's I went to my priest and had discussed many of the topics that concerned me over the years regarding the teachings of the church and my life. What I loved about my priest and several others was their view of the scripture and their passion when stating that the bible truly does not mention anything about my life being a sin. They actually were very supportive and re-assured me that "I" was created in the image of God...in a "perfect likeness" and that I was designed and placed on this earth for a purpose.

In one of our many conversations I had mentioned my desire to move forward in the church but could not as the rules stood. It was my priest that advised me to seek out the priest at a local Episcopal church. He stated that there I would find the same teachings as the catholic church, but that there was no confession and all are welcome for communion. He went on to tell me that within that denomination I would find openly gay and lesbian priest and felt I would find what I was seeking there. He was right. I found open arms and began my discernment, studied theology and became a Deacon. I had the privilege of watching the first gay bishop become ordained in NH.

The journey was hard because what is taught in theology classes was not the same as the things preached in Sunday service. My faith was tested many times over. In the theology classes I took, every word of the bible was broken down and challenged. Where each passage came from..who really wrote it...etc.

I had never seen or experienced anything like it...the passion, tears, and joy that revolved around each topic discussed by each person there. At times I felt angry and deceived but found my faith in God remained through it all. As time went on I decided to take sabbatical and became an ordained minister years later while finishing my education as a counselor. I am not currently with a church because of a relocation, but I am never fair from my relationship with God and faith.

I don't agree with everything the church teaches...I have asked many questions and continue to ask...because it was Jesus who said "if you do not ask the questions you shall not find the answer" and this another "if you look under a rock you will find me, if you look under a wood/tree branch you will find me too" it is questioned if God is to have said it or Jesus..but these are parts of the missing bible scriptures..the ones the church deemed not needed for redemption at the time the bible was put together.

I think for each of us it is a journey and each journey is different ...none being right and none being wrong, because it is our own journey. So, I never fight about my beliefs..I may discuss them but I shall never fight over them and ask that others respect and treat me the same.
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stargazingboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hey, ghengis --

I am reading you as wanting to hear from other, practicing Catholics, and not folks who have had negative experiences?

I think that's good. I also know that this can be a fiery topic and hope that people will be respectful and participate in the spirit of this thread.

Hi June,

I'm not looking for all positivity... the Church is as conflicted as its members, and I'm not interested in just devout Catholics or still-practicing Catholics, but a place where people can discuss current issues, care for each other spiritually and offer fellowship.

Thanks for all the great responses and messages, folks... I'm really appreciating the community here!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I am Catholic and adhere to most (no, not all) of the core beliefs. I don't expect or require that anyone agree with my personal beliefs but I respect differences and expect the same kind of respect. Is it a struggle? Absolutely. I know i'm a minority in terms of my belief system and have been under fire for that but again, I don't have interest in changing what others believe or don't believe. At the same time, I find solace in the foundations of the church and even in the actual structures of the church. It works for me and no, I don't agree with the controversy regarding hiding the wrongdoings of people who work in the church but they don't define me, nor do they define my faith.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
It works for me and no, I don't agree with the controversy regarding hiding the wrongdoings of people who work in the church but they don't define me, nor do they define my faith.
I think that's a very important point in all of this. Although the Church has a rather complex and very hierarchical structure, faith is a personal thing.

Whether we agree with all or most or some of the Church's teachings and the viewpoints of those in authority at any given time in the Church, the Church is a channel through which some of us can channel our faith. In my view, it's not very dissimilar to someone being proud to be an American citizen but disliking the viewpoint of the incumbent President or the political structures of the USA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I think that's a very important point in all of this. Although the Church has a rather complex and very hierarchical structure, faith is a personal thing.

Whether we agree with all or most or some of the Church's teachings and the viewpoints of those in authority at any given time in the Church, the Church is a channel through which some of us can channel our faith. In my view, it's not very dissimilar to someone being proud to be an American citizen but disliking the viewpoint of the incumbent President or the political structures of the USA.
I think that's a very useful allegory, Ciaran... it's true that while I don't agree with everything in the Church, we have to remember that the Church is made up of people and people are fallible. God is strong and God is infallible... this is why my faith and heart rest with Him and not the Church. This is why I pray and use intercessory prayer to confess and give thanks rather than rely on clergy. This is why I am still able to be Catholic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Default Hilarious itinerant priest

Funny story time!!!

So I'm visiting my bestie in the small, rural town where she teaches. She's currently doing RCIA in a conversion from secular Judaism. Their priest is visiting his mother, who's dying, so we had an itinerant priest from a local large-city seminary.

The Gospel was Matthew 4: 18-20 (ish) about Simon Peter and his brother Andrew leaving their boat with Jesus to be fishers of men. Somehow this priest totally twisted the thing around and gave this tiny town a grand homily on fornication, how you shouldn't lust for your spouse and how getting a boner just out of nowhere (which I'm assured that some people do) is adultery in your mind.

As we were leaving, Bestie's friend said, "How does becoming fishers of men translate into dildoes and internet porn?" I just commented on how itinerant priests always talk about sex because they can get away with it just by going home.

What was the funniest homily you ever heard?
The Following User Says Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post: