Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I've been buzzing my head for over a year (usually with a #1.5 inch guard) instead of parting out for a decent cut around here. It only takes ten minutes every month and besides, I'm lazy and don't wanna deal with having to take care of it.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Last year I got one of many crapy hair cuts that were way over priced,I tell them NOT to cut the top of my hear short leave it fairly long,just trim around the ears & leave some sideburns..trim my bangs 1 inch above my eye brows.Not hard to do?! Well last time but time they got done no matter where I measured my hair it was two inches long..I looked like a peeled onion.GRRRRRRRR I was not happy.So as It grew I trimed it myself,I am satisfied with the rustic Johnny Cash hair cut I now have,my hair is a little fine but has waves every where they were cutting off like a mad butcher.My son trims the back,then I comb it the way I want it to lay so with a trim round the ears and a snip hear and there ...its all good.That crapy cut was costing me $15.00 now I save the cash.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantress View Post
Hairstyling is an art.

At an upscale salon you're paying for expertise, training (that most stylists go through monthly to stay current and trendy), products used (high end color etc) and treatment. Most salons do not charge different prices. Instead the menu is based on services. For instance, my haircut is usually $70.00 dollars, but if combined with coloring, it's slightly discounted. This works for both male and female clientele.

If you're looking for inexpensive pricing that is across board for all, try SuperCuts or another chain. Most of their stylists are proficient at simple doos.

Happy hair moments all!
You know, I think this is really true (hairstyling is an art).

I have had the same hairstylist for I would guess around 12-15 years and I swear her approach to cutting is never the same, even when I am getting the same cut. It usually comes out about the same, but sometimes it is a little different. I would say that it wasn't until about a year ago that I stopped being my neurotic self and ceased questioning what she was doing (if she was doing it "right").

One day I noticed the look in her eyes while she was cutting...it was this sense of passion she had...I said, "this is like art to you, isn't it?" And she was like, "absolutely". So, I pretty shut up after that day b/c I finally "got it".

Her cost went dramatically up when th eshop decided to put all the hairstylists on a scale. Like A1 - A4, or something like that. It is based on skill set, classes, etc., like Enchantress mentioned. My hairstylist is all about learning new things and is constantly taking new classes and getting excited about products. She always has an "intern" in tow, as well.

The cost for a cut is $39 (she is an A4, or whatever the top is). This includes a shampoo. It may or may not include conditioner or a blow dry (don't know). Sometimes I just get a "wet down" b/c I don't feel dealing with someone all up in my head (people other than my stylist).

It doesn't matter male or female, the cost is the same.

When there was a separate cost for men and women she charged me the men's price.

I like my stylist. She is on time. She is quick. She gets I'm a guy and wouldn't consider using anything but men's products on me or recommending men's products for purchase.

Unfortunately, I have a habit of encouraging my gfs to go there, so I have several exes who I could run into at any given time! ;-)

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

You know Dapper that is so true about it being an art. Most people don't realize the cost and continuing education of a hairstylist. I looked up the NC Barber schools and if you want to do the whole shebang, the hairstyling, the nails, makeup, it can cost in excess of $10,000 for a one year course. That ain't cheap and they must take continuing education classes like you said at an additional cost.

The old dudes in barbershops don't go thru all that, if you just want to cut hair I think the tuition was like around $6000 which still ain't that cheap and if you want to stay current on styles then there's additional cost for that continuing education.

I'm like you, I've had the same woman cutting my hair for years now, she charges me the men's rate cuz my hair is relatively easy to cut, I always tip her $5 and at Christmas it's $30. They have to make a living as well, are always standing on their feet, usually wind up with a lot of leg issues from standing all day as well as carpal tunnel which could kick them out of their chosen field. They often have long hours as well and work most Saturdays. If they aren't the shop owner then they have to pay part of what they take in to the shop owner to rent a chair in the shop which could be upwards of 60% of what they take in. It's surely not a profession I would enter into, so I don't begrudge one penny I have to pay to them.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #25
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

In terms of tipping, I always do 15%.

Question for the hair stylists around: Is this standard/accepted practice?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
In terms of tipping, I always do 15%.

Question for the hair stylists around: Is this standard/accepted practice?

She charges me $18 for a haircut and I tip $5 so I'm about in line with you I reckon. It'll be interesting to see what hairstylists here have to say.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomnNC View Post
She charges me $18 for a haircut and I tip $5 so I'm about in line with you I reckon. It'll be interesting to see what hairstylists here have to say.
Yeah, I just kind of went with what is standard tipping for restaurant/bar service around here and never really thought about it beyond that (until now, obviously!)

I would like to be sure that I am in line with what is customary.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation
Default It is an art.

I have weird hair and have been on a search for someone who can do a good job with my unruly hair for years and years. I have thin spots, thick spots, naturally curly limp hair. When I have bangs I want them really short. So essentially my hair is a bitch to do well. I have gone to the chain places like Fantastic Sams to uber-expensive places and have had horrid experiences at both. I have finally found someone who understands my hair, listens to what I want and is highly trained through quarterly classes at Bumble and Bumble in NYC (and I live in Louisville) and I let her try the new stuff out on me when it would work. AND she shows me what to do to make my hair look exactly like it does when she styles it...it's never as nice but it is in the same ballpark. I like to keep my hair relatively short (chin-length graduated bob with layers in the back because it's so thick back there) but there are times where I tell myself I am going to grow it out and I get sick of it and go back and get it cut. She sees my gray hair coming in and doesn't try and get me to dye it because I refuse. She is the best.

I also pay for the best. I pay about $100 every time I see her and that includes getting my do done, my brows done and a tip. If I need my bangs trimmed I can walk-in and she won't charge me but I'll give her $10.
I am pretty thrifty and cringe when I have to pay over $40 for most anything, and this is one of the exceptions. Unfortunately, I am moving this summer and will have to go on the search once again. Yuck.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #29
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

I hear ya puregrrl. Ya get a good one that listens to ya or knows how you want it and don't try to sell ya everything under the sun and either they up and move or you up and move, lol. I'm trying to think, I think I've only had 6 people cut my hair my entire life and I'm 54, lol. I guess that's not to bad, lol, at least I'm loyal!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:
Putting My Heart Back Together

1 Highscore

proximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputation

In my experience, I've found that going to the beauty school is always the best option for me. I pay $8.50 for shampoo, cut, blow-dry and style... and I usually tip $4-5. I guess the way I see it is, because I usually go for edgy haircuts, my friends who are there with the mohawks and purple hair are probably the best ones to do my hair...
proximitywithoutintimacy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #31
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

I pay £30 (approx $50) on average for a very quick cut and shampoo ... takes 10 to 15 minutes max and the quality is very hit and miss.

I've been struggling to find a good hairdresser here in London ... one of my best friends was a hairstylist in my previous location (Belfast) and I was able to always get a fantastic cut that suited me for around half the price I'm paying in London and some good conversation and coffee thrown in also.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomnNC View Post
I hear ya puregrrl. Ya get a good one that listens to ya or knows how you want it and don't try to sell ya everything under the sun and either they up and move or you up and move, lol. I'm trying to think, I think I've only had 6 people cut my hair my entire life and I'm 54, lol. I guess that's not to bad, lol, at least I'm loyal!
I will do you one better, my man!

2 hair stylists in 41 years!

Seriously. Went to my first one starting at age 9 (I assume my mother did it before then). Saw her until I switched to this one 13 or so years ago.

THAT is loyal!

(of course, it is notable that I am a commitment phobe in my personal life, so maybe I shouldn't start shouting from the rooftops! ha!)

Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #33
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

for the last few yrs my son and i have used the same hairdresser....she is an older woman,her help is older as well,and a lot of her clientele are older/elderly ppl..she charges everyone the same price...$10 for a wash,cut and dry--regardless of sex or age--i stick with her simply bc my son is picky and this is only the 3rd person is has liked
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #34
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I will do you one better, my man!

2 hair stylists in 41 years!

Seriously. Went to my first one starting at age 9 (I assume my mother did it before then). Saw her until I switched to this one 13 or so years ago.

THAT is loyal!

(of course, it is notable that I am a commitment phobe in my personal life, so maybe I shouldn't start shouting from the rooftops! ha!)
Yep, that is loyal! Well mine either moved out of the city I was living, had one die of breast cancer when she didn't need to do so, crazy church she got involved with didn't believe in modern medicine or surgery. I could still kick her butt, left a 9 yr old son behind. But, yep, ya got me on that one.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #35
redrose

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
at peace

redrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputationredrose Has the BEST Reputation

my favorite salon:
GOING STRAIGHT SALON LOL!!!

I require myself to have my favorite hair treatment, once a year,
I call this maintenance, to keep my hair healthy and neat.
cost = 1,500 in Philippine peso or $34.77 (P1,500 / $43.14)
for me, this is expensive

and have my hair trimmed, (2 inches, lol!) every other month, well, in a different salon

http://youtu.be/N0SgLJEtaok
redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redrose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #36
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

As a hairstylist I understand the cost of haircuts. There are some salons that charge a set price whether male or female. Some even have a lower price for a clipper cut and clipper cut only, this means one length all over.
I love what I do and it comes across in the work that I do. Whether it is a simple haircut to a more edgy look you will get the same treatment. I have done my fair share of off the wall and totally crazy haircuts. I have etched favorite numbers, team logos and I have even done a checker board. All I totally enjoyed doing. We must not forget the mullet, but that in and of itself is 2 haircuts so you better believe I am going to charge accordingly.
If you are going to tip by all means be generous, 5 bucks is nice but if you are getting a color done consider the time and effort that goes into this sort of application. Many stylist have gone to booth rent which in some places is ridiculously high which means you will pay more for a service and even those that aren't booth rent charge more depending on the level of stylist you are dealing with. Some even have a base rate that is just at minimum wage and if you don't hit that base rate in dollars per hour you can lose your job, which in my opinion sucks! I work very hard for every dollar I make, but if you think it is costly by all means buy your own clippers and take a whack at it.
Just my .02...
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #37
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
As a hairstylist I understand the cost of haircuts. There are some salons that charge a set price whether male or female. Some even have a lower price for a clipper cut and clipper cut only, this means one length all over.
I love what I do and it comes across in the work that I do. Whether it is a simple haircut to a more edgy look you will get the same treatment. I have done my fair share of off the wall and totally crazy haircuts. I have etched favorite numbers, team logos and I have even done a checker board. All I totally enjoyed doing. We must not forget the mullet, but that in and of itself is 2 haircuts so you better believe I am going to charge accordingly.
If you are going to tip by all means be generous, 5 bucks is nice but if you are getting a color done consider the time and effort that goes into this sort of application. Many stylist have gone to booth rent which in some places is ridiculously high which means you will pay more for a service and even those that aren't booth rent charge more depending on the level of stylist you are dealing with. Some even have a base rate that is just at minimum wage and if you don't hit that base rate in dollars per hour you can lose your job, which in my opinion sucks! I work very hard for every dollar I make, but if you think it is costly by all means buy your own clippers and take a whack at it.
Just my .02...
Ok, so I always pay over $5 tip, as I tip at least 15% tip for any hair care service.

Being that other hair services is more than a cut, would you say that 15% is fair?

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #38
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper, I have personally been tipped almost 50%...
But,15% is nice, some even go so far as to tip 20%. Thank you for doing your part in keeping your stylist happy!
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #39
Holly.88

How Do You Identify?:
Male and Unc to my God Son
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him, he, and 'hey, handsome' :P
Relationship Status:
She said "Yes!"

Holly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST Reputation

I got my first "butch" hair cut earlier this year, at the ripe old age of 22 :P Up to this point, I kept my hair long and pulled back into a ponytail because I never felt that I had to have my hair short just because I identify as a butch lesbian, and I wanted it long enough to donate to Locks of Love. One day, I decided I was ready to cut my hair for the first time in more than ten years. My twin sister and best friend both insisted that I go see their hair dresser, Dawn. She charges me $20 for a wash and cut rather then $35, and I always leave her at least a $10 tip. $30, in my opinion, is well worth it for me to have a hair cut I actually like.
Holly.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixenagogo View Post
now if you develop a relationship with your stylist by being a good client they may realize that your service is less time or fuss and charge accordingly.

The relationship does help. I can get a color, cut, style and waxing for less than $60-not including tip. A coworker spends $100 for a color and cut only. Additionally, WHERE you are matters. I go to a stylist in a small town where as my coworker goes to a stylist in a more upscale area.

I have friends who go to barbershops and swear by the cut and service they get.