Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: Knitting or crocheting? Does anyone have this hobbie?

I have just learned how to knit and need help with some of the basics and just wondering do any of you guys knit or crochet?? What kind of crocheting do you do and do you have patterns? How about knitting books any suggestions would be helpful...thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Just bumping this thread!!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
AlchemyGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, princess, babygrrl ;)
Relationship Status:
in a budding relationship ;)

AlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Hi! Congratulations on working to learn something new. I have a couple of recommendations for you. When you have a chance, you might want to check out http://www.lionbrand.com/ and http://www.ravelry.com/. Both have patterns for all experience levels and tutorials. They also have online communities and forums to ask questions and share your work on. The best part is that they are free. I am big on free, LOL!

If you have an specific issues, I would be glad to try and help. Knitting and Crocheting are my "thing".

AlchemyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlchemyGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlchemy View Post
Hi! Congratulations on working to learn something new. I have a couple of recommendations for you. When you have a chance, you might want to check out http://www.lionbrand.com/ and http://www.ravelry.com/. Both have patterns for all experience levels and tutorials. They also have online communities and forums to ask questions and share your work on. The best part is that they are free. I am big on free, LOL!

If you have an specific issues, I would be glad to try and help. Knitting and Crocheting are my "thing".
Thanks so much for posting yes I love to knit and crochet just was at the store yesterday and bought some fabric to sew I sew too. But the knitting is tricky but will get it and thanks for the urls I will check them out..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i just recently taught myself both knitting and crochet to decide which one i wanted to proceed with. i ended up going with crochet. projects work up much faster and i found it easier to understand patterns. granted i think there are better patterns out there for knitting but i'm gonna stick with crochet.
i have discovered that nice yarns are much easier and more fun to work with. if you ever want to splurge by yourself some yarn by Malabrigo. it's all wool and so incredibly soft. i didn't know wool could feel like this. and the colors- oh the colors are amazing.
i recommend the stich n bitch books. the woman who has written them has both knitting and crochet books. it's what ive been using as reference and it's filled with pretty good patterns. i bought mine at jo-ann fabrics and used one of their 40% off coupons so it was cheap.
anyways, happy stitching! (and i'm subscribing to the thread!)
Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegrrl View Post
i just recently taught myself both knitting and crochet to decide which one i wanted to proceed with. i ended up going with crochet. projects work up much faster and i found it easier to understand patterns. granted i think there are better patterns out there for knitting but i'm gonna stick with crochet.
i have discovered that nice yarns are much easier and more fun to work with. if you ever want to splurge by yourself some yarn by Malabrigo. it's all wool and so incredibly soft. i didn't know wool could feel like this. and the colors- oh the colors are amazing.
i recommend the stich n bitch books. the woman who has written them has both knitting and crochet books. it's what ive been using as reference and it's filled with pretty good patterns. i bought mine at jo-ann fabrics and used one of their 40% off coupons so it was cheap.
anyways, happy stitching! (and i'm subscribing to the thread!)
Yeah thanks and welcome to the thread I was wondering if there would be any interest here about knitting and crocheting but seems like there is I will check Joann's they are having a big sale went yesterday but didn't buy any yarn but will check out the malabrigo wonder where they sell that in NJ but probably do, we have everything pretty much I think,,, I seem to like crocheting better then knitting it does work up pretty fast and the stich and bitch books will definitely look up too. have a happy holiday..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Yes to both and my mom taught me when I was expecting my first child and never looked back. I probably have knitted a scarf to the moon in all these years. LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

bumpity bump! anybody still on this thread? Want to add each other on ravelry?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
What is ravelry exactly? I crochet and I'm going to be starting knitting classes....my girls do beading and sewing...we love crafts
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
What is ravelry exactly? I crochet and I'm going to be starting knitting classes....my girls do beading and sewing...we love crafts
Ravelry.com is a worldwide knitting/crocheting/spinning website. It is awesome and free. There are tons of patterns, groups, contests in groups, you have project pages, a library for your patterns, a place to "stash" your yarns to keep track of them, you can make friends, people are generally nice, there are groups for everything and everyone. I love it!

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I put "crochet" in pattern search and it came back with: 89,894 matches.

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I taught myself to knit several years ago, and I really enjoy it. I decided to teach myself how to crochet because I found some really cute patterns for crocheting animals. I'm having some trouble though, with crocheting the adjustable ring. I've started working on a scarf, just a basic stitch, to give myself some practice and develop a familiarity with the hook and the basic stitches. Has anyone else here had trouble mastering the adjustable ring?

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,150 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
Ravelry.com is a worldwide knitting/crocheting/spinning website. It is awesome and free. There are tons of patterns, groups, contests in groups, you have project pages, a library for your patterns, a place to "stash" your yarns to keep track of them, you can make friends, people are generally nice, there are groups for everything and everyone. I love it!

Good to know!

I taught myself to crochet last winter, aided exclusively by You Tube videos. Now I can read patterns without visual aids, although I admit that I keep it pretty simple, so far. If I ever want to try something new, there is always a video for it. But it might be nice to have people with whom to share ideas, ask questions, and find inspiration.

I was on a piglet-kick for a while. I was thinking that the next one should have wings.

My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,539 Times in 10,209 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Those piglets are darling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Meander View Post
Good to know!

I taught myself to crochet last winter, aided exclusively by You Tube videos. Now I can read patterns without visual aids, although I admit that I keep it pretty simple, so far. If I ever want to try something new, there is always a video for it. But it might be nice to have people with whom to share ideas, ask questions, and find inspiration.

I was on a piglet-kick for a while. I was thinking that the next one should have wings.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Good to know!

Ok this is really cute!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Good to know!

Ms. Meander, I LOVE these little piggies!! Do you have the pattern for them? If I PM you my address could you make a copy for me and mail it? I'd love to give it a try!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
Sure LadyMerrick on Ravelry, friend me : 0
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsMerrick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

I learned to knit, a combination of the book, "stitch n bitch".. Highly highly recommend and Youtubes and knitting circles ! People tend to teach If you are in NYC or near..join the Dyke Knitting Club, once a month o r a Knitting circle at SAGE , once a week.. or many others but I like a Queer flavor
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMerrick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default SAGE..

Does that stand for Senior Action in a Gay Environment?
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am interested in making socks, but i want to crochet them. it's way out of my comfort zone but i like living on the edge like that.

Did Belle ever come back???
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:

Tags
crocheting, hobbies, knitting