Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

View Poll Results: Do Business Owners Have the Right to Refuse Service Due to Moral/Religious Objections?
No 15 25.00%
Yes 38 63.33%
Unsure/Maybe/Other 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #61
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry. I guess I am not understanding the questions or point of this thread. I don't think someone should be refused service because they are queer. I still don't want to make confederate cupcakes though!
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #62
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

HSIN can correct me if I'm wrong (But I think I'm right about her question/intent since we've been chatting about it all last night and this morning too) but I do believe that what she was trying to discuss was:

- Is it okay to deny services to someone because of who they are (not because of what they do)
- Even though sexual orientation is not an official protected group in many places, should we be afforded the same protections that people are afforded due to race and religion
- If we should not be a protected group - should there be ANY protected groups?
- Should religious people get a "pass" for discriminating against us because religion is also a protected class

Did I miss anything, HSIN?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #63
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Thirdly - I want to know, then, since you think it's okay to refuse services to people just for being gay - do you think that there should be no protected classes of people at all? Do you think that business owners should get to turn people away for being Asian? Hindu? I know Rand Paul thinks that business owners should get to do that, so it's not a totally far-fetched fringe notion.

And if you don't think that business owners should be able to turn people away because of their race or their religion - why do you think it's okay to turn people away because of their sexual orientation?
Didn't mean to chop up your post, betenoire, but these questions really cut down to something that's been bothering me in this thread. I'd be really interested in hearing the answers to these questions on refusing someone based on race vs. sexual orientation from those who do think that business owners should have the right to deny service based on religious beliefs/morals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomnNC View Post
The question was NOT about refusing service to gay people exclusively. The question was:

Do you think a business has the right to refuse service based on moral/religious beliefs?

No where does it state it was exclusive to gay people, that was just the example provided!
Like HowSoon said, I'm not sure where you're going with this. Yes, the question was not about refusing service to gay people exclusively, but on refusing service to anyone based on morals/beliefs (particularly religious morals and beliefs). What does that change?

One could just as easily state that it is morally wrong (according to their religion) for them to provide their service to Jews (sound familiar?) or Muslims. They could do this with people of different ethnicities as well. Should they be legally able to deny their service based on their religious views? Why should they be allowed to refuse service? Whatever happened to equal access and opportunity?
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #64
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I am pretty sure a) They are connected in some way and b) They don't like my kind. I have lived in this neighborhood for 8 years, and have never gone in there because of that, but I was desperate.
Right, and I DO think that it's unfortunate that the couple from the OP didn't research who they were buying their flowers from. I know before I make any sort of significant purchase I check into things to make sure I'm giving my money to my kind of people.

So sure, it's unfortunate. And maybe from now on they WILL look into where their money goes. This has probably been a life lesson for that couple.

But, you know. I don't know their situation. I don't know anything about the town they are from. I don't know if there are other florists, or if this is like the Flintstones where Fred had to take services from the caterer who did a shitty job because "I'm the ONLY caterer in town!"

So, like I said, while it is really a shame that this couple didn't think harder about where their money is going (provided they really had other options - because I have no idea) it's a double shame that we live in a world where they should HAVE to think harder about who they buy from.

What the florist did was wrong wrong wrong. (And illegal - haha!)

ETA - Gotta go have a shower and get ready for work. You people have fun without me!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #65
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
HSIN can correct me if I'm wrong (But I think I'm right about her question/intent since we've been chatting about it all last night and this morning too) but I do believe that what she was trying to discuss was:

- Is it okay to deny services to someone because of who they are (not because of what they do) Not if it is illegal obviously. This is where I have a problem. I want to deny service to bigots even if they are not engaged in bigoted acts. That is who they are. I do not want someone denying me service because I am queer or my partner service because he is a transman. Lame and waffly I know but that is the best I can come up with!

- Even though sexual orientation is not an official protected group in many places, should we be afforded the same protections that people are afforded due to race and religion YES- Transgender people as well.

If we should not be a protected group - should there be ANY protected groups? N/A

- Should religious people get a "pass" for discriminating against us because religion is also a protected class. Absolutely no one should get a pass for breaking the law. Unfortunately as you pointed out there are not laws that protect us in some places. That is why we are fighting for equality here. Since we are engaged in that fight and want the laws to be changed the answer is NO religious people do not get a pass. No one gets a pass.

Did I miss anything, HSIN?
Bold answers
Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #66
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, I'll toss this out there before I go to pick up my nephew.

I'm a systems analyst/programmer. I design and write business computer systems for my clients. Let's say one of my clients refer someone to me. It's a big ole church, they want me to design a system that among things tracks the number of GLBT people attending their church, reason being, they are getting complaints from some members of their congregation about said members. They tell me to put a threshold on it, if it meets that threshold then they want a list of all GLBT members who attend their church because they are going to tell them they are no longer welcome there to worship. Should I (as a member of the GLBT community) accept them as a client knowing full well they are basically going on a witch hunt in MY community???

What if one of my business clients wanted me to do the same thing, since in NC we have no protection due to sexual orientation or gender identification, and they want expressedly state these employees will be fired? Do I retain them as a client and program their system as they wish knowing full well that my peers are going to be terminated???

That IS against my moral compass so according to you all I shouldn't have the right to say NO I'll NOT be part of your witch hunts! Sorry, you're going to lose out on this one because I will refuse to be part of it and will decline accepting a client because of such bullshit.

If you wanted the discussion/question to be solely about the GLBT community then you should have stated as such instead of leaving the question wide open in my opinion.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

If you wanted the discussion/question to be solely about the GLBT community then you should have stated as such instead of leaving the question wide open in my opinion.

Snipped the part I will address.

DomnNC,

I already answered why I left it open and Ender explained it as well.

Again, I left it open because I want to know if it is OK for businesses deny ANYONE service (grounded in their religious and moral beliefs) because of that group's immutable characteristic or intrinsic belief system (religion)--not behaviour.

If you are going to deny the queers, you might as well take back all other groups of people who are already federally protected.

What is the difference b/w refusing someone b/c they are queer and refusing someone because they are a woman (etc.)--as long as that person has deep religious or moral objections to a certain class of people, they are entitled to refuse service?

Last edited by Soon; 03-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #68
Spork

How Do You Identify?:
N/A
Preferred Pronoun?:
N/A

Spork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST ReputationSpork Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Ok, I'll toss this out there before I go to pick up my nephew.

I'm a systems analyst/programmer. I design and write business computer systems for my clients. Let's say one of my clients refer someone to me. It's a big ole church, they want me to design a system that among things tracks the number of GLBT people attending their church, reason being, they are getting complaints from some members of their congregation about said members. They tell me to put a threshold on it, if it meets that threshold then they want a list of all GLBT members who attend their church because they are going to tell them they are no longer welcome there to worship. Should I (as a member of the GLBT community) accept them as a client knowing full well they are basically going on a witch hunt in MY community???

What if one of my business clients wanted me to do the same thing, since in NC we have no protection due to sexual orientation or gender identification, and they want expressedly state these employees will be fired? Do I retain them as a client and program their system as they wish knowing full well that my peers are going to be terminated???

That IS against my moral compass so according to you all I shouldn't have the right to say NO I'll NOT be part of your witch hunts! Sorry, you're going to lose out on this one because I will refuse to be part of it and will decline accepting a client because of such bullshit.

I have to agree with you on this, because I also understood it was not only about LGBT being accepted or not in business. I thought it was merely an example.

But the question having "based on moral/religious objections" on it made me think that, well, I'm not particularly religious but I have my own set of morals. And mine make me cringe if I were to work for a bigot.

I understand that this flower lady did something illegal in her country/state/town. But it's not always illegal elsewhere, so I think some are tackling the issue from that viewpoint.

If it's perfectly okay for someone to deny us service because we're gay, don't we have the same right?

I'm not saying, and I think others aren't saying, that we'll all start declining to work for certain groups. But we have a choice, a right.

One last thing, I thought "businesses" meant something privately owned by a person or group of people, for the sole purpose of selling services/products and profiting. I gave my opinion on that particular type of organization. Organizations with social obligations (pharmacies) or state-owned (hospitals) are an entirely different thing, from what I've learned. Those are usually subject to different laws, and have an obligation to serve the public regardless of gender, race, ideology, etc.

Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #69
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

To YouForgotTheSpoon,

Yes, I am referring to private businesses being allowed to refuse service due to strongly held religious or moral convinctions--whether it is the local flowershop, car dealership, market, or Taco Bell.

Last edited by Soon; 03-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #70
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Let's make one thing clear, no, I do not advocate a person being denied a service based solely on the fact that they are LGBT and whatever other letters you want to toss behind that.

I understand the flower shop broke the law in their country and should pay the consequences. We only have marginal protection here in the states. Some states have passed laws against discrimination based on gender indentification and sexual orientation, some municipalities have done the same thing within states that do not have state laws. Is that right or fair to the rest of us? No, I should say not but sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for, as in my example above, I could be forced to do that against my own community if I don't have a right to say no, I'll not create computer systems for bigots that will cost my community dearly.

Interestingly enough tho, no one has answered my questions, you can't have it both ways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #71
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

Stripper bars have the right to not allow unescorted females into their place of business (unless escorted by a male).

Biker bars can refuse to let you in if you're flagging colors.

Male gay bars will and have and can refuse women patrons.

Once upon a Snow I refused to handle a Coors account.

Bath houses are MEN ONLY.

Because business can cater to whom ever they want they do, is it smart?

I'm not sure I've learned in America this government tells people what to do to an extent.

HSIN the story you postedas far as I'm concerned is gonna cover the gaycouple since for y'all it's against the law.

That's all I have to share about this particular topic.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #72
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Excellent point Snow.

You also have female only gyms in the states, so aren't they discriminating against men by refusing entry as well. There's a whole boat load of businesses like what you specified and the female only gyms. There are male only gyms as well I believe. The list goes on and on.
The Following User Says Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #73
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, there was something that was bugging me about your examples that I couldn't quite pinpoint. So went off to try to be productive on my day off but...couldn't keep my mind off the examples, because I like to be able to back up my stances as best I can. I knew there had to be a reason this wasn't sitting right beyond the obvious, and I think maybe now I've pinpointed what didn't sit right with me.

So here goes:

Quote:
If I’m understanding this example correctly, you’re meaning to say that a company hires you to write a system that would allow them to keep tabs on LGBT employees for the purpose of terminating them if they exceed a certain number?

At this point, you have a few problems arising.

First of all, you have an issue that’s something of a "does the egg come before the chicken, or the chicken before the egg" type thing when it comes to human rights. Minority rights need to be protected on all fronts: as employees, employers, business owners and consumers. That much goes without saying if you want to build a society that protects all its citizens from discrimination.

However, if you live in a society that has not put anti-discrimination laws into place, then the main concern, in my opinion, should be to fight to get those laws put into place. Under those laws it would be illegal for a company to hunt down its LGBT employees and fire them, and so you would not need to worry about whether or not to deny them your services or not because the very act they seek to commit would be an infringement upon the basic rights of the LGBT population.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your concern seems to be something like: What do I do if I live in a place that has no LGBT anti-discrimination laws? I want to have the right to deny my services to people looking to fire employees specifically for being LGBT/ to people who can legally exploit or discriminate against LGBT folks.

I don't think that this conundrum should results in an "eye for an eye" kind of reaction.

My response would be that you shouldn’t worry about any kind of contradiction between your wish to deny your private business's services to people actively discriminating against LGBT folks and your wish not to be denied services from other private businesses on the basis of being LGBT. When it comes down to it no such contradictions exist because if the proper laws protecting LGBT folks from discrimination were in place then they would have no right to fire a gay man solely because he is gay to begin with, and so they wouldn’t be asking you to write this programmed to begin with. They would not be able to legally fire a gay man for being gay any more than they would have the right to fire a black man solely for being black.

The issue then comes down to: lobbying for LGBT anti-discrimination laws, which would effectively solve your problem.

The issue does not comes down to: demanding that private businesses have the right to refuse their services on the basis of their religious/moral inclinations. Demanding that this right exists only legally perpetuates discrimination.

Quote:
This example is trickier for me personally, because I’ve got some religion issues…in that I don’t have a particularly positive view of religion (and organised religion in particular). But at the same time I do recognise that religious people should have the right to practice their religion without being discriminated against, to wear the symbols/dress code of their religion without being discriminated against and to generally practice according to their holy book so long as it does not collide with basic human rights.

However, the Judeo-Christian bible claims that stoning adulterers is ok, for example. Obviously, western law has made stoning anyone for any reason decidedly illegal. And so I strongly believe that religious individuals should be unable to put into practice certain aspects of the bible that collide with basic human rights, and for the sake of modernising certain aspects of the religion that…aren't particularly modern.

Which, then, makes me think that, ok priests shouldn’t have to marry gay couples if they don’t want to, but should they really have the right to bar LGBT folks from even attending a service or stepping foot into a church? I, personally, don’t think so. The reason for this is that I think their beliefs and their expression of those beliefs, whether based in religion or not, are hateful and harmful to a progressive society that takes into consideration basic human rights.

I’ve read that a church has a right to ban a congregation member from its premises if that member has had an abortion while a member of that church. I don’t know how much of that is true, and from what I’ve read it seems to be something that goes on a case by case basis.

If that is true, then I suppose a church would also have the right to bar queer folks from its premises on the basis that they, as people, don’t fit into religious doctrine. But if that’s the case, I also wonder if they’re allowed to ban other faiths, certain unwanted ethnicities, the disabled and so on from their premises. For example, I know that in some countries and in some monasteries they are legally allowed to prohibit female-bodied people from entering monasteries open to male-bodied tourists. In fact when I was ten years old I was prohibited from entering such a monastery. Should that be legal in a progressive, socially conscious nation?

And if we come down on the side of a resounding "no," then we needn’t worry ourselves about refusing service or not because if we lived in nations where discrimination and proper hate speech laws were in place, then the dilemma would not exist in the first place.

So the issue then becomes one of fighting for equal rights, access to services and resources, and employment, housing, educational opportunities.

It does not become an issue of creating laws that further protect those who would discriminate on the basis of an inherent (not chosen) characteristic like sexual orientation or race.

Quote:
HSIN has said a few times now that she didn't want it to be solely about LGBT community, but about refusing to service a customer of a private business on the basis of religious morals/beliefs.

I still don't understand how whether it's about LGBT rights or not changes things, since ultimately the topic is about whether or not a private business owner has the right to refuse service to someone based on their being part of a protected or minority group. Because even if it were about race, ethnicity, nationality, skin colour, sex, gender identity/expression, disability/ability, religion or so on, the answer would, at least for me, be exactly the same. I would not deny any person my services as a private business honour unless it was due to some behavioural/conduct issue (f.ex. spouting racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic etc. comments in the store, creating an unsafe or uncomfortable environment for employees and other customers and so on). That is the kind of business relationship anti-discrimination laws promote.

So I wouldn't refuse my services to someone who I knew, by reputation, to be a homophobe or racist or any other such thing. I would deny them service if they began to spout racist/homophic etc. shit in my establishment and began disrespecting me, my employees, the customers or if they generally disrupted the business' environment.

Quote:

Interestingly enough tho, no one has answered my questions, you can't have it both ways.
Part of the reason I didn’t answer immediately was because I found the examples problematic and couldn't quite figure out why until now. Now I'm fairly certain that it is because the issue, to me, in either example was not about whether or not you and every other private business owner has the right to deny service. The issue is related to the lack of adequate anti-discrimination laws that would stop these situations from arising.

Anyways, hopefully my little ramble has made some sense.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #74
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

DomnNC,

I had to to take a break. I also had to keep reading it to make sure I understood it.

My issues with your example is that you are discussing an action--you know will be performed after a service--if you know what their behaviour/actions will be with the service you gave them, you have a right to deny them service. You are not refusing the job based on a CHARACTERISTIC.

Dom, you are not talking about denial of service based on a characterstic of the service seeker; you would be denying service based on the service that is being requested.

Protected classes are there to protect people from being ARBITRARILY treated differently, and being treated worse, based solely on certain characteristics.

Regarding the gendered gym example: In this case, the sex segregated gyms are not saying we hate men or we hate women--it is not a judgement--like discrimination. Discrimination, in my opinion, says, "I judge you to be of lesser value than someone else b/c of this particular characteristic or that you belong to a group that I find socially undesirable; therefore I have the right to refuse you service."

What about the days where women weren't even allowed their own chequing account or mortgages were only given to white men? These banks used to have moral objections to women holding a chequing account and minority groups owning a mortgage. Anti-discrimination laws were put in place to protect these situations from happening. Today, they can deny a a person based on a poor credit history--this is a legitimate business interest (and a behaviour)--it is not about denying someone a service due to a characteristic or the fact that they belong to a certain group.

As far as questions not being answered are concerned: Several of us have asked those who believe that businesses have the right to refuse service based on religious or moral objections, if they are then ready then ready to give up the notion of protected classes ALL TOGETHER?

Those people who do live in areas where many groups are protected--are you willing to give that up?

I know I am pretty happy with Canada very close to passing protections based on gender identity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #75
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

See Ender and HowSoon that's the crux of the problem, ya'll are coming at people in the US with your laws in Canada which WE do not have in the states for the most part. You can't interject your laws upon us and beat down our responses because they don't mesh with yours because you guys ARE protected. I'm speaking from the standpoint of the laws in the US. I live in NC where there are NO laws on the state books regarding discrimination against the LGBT community, at ALL. We are fair targets and open game to anyone who wants to discriminate against us, except in municipalities that have passed such laws which are few and far in between.

So yes, a company can ask me to write a system that tracks its LGBT employees, a church could ask me to do the same thing in regards to their congregation and it's perfectly legal and acceptable for them to do so and it's perfectly legal to fire said employees or kick members of a congregation out just because they are LGBT as it wouldn't fit within THEIR moral compass (example - a family owned business where the owner may be extremely religious). It doesn't matter if I know what the outcome of those numbers will be, but being in the bible belt I can just imagine that they would be used for no good and with detriment to my community here.

So should I not have the preference and right as a small business owner to say NO, HELL NO to those people who would wish harm upon my community by taking their source of income or kicking them out of a church that they may happen to love? or Should I be forced into doing this programming for them with the threat of a lawsuit if such a law existed on the books stating I cannot refuse my service to anyone for any reason at all?

Remember, they have NO laws to protect them in NC, I have seen people terminated and people kicked out of churches in NC simply because a person happens to be a part of the LGBT community.

Edit: I could have no moral compass at all and say sure I'll take your money and do it anyway. It would be no skin off my back just money in the bank. That is if I had no moral compass. This is a group of people wanting to discriminate against LGBT, same difference, just a different avenue. I would be aiding that discrimination if I took the money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #76
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums

I understand what Jo is saying. The distinction she is making. I have already answered the question. I do want it both ways. Meaning I want to tell the bigot no and be protected under the law because I am queer. Of course this is not feasible but she asked the question.

This is not about US vs. Canada and I don't see anyone beating down people's responses.
The Following User Says Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #77
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
See Ender and HowSoon that's the crux of the problem, ya'll are coming at people in the US with your laws in Canada which WE do not have in the states for the most part. You can't interject your laws upon us and beat down our responses because they don't mesh with yours because you guys ARE protected. I'm speaking from the standpoint of the laws in the US. I live in NC where there are NO laws on the state books regarding discrimination against the LGBT community, at ALL. We are fair targets and open game to anyone who wants to discriminate against us, except in municipalities that have passed such laws which are few and far in between.

So yes, a company can ask me to write a system that tracks its LGBT employees, a church could ask me to do the same thing in regards to their congregation and it's perfectly legal and acceptable for them to do so and it's perfectly legal to fire said employees or kick members of a congregation out just because they are LGBT as it wouldn't fit within THEIR moral compass (example - a family owned business where the owner may be extremely religious). It doesn't matter if I know what the outcome of those numbers will be, but being in the bible belt I can just imagine that they would be used for no good and with detriment to my community here.

So should I not have the preference and right as a small business owner to say NO, HELL NO to those people who would wish harm upon my community by taking their source of income or kicking them out of a church that they may happen to love? or Should I be forced into doing this programming for them with the threat of a lawsuit if such a law existed on the books stating I cannot refuse my service to anyone for any reason at all?

Remember, they have NO laws to protect them in NC, I have seen people terminated and people kicked out of churches in NC simply because a person happens to be a part of the LGBT community.
Dom,

I wrote that you DID had the right to refuse them service based on their actions.

The question I posed in the poll does not say anything about the laws in where you or I reside.

My question is do you BELIEVE (regardless of what is or is not on the books), that business owners have the right to refuse service based on religious or moral objections.

I am not beating anyone down. I am responding to posts and expressing my opinion.

Yes, Ender, Bete and myself are from Canada; however, the USA DOES have protected classes for some groups (and not for others), so I am unsure wherein lies the discrepancy in attitudes towards protected classes.

Just b/c Canada has laws protecting sexual orientation and, soon, gender identity, doesn't mean that citizens of the USA don't understand the idea of protected classes. You already have federal (and local -- some more for others) protections--they are already in place to prevent discrimination based on certain characteristics of the population.

Are you willing to give up laws that currently protect certain classes b/c you believe that the moral and religious objections of a business owner trumps those of a customer?

To me, those who voted yes they do agree with the right to refuse service based on a business owner's moral or religious objections, then it would make sense to remove all current local and federal protections and certainly not work for the inclusion of any other protected classes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #78
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

OMG A shiny object.
I hit the wrong CHOICE.
I said YES...
NO NO NO NO --

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #79
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
I understand what Jo is saying. The distinction she is making. I have already answered the question. I do want it both ways. Meaning I want to tell the bigot no and be protected under the law because I am queer. Of course this is not feasible but she asked the question.

This is not about US vs. Canada and I don't see anyone beating down people's responses.
Julie,

You can tell the bigot no. That is a behaviour in which an owner can legitimately refuse service. It's like a person coming into a store w/o a shirt. It is a behaviour that an owner can legally refuse service.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #80
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
Julie,

You can tell the bigot no. That is a behaviour in which an owner can legitimately refuse service. It's like a person coming into a store w/o a shirt. It is a behaviour that an owner can legally refuse service.
Woo hoo!! I am protected and no confederate cupcakes!!!

Seriously though anything that would jeopardize equality for gay and transgender people is always going to have to take a backseat.