Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Politics: The Dark Ages edition

An allegedly responsible member of Congress has said that, get this, *demons* are infesting the capitol. Yes, demons. Yes, as in big, horrible monsters from the depths of Hell. Infesting the capitol.

Congressman Louie Gohmert (R-TX) had this to say against the health care reform bill:

And then, out of nowhere, Gohmert began spreading the word that underworld spirits were lurking around the Capitol building behind him.

"There's a whole lot of demon going on," he said. "There are a lot of demons around here apparently."

When oh when are we going to get to a place where nominally responsible people don't feel comfortable making such ridiculous statements in public? In any kind of *sane* country, Gohmert would be laughed out of public life. But here, his comments pass without so much as an askance look and a "whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis".

It reminds me of nothing so much as the witch trial scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Knight: "How do you know she is a witch."
Peasant: "She turned me into a newt."
Knight: A newt?
Peasant: Got better.

One wonders what century this guy believes he is living in.

The full story in all of its amusing horror.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Whee...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU"]YouTube- monty python-witch scene[/ame]

What's scary is that others accept this as well... it's not just one "nut" but a whole bowl full.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

It makes me really angry. This guy no more believes in demons than you do, Aj; he clearly wants to move up in national power, and he's shamelessly manipulating a gullible lot of people to do so. He knows just what allegations to throw out there to inflame the public, and he's cold-blooded about it; it shows in his picture.

Thanks for posting this thread, as I wouldn't have known about this jerk otherwise. So, the Teaparty is already racist and now they're "alll het up" about demons... doesn't take a genius to know who they'll be after next.

Sometimes I just wanna bury my face in my hands and scream for a while over the greed of some people and the concomitant feverish rush to ignorant prejudice of others. *shakes head in frustration*
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
It makes me really angry. This guy no more believes in demons than you do, Aj; he clearly wants to move up in national power, and he's shamelessly manipulating a gullible lot of people to do so. He knows just what allegations to throw out there to inflame the public, and he's cold-blooded about it; it shows in his picture.

Thanks for posting this thread, as I wouldn't have known about this jerk otherwise. So, the Teaparty is already racist and now they're "alll het up" about demons... doesn't take a genius to know who they'll be after next.

Sometimes I just wanna bury my face in my hands and scream for a while over the greed of some people and the concomitant feverish rush to ignorant prejudice of others. *shakes head in frustration*
Bit:

I hope you're right about this guy not believing a word he says about demons (although the fact that there are people who *will* believe him is just as terrifying). If he's just a cynical politician, playing cynical politics, then typically that lot can be trusted not to drive the bus off a cliff. There's always *some* reason not to take that last step. If, however, he believes what he's saying (and, quite honestly, I presume that he *does* believe it) then that's far more disturbing because True Believers will drive a bus off a cliff (or fly planes into buildings) if for no other reason than to prove their point.

I find it disturbing that in this day and age, people of power and responsibility and talk about demons in public without ANY fear that they will be laughed out of town as a loon. As a nation it seems we've jumped the cognitive shark.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I've been out of the loop the last few days and can't believe I missed the demon commentary!

See, scarily enough, I'm kinda thinking that the guy might actually believe that there really are demons running around on Capitol Hill. I will fully own that seeing the (R) after the guys name and that he was from Texas has completely shrouded my thinking with the veil of "must be one of those zealot Republicans".

*pause for dramatic effect while I read the Wiki on this guy*

Oh HELL, he's a "Birther" too.

He also apparently thinks that repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" will lead to "Nazism and legalisation of Necrophilia, Beastiality, and Pedophilia."

It's official. I believe the guy ACTUALLY believes that "demons" are loose on the hill.

It's hard not to wonder how other countries view the asshats in our political system as anything but unevolved, hysterical morons. Now, someone please stop me before I draw a parallel between religious hystericals and Republicans.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Let's see, Gohmert is a birther (co-sponsor HR 1503), a texas baptist, the guy who figured out that we could solve the economic crisis by giving everyone a 2 month vacation from paying federal taxes, carried signs to Obama's congressional address that said “What Bill?” and “What Plan?”, thinks that the Hate Crimes act is dangerous, and represents a state that is in the process of rewriting history so that wing nut conservatives are given more space in history books than, oh, say, the guy that wrote the Declaration of Independence.

I think that he's dead serious.

More terrifying is that people voted for him, so there are a lot more out there just like him.

Edited to add that Medusa and I posted at the same time and that I have no intention of stopping her from drawing a parallel between religious hystericals and Republicans, as I can't recall seeing a whole lot of religious hysterical Democrats floating around the Capitol or Faux Newz.

Last edited by MsDemeanor; 03-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
MsDemeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsDemeanor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

He's as serious as any surfer riding the waves; choose the wrong one and you're swamped, have to swim for it... but do I think he, himself, actually personally believes the crap he's selling? No, I believe he is a user who is using other people's fears and hysteria to get him what he wants.

I have yet to come across any politician who actually believes the right-wing nonsense they spout; like cynical church leaders, they just follow the money to power. It gives politicians and church leaders who are not cynical a bad name--but then, users never care about things like that as long as there is money (and power!) in it for them.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

More irony:

A government official calling for the end of government. (another Republican)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_500995.html
Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

I'm actually a little more than disturbed by all of the fuckery in the news today.

Here is an article about Jim Bunning (the dude who wanted to put a hold on unemployment bennies for millions of folks) trying to block President Obama's nominations to a couple of different positions using some idiocy about a CANADIAN smoking law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_500973.html

SERIOUSLY?
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Demons?

If there are demons actually around, they are the ones who decided torturing people was oK.

I am with Bit, I think he is a politician playing to his base.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

I'm actually a little more than disturbed by all of the fuckery in the news today.

Here is an article about Jim Bunning (the dude who wanted to put a hold on unemployment bennies for millions of folks) trying to block President Obama's nominations to a couple of different positions using some idiocy about a CANADIAN smoking law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_500973.html

SERIOUSLY?
So if Canada does it, it's ebil but if the FDA (yes, the US Gov't) does it it's ok?

No wonder the longest undefended border doesn't exist any more.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
So if Canada does it, it's ebil but if the FDA (yes, the US Gov't) does it it's ok?

No wonder the longest undefended border doesn't exist any more.

It's just insane. Insane.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Bit:

I hope you're right about this guy not believing a word he says about demons (although the fact that there are people who *will* believe him is just as terrifying). If he's just a cynical politician, playing cynical politics, then typically that lot can be trusted not to drive the bus off a cliff. There's always *some* reason not to take that last step. If, however, he believes what he's saying (and, quite honestly, I presume that he *does* believe it) then that's far more disturbing because True Believers will drive a bus off a cliff (or fly planes into buildings) if for no other reason than to prove their point.

I find it disturbing that in this day and age, people of power and responsibility and talk about demons in public without ANY fear that they will be laughed out of town as a loon. As a nation it seems we've jumped the cognitive shark.

Cheers
Aj
Well, this is not a really far leap from "God" telling W to go to war and how to govern. If God can run the country, then so can demons?

Really the idiocy of it all is almost too much to bear.

All this magical thinking makes me sick at my stomach. And yes, this is not far at all from the Dark Ages.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Well, this is not a really far leap from "God" telling W to go to war and how to govern. If God can run the country, then so can demons?

Really the idiocy of it all is almost too much to bear.

All this magical thinking makes me sick at my stomach. And yes, this is not far at all from the Dark Ages.
Isn't it just too much? You know the strange thing is that this change happened suddenly! As late as the late 70's/early 80's if ANY politician had made such a statement on the record their career would be over and done with. Now, it's just a normal part of political discourse.

I'm waiting for someone to start claiming that witches are the cause of climate change.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I realize it's not my responsibility to tell all Y'all this...but may I just say that I read things like Aj's opening post and am ashamed of some of the pure~dee CRAP that comes out of the mouths of some Texas politicians?

I realize there are idiot politicians in every state.....but it does seem as though Texas has more than her fair share.....

And to think they actually believe what they are spewing just baffles my mind!

Thankfully, Austin IS an oasis in the middle of all the insanity.....but NOT so thankfully, our [republican] governor lives here......and he's a 'good ol' boy' from the word GO.

Heaven help us.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
I'm waiting for someone to start claiming that witches are the cause of climate change.
Remember Paul Cellucci (R) from MA?! :P

http://www.couponclicker.com/wp-srv/...s/ma102598.htm

I'm trying to find an article talking about how he had no problem with "accosting" those who practiced Wicca or paganism. I remember reading about it wwwaaaaayyyyy back when
Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Isn't it just too much? You know the strange thing is that this change happened suddenly! As late as the late 70's/early 80's if ANY politician had made such a statement on the record their career would be over and done with. Now, it's just a normal part of political discourse.

Totally!

Seriously, an Inquisition is right around the corner.

I so thought that when President Obama was voted in that people were ready for a huge change, that there was hope for sanity in government. But no....we have idiots coming up with insane stuff to try and stop us from making any progress. He must be so incredibly frustrated, I don't think he had any idea how bad things really are.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

It's a damn good example of the state of much of our society.

Unfortunately the people like him getting elected and moving into these high positions are there because large portions of society agree with them. It's not just him, and it's scary really.

Though I've never been surprised at the things people do and think, and for a while I felt like the greater part of society had evolved slightly beyond certain blatant stupidities (for the most part at least I thought). But lately there's a lot big reminders in the news of how very very far we have to go, the "tea party"s recent emergence and their racist messages, and other similar things of late.

I'd like to think that the insanities belonged to just the individuals speaking them (Gohmert, Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps the list goes on and on)... but unfortunately those people have insane (literally) numbers of followers that raise them up to and keep them in their positions.

If they don't actually believe what they're saying, it's still disturbing because they're addressing what they know people believe and want to hear from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

When Texas decides to leave the Union, hopefully before the next round of textbooks are published, we need to find a way to relocate Austin.

Ye, I know that there are some good people in Texas, but I come from a long line of the not so good ones, so my perspective is a little skewed.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post

AND FURTHERMORE 2!

They are already rationing the goddamn healthcare to women over child-bearing age by telling us WE DON'T NEED FUCKING MAMMOGRAMS AND PAP SMEARS EVERY YEAR. How is that not withholding and rationing? Oh, that's right. We're worthless women who just take up space in the job market that should be held by younger, virile (CHRISTIAN) white men.

So these buffoons that walk around talking about how Grandma is gonna be denied healthcare? SHE ALREADY IS AND SHE'S NOT EVEN A GRANDMA YET! As are millions of americans WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE OPTIONS! And also? When my Granddad died at 95, the last time he was in the hospital, he was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. We weren't going to treat it anyway, but it was OUR CHOICE.

Am I off topic again? It must be the cock-a-doody demons dancing around my office. Fuckers.
Since you're off topic again, and since I feel a desire to wave Mahhh Texas Flag nice and high

You oughtta come to Texas. We're still givin' out paps and mammos for free

Just had one about two weeks ago as a matter o' fact (p.s. the tranny T ensures I won't be havin' no babies no time soon...thank god)

Haven't had the mammo, and I'm not really in the mood. They've been bugging me for a month to go get it...even offered to pay for a cab to come and get me, take me there, and bring me home afterwards. Yep, been calling me at least twice a week for a month to come and have this mammo. I've had to come up with new excuses as to why I'm not going.

So, I don't know what y'all are doin' up there in OR, but feel free to stop by Texas and get all your lady flowers checked out...for free. We're still givin' it away here.

Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote